U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- For the last several years, I’ve posted a year in review for gun owners. These are the events that changed thousands of lives.
- The first good news was what you did during 2016. Time after time honest gun owners saved lives. Sometimes you saved yourself. Sometimes you saved many others. You stopped mass murder in December of 2016. Sorry that it took us a month to notice, but good job and thank you for carrying concealed when you can.
- On January 3rd, Representative Richard Hudson introduced the Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill into congress. Paul Ryan kept it bottled up in committee to die. The bill passed the House on December 6th.
- The 7th circuit court ruled that Chicago can’t outlaw firing ranges. The reason this is such a stinging issue to gun owners is that Chicago also required live-fire testing before you can receive a concealed carry permit. As of today, there are no ranges open to the public in Chicago.
- New Hampshire became a constitutional carry state. That means you don’t need a government permission slip to carry your legal gun in public. New Hampshire is the 16th state that has some form of unrestricted carry.
- Some social security recipients got their rights back. President Obama turned many socials security recipients into prohibited persons. Obama said they were mentally defective if these social security recipients had a financial advisor manage their social security payments. The Republican Majority rescinded President Obama’s reclassification.
- Ryan Zinke was confirmed as secretary at the US Department of the Interior. Zinke quickly rescinded the ban on lead bullets. He also opened more federal lands to hiking, shooting, and hunting.
- Neil Gorsuch was confirmed as a justice on the Supreme Court of the United States. Gorsuch replaced the late Antonin Scalia.
- Georgia passed campus carry..finally, after several tries.
- And speaking of campus carry, we want to remind you about the big news in Tennessee. Certainly, you read about it in the news? We were told that campuses would run red with blood. That is what the advocates for disarming innocent victims said would happen. That is what the uncritical media reported. Tennessee completed its first full year of having armed staff on college campuses..and the results never made the news..because nothing bad happened.
- Texas allowed concealed carry holders to carry on college campuses last year. This year, junior colleges were no longer gun-free zones for licensed concealed carriers. There were no incidents. Good news is no news when it comes to guns and the mainstream media.
- In Colorado, it has been legal for school administrators to arm school staff for some time. This year, formal training for that staff came to Colorado with the FASTER program. The training was well publicized and well received. It was amazing to hear the disarmament advocates say that we would all be safer if teachers were untrained.
- Montana decriminalized carrying a knife unless you’re an otherwise a prohibited person.
- Public transportation in Oklahoma is no longer a prohibited place to carry for licensed gun owners. Now honest gun owners who ride the bus are on the same footing as the criminals.
- Florida changed its criminal code so that if you claim self-defense, the burden of proof is on the state to show that your actions were not self-defense.
- Gun ownership gained broader acceptance across the country. More than 16 million people have carry permits in mid-2017. That does not count the people who can carry without a permit because they live in a constitutional carry state. We also saw a record number of women and racial minorities become gun owners and instructors. That is great news for everyone since women and minorities are disproportionately targeted as victims of violent crime.
- The Friday after Thanksgiving is usually a busy shopping day. When it comes to firearms, it is an extraordinarily busy day. It was the most active day ever for the FBI instant background check system that vets gun owners. Ordinary citizens purchased more than a fifth of a million firearms that day. Those are enough guns to re-equip the US Marine Corps with light weapons..and Merry Christmas too.
- The mainstream media lied about gun owners. They accepted lies from anti-gun sources and published them as truth. For example, a terrorist runs over people with a rented truck, and the media repeats the need for gun control. The mainstream media ignored the thousands of self-defense stories that make local newspapers every day. Today, we know that the media sells a political point of view. The good news for gun owners is that most of the public now recognizes how biased the mainstream media is, and has been.
- The Arizona Supreme Court put some teeth into state preemption laws. They said that Tucson could violate state law and destroy firearms, but the city would then lose state funding. When are we going to see preemption for the right to keep and bear arms rather than against it?
- In theory, you can get a concealed carry license in states like California and New Jersey. In fact, judges and politicians are the only ones who get their licenses in these “may-issue” states where the sheriff and police chief are allowed to pick and choose. Old white men get protection..and you don’t. So why is this good news? Now we know. Corruption is an old story, but in 2017 we documented the extent that our human rights were abused in these deep blue states.
- The U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia struck down Washington DC’s existing requirements to receive a carry permit. DC required applicants to show good cause. An ongoing pattern or violent threats or attacks was considered good cause if they were backed up by police reports. That standard was overthrown since the vast majority of DC citizens could never qualify. DC refused to appeal since the court ruling would be binding on a larger district if the case were upheld.
- We saw the growth and acceptance of concealed carry fashion shows this year. New gun owners don’t know who carries and how they carry. These fashion shows let the public see us and how we carry. The fashion shows also demonstrated that normal people carry guns, all the time, and everywhere.
- A murderer entered a church in Sutherland, Texas. He had a history of mental health issues and convictions for assault and battery. The murderer was prohibited from owning a firearm. He murdered 26 people before he was stopped. That is horrible news. Fortunately, the murderer stopped his attacks when he was shot by a neighbor who lived next door to the church. Thank god for that good guy with a gun. Millions of you decided you needed to carry concealed at church. Thank you too.
What would you add? RM
About Rob Morse
The original article is here. Rob Morse writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily, and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. Rob is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.