Feel-Good Laws are Getting Us Killed..and it’s our fault

No Guns Gun Free Zone
Feel-Good Laws are Getting Us Killed..and it’s our fault

U.S.A. -(Ammoland.com)- We are responsible for our actions. No one questions my responsibility if I’m negligent and hit you with my car. Are we also responsible for how someone feels? Does it injure you if I fly the US flag? How about if I own a gun or carry that gun in a place you find uncomfortable? We can pass laws that make us feel better, but what should we do when these comfort-laws hurt people? Whose feelings take priority?

It may seem unfair, but let me resort to facts for a minute.

Politicians do anything to win votes. They will pass any law that sounds good and makes us feel better. Politicians lie to us and say they’ve made things better even when they made matters worse.

We’re frightened by the thought of a murderer coming to our church. Politicians passed laws saying guns aren’t allowed at church. We’re horrified that a murderer would come to our child’s school. Politicians passed laws saying law-abiding people can’t bring guns to school. We don’t want people to get drunk when they are carrying a gun, so politicians passed laws that disarm law-abiding people when they go to a bar.

Those laws let us feel better, but did those laws make us safer? You know the answer. You’ve seen the answer, and you remember how it feels.

We passed a law so we could feel safe when we pray. In theory, our feel-good law will stop a criminal from bringing a gun into a church or a synagogue. In practice, murderers don’t obey plastic signs. In practice, the law disarmed the flock and the shepherds.  We saw the horrible results last year at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. We saw the outcome this year at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. How did that feel?

Students are brought out of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School after a shooting at the school

In theory, our feel-good laws stopped a criminal from bringing guns into a bar. In practice, our feel-good law disarmed the designated driver. In practice, the gun-free-zone at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California disarmed a half-dozen law enforcement officers who were at the bar when it was it was attacked.

That law certainly didn’t work the way we wanted. Our laws made things worse rather than making them better. That feels awful. The solution isn’t to put up more prominent plastic signs. The answer is to leave people free to protect themselves.

In theory, we’ve protected our schools with a school resource officer and a plastic sign that says no-guns-allowed. That fails too often. Murderers go to our school to kill our children. Our defense has to be where ever our children are. It feels uncomfortable for us to think of someone attacking our children, but ignoring the problem feels worse. The good news is that lots of teachers want to protect “their kids.” I know because I’ve met them and listened to them.

It is uncomfortable to look at evil. We were so afraid of hurt feelings that we passed laws to make us feel better. We can blame our politicians for passing feel-good laws, but the people we elected were doing what we told them to do. We made a mistake, and we got people killed. It would feel horrible to sit and let this happen again.

Fortunately, we have the power to fix it. Here is a link to call your elected representatives. Tell them how you feel about disarming the victims in gun-free-zones. You’ll feel better after you call.

Slow Facts

About Rob Morse

The original article is here.  Rob Morse writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily, and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. Rob is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.

SCRetired
SCRetired
1 year ago

The 2A is an explicable inalienable right that Cannot be trumped by a state or other federal law, I agree that administrative branches an dthe legislative administrative branches can not physically pass laws that override any part of the 2A. Wheo reare we hotxcaw

Vic Reyes
Vic Reyes
1 year ago

As a retired LEO, I dont let plastic signs stop me from carrying concealed. If I am stopped from carrying into a restaurant, coffee shop, store, ETC, I take my money/business somewhere else. Those signs are their “rules” not a Law.

terry ralston
terry ralston
Reply to  Vic Reyes

Well your wrong. these rules are backed up by a law that says you are trespassing and it can be considered criminal trespass. Ido agree with this as much as i agree and even commend you for going elsewhere. Nice they put up these signs so active shooters know where to go, great directions

Texas Charlie
Texas Charlie
1 year ago

“…the gun-free-zone at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California disarmed a half-dozen law enforcement officers who were at the bar when it was it was attacked.” You must have been looking at the wrong video, because the one I saw from that night had the camera operator, one single patron, and one staff worker in a back room. NO line dancing, NO music playing, empty rooms. That was it! There was NO ONE ELSE in that bar. What video were you watching? No single alleged ‘witness’ from that night described the bar as being anything close to… Read more »

MacofJack
MacofJack
1 year ago

How long before the idiots realize that this is an open invitation to anyone wanting to go violence? HOW LONG!

SCOTT REYNOLDS
SCOTT REYNOLDS
1 year ago

Get a pocket pistol, learn to shoot it, carry spare mags. Take it where ever you go.
With all the crap posted on the doors to businesses and other buildings these days I don’t notice the ” no gun” sticker most of the time.
If I do notice the sticker, say the “no gun” sticker is the only one on the door, I don’t go there.
The Second Amendment was written so that ” We the people” can take up arms and put down the government if it gets too stupid. Why does no one ever mention that anymore ?

ChiptheBarber
ChiptheBarber
Reply to  SCOTT REYNOLDS

That’s exactly what I do. Every time I walk into my bank I pass a silhouette of a Berretta with the sign across it. No one has ever asked me what I have in my pockets. If they do, I will be honest and tell them. If they want me to leave I will gladly comply. I’ll put my pistol in the vehicle and cash out all my accounts.

blockheadbiker
blockheadbiker
Reply to  SCOTT REYNOLDS

I see that gun with a line through it in Texas as well even the small government buildings in one of our small towns has it and it is null and void. The Law written for Texas Conceal Carry on the Government and DPS websites state that signage is null and void it means nothing. You have to post a 3006 (Conceal Carry) and or the 3007 (open carry) signs the correct size and at eye level in a location to be observed when entering the building! I even had to tell our bank that only having the 3007 sign… Read more »

Deplorable Bill
Deplorable Bill
1 year ago

I am on a small security detail at a local Church. For years, we met monthly with some local FEDS who showed us real time threats against specific CHURCHES. That kid who shot up the school in Florida was well known to the FEDS, local law enforcement, the school “security cowards” people etc. yet he was still ALLOWED to enter the school obviously armed and this after threatening to shoot up that very school.There are always going to be evil people out there doing evil things to innocent people. The only true defense against a evil person with a gun… Read more »

Oldmariine
Oldmariine
1 year ago

Oldmarine >>> Deplorable Bill I have been looking into the Oaths that almost all public servants swear to and find that all of the oaths contain the wording “to protect and preserve the Constitution……..” That means any in failing to do so or attacking any part of the Constitution is breaking the law. It constitutes 1. Perjury under Oath. 2. Traitorous and or seditious act against the Constitution. 3. Violating the Civil Rights of ALL citizens. 4. Fraud by deceiving (breaking Oath) voters for Government pay. 5. Maybe Collusion but that is not a crime in its self. You can… Read more »

blockheadbiker
blockheadbiker
1 year ago

The only comment I have is not my comment it is from one of our founding fathers I have quoted it before in other article and it rings true in the article from Benjamin Franklin “THEY WHO CAN GIVE UP ESSENTIAL LIBERTY TO OBTAIN A LITTLE SAFTEY DESERVE NEITHER LIBERTY NOR SAFTEY.” No truer words were ever spoken you give up the right for anyone to protect the citizens and our children you give up both LIBERTY AND SAFTEY the sadistic criminals and murders LOVE GUN FREE ZONES they are a playing field for cowards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Smith
John Smith
1 year ago

Please don’t undercut our arguments by using incorrect facts and errors in spelling. These things greatly damage your credibility, and those on the left and those undecided folks we are trying to influence attribute your lack of credibility to anyone else making an argument in defense of the second amendment. It is great that you are making the arguments – thank you. But please use caution. No law prohibits the carrying of firearms in a place of worship in either Texas or Pennsylvania. The individual place of worship, being private property, may restrict the possession of firearms, but state law… Read more »

Bill N.
Bill N.
Reply to  John Smith

Smith, Sir, you say nothing about Florida laws that at the time of the Orlando shootum up. Fla. laws forbid carrying a firearm where alcohol is served. That law caused a lot of damage there, don’t you think?

blockheadbiker
blockheadbiker
Reply to  Bill N.

The Florida law is about the same as Texas CCL you can not carry in an establishment where alcohol is the main income such as a bar, dancehall that serves alcohol or any other establishment whose main source of income is derived from the selling of alcohol. You can carry in a restaurant that has a bar because the food is the main source of income YOU COULD ALSO CARRY IN AN AUDITORIUM IF THE IDIOTS IN POWER HAD NOT SAID THEY WERE A GUN FREE ZONE SO IT’S HAPPY HUNTING FOR THE SICKOS AND TERRORISTS!!!!!!!

Don P
Don P
Reply to  blockheadbiker

I haven’t checked for a while but, unless they’ve changed the law in Florida, it is illegal to enter the ‘bar area’ of a restaurant that has a ‘bar area’. This basically makes it illegal to enter some restaurants if the only entrance enters directly into the ‘bar area’ and you must travel through the ‘bar area’ in order to reach the restaurant seating.

John Smith
John Smith
Reply to  Bill N.

Hi Bill, My point is that while these types of laws are certainly bad policy, PA and TX don’t even prohibit possession in a place of worship as was asserted in the original piece, so those aren’t valid examples. To offer them as examples when the facts don’t support it undercuts the argument. To win the policy debate, we must be credible. To be credible, we must advance valid arguments with correct facts. We have plenty of valid examples – we don’t need to resort to the use of recent, emotionally charged incidents in the news without checking whether our… Read more »

Coelacanth
Coelacanth
1 year ago

In Michigan, you can carry a firearm concealed or openly in the Capitol Building. No one has ever been shot.

Ron
Ron
1 year ago

‘Thought’ crimes come to mind. Thoughts are supposed to hurt people according to the powers that be.
I was brought up with..”sticks and stones will break my bones,but names will never hurt me”.
All kinds of ‘hate speech’ laws are floating around out there too.
It seems only ‘certain’ members of our society are privileged or condemned. Which are you?

Roy D.
Roy D.

Concealed means concealed.

rich z
rich z
1 year ago

Do GUN FREE ZONES stop those , who support them, from going UNARMED or UNPROTECTED while visiting them I, DON’T THINK SO………

Joseph P Martin
Joseph P Martin
1 year ago

In so many school shootings, the cops sit around on their hands while kids die, and then the innocent kids are treated like criminals. Political correctness and the lack of bravery or restrictive rules of engagement are all factors contributing to the death counts in these shootings.

David Bennett
David Bennett
1 year ago

Teachers have Second Amendment rights too! I’d be hopping mad if I was treated no better than a felon with respect to an enumerated right. The predictable carnage, resulting in Second Amendment-infringement zones, is used by those opposed to our constitutional right to argue for even more infringement.

Freedom Rings
Freedom Rings
1 year ago

Do we have a foreign exchange program going on in this country with judges & politicians? Just what is it they don’t understand about the 2nd Amendment being the only Amendment stating it “Shall Not Be Infringed”? Reason being, once it is gone the other Amendments of The Bill of Rights will surely follow and America becomes another 3rd world country?
What true American would support this? Wake up America & vote accordingly!

Oldmariine
Oldmariine
Reply to  Freedom Rings

Old marine >>>
Ask any politician local or otherwise, just what the words “Shall Not Be Infringed”? means and watch for any Lies that spills out. If so please let them know you now have their number. OORAH

Oldmariine
Oldmariine
Reply to  Freedom Rings

Oldmarine >>> Freedom Rings Samples of Oaths California Constitution “I, ___________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter. “And I do further… Read more »

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog
1 year ago

Good news for gun advocates: Senator David Bullard of Oklahoma has proposed Senate Bill 38, which will allow people with a conceal and carry license to bring a gun inside the state capitol.

Don P
Don P
1 year ago

They did that in Texas a while back. As soon as it was confirmed, there was a mad rush of people signing up for the required courses by people who worked in or regularly had business in the Capitol building… Republicans AND Democrats. A concealed permit allowed the holder to use an entrance that didn’t have as much security (since a concealed permit holder has already had a background check) and regularly had a much shorter line.