U.S.A. -(Ammoland.com)- Despite the avalanche of sensational news coverage, I have not seen solid news reports about mass murders in our schools. We need to know where these murderers come from. We also need to know how to protect our students at school. I’ll try to cover that information, and this is the first of those two parts.
Part 1 – the Source of Modern Mass Murder
Part 2 – Protecting our Schools and Churches
Stopping Mass Murder at its Source
What is the psychology of mass murder?
Every parent has seen their child act out to get attention. If we deny our children wholesum attention then they will get our attention by other means. Now scale that behavior up to today’s young men. We’ve told our boys that men are bad. If they can’t get our approval for their virtues, then some young men will demand our attention with their vices. That is how we’ve built today’s mass murderers. Today’s mass media are all too eager to help.
What are the media doing to encourage this behavior?
Again dig back into your memories. We all have memories of that annoying friend or relative that is overly enthusiastic about their young child. A new parent can’t stop telling you about what their son or daughter did.
That is how our news media treats mass murderers today. The news media shows us the face and the name of their new favorite murderer. The media can’t stop talking about their latest infatuation. Did he kill 8 people or 12? No matter, the media drolls on about their latest celebrity crush. This infatuation has ugly results.
We deliver celebrity recognition to mass murderers.
A billion dollars of media exposure dredges up the next mass murderer. This infatuation isn’t healthy for the news media. The news media could tell us about the victims. It could tell us about the defenders and the first responders. The media could tell us that our children are many times safer at school than they would be if they were walking the streets of Chicago.
The media doesn’t tell us about that because they are too busy selling fear and outrage.
This infatuation isn’t healthy for us because it encourages our politicians to do stupid things. It also isn’t healthy for our children, particularly our young men.
Like most adolescent behaviour, the news/entertainment media can’t help themselves. We’ll have to intervene on their behalf.
What should we do?
This is what we need to do after the next mass murder. If you’re like I am, then that is the time you want to turn off the news. This time we’re watching while we’re on a mission. Bookmark this article and print out this form in advance. We can make the next mass murder our last.
- When you see the murderer’s face or hear the murderer’s name, then call the news outlet. Ask to speak with their news director. Tell him you resent the station popularizing mass murderers. Ask them to stop showing the murderer’s face and name.
- Call the advertisers. Tell them where you saw their advertisement and that you won’t buy from them since they are using dead kids to promote their product.
- For extra credit, post the results online. For example, post it on your Facebook page and on the advertiser’s social media page.
- Type of media- TV /Radio /newspaper /magazine /online
- Name of host of program-______________________
- Station call letters if any- ______________________
- Station network affiliation-_____________________
- Date and time- _____________________________
- Station contact information
- Advertiser’s name-___________________________
- Advertiser’s product-_________________________
- Advertiser’s contact information
Now we wait. This won’t stop terrorist bombings, but it will stop most of our mass murders in school.
Part two covers what we should do to protect our schools and churches.
About Rob Morse
The original article is here. Rob Morse writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily, and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. Rob is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.