USA -(Ammoland.com)- Twenty-nine Arkansans will have the opportunity to hunt for and harvest an Arkansas elk during the public land elk hunts this October and November after being drawn during the annual Buffalo River Elk Festival.
More than 3,000 applications from online registrations taken in May filled the squirrel cage on center stage at the festival in Jasper on Saturday. Twenty-six winners were chosen between the festival’s events to fill the available slots for this year’s hunt.
An additional three permits were reserved for on-site applicants only. This year three lucky ladies had their names pulled from the batch of 594 on-site applications.
The number of applications dropped slightly this year. Last year, 4,894 applications were received online, compared to this year’s total of 3,019 online applicants.
Wes Wright, elk program coordinator for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, says the drop was expected with the recent change to the AGFC online permit system. All drawn permit applications now require a non-refundable $5 application processing fee.
“We had instances where applicants were drawn who did not have any hunting experience or experience handling a firearm,” Wright said. “And we’ve had people draw and not show up for the hunt or only hunt the first day and quit. We wanted to make sure people were serious about entering.”
Private land elk permit applications will still be accepted through July 15. Landowners enrolled in the AGFC Elk Management Assistance Program may apply, and are issued a number of permits based on the acreage of their property. Landowners may transfer permits to eligible hunters. Hunters participating in the private land elk hunt must follow a quota system, with 12 bulls and 40 antlerless elk being available in this year’s quota hunt.
In addition to drawn hunts and private land quota hunts, any elk outside of Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties may be legally taken by a hunter who is hunting for deer with a limit of one, either sex elk per year.
Visit their website for more information on elk hunting in Arkansas.
October 2-6, 2017 Hunt Participants:
- Susan Smith, Pocahontas, Either Sex – on-site draw winner
- Jason Dodson, Bella Vista, Antlerless
- Betty Brandt, Jasper, Antlerless – on-site draw winner
- Trinity Story, Yellville, Antlerless – on-site draw winner
- Jamee Spears, Jacksonville, Antlerless
October 30-November 3, 2017 Hunt Participants:
- Larry Mallette, Hot Springs, Either Sex
- Barton Moore, White Hall, Antlerless
- Bradley Stratton, Fayetteville, Antlerless
- Benjamin Moore, Brookland, Youth Either Sex
- Joshua Langston, Mountain View, Either Sex
- Garry Sanders, Fort Smith, Antlerless
- John Bruner, Washington, Antlerless
- Robert Smith, Quitman, Antlerless
- Randall James, Garfield, Antlerless
- Leslie Smithpeters, Arkadelphia, Antlerless
- Michael Freppon, Bald Knob, Youth Either Sex
- Robert Kumsher, Lakeview, Either Sex
- Scott Hart, North Little Rock, Antlerless
- Garry King, Mayflower, Antlerless
- Richard Holtquist, Farmington, Antlerless
- Jaydon Younger, Paragould, Antlerless
- Don Tomlinson, Batesville, Antlerless
- Nicholas Turpin, Benton, Either Sex
- Regina Gunderson, Morrilton, Either Sex
- Jason Burns, Bald Knob, Antlerless
- Nicholas Drake, Quitman, Antlerless
- Duane Hada, Yellville, Antlerless
- Bryan Black, Searcy, Antlerless
- Stefanie Weido, El Dorado, Antlerless