Benchmade Issues Statement After Helping Police Destroy Guns

Benchmade Knife Company
Benchmade Knife Company

Oregon City, Oregon – -(AmmoLand.com)- Benchmade is aware of the recent post from our local Oregon City Police Department. [Concerning Police Destroying Guns]

“We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.

When asked for clarity from Oregon City Police Department, Chief Jim Band made the following statement:

“When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”

– Benchmade

Benchmade KnivesAbout Benchmade Knife Company

For more than two decades, Benchmade Knife Company, has been committed to exceeding the expectations of elite users around the world through manufacturing a broad range of products that offer superior quality and performance, built to meet the specific needs of a wide and loyal customer base. In addition, all Benchmade products are covered by the company’s LifeSharp service and limited lifetime warranty.

For more information about Benchmade’s world class products and Customer Service, please call 1-800-800-7427 or visit www.benchmade.com.

Editors Update: here is the Social Media Post (now removed) that Benchmade is Responding to:

Benchmade Helping Police Destroy Guns
Benchmade Helping Police Destroy Guns
Ben
Ben

Bye bye benchmade.

Mike E.
Mike E.

This is a story of malicious compliance and was a familiar one to the business people of Germany who complied with the Nazi’s in their campaign to disarm and then exterminate “undesirables”.
That dog won’t hunt.
This is especially painful since I’ve had long guns stolen and only two were recovered. One of those still missing belonged to my grandfather who as a Marine fought against the Sandinista rebels in Nicaragua.
I’d have to learn that shotgun had been destroyed by a knifemaker sucking up to the gestapo.

Randy
Randy
Reply to  Mike E.

My point exactly. Walther gave Hitler a beautiful gold inlaid Walther for his 50th birthday. I wonder what kind of ornate knife Benchmade will be presenting the the State Party Chairman.

Z
Z

Luckily I don’t have even one magnificent (probably) bench made products.
And never will, ever.
More Dick’s will come forward, for sure …

Mike
Mike

Propaganda photo OP. Don’t pretend innocence, all I see is Oregon politics saying “We won, FU America “. I’m glad I moved from Portland, let the confused, dead beats, leaches and criminals have it. Gun owners should have been your allies, instead you have made them criminals and enemies or the state. Keep in mind that they have to treat knives in England like politicians treat guns in the USSA (sorry USA) because knife deaths are getting out of control in parts of that country. Bad guys don’t care about your laws, in fact I’m sure they are laughing all… Read more »

ac4gators
ac4gators

Glad to know what kind of company Benchmark is. Was looking into their products but no longer. Will spend my money elsewhere. Thank you Ammoland for the info..

William
William

Benchmade The next time you are asked to fall in line just remember I am sure not all germans fell in line with mass murder of their rights. If you give 1 inch next time they will demand a mile. Think about it.

USA1
USA1

Benchmade stated the police wanted to use Benchmade’s specialty equipment to have the guns destroyed. Specialty? A angle grinder with a cutting wheel? You can start at the low end for $20! They were sure happy to goose step with the Oregon communist. I wonder if they got to keep the steel from the guns to use in knife production???? Oh, by the way Benchmade, they are talking about banning knives in certain European countries. It won’t be long before they want to do that here. That should help your business model!

Don C.
Don C.

The request to help destroy guns should have provoked an immediate sick-feeling of horror, as if someone had asked them to help with a racial lynching. Court ordered or not, the ONLY guns that should be destroyed are those that critically misfire and cannot be made to safely operate. Then, don’t grind them up; make them non-loadable and use them for doorknobs or other decorative items. And come on, SOMEONE will buy the other guns, hunt with them, plink with them, protect their families, fellow officers, or the public with them. I’ve got a lot of good use and enjoyment… Read more »

Randy Locher
Randy Locher

Benchmade can shove their products up their Ass!!!!!!!!! This is what I mean about sticking together and making a Stand against ANY company that is willing to chip away at our Rights in Any way at all. We Must ALL take a stand or We WILL lose EVERYTHING.

The other Jim
The other Jim

So Benchmade Knife Company is making money destroying guns for the Left Wing and/or has a Contract with Police to destroy guns?
Benchmade is therefore a dirt bag organization, similar to Levi Strauss. Both the father and son owners
of Benchmade Jon deAsis and Les de Asis are anti-second amendment sell-out dirtbags too.

Dale L. Walters
Dale L. Walters

A lot of pissed off people !! I, my son and grandsons all own benchmade knives. NOT any more,going to sell them and buy BUCK !!

Jimboinwv
Jimboinwv

I have an original Balisong, before Benchmade bought them up…I’m sorry to show it now with the butterfly on it…and I was just going to buy one from my friend who owns a pawnshop and is a Bmade dealer. Guess I’m getting an Emerson. People vote every, single day…with their money. I will never set foot in a Dick’s Sporting Goods. And, i’ll never buy any Benchmade again.

iSteve
iSteve

I have always admired and WANTED to purchase a Benchmade knife but now THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ! tHEY HAVE REVEALED THEMSELVES WITH THEIR ACTIONS.

James Beam
James Beam

Do not destroy your Benchmade knives,instead sell them used for cheap and use that money to buy a competitors knife.Not only will they lose a sale,their competitor will gain a sale.

Walter Goddard
Walter Goddard

Hey Guys and Gals,

I don’t want to start a riot here with you, but isn’t an enemy of my enemies, also my friend?
There are a few slivers of hope with Bench Made..
Perhaps the donations they made were to Pro 2A Democrats?
We don’t know why they went from donating to the Republicans and Democrats, to just Democrats…
Has a Republican pissed them off somehow?

Maybe we can get Ammoland to mediate between Bench Made and all of you… and keep the peace?

Jimboinwv
Jimboinwv
Reply to  Walter Goddard

Uhhh. The donations were to a Dem. against the 2A… and the other was to a very anti2 Democock out of state. On Hillary’s VP list. Wonder how he feels about firearms?

Mark R
Mark R
Reply to  Walter Goddard

Apparently you didn’t read the other article: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/the-tactical-industry-and-the-erosion-of-constitutional-rights/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=35153640a4-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-35153640a4-20752217#axzz5gGff5J9V “Benchmade donated to two primary state officials in 2017-2018. The first is Rep. Kurt Schrader. He is the rep for Oregon’s 5th Congressional District. He is not a pro-2a official. In 2012 he was quoted by The Oregonian as saying: “However, while the immediate focus will inevitably be to ban certain firearms and magazines, the problems we have are more deeply rooted in American society.”, after the Connecticut school shooting. The second contribution is even more puzzling than the first. That donation was to Senator Martin Heinrich of NEW MEXICO. Martin Heinrich… Read more »

SomewhereinID
SomewhereinID
Reply to  Mark R

Great article! thank you for the research!

Walter Goddard
Walter Goddard
Reply to  Mark R

I read that article after I posted.. It looks as though Bench Made switched sides.

We still don’t see every intent of their heart either..

Our Constitution gives all the right to vote for the candidate we want in office, whether their reasoning was for medical, GLBTG, or anti 2A, I can’t say..
They obviously crossed the line with Bench Made knife owners/2A supporters..

I’m not going to join mob rule and judge any one for their choices either…
I do fully support the US Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.

Orlando J. García
Orlando J. García

I’m never buying another Benchmade knife. I have the entire balisong collection and I have literally spent thousands of dollars on your knives, throughout the years. I’m also a Filipino Martial Arts Instructor and I am urging all my friends and students to never buy another Benchmade knife. Wrong move, Benchmade. The people who bought your knives were the gun owners of America. You just insulted all of us -and shot yourself in the foot in the process.

Bob
Bob

Whew good thing I carry Zero Tolerance knives

CJ Grisham
CJ Grisham

Well, I just use an angle cutter to destroy my Benchmade knife and won’t be replacing it with another Benchmade. Goodbye to you.

JMR
JMR
Reply to  CJ Grisham

That was dumb. Sell them used, Hell send them in and have them sharpened then sell them used.

It takes a sale away from them, gives you money to spend at their competitors.

asdfasdfasdf
asdfasdfasdf

we will destroy weapons that are illegal because of stupid legislation >>we support the 2nd amendment… WHAT?

Porcus Rossos
Porcus Rossos

I am curious if hipsters, Bernie babies, and other lefty scum are really into buying $300 knives? Because that’s who Benchmade will be selling to now. They are certainly not getting another penny from me

M
M

Bye Benchmade……

mike
mike

Tell everyone; Midway, Cabelas, local retailers anyone who sells their products, dump them or get dumped. Go to benchmades web site and email them, tell them they are done.

Mike
Mike

I don’t own a Bench Made and now I never will, they just made my schitt list along with Under Armour.

Frank
Frank

Bad political move in a state that is passing severe antigun legislation. It’s not about the destruction of a few firearms, it’s about the message you send to those of us that feel like we are under assault. We watch as the police stand by and do nothing and allow antifa to riot and run off conservative speakers. Another case of big corporations bending over in hopes they won’t be next on the chopping block. You must be taking pointers from Dicks

Slydog
Slydog

Own a dozen BM knives and bought son-in-law a $500 BM for Christmas. Never again….statements sound good but a history of donations to gun grabbers is sound proof. Hope they go down the democrat socialist toilet hole to closed doors as no more support for me and I will remove the BM’s from my collection.

Bob Kastli
Bob Kastli

If your pro gun then you should have no part in destroying guns. Let the cops go some where else. Done with your knifes. Going to cut mine up.

John Williams
John Williams

I’ve been collecting Benchmade knives since Jody was making butterfly knives.
I’m going to the next gun show here in AZ and selling everything I have for 30% of value and putting up a sign telling the buyers what kind of company Benchmade is.

If they cared they would not be located in a “red Flag” state such as the Socialist State of Oregon.

Nick
Nick
Reply to  John Williams

I’ll take em off your hands.

ken long
ken long

Read the article and understand. With that being said. I will never buy anything from your company.

Monte Draper
Monte Draper

Benchmade is an extreme left wing anti~Gun anti American overpriced cash cow for the DNC

Cam
Cam

Is everyone in the comments supposed to be in a class with 3 other people and 6 teachers?

JMR
JMR
Reply to  Cam

This is just false information… shouldn’t you be in class with 2 other students and 6 teachers, or did you miss the short bus?

Police departments sell firearms all the time, even ones that are used in crimes.

robert
robert
Reply to  JMR

JMR, you are wrong.
Police departments do NOT have to destroy guns.
Any business that voluntarily destroys guns is anti-rights and SCUM.

JMR
JMR
Reply to  robert

We’ll youre a fucking moron I never said they did, in fact I said the opposite.

JMR
JMR
Reply to  robert

Just in case my other comment doesn’t get approved.

Read my statement again, I never said they did, I said specifically the opposite.

brooks colson
brooks colson
Reply to  Cam

Many police departments sell guns, educate yourself. Only stupid departments waste revenue by destroying guns.

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog
Reply to  brooks colson

Should be their call. I’m fine with it both ways. Departments have much better job than spending time with all that is required in selling off firearms.

AngryWhiteGuy
AngryWhiteGuy
Reply to  Cam

Well Cam, you are wrong.
Plenty of PD’s across America sell their surplus, seized and abandoned firearms. In fact some states REQUIRE that they sell them instead of destroying the firearm.

CMH
CMH
Reply to  Cam

What law, specifically, prohibits the police from selling firearms?

michele m von bergen
michele m von bergen
Reply to  Cam

not true..as a ffl dealer ive bought many guns from police auctions in the past

Greg K
Greg K
Reply to  Cam

So you’re ok with them “Seizing” them for a False Red Flag, then destroying them before the litigant has a chance of recovery?

Tom D
Tom D
Reply to  Cam

Police departments can sell guns that have been confiscated.

Paul
Paul
Reply to  Cam

I live in Texas and yes the police have an auction and Guns are sold to the public

Defrano
Defrano
Reply to  Cam

“These are guns that have either been seized or turned in for destruction. No police department can sell guns. If they are meant to be destroyed just let them do their jobs.”

Nobody is saying the guns can’t be destroyed. The consensus is that Benchmade shouldn’t have been the company that said, “Yeah, we’ll do it.” Is that simple enough for you Cam or do you need one of your other six teachers to explain it to you?

Dauntless51
Dauntless51
Reply to  Cam

Police departments can and do sell guns. Where did you get the idea that they can’t.

Creekside
Creekside

I own several fixed and folding knives by Benchmade. Won’t take one now if it was free. As a high end mfg of quality products public optics can make or break your sales targets. Considering that most of your buyers are proud 2A Americans you just f’d up.
Until you make a public statement that you made a mistake and will no longer support the destruction of functional firearms for law enforcement I will treat you the same as Dick’s Sporting Goods. Never to buy from you again.

GaryAllen
GaryAllen

Benchmade is a bunch of overpriced leftist pussies anyways. So now they come out with a apology after they had seen all the backlash from us 2nd amendment Americans. I pray to the good lord that this puts a huge blow in their sales.

climatechange isreal
climatechange isreal
Reply to  GaryAllen

your good lord does not exist. i love guns

JoeUSooner
JoeUSooner

Hmmm…. you do not believe in God, but you do believe in global warming (for which, “climate change” is the new euphemism) ? Interesting dichotomy, there.

bluetrane2028
bluetrane2028

I can understand helping the local police to a point, but what about the $35k in donations to Democrat (anti gun) politicians?

Benchmade has made the “do not buy” list for many Americans as of today.

Jack
Jack
Reply to  bluetrane2028

They didn’t donate to anti gun democrats, you should look into the representatives they donate to. The NRA has donated to Rep Schrader, and given Rep Heinrich an A for his stance on the second amendment.

Mitchell VanderMeersch
Mitchell VanderMeersch

I don’t mind you helping the local PD cut up guns that were confiscated, turned in at buybacks, etc.

However, as the owner of 7 BM knives over the past 15 years and an avid 2A supporter. I do take notice of BM’s political donations. Those donations, pretty much prove, that your statement about being pro 2A, IS A LIE.

Greg K
Greg K

Am curious; are they destroying those unconstitutional “civil forfeitures” they have performed?

To Benchmade; “Just say No? “Consent in the face of Tyranny, is Tyranny itself.”

MonkeyPunch
MonkeyPunch

Every political donation 2 faced Les makes is to gun grabbing (D)ems

G
G

There comment on there support of the second amendment is unwavering, but they donate money to political figures that want to destroy the second amendment. Even after this dumpster fire they are still two faced.

Joseph
Joseph
Reply to  G

If guns are banned then people turn to the next logical weapon and guess what that is…….. KNIVES of course

Gas Block in WA
Gas Block in WA

Get woke go broke.

XtremelyDeplorable
XtremelyDeplorable

Thanks for spreading the word.

hoss
hoss

It seems as though that the Captain did some research, and found that B Made has been contributing monies to Darlene Hooley a know anti gun politician!

Walter Goddard
Walter Goddard

Hey guys, (@ m. & @ general4545) Don’t “jump the gun” on Bench Made just yet.. It appears to me that they were destroying criminal contraband as ordered by law… not the same as evidence being destroyed in lieu of statutes of limitations, or seizure from ERPO/being held pending due process of law… This is the problem with “anti social networking”.. people see something, get the wrong impression and take action before they looked at both sides of an issue… Let’s all give the POTUS a little slack too. If we were attacked like he’s being attacked, our feathers would… Read more »

Whoopie
Whoopie
Reply to  Walter Goddard

Bullcrap, nearly every political donation they’ve made since 2010 went to Democrats and many if not all of those candidates are anti-gun. And I’m not buying Bench-Made’s claim of doing their civic duty and helping the cops. The cops can buy their own damn chop saw or take the guns to the fire dept where they too have heavy duty metal cutting tools.

Now I regret having a Bench-Made knife, never gonna buy another.

2aAdvocate
2aAdvocate
Reply to  Whoopie

So this is what sets you off? Something that they have been doing for 9 YEARS. But when they decide that they want to help the local police department is when you jump ship.

Walter Goddard
Walter Goddard
Reply to  Whoopie

Glen Patton, Whoopie,

I have no knowledge of their voting/donations record.
.. any stance they make with the anti 2A crowd, just paves the way for their own business to become the next victim/of knife legislation.. after the guns are removed..

Roy D.
Roy D.

I will do my best to get this out far and wide. You went full retard Benchmade.

Bigdik steve
Bigdik steve

Oh yeah like were gonna forget this because of the simple statement, me and my friends will buy knives else where.

Glenn Patton
Glenn Patton

In my humble opinion, this was a bad decision by upper management at Benchmade. This Company makes a great product and I HOPE it was not an anti gun statement.
I will have to see if they have donated or been active in the anti gun field.

mbogo
mbogo

The CEO supports Dem gun-grabbers, and allows his facility to be used for propaganda. Fack’em!

JMR
JMR

Huh I see they haven’t adressed donateing money to some serious anti-gun political candidates.

Glenn Patton
Glenn Patton

This, in my humble opinion, was a bad decision by Benchmade who make a GREAT product. I would have referred this job to my competitors. I hope this Company is not anti guns.

Duane
Duane

The policy of the department could be changed it is policy not law.

No need to enable them.

general4545
general4545

I’ve bought my last Benchmade knife ever. They can go pound sand. I hope they go out of business.

m.
m.

b-made clowns u chose the wrong side. hope u enjoy the $$ effect.

1 2 3