Procter & Gamble’s Toxic Sanctimony

U.S.A.-(Ammoland.com)- One of the world's most successful brands committed ideological hara-kiri this week. Recognized around the world as a symbol of manly civility for more than a century, Gillette will now be remembered as the company that did itself in by sacrificing a massive consumer base at the altar of progressivism.

To which I say: R.I.P.-C. (Rest In Political Correctness).

In case you hadn't seen or heard, parent company Procter & Gamble launched a Gillette ad campaign blanket-demonizing men as ogres and bullies. Guilt-ridden actors gaze ruefully at their reflections in the mirror — not because they've neglected their hygiene, but simply because they're men. Various scenarios of boys being boors and males being monsters flash across the screen before woke interlocutors show how “real” men behave in nonaggressive, conciliatory and apologetic ways.

At home and at work, in the boardroom, on the playground, and even while barbecuing in the backyard, Gillette sees nothing but testosterone-driven trouble. Message: Y chromosomes are toxic. The “best a man can get” can no longer be attained without first renouncing oppressive manliness.

Self-improvement must begin with self-flagellation.

A Gillette company statement explained that after “taking a hard look at our past” and “reflecting on the types of men and behaviors we want to celebrate,” officials decided to “actively challenge the stereotypes and expectations of what it means to be a man everywhere you see Gillette.”

But Proctor & Gamble, which bought Gillette in 2005 for $57 billion, doesn't spell out which part exactly of the 118-year-old company's past it now rejects. Was it founder King Gillette, the relentless entrepreneur who appealed to “red-blooded” young American soldiers? Was it the decades of multimillion-dollar promotional campaigns catering to physically superior athletes?

Or perhaps the mau-mauing marketers have adopted the radical feminist position that shaving itself is sexist. Is the ultimate goal to undermine the very raison d'etre of the $15 billion shave care industry?

I ask only half in jest. How else to explain this latest suicidal episode of collective consumer-shaming? Gillette's two-minute, man-bashing missive may have racked up 7 million views on YouTube, but the “dislikes” outnumber “likes” by 4 to 1.

And the reviews are brutal:

“How to destroy your company in 1 minute 48 seconds.”

“Companies attempting to make profit should stick to that.”

“The single male is the most attacked maligned ridiculed and forgotten person in today's society.”

“You can buy High Quality Razors that are NOT Gillette at the 99 Cents Store with NO lecturing on how to be a Man.”

“I'll buy P&G products again when I see them release an equivalent ad targeting negative female traits: toxic femininity/paternity fraud/fake accusations… doubt that's going to happen any time soon!”

“So now Gillette thinks that it is the arbiter of what all men should think, say, and watch. Screw Gillette, bought their products for almost 50 years, I will never buy another Gillette product. NEVER!!!”

“Thank you Gillette, I purchased your razors and chopped off my testicles with it. No more toxic masculinity!”

Ouch.

You may remember that P&G, which I un-fondly refer to as Protest & Grumble, has dipped its sanctimonious toe into social justice waters before. In 2017, the company tackled identity politics with a video called “The Talk.” The preachy ad stoked fear and hatred of police and perpetuated racial stereotypes of officers lurking around every corner waiting to pounce on innocent black children and teenagers — alienating law enforcement families across the country and insulting every minority cop to boot.

The backlash against that ad apparently didn't faze Protest & Grumble's activist zealots. Once again, industry marketers are proving they're not satisfied with selling useful products people want and need. No, they're hell-bent on exploiting successful businesses to cram odious politics down consumers' throats.

Like many Silicon Valley giants (hello, Facebook and Twitter) and SJW-hijacked sports enterprises (hello, NFL and ESPN), Gillette is now openly discriminating against its consumers-turned-critics to curry political favor with the #MeToo movement. Savvy social media observers caught the company throttling negative comments and dislikes on its YouTube video. They can manipulate likes and de-platform dissenters. But they won't be able to disguise the bloodletting effect of toxic sanctimony on their bottom line.

Falling on your virtue-signaling blade may win you awards and headlines, but ultimately, it's a fatal proposition.

About Michelle MalkinMichelle Malkin

Michelle Malkin is host of “Michelle Malkin Investigates” on CRTV.com. As well as the author of “Culture of Corruption: Obama and his Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks and Cronies” & “Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild“. Her email address is [email protected]

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
1 year ago

I’m sending my Gillette money to GOA!

tomcat
tomcat
1 year ago

I gave up Gillette several years ago when they thought their product was gold. I was surprised to see that Michelle wrote this article, good job. Anyway I went to Wilkinson Sword and Schick bought them out so I went to Schick. I picked up a razor from Harry’s the other day and it is good and a bunch cheaper. I really don’t care if Gillette or P&G keep running their mouth and insulting people. Sticks and stones reaction.

Tommy
Tommy
1 year ago

This latest commercial from p&g is a most egregious misrepresentation of what a true AMERICAN MAN is and is very distasteful to say the least.My wife also expressed her thoughts as to it’s “leftist” near misandry views. We will seek products from manufactures other than P&G in the future. As for being of American Indian descent, I have little use for their products anyway.

( I tried to post my comments on their web site. They are not accepting any comments without a complete dossier on your life ).

Big Al
Big Al
1 year ago

I have not used Gillette products (ANY OF THEM!!!) since 1968. Gillette threw its full weight behind the passage of the gun control act of 1968. P&G is also on my S*** list now, along with Citgo (Venezuelan owned) and BP (I live on the gulf Coast of Mississippi). Thae can ALL eat sh** and die. I do not have a lot of $$$ but I will damned well spend it who I wish.

JohnBored
JohnBored
1 year ago

Grow a beard. That’s masculine and natural.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  JohnBored

JB, If ya do, your mask won’t form a proper seal.

JDC
JDC
1 year ago

I sent ’em the “American Wire” conservative humor cartoon to the customer service center. Bet I get a canned response.

chuck u farley
chuck u farley
1 year ago

Selling my PG stock now at a profit. Will not “loan” them any more money. For those wanting to invest in the Household Products industry, KMB (Kimberly Clark) is safe, cheaper (lower P/E) with a higher dividend yield, faster dividend growth and superior other metrics.Thanks for getting me to look.

Bob
Bob
1 year ago

I am retired, an ex-police officer, hunter, gun owner, ex-Navy Diver, and a disabled Viet Nam Veteran. I read the comments with interest. While GILLETTE should have done a better job in producing this video/commercial with a better script it is high time we ALL reflect upon just where we are as a society. There is NO PLACE for sexual harassment, bullying, or showing a lack of RESPECT for our fellow men and women. THIS is the point GILLETTE was trying to get across. We need to re-examine the role of men in society. WE ALL should stand up and… Read more »

Taj
Taj
1 year ago

This whole issue has nothing to do with gender. It’s more about character than anything else. Men can be men and do what men have to do and have always done in our society. There is a great lacking in character these days among both genders. My wife, who an HR manager for a large company, tells me that there is as many issues among the women in her company as there the men. I’m not sure how to fix an issue like that. By the time we see it happen in a public venue, it may already be too… Read more »

Colo Jim
Colo Jim
1 year ago

Hello Dollar Shave Club and Harry’s razors. Cheaper, better and pro male.

Nomen Ignotus
Nomen Ignotus
Reply to  Colo Jim

Late 2017 “Harry’s ” ran similar “ads” on “Toxic Masculinity ” look it up >

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Colo Jim

Dollar shave club $6 for 4 awesome razors a month.

Phil in TX
Phil in TX
1 year ago

Thank you!, Michelle. I find this article even more refreshing coming from a woman. If a man had written it it wouldn’t have had the force behind it that you give it. “Toxic masculinity” my backside. There is no such thing. Period. End of discussion. Proctor & Gamble/Gillette should hang it’s corporate heads in shame. Better yet, the shareholders should step in and replace them!

Phil in TX

Bob Sadtler
Bob Sadtler
1 year ago

I wear a beard anyway. Screw ‘em!

Missouri Born
Missouri Born
1 year ago

Men need to boycott every product Proctor and Gamble has a financial in.

Joseph P Martin
Joseph P Martin
1 year ago

It’s an old story, masculine = bad, feminine = good. The result of decades of “Feminism”, which is ironic as there is nothing feminine about most of the women associated with the “Feminist Movement”.

Jeffrey Gunderson
Jeffrey Gunderson
1 year ago

Been using Schick for years now, a longer lasting razor. I’ll stay with Schick. But Tide Pod’s have to go. Company’s should stay out of taking sides. Do gooder’s messed up this country enough.

TXRabbit47
TXRabbit47
1 year ago

Add Gillette to the likes of Dick”s, REI, etc. who have bowed down to whatever politically correct mantra is in vogue today. The dust bin is getting full of such companies bashing anti-Second sentiments, anti-male, or anti-proud to be a USA citizen. I’ll vote at the ballot box and with my choice of products I CHOOSE to use.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
1 year ago

Schick doesn’t eat up my face, nor do they insult me, so I’ll continue using their razors.

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
1 year ago

I tried Schick and Wilkinson and a bunch of others. I throw away my Gillettes when they get as dull as a new Schick. Now I have to grow a beard, and stop buying Tide, Febreeze and all the other P&G products. To to their corporate page and read the comments about the P&G products. You’ll be horrified.
Here’s the URL to contact Gillette:

George W Conner Jr
George W Conner Jr
1 year ago

Congratulations p&g. You’ve pissed off half the population.. Let’s see what your next p&l looks like.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
1 year ago

My local radio station pointed out that Gillette sells pink razors to women for more money than the ones they sell to men.

Roy D.
Roy D.
1 year ago

I use and will continue to use a Gillette Mach 3 razor for the same reason that I would buy ChiCom powders if they weren’t restricted from import. Because it makes sense to do so. If that makes me a bad guy so be it.

James
James
Reply to  Roy D.

Just makes you a dumb ass.

Nam62
Nam62
1 year ago

I’m 81 and have used Gillette products since I was old enough to shave. As much as I hate electric razors I may use them or Schick products.
To Hell with all leftist company’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc DV.
Marc DV.

Next We’ll See Very HAIRY Women ,
Who Shaved (before this) with Their Products .
I Guess Shaving is the Point ! Men Should Shave ,
Off Their Beards & Mustaches as Not to Offend Women !
In turn Women will not Shave as to Reflect Power & Strength .
Either Way it Go’s They’ve Shot themselves in the Foot !
Sales will Most Undoubtedly Go Down the drain !
(fools and their money are soon parted)

LibertyToad
LibertyToad
1 year ago

I’ve used Gillette products for over 40 years. Going out to get a Shick razor today. I emailed a complaint to Gillette–no more Gillette products for me.