At Home, at Work, and as you Walk the Dog – More Self-Defense Gun Stories

There is a reason white women voted in a majority for Trump.
At Home, at Work, and as you Walk the Dog- More Self-Defense Gun Stories

Louisiana –-(Ammoland.com)- Here is the news you won’t get from the mainstream media. Again this week, responsible gun owners defend themselves and the people they love.

Self-defense instructor Ben Branam joins the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast to look at four new examples. Were these gun owners lucky, or did they have a plan and were prepared?  What can we learn from their experience? Listen and find out. (22-minute audio)

These victims survived lethal attacks because they had a gun..and a plan.

Click the title links for more info:

First story-  Are you armed at work?

It is dark and cold outside. You own and run a neighborhood liquor store set among brownstone apartments. You hear the front door ring and see two men come inside. These customers don’t shake off their jackets and gloves as they enter the warmth of your store. Instead they draw guns and shout at you to hand over the money in the cash register. You are one of the few people in Baltimore who has their Wear and Carry permit. You’re gun is on your hip. You step to the side and present your firearm. You immediately shoot your nearest attacker and then shoot the second one. They shoot back and you move again. Your attackers run from the store. You lock the front door and call police.

You were robbed a few months ago. You show the surveillance video to the police, but you won’t talk to the local newspaper, the Baltimore Sun. Police find one of your attackers bleeding in the snow a block away.

Second Story-  Do you have a firearm nearby when you turn in for the night?

You’re jolted awake. You listen again and hear your dog growell and you hear someone’s voice. You live alone with your dog so that doesn’t make sense. You get up and grab your gun, grab your phone, and turn on the lights. You walk into your house and see someone standing in the kitchen.

You shout at the intruder to put his hands up. He does. You tell him to get on the floor. He does. You back up and call police. The intruder pushes himself up off the floor and runs at you. You shoot him. Now he stops. You back up again and stand there until police and EMTs arrive.

Third story- Are you armed when you are at work?

You’re checking on inventory at the back of a cell phone store. It is after dark and another employee runs into the back room and crashes into the back wall. She pushes off the wall and looks at you. “He has a gun,” she says. She points at the door to the display area. You’re armed. You put your hand on your gun and look around the corner into the showroom. A man is bent over the cash register. He sees you and points his gun at you. You draw your firearm and shoot him. Now your attacker runs. You slowly walk out of the back room and lock the front door. Your co-worker comes into the front of the store and is already on the phone with the police. The police find your 28 year old attacker when he called 911 claiming he was the victim of a shooting.

Fourth story- Are you armed as you walk your dog?

It is four in the afternoon and the sun is already close to the horizon. You hear someone knocking heavily on your front door. This is a rural community and it has been between 10 and 20 degrees below freezing all day so you don’t expect many visitors. Your wife answers the door and your neighbor rushes in. Your neighbor is lead by her large dog and dragging a teenage girl behind her. The teenager isn’t wearing the right clothes for this weather.

Your neighbor shouts for you to get your gun and call the police. You look at your wife and you both blink. Your neighbor lets go of her dog and starts to tear off her gloves. You don’t know what is going on, but you can see the concern on your neighbor’s face and hear it in her voice. You head to your bedroom closet and grab your rifle. Your wife is already dialing 911. You come back with your gun and a head full of questions.

Your neighbor says, ‘This girl escaped her kidnapper and we need to hide her. He might be out there looking for her.’ Your wife is talking to the emergency operator. You tell your kids to go downstairs and watch TV until you call for them. You push your neighbor’s dog into the bathroom. Your teenager visitor looks to be in shock.

The operator tells you to lock the doors and then move into the middle of the house until law enforcement arrives. Officers drive up a few minutes later. The deputies ask you to watch out the back door as they walk down the snow covered driveway and come in the front. Your wife unlocks the door and lets the sheriff’s deputies inside.

The deputies say the young girl was kidnapped a few months ago. She escaped a few minutes before your neighbor found her. The women huddle in the middle of the house as the three armed defenders defend the windows and doors. The police found and arrested the girl’s kidnapper while he was driving around the neighborhood looking for her. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

What would you do in these situations? Podcast and full discussion are at the link.

Slow FactsAbout Rob Morse

Rob writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily, and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. Rob is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.

Contact Ben Branam at Modern Self Protection.com

Lab Rador
Lab Rador

I thought it was a dawg with a New Yawk accent!

EdH
EdH

If someone is going to walk up to you out of nowhere and shoot you in the head there isn’t a whole lot you can do about it unless you see them coming. If you are in a crowded situation and someone begins shooting you may catch a round and die right there. There may be nothing you can do about that. Most times you can’t do a lot about random acts of violence. But, you’re wits and your concealed weapon are your tools once the danger is seen and identified. Situational awareness is just as important as carrying and… Read more »

Deplorable Bill
Deplorable Bill

I had a job once where I was not allowed to carry or even have a firearm keep in my vehicle. The day came when I watched a man get shoot in the head by some low life cholo on I-10 and 27th ave. I could not even catch up to their vehicle to get their lic. plate number. The man who was shot somehow managed to pull of the road and died right there. Ever since, I have carried 24/7–concealed-but ready if needed. Your tools don’t do you any good if they are somewhere else. Lesson learned-the hard way.… Read more »

JoeUSooner
JoeUSooner

Excellent point. And good post!

I am armed 24/7 (except when showering or sleeping – and it’s within arm’s reach always). I will not go anywhere that has metal detectors (I will not go unarmed anywhere else – my life and my loved ones are too important).

Charles O. McVey Sr.
Charles O. McVey Sr.

I retired from the US Army 16 years ago, not quite ten years after I retired my life, that of my wife and my sister-in-law, who lived with us at the time, had our lives threatened. After discussing this with my city’s deputy police chief we both agreed that I should get my concealed carry permit. I already carried open, however there were several paces that did not like this idea, I was never refused entry but they made it plain that they wished I did not open carry in their business. I now have my concealed carry and it… Read more »

Pete
Pete

When I lived adjacent to Washington, D.C., I carried a small pistol while walking my dog at night. I was chased once by four individuals in a car. The gun gave me the confidence to find and hide in a deep shadow until they gave up trying to find me.

Pete
Pete

I believe the girl’s name from the fourth story is “Closs.” Her kidnapper had killed her parents in front of her. He is in police custody at this time. The story received national attention, at least online.

JDC
JDC

Is it a particular breed of dog that “growell”s? Most dogs just growl. I figure it must be a specialized breed, like a Spellcheck Retriever or a Dictionary Spaniel that growells.

Just teasing, keep up the good work. Thanks for the article.

Grim
Grim
Reply to  JDC

A “growell” is a more sustained form of a growl. Much more intimidating.

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog

Have considered arming myself with concealed carry when walking my dogs in my neighborhood. Primary reason is to ward off attacks from the loose pit bulls that have attacked my dogs numerous times. I carry a baton, mace, and pellet pistol. The last aggressive pit bull recognized what a baton was and left us alone. Called police and animal control hauled off the pit.

tomcat
tomcat

GWD you must have 911 on speed dial or do you have a special number you can call to report dogs or people. The more you do that the more you need to because of the number of people you piss off.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  tomcat

@Tcat, Seems like that is how he intends to make a world that is perfectly suited to him … call and call and call … until no annoying people or creatures are left. I have a better idea: why doesn’t he try to become the man that his dogs think that he is?

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog
Reply to  Wild Bill

Tom Cat and Will Bill,
Apparently the two of you and I are cut from different cloths.
Yes, when faced with a situation where law enforcement can better handle it, I dial 911. I don’t try and be a Ted Nugent and take the law in my own hands. Firing a pistol at an attacking dog in a populated neighborhood is not a good idea for many common sense reasons. Might be a fit for ultra extreme gun enthusiast, that love to kill, but not me.

tomcat
tomcat
Reply to  Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well, you can say that we rattled his cage, didn’t we. It sounds to me like he is afraid of his own shadow. I can say that I am very pleased that he is not my neighbor or even lives in the same state I do. They say the coy pits are very deep in this area.