Minnesota – -(AmmoLand.com)- Deer hunting is more than good business. For many, it's a family tradition, part of Minnesota's heritage. It is a way to get out and be active together in the great outdoors.
- Nearly one half-million, or 12 percent, of Minnesotans (residents age 16 and older) participate in deer hunting which is double the national average.
- Since 1998, our state constitution has supported hunting. By a three to one margin voters agreed to amend our constitution to say, “Hunting and fishing and the taking of game and fish are a valued part of our heritage that shall be forever preserved for the people and shall be managed by law and regulation for the public good.”
- In 2008 Minnesota voters passed the Legacy Amendment, again amending the state constitution to support hunting. The Legacy Amendment, through a slight increase in the sales tax, provides some $80 million a year for habitat conservation through the Outdoor Heritage Fund. Habitat conservation and sustainable hunting go hand-in-hand.
- The economic contribution of deer hunting alone supports 3,760 jobs throughout the state resulting in more than $234 million dollars of direct retail sales.
- Outdoor recreation is one of the main draws for visitors to Minnesota. Minnesota is known for its lakes and woods, and the abundance of outdoor recreation related to its natural resources.
- About 1.3 million Minnesotans have completed firearms safety training.
Join Governor Dayton to honor and promote Minnesota's deer hunting tradition on Thursday, November 1 at Grand Casino Hinckley. During the Governor's Deer Hunting Opener celebration, which runs from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Attendees will have the chance to take part in informational seminars and live demonstrations, browse deer hunting-related vendor displays, participate in raffles and auctions, hear live music, mingle with other deer hunting enthusiasts and professionals and celebrate camp camaraderie while enjoying gourmet hors d'oeuvres.
Tickets to the celebration are $50 and can be purchased locally at area Northview Bank locations or found online with additional event information at www.mngovernorsdeeropener.com. A very limited number of tickets may be available at the door.
As an added incentive, each ticket purchased will be entered into the door prize drawings for a lifetime deer hunting license or lifetime membership to the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association.
The Governor's Deer Hunting Opener promotes hunting and tourism and is being hosted by Governor Mark Dayton and is a partnership among the DNR, MDHA and its local chapters, Explore Minnesota and the Hinckley Convention & Visitors Bureau.
About Minnesota Deer Hunters Association
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association (MDHA) is comprised of volunteers that, together, raise funds that will stay in Minnesota to help wildlife and future generations of hunting and outdoor enthusiasts. Along with raising funds, MDHA’s democratic process helps guide legislative action at the capitol and guides our leaders on action items pertinent to the outdoors and habitat!
The key to any organization is educating the public and telling our story! www.mndeerhunters.com