Senator John McCain’s Passing, Comments by Newt Gingrich

Opinion

"McCain's Death Leaves Void"
“McCain's Death Leaves Void”

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- When Callista and I first heard the news that Senator John McCain had died we were deeply saddened for his family. We are especially close to his daughter, Meghan, and had watched her devote endless hours in Arizona being with her dad as he fought the same terrible brain malignancy which had taken Senator Ted Kennedy.

Senator McCain actually died on the ninth anniversary of Senator Kennedy passing away. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Meghan, her mother Cindy, and their entire family.

Senator McCain’s death is an appropriate time to think about this extraordinary man and his life.

I had been shaped in my view of McCain by my good friend Chuck Boyd. General Boyd had been a prisoner of war in Vietnam for nearly seven years (1966-1973) and is the only POW from the Vietnam War to achieve four star rank. He respected John McCain from the bottom of his heart. He felt that McCain had shown courage and loyalty both to America and to his fellow POWs.

By the time McCain won a House seat in 1982 he was already a significant figure. He had become close friends with the Reagans and was a remarkably effective congressional liaison for the Navy (often pushing a buildup in opposition to the Carter Administration for which he was supposedly working).

When John came to the House he was well known, energetic, enthusiastic, and very personable. Both Democrats and Republicans liked him.

He was also opinionated, argumentative, and enthusiastically prepared to stand up for his beliefs.

One of my most personal encounters with John was in 1986 when I was in a very intense fight with the Democratic leadership. Two physically large House Democrats came over and said they were sick and tired of what I was doing and I ought to know there would be a pay back. One of them said “we are coming for you.” I had not realized that McCain had calmly come over to stand next to me. The second the Democrat sounded threatening, John instinctively stepped closer to me and said “when you come for Newt come for me too, the name’s McCain.” I almost had the feeling I was seeing the kind of instinctive protectiveness he had developed for fellow Americans in the Vietnamese prison camp.

McCain’s greatest passion was for defending America. He spent endless hours trying to strengthen our military and to develop and implement effective strategies for national security. When he became chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee he asked me to join a small group that included then retired General Jim Mattis to discuss strategic planning for defense.

John was always pushing the margins, looking for new ideas, and trying to find better ways to do things.

McCain was a maverick in the Republican Party, in his approach to being a Senator, and in his relationship with presidents. Frankly, all three were good for America. We need a few more mavericks, not a few more conformists.

Senator McCain understood that the Constitution was designed to have a strong Senate which could stand up to the Executive Branch. In a series of policy fights he was prepared again and again to use his Senatorial powers to take on the bureaucracy and the president. His independence was bipartisan. He was prepared to take on President Bush, and he was prepared to take on President Obama. That is how our Constitution is supposed to work.

For 81 years John McCain loved his country, lived his life as a patriot, and accepted hardships with which few Americans have had to live.

The depth and intensity of McCain’s patriotism, his love for America, and his deep commitment to us remaining a free country are an inspiration to every American.

His is a life worth studying and praising.

Your Friend,
Newt

Newt Gingrich
Newt Gingrich

P.S. My new book, Trump's America: The Truth About Our Nation's Great Comeback is out and available for order.

About Newt Gingrich

Newt Gingrich is well-known as the architect of the “Contract with America” that led the Republican Party to victory in 1994 by capturing the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time in forty years. After he was elected Speaker, he disrupted the status quo by moving power out of Washington and back to the American people.

Gingrich Productions is a performance and production company featuring the work of Newt Gingrich and Callista Gingrich. Visit : www.gingrichproductions.com

Joe
Joe
1 year ago

Snopes, factcheck.org, or any mass propaganda cabal like abc,cbs,msnbc,nbc,pbs,upi,ap,npr,cnn all do their absolute best to do anything necessary to cover for leftists. Clintonista crime inc bought fact check before the election. Snopes is ran by a mom and pop that take a fact, add something outrageous or nonsense to it and “purse” the statement, making it look like it debunked the original claim when it didnt, or outright lying on claims to further the commies along in destroying from within. I see Khrushchev jr beating his baby soft manicured non callused hand hard enough to make shockwaves in his borscht… Read more »

Roy D.
Roy D.
1 year ago

If you look at the requirements for eligibility for burial at the Academy you will see he does not meet them. He could be inurned there by policy.

Joe
Joe
1 year ago

If his and teddy Kennedys moms had only swallowed….. the thing about being buried at Annapolis is I wont be able to exercise my first amendment right by taking a full bladder piss on his traitorous ass’s grave. 🙁 Obe the one stated in kenya that he was a Kenyan on video a few months back. Neal bush stole billions of dollars. Their grandpa was a nazi supporter and traitor during ww2. Funny how jfk’s shooters had the car stop and shots came from grassy knoll and bridge, but you cant even see where he was shot from the window… Read more »

Nottinghill
Nottinghill
1 year ago

“McCain’s Death Leaves Void”, what void? The sphincter closed immediately when he passed. Unfortunately the (stinky, sticky clingons) Bushes, Clintons and Soteros will be the runs, with corn and nuts and all, requiring a lot of wet wipes.

Multiple courtesy flushes are a given.

Boz
Boz
Reply to  Nottinghill

Amen Brother Patriot!

Herb
Herb
1 year ago

The prick was all for taking our guns, so good riddance!

Lord-Pi-314
Lord-Pi-314
Reply to  Herb

Him and Kennedy both died of the same brain malignancy ?. I wonder if it had anything to do with Kuru disease, the one you get from drinking the blood from children who have been sexually excited and then tortured to death. The practice goes back to Baal Worship in old Babylon, where they harvested the blood to get what is known today as ADRENOCHROME. Some think Killery has that disease because of the same practice. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the autopsy room and listen to what the doctors are mumbling to… Read more »

2WarAbnVet
2WarAbnVet
1 year ago

When I think of John McCain, I think of a man so petty and vindictive that he would sell out the American people in order to score a political victory over a political adversary. McCain campaigned on the promise to dismantle the abomination of Obamacare, but when the opportunity finally came to do so, cast the deciding vote to keep it in force. He then boasted to Senate colleagues that he had thwarted President Trump’s initiative. I think of a man so petty and jealous of the popularity of his 2008 running mate that he excluded her from his funeral.… Read more »

Alex
Alex
1 year ago

This article was just one asshole kissing another asshole’s Ass! McCain was a scumbag from the time he came out of his mother’s box.

Renfro
Renfro
1 year ago

The swamp will always have each other’s back. Democrat and Republicans.

tomcat
tomcat
1 year ago

They really showed a great amount of class at the funeral today. Megan used her eulogy to smear Trump, then limped down Bush continued and them Obumer got his me to time. For some reason I thought eulogy’s were to honor the deceased, not be politically incorrect. “I come here to bury Caesar, not merely to praise him.”

Colonialgirl
Colonialgirl
1 year ago

Newt; Sad to see the idiocy of you “trying” to be polite toward the death of an out and out traitor (Also known as the “Song Bird of the Hanoi Hilton) who not only betrayed his fellow POW’s but also revealed many military secrets to the NV’s. He SHOULD have been tried for treason and NEVER put into government. He was ALSO guilty of being involved in the Gang of Eight scandal where politicians were stealing money. He was a low life slime ball who was 5th from the bottom of his Navy Academy Class (where he should have NEVER… Read more »

TheHolyCrow
TheHolyCrow
Reply to  Colonialgirl

@CG….I wonder if the Forrestal ship mates have a gag order on them, like the Liberty Ship boys did. It would be interesting to hear from those guys first hand. They should get themselves videotaped for posterity.

Rock
Rock
Reply to  TheHolyCrow

McCain’s daddy had the records and thus the history changed forever to cover his “Maverick” sons Forrestal folly. Buried to never be known, heard or spoken of again. The war hero wet spot and his wet start cause of the fire, explosion, have been erased completely, like it never even happened. Even Snopes covers the facts. Job well done dad. I thought higher of Newt, than for him to pander the McCain “GOD” bullshit. Newt, sadly, is just praising his false god.

m.
m.
1 year ago

mcstain performed excellent service for ebola-bama and the pelosi-party. his service mates can judge his military deeds.

Pete
Pete
1 year ago

I was not a fan of McCain. I voted for him against Obama. With what we knew about her then, I may well have voted for Hillary against him. The news said he served six terms in the Senate. That was two too many.

Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy
1 year ago

How unique a supposed conservative in defense of a RINO.

Graystone
Graystone
Reply to  Green Mtn. Boy

Well said, Green Mountain Boy!!

tonospace@comcast.net
Reply to  Green Mtn. Boy

RINOs, the irremovable ink stains on America’s ‘New Shirt’. Throw them ALL out… literally!

Joe
Joe
1 year ago

Thank God and greyhound hes gone. I have previously said what a lying traitorous piece of shit rino no flying Nva record making powmia covering up CIA frontman that left his wife because she had a bad wreck lower than sedimentary whale shit lefty swamp scum this guy was, so I wont get into the fact he was promoted because of his father, lied about being tortured, sold out his country, violated the ucmj, sealed powmia records for the CIA, was a “maverick” in the Senate. What does that mean? Vote for every military industrial complex budget and against the… Read more »

John Galt
John Galt

Spare me.

mccain was as deep state as they get. If he had to die to be removed, if feinstein, pelosi, ginsburg, shumer and the other commie deep state traitors have to die for freedom to have any chance of survival then so be it, die and die soon.

Die and give America a chance to recover.

Newt can go to hell too. Deep state praising the deep state

F**k mccain

James Higginbotham
James Higginbotham
Reply to  John Galt

I AGREE WITH YOU.
THEY ALL NEED TO GIVE UP THE GHOST, AND SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.

Charlie
Charlie
1 year ago

Nice eulogy for a RINO! A war hero he was NOT! A great pilot he was NOT! A good GOP supporter of the President’s agenda he was NOT!

Hermie
Hermie
1 year ago

I just see a turd polishing another turd.

WFA
WFA
1 year ago

You have your opinion, I have mine, which appears to be shared by many other Navy Vets which served during “his time”. You are a very intelligent man, and I agree with much of what you write/say. At best, IMO, McCain was a “good bad example”.

RM
RM
1 year ago

Here is another view of John McCain, one that is supported by facts and not feelings: http://www.unzDOTcom/article/mccain-and-the-pow-cover-up/ Just substitute DOT with . in the above link. I’m not sure that ammoland approves posts with links. Here is a snip from the linked article: “Eighteen months ago, TAC publisher Ron Unz discovered an astonishing account of the role the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, John McCain, had played in suppressing information about what happened to American soldiers missing in action in Vietnam. Below, we present in full Sydney Schanberg’s explosive story.” John McCain worked very hard along with John Kerry to coverup… Read more »

VietnamBrownWaterVeteran
VietnamBrownWaterVeteran
Reply to  RM

Also Maybe the biggest RINO on the hill.

Rock
Rock
Reply to  RM

Ahhh John Kerry, another complete PIECE OF LYING SHIT !

Ron
Ron
1 year ago

Your a real Newt,Newt. Ya should crawl under a rock like most of those others in the ‘Swamp’ should.

Clark Kent
Clark Kent
1 year ago

Actually, his life is worth ‘studying and praising’ if you are North Vietnamese. You struck out on this one, Newt. Nice try; no cigar.

Graystone
Graystone
Reply to  Clark Kent

Clark, for once I completely agree with you!