WEST POINT, MS –-(Ammoland.com)- The winter months are the best time to prune trees. Pruning is important for productivity of all trees, but fruit trees benefit the most from the practice. The GameKeepers of Mossy Oak have provided the following tips for pruning.
- Prune branches that are growing upwards (vertical branches) and leave the branches that grow horizontally. These are stronger and can hold the most fruits.
- If the tree is severely overgrown, you don’t want to prune everything all at once. It can be a process that lasts for two to four years depending upon how far gone the tree is and how much work needs to be completed.
- Remove any suckers or branches that are crowded within the interior of the tree. You want to open the tree for sunlight and air penetration.
- Prune any branches that are touching; they can rub together and be a vector for disease.
- There shouldn’t be multiple branches growing from the same height around the stem. This can be a weakness later on. Prune them so they grow alternately along the main stem.
- For wildlife, you don’t necessarily want to follow pruning suggestions for commercial or home orcharding. Most suggest keeping the tree at a height that facilitates picking. “Topping” the tree isn’t usually recommended when growing trees for wildlife, so keep that central leader so it can grow into a large tree capable of holding larger quantities of fruit or nuts.
- While pruning, remind yourself to step back and observe each cut. This keeps you from overdoing it.
Tree planting has played an important role in improving wildlife habitat for ages. For more tips and know-how on planting trees for wildlife, read “4 Reasons To Start Planting Trees,” or visit http://www.nativnurseries.com/.
To have your planting questions answered, call 662-494-4326.
These tips are courtesy of Mossy Oak GameKeepers. GameKeepers offers consumers the latest information and products for total land and wildlife management. We’ve learned our lessons the hard way and through www.gamekeeperclub.com, GameKeepers magazine and TV series on Pursuit Channel, we share and explore the way of the gamekeeper.
Haas Outdoors Inc. is headquartered in West Point, Miss., was established in 1986 and is home of Mossy Oak. For more than 30 years, Mossy Oak has been a leading outdoors lifestyle brand that specializes in developing and marketing modern camouflage designs for hunters and outdoors enthusiasts. The Mossy Oak Brand and patterns can be found on a multitude of products worldwide. Haas Outdoors Inc. is the parent company of Mossy Oak, BioLogic, Mossy Oak Productions, MOOSE Media, Nativ Nurseries, Nativ Living, GameKeepers, GameKeepers Kennels and Mossy Oak Properties. Mossy Oak is the official camouflage of the National Wild Turkey Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Quality Deer Management Association,and Mack’s Prairie Wings and the official pattern of B.A.S.S., MLF and Cabela’s Collegiate Bass Fishing Series.
Follow Mossy Oak on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest and YouTube.