National Rifle Association Disinvites US Concealed Carry Assoc. from Annual Meeting

U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA)
U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA)
U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA)
U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA)

West Bend, WI –-(Ammoland.com)- The United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) today announced that the National Rifle Association (NRA) has disinvited the organization from its 2017 Annual Meetings & Exhibits and the 2018 Great American Outdoor Show because of “concerns regarding its programs.”

The move shocked the leadership of the USCCA because they were given less than two weeks notice that they had been banned from the annual show, even though they had attended for the past several years. This decision also came as a surprise because over the past two months, the leadership from the NRA and the USCCA met twice to discuss the shared goal of the two organizations in support of the Second Amendment.

In a note sent to millions of USCCA supporters, Founder and President Tim Schmidt said that even though the NRA might be fearing the competition, USCCA will still support the NRA’s efforts to protect the Second Amendment.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little perplexed myself. The truth is, I don’t really know the motive behind the NRA’s move. I mean, the USCCA has ALWAYS had a great relationship with the NRA. And the way I see it, we’re all in this together,” Schmidt said.

“If I had to guess, I’d say that perhaps this is a strategic business maneuver,” added Schmidt. “I mean, the concealed carry market has really exploded over the last decade — just look at how long the USCCA has been around! Maybe the NRA recognizes us as the frontrunner in providing the absolute best education, training and self-defense insurance in the industry. And perhaps they’re starting to see us less as a partner and more as a competitor.”

“As much as it sort of stings that we got ‘booted’ from the NRA Show, I believe that this sort of competition is a good, healthy and even exciting thing — especially from a goliath like the NRA.”

“Whether or not the NRA supports us, we will continue to support them,” Schmidt said. “We will continue to believe in their mission. We will continue to respect the historical significance of what they have done to preserve and protect our God-given rights. And we will always support their legislative and lobbying efforts. I personally will continue to donate to the NRA as a proud Lifetime Member.”

The U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) provides education, training and self-defense insurance to responsible American gun owners. Headquartered in West Bend, WI, the USCCA is the largest and fastest-growing, member-owned, private association whose sole focus is the responsibly armed American.

JD
JD
1 year ago

Tim, It seems that you are a bit more willing to stick your head out to take on more risk. With this said, don’t blame the NRA in their attempt to reduce their liability in the public eye. They still carry the biggest stick around and we must continue to support them and not quibble about the little things. Keep the pressure on my friend!

Ralph
Ralph
1 year ago

NRA SOLD OUT UNFORTUNATELY

Don Razskazoff
Don Razskazoff

I am an NRA member at Benefactor level. The recent hullaballoo over inclusion of a rival insurance outlet at a major NRA event, in my opinion, is rather petty on the part of the NRA, and likewise, restrictions cast by the USCCA carry the same distinction. There is room for all. Both organizations lobbying for 2nd Amendment rights to continue for its members should demonstrate better cooperation.

John Pereira
John Pereira

With the Trump Administration’s conservative stand on the 2nd Amendment, business is going to be harder to “Trump Up.” All of the businesses providing legal service protection are going together more and more cannabalistic against one another. The truth is: There is room for everyone. We all need legal coverage! Let’s chill out! Bad move NRA!

John Pereira
John Pereira

I Think that the NRA decision involves the fact that they are also, like the USCCA, involved in promoting legal services for gun owners. Their decision to disinvite the USCCA is solely based on $$$$ at the convention. Will they also do the same to other legal services for gun owners like Texas Law Shield? There ought to be room for everyone at the NRA Conventions.

John B Page
John B Page

The NRA continues to be the most effective political lobbying organization for gun owners. They represent millions of law abiding citizens that support the 2A and they deserve all the support they get; however, NRA needs to be more tolerant of other organizations that may offer competition in insurance or other programs of interest to gun owners. They should not have excluded USCCA from participation in the NRA annual show this year.

John B Page
John B Page

It appears to me that NRA & USCCA are both reputable 2nd ammendment supporters that have individual advantages for gun owners. Competition always helps to keep organizations honest and more reliable. Gun owners have a choice to support either one or both of these respectable organizations without harsh criticism of one or the other!

Ben Able
Ben Able

I was about ready to “disavow” the NRA because of what appeared to be associated with what appears to be just another tactic to sell unnecessary insurance. It really ticks me off every time I see one of those ads trying to make law enforcement the “bad guys” in these incidents. I spent almost thirty years in law enforcement about half of that as Chief of Police for two small cities one in Oregon and one inTennessee.If one of my officers had ever arrested someone under the conditions usually outlined he would have been terminated immediately. Most of the comments… Read more »

Brandon Fisher
Brandon Fisher

I also am an NRA Endowment Member and USCCA member. However I am also an NRA instructor in 2 categories and RSO. I have looked at the USCCA training curriculum and even used parts of it in my classes because I am an associate instructor through the USCCA also. But its nothing the NRA doesn’t have and as had for many years with their law enforcement training and defensive pistol courses. From that angle I am fine with the NRA programs and training curriculums. Proficiency requires proper instructor and consistent practice. Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect and… Read more »

MR Len
MR Len

It’s sad that the NRA continues to work only for it’s own enrichment, and not 2A rights. Organizations like Gun Owners of America spend their money on actual lobbing and legal action, not schemes to pay themselves more. The NRA’s treatment of USCCA, with a last minute surprise cancellation, is really shameful. GOA will get my $$ from now on.

AFGus
AFGus

I am a NRA Member as well as a USCCA Member. I think what the NRA did is unconscionable, but I’m not going to go as far as ending my membership in the NRA. They are still the preeminent fighters for our 2nd Amendment rights, as well as providing great firearms instructors all over the country. I will however not even consider the NRA’s new insurance program due to the anti-competitor stance that they have taken against USCCA and 2nd Call. Competition in the gun industry is a good thing, and I’m ashamed that the NRA is being this petty.… Read more »

L Mills
L Mills

Tim and the USCCA is trying to make a living like the rest of us. It’s a free market. If you don’t like him, shop elsewhere. I have found his magazine to be most helpful and informative. His training stuff has been very helpful to me for basic handgun classes and more. With the launch of the NRA branded “insurance” this past week, I suspect they want ANY competition present at their party. The NRA should stick to politics and stay out of the sales game. This will effect this NRA LIFE MEMBER contributions (negatively) going forward. I have contacted… Read more »

hijinx60
hijinx60

Whenever the NRA, USCCA, or any other pro 2A organization tries to hinder any other, they are doing a great disservice to the cause. Like the military, we must all work together to advance or just hold the line on the rabid anti-gun agenda or we will all lose. No anti-gun legislation ever introduced exempted any organization from obeying it.

Reply to  hijinx60

Agreed.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  hijinx60

hi jinx! Yes, it is so. Join one. Join all. Or any combination that you desire, but now is our time.

NRA lifer
NRA lifer

I was a member of USCCA early on, enjoyed, and shared their magazine with other shooters. Back they, they offered their insurance as an optional program to their magazine. Then…. suddenly…. they changed their whole program… If you wanted the magazine, you HAD TO BUY THE INSURANCE! This came about shortly after the “You Have To Pass The Insurance Bill To Find Out What Is in The Bill” was passed…. anyone remember that? Do you like being forced to buy insurance? I don’t. So I quit USCCA, and sent a letter of complaint. No reply from them, but I guess… Read more »

Bob in Florida
Bob in Florida
Reply to  NRA lifer

Yes, I remember it! At the time I let my USCCA Membership lapse. Each time I got a membership request from them, I responded saying that I liked, and missed, their magazine and on-line material (at least, most of it!), but I was not interested in their insurance. It was not long before I was able to just renew my subscription (I still get the myriad of on-line pitches to buy their ‘insurance’ products). Undoubtedly, I was not the only one who expressed such concerns. Let them know what you think – but, don’t ‘cut off your nose to spite… Read more »

Spiderbites
Spiderbites
Reply to  Bob in Florida

ditto

VT Patriot
VT Patriot

Very disappointed in the NRA. “If you like your Insurance provider – – – “. Are they bulldozing their plan on all of us?

K. Ortego
K. Ortego
Reply to  VT Patriot

They are not forcing you to buy it. I was a member of USCCA until they tried to force me to buy insurance to be a member. Had to say by. Dues went from about 45.00 a year to over 100.00. No thanks. Not for a magazine and no representation in DC. Sorry, doesn’t pass the smell test.

Wayne Clark
Wayne Clark

Ousted because of, “concerns regarding it’s programs”? And then MLeake says, “The official response I received was that it was a business decision, and that NRA would now offer products in competiton with USCCA.” So which is it NRA? USCCA’s programs are reprehensible to the point of getting kicked out of your shows, or are they a threat to your bottom dollar? NAGR, TFA, FPA, GOA, IDPA, SAF, Students For Concealed Carry On Campus, are more organizations that lobby for gun rights & everyone of them have to have some form of membership & a way to raise money to… Read more »

Tionico
Tionico

When I am in the market for a given product I want to examine and evaluate EVERY available version of it, to make sure I get the best fit for MY needs.. If NRA crowd out an entity offering a retail product similar to one of their own, they do a disservice to anyone “in the market” for that product. Many will buy the NRA product simply out of brand loyalty, and that’s fine. But others need to know about options. I just spent four days at the annual world Coffee EXPO in Seattle.. 13,000 plus attendees from all over… Read more »

K. Ortego
K. Ortego
Reply to  Tionico

You can still be a member of USCCA and be forced to buy their insurance. The competition is still there. USCCA just won’t be at the NRA’s meeting. Heck, let USCCA have their own meeting. Buy your insurance where ever you want. this is still a free country.

BillyBob Texas
BillyBob Texas

Competition is good.

Using NRA membership money to promote (subsidize?) their product is WRONG! If their product can stand on its own – then why stomp on the competition? Either is good – or it is not. Let the market decide. NOT using my membership $$ to subsidize it….

NRA Life Member 45 yrs. Endowment Member 30 yrs.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

I’m also both NRA and USCCA member. I believe USCCA offers fairly good value insurance coverage. However, regarding their other programs… constant sweepstakes and flood of spam-like emails are at lest annoying. I don’t always agree with their training materials – personally I see PDN has much more realistic approach to self-defense training. What bothers me most, though, is their recently launched Women Community. It does nothing but promotes snowflake-like mindset. It’s so feminist: anything and everything in the gun community is somehow interpreted as anti-women. Their blog employs the same twisted logic and tactics that liberals and anti-gunners do.… Read more »

Reply to  Elizabeth

I am not familiar with the USCCA Women Community.

However, I see what I consider to be silly approaches to training women in other areas than firearms. For instance, women-only self defense classes.

In theory, they make women feel more comfortable. As I see it, those basic classes should still, at some point, have women do drills with men. Unless they expect to be attacked only by women or trans men, they should learn to work through discomfort in those classes…

Raconteur
Raconteur

This “The NRA is the only gun rights/freedom/insurance/instruction/organization” in America, has become the norm in the eyes and the publications of the NRA. Rare indeed, is the time you will read any NRA news release that mentions another gun org that is working on a court case in conjunction with the NRA. According to the NRA, they are the “Only Ones” (Apologies to David Codrea).
From the exorbitant and overly generous salary paid to LaPierre, to the incompetent meddling in state and local elections, the NRA has become a money hungry, political narcissist.

Reply to  Raconteur

Apparently Alan Gottlieb and Alan Gura are just figments of the imagination. So too must be CalGuns…

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Raconteur

, About the salary and money part, don’t forget that Barry Soetoro’s (aka Barack Obama) first act was to diminish the purchasing power of the dollar to fifty percent. Barry did that so that he could pay the Chinese back in reduced value dollars. In doing that dollar reduction action Barry also cut your savings and paycheck in half.
That is why nothing in the store seems like a good deal anymore, and the cost of cars seems astronomical. So LaPierre’s salary, also, buys only half as much.

Raconteur
Raconteur
Reply to  Wild Bill

So, for how many years has LaPierre been getting $1+ million/year, of our dues? Yeah, poor baby can barely manage due to Obama’s inflation.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Raconteur

@R, LaPierre did prevent hiLIARy from becoming president. Imagine a President Rodham-Clinton nightmare.

Reply to  Wild Bill

You keep saying that. Marion Hammer would have opposed Hillary, too.

Any NRA head who wanted to keep his job would have.

You credit LaPierre with the voting pattern of NRA members. I would suggest you reverse your theory of causality.

Dave
Dave

Huge blunder. From a business perspective, when you carefully analyze the coverage offered by these two entities (each to some degree lacking in their own regard), there was great potential to working together to provide the ultimate coverage for the concealed carrier. Another example of how personal traits can get in the way of real progress (not to mention huge business success). Of course, the assumption of a defensive posture will dispute this possibility. Coverage that would provide for ALL of the needs of defensive shooting event would be a universally welcomed. Currently that can only be achieved by maintaining… Read more »

craig
craig

As far as the USCCA’S pop up ads go, they are just one of many from different companies that I get daily. Just click delete or you can completely block them. Why is that so hard?

Rick Casselman
Rick Casselman

This is total BS. The NRA is afraid that the USCCA will take insurance business from them. I am a member of both organizations and the USCCA’s insurance is far superior to the NRA’S. Both organizations have the same mission and the same goals. If I were Tim I wouldnt bw wondering why I was banned but would be on the phone getting answers.

Bill
Bill

Now I know why I did not re-new my membership with the NRA. I had a feeling something was wrong with the organization.

K. Ortego
K. Ortego
Reply to  Bill

Let the USCCA fight in DC for you. See what that gets you. O

Andy Buckmichael
Andy Buckmichael

Tim Schmidt is a total annoyance.

Patrick Sperry
Patrick Sperry

Typical business behavior of the NRA. As long as you kow tow, and toe their line it’s all fine and dandy. That includes ponying up money for every emergency of the week’s defense. Supporting things like ex post facto law while parading around and stating how they are so pro Bill of Rights. Oops! But just 2A… Yeah right. No hunting, competing, or any thing else that is directly related. Unless they can make a buck.
I am a Life Member, and I was insulted when they endorsed democrats in Republican clothing during the last election here in Wyoming.

James M
James M

Uscca has always come across as a scam. Hard to take a company seriously when their sales tactics resemble most pop up adds, or spam messages.

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up
Reply to  James M

Yes, the sales part is a bit hardcore, but the magazine is informative and very little politics and no begging for donations on every page, unlike the NRA. I am a life member of the NRA and a USCCA member.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove

I subscribed to the “newsletter” and all I ever got was ads. I suppose that one must join to get any information.

Don Razskazoff
Don Razskazoff

Not so proud to be an NRA Life/Benefactor level member any longer. They are acting “Un-American”.

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up
Reply to  Don Razskazoff

Agreed. I just sent a message through their carry guard website expressing my dissatisfaction. There is another story in Ammoland today about their dis-inviting Second Call, too.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

The NRA file suit, just this morning, against the state of California regarding its unconstitutional firearms laws. So far, the NRA is the only hope of California gun owners. The NRA and our gun owning brothers and sisters are going to need all the support that we can give them.

Reply to  Wild Bill

I am not sure who is deleting my replies…

NRA is the only group fighting California gun control?

You have never heard of CalGuns?

Reply to  MLeake

Edit: My earlier posts just showed up again. May have been an issue with my own browser…

Reply to  Don Razskazoff

I contacted the NRA via the member’s website to point out that, as an NRA Life Member but also a member of USCCA, SAF, ACLDN, etc I was perplexed as to why they had disinvited USCCA. The official response I received was that it was a business decision, and that NRA would now offer products in competiton with USCCA. I responsed that business competiton is fine, but wedge moves like this one make for horrible optics, and that I thought it was a bad decision. No further response from NRA. This will affect my donation decisions. I suspect it will… Read more »

DrSique
DrSique
Reply to  Don Razskazoff

As demonstrated by their behavior in the recent McConnell- Bevin primary, they have become nothing more than an organized shill for the Republican Establishment, irregardless of the strong 2A positions of the opposition. After they supported McConnell during his vile campaign against Bevin, I wrote to them expressing my concern about their unnecessary involvement in a primary. The NRA did not even have the consideration to write me back and tell me to eff off. Shame on them. It is no longer the organization that Charlton Heston was a champion for. There are other 2A organizations that I choose to… Read more »

Tired of the old guard at the NRA...
Tired of the old guard at the NRA...
Reply to  Don Razskazoff

I dropped out of the NRA yesterday…I’m tired of them asking, begging, for money every month. This story was the trigger for me to drop out. I’ve supported the NRA off and on for many years. I’m done with them. New leadership is needed. Wayne L. needs to go!

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

@Tired, Wayne L. prevented hiLIARy from being president.

Reply to  Wild Bill

Single-handed?

You mean other gun organizations were for Hillary?

Or you think NRA had more impact than Drudge and Breitbart?

K. Ortego
K. Ortego

At least the NRA gives you a choice. USCCA decided all by itself that I had to buy insurance from them or I couldn’t be a member anymore. I think this is still America and we still should have a choice on these matters. Had to drop my membership in USCCA because I will not be forced to buy insurance from them just to be a member. That’s Obama’s America, not mine.