PRATT, Kan. -(Ammoland.com)- The application deadline for limited elk and either-species deer firearm permits is July 14, 2017. Kansas residents are eligible to apply online for one of 12 Either-species Elk permits and 15 Antlerless-only Elk permits allocated for Unit 2a (Ft. Riley).
And resident hunters who want to hunt mule deer with a firearm can apply for limited Either-species Deer permits valid in the East or West zone.
A hunter who does not wish to hunt this year may purchase a preference point that will count toward a firearm Either-species/Either-sex Deer permit in a future drawing or a bonus point for limited elk permits.
Elk permit applicants only pay the application fee ($12.81) when applying. Successful applicants will be notified by mail and the permit fee will be collected. Unsuccessful applicants will automatically receive a bonus point.
Anyone who receives a limited Either-sex Elk permit is not eligible to apply again. Anyone who receives a limited Antlerless-only Elk permit may not apply again for a five-year period. All deer and elk permit applicants can view drawing results online two to four weeks after the application deadline.
To apply or learn more, visit their website and click on “Hunting,” then “Applications and Fees,” or call (620) 672-0728.
- Elk seasons for Ft. Riley are: Muzzleloader and Archery – Sept. 1-Sept. 30, 2017; Firearm Season for Either-species elk – Oct. 1-Dec. 31, 2017; Firearm antlerless, first segment – Oct. 1-31, 2017; Firearm antlerless, second segment – Nov. 1-30, 2017; and Firearm antlerless, third segment – Dec. 1-31, 2017.
- The firearm deer season is Nov. 29-Dec. 10, 2017. Either-species, Either-sex Deer permits allow the holder to take a mule deer or white-tailed deer, buck or doe.
- Deer Firearm Either-species/Either-sex permit: General Resident – $52.50; Resident Landowner/Tenant – $32.50; Resident Youth (15 and younger): $22.50; Nonresident Tenant – $97.50; Preference Point – $11.50
- Elk Firearm Either-sex: General Resident – $302.50; Landowner/Tenant – $152.50; Resident Youth (15 and younger) – $127.50; Nonresident Tenant – $152.50; Bonus point – $12.81.
- Elk (antlerless): General Resident – $152.50; Landowner/Tenant – $77.50; Resident Youth (15 and younger) – $52.50; Nonresident Tenant – $77.50