Benchmade Issues Statement After Helping Police Destroy Guns

Benchmade Knife Company
Benchmade Knife Company

Oregon City, Oregon – -(AmmoLand.com)- Benchmade is aware of the recent post from our local Oregon City Police Department. [Concerning Police Destroying Guns]

“We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.

When asked for clarity from Oregon City Police Department, Chief Jim Band made the following statement:

“When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”

– Benchmade

Benchmade KnivesAbout Benchmade Knife Company

For more than two decades, Benchmade Knife Company, has been committed to exceeding the expectations of elite users around the world through manufacturing a broad range of products that offer superior quality and performance, built to meet the specific needs of a wide and loyal customer base. In addition, all Benchmade products are covered by the company’s LifeSharp service and limited lifetime warranty.

For more information about Benchmade’s world class products and Customer Service, please call 1-800-800-7427 or visit www.benchmade.com.

Editors Update: here is the Social Media Post (now removed) that Benchmade is Responding to:

Benchmade Helping Police Destroy Guns
Benchmade Helping Police Destroy Guns
David Head
David Head

Benchmade has done nothing other than issue the statement. The have gone dark on social media and turned off reviews. I am not so offended I would never buy their knives again but they need to do something instead of just ignoring the fact that did offend a huge part of their customer base. This is a fact that cannot be ignored like what Dicks did. They need to mend their relationship with the 2a community

James Smoyer
James Smoyer
Reply to  David Head

Dude, relax, they are supporting local Oregon laws and supporting the boys in blue.

Job well done Benchmade

James

Carol B Combs
Carol B Combs
Reply to  James Smoyer

I guess donating to all those anti 2A democrats is considered a job well done to? Maybe they can help explain their contribution to the jerk in NM who is calling for the destruction of the 2A. Birds of a feather my friend.

Maurice Cortez
Maurice Cortez
Reply to  Carol B Combs

I totally agree, never buy Benchmade again! Support 2nd Amendments rights

MikeRoss
MikeRoss
Reply to  James Smoyer

No, they are not. They are supporting the anti-gun policy, not law, of one police department. Rank and file police officers are overwhelmingly pro-Second Amendment, destroying guns for political purposes isn’t supporting them.

WV Bill
WV Bill
Reply to  James Smoyer

Benchmade had a decision to make. They made the wrong one for profit. Cutting up guns is not supporting the local boys in blue. And I didn’t see anything that said the guns came from murderers or the such. Lawbreakers is too wide a term.

BMtoiletpaper
BMtoiletpaper
Reply to  David Head

No need to try to mend. It wouldn’t mean anything anyway. Hell, I’d rather they just go on doing what they’ve been doing all along than give some half-assed apology (only because they got caught, btw). They shit the bed. Now they can roll around in it.

Owen Gilmore
Owen Gilmore
Reply to  BMtoiletpaper

Much of this argument is crazy and illogical. So many persons support “melting down” criminals via capital punishment – yet get upset when we melt down weapons the criminal use to kill people with. I am all for responsible gun owners having the right to possess guns. However, cooking a few guns that were used by bad people for bad things – give me a break. There are plenty of guns to go around. If melting them down takes a few off the Street (I mean percentage wise the guns police depts cook are a minority compared to what’s out… Read more »

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Owen Gilmore

Owen spoken like a True Oregon Anti 2 Nd amendment whack job . Getting rid of the guns isn’t the problem . Look at how well the laws are working there . Take the guns and destroy them, yet give the junkies clean needles and a safe place to shoot up ! Might as well OD them if “it will save a life “

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up
Reply to  Owen Gilmore

Owen, those firearms were off the street – the police had them. Secondly, most of the firearms used by criminals are stolen – meaning they were the property of a law-abiding citizen. So why didn’t the police return the firearms to the rightful owners? That is a crime in my view, too. And as others have stated, the police, instead of destroying someone else’s personal property, could have sold those weapons, which would off-set some of the costs of their expenses, helping reduce the tax burden of the law-abiding citizens.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Owen Gilmore

O(h) G(ee), “However, cooking a few guns that were used by bad people for bad things – give me a break.” is not even a completed thought, much less a complete argument.
And did you ever stop to think that those guns that you want so badly to cook are someone’s property.
What kind of government do you advocate that can just destroy someone’s property without justly compensating that owner.

Dash Riprock
Dash Riprock

Benchmade – Proud supporter of the guys who will shit all over the Constitution to seize your legally owned firearms given half a chance.

D Young
D Young

As a retired police “armorer” from a major department, the court orders to destroy firearms were followed to the letter in all cases. I didn’t have the option to sell or use those firearms, they got cut in pieces or sent to the retort at a local steel mill. I cannot count the number of Raven or Jennings junkers I cut in half with a pair of bolt cutters. I didn’t even let myself cry at cutting up a Winchester 101, a Colt Python or SAA.,, a court order is a court order, ya just do the job and get… Read more »

Roy D.
Roy D.
Reply to  D Young

I once watched a fellow Govt employee use a cutting torch to cut up hundreds of dollars worth of hand tools because the toolroom wanted new tools. There was nothing wrong with the old ones except that they were old and were several different brands rather than just one. Just because something is authorized doesn’t make it right.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  D Young

I’m betting you went and rounded up your own set of bolt cutters too. The issue that has everyone’s underwear in a twist is because Benchmade decided they needed to do a bit of virtue signaling. That and their record of supporting Dem candidates in recent elections is the reason they are going to feel the pain Dicks has experienced.

Danogil
Danogil
Reply to  D Young

My understanding this was without Court Order to destroy but Dept Policy to destroy, the Order of the Court was to dispose of the weapons. Deposing of them could have been by sale or donation to a smaller dept for their use. But I have found in my LE career that the more left the Admin is the likely it is that depose is take to mean destroy. In my area the Major Dept OKC and Tulsa have different ideas on what dispose means. Tulsa is the liberal bastion in OK. You can guess what they do with weapons that… Read more »

Dash Riprock
Dash Riprock
Reply to  D Young

Kind of not the point. When the police say “Just doing my job” as they enforce unconstitutional gun laws, they are no better than the Crown’s soldiers we fought in the Revolutionary War. You all swear to uphold the Constitution, then look the other way when unconstitutional laws force you to seize property from law-abiding citizens because “a law was passed”. It isn’t we who need to “chill out”, it’s law enforcement that needs to do some introspection the more unconstitutional gun control laws are passed.

Matt
Matt

I’m honestly not sure what to make of this. Maybe the firearms were defective (doubtful), maybe they “needed” to be destroyed for a valid reason I can’t imagine (doubtful), or maybe the company was just trying to appease local law enforcement. Maybe Benchmade isn’t particularly fond of the 2nd Amendment. The company is located in Oregon, so there’s that. What I do know is they did it, and they justified it. That’s enough. Benchmade will never see another cent from me. I will also spread the word, with apologies, to all my friends who’ve I’ve recommended Benchmade to. Kind of… Read more »

Will Flatt
Will Flatt

Hey, DICKS, move over, Benchmade is joining you on the boycott bench!!

Randy
Randy

Donating money to demonicrat candidates is far worse than destroying a few guns. I think the gun thing was to prove they were loyal demonicrat subjects. Benchmade I hope the police state buys your products, we will not.

Doc
Doc

I have 3 B/m’s. And am in the market for a new knife which, even if they PAID ME their exorbidant prices, Absolutely will NOT have their logo on it. My ex has 1 of the 3 which, she deserves it, but the other 2 will be sold & the money received by me will be used to purchase a:

…to which I decided on:

…Hey Benchmade! Bernie called…he wants his footstool back!

Country Boy
Country Boy

LOL, Benchmade has made over 2000 dollars in political contributions to …wait for it…democrat politicians.

That’s what’ll make me never buy benchmade.

Tony
Tony

You guys are the biggest bunch of limp dick, whining faggots I’ve ever seen. So they cut up some guns? Big fucking deal. Less for you gun suckers to jerk off to. Boo hoo.

m.
m.
Reply to  Tony

better a gun-sucker than an anti-2a d-sucker from the dhimmi-rat party

Terry S
Terry S
Reply to  Tony

Tony you must have us confused with your faggots ass gun hating buddies. The gun community is pretty much, real American Patriots. And it seems ironic you are more than happy to run your fucking mouth using the 1st amendment, while moaning about the 2nd amendment. But I understand it is hard for you boys to come up with any credible discussion on your own. Most of the time you queer bait mfuckers just repeat the shit your leaders tell you to. And a word of advice, I’d learn to check that filthy mouth lest someone shoves a big ass… Read more »

Tony
Tony
Reply to  Terry S

Terry, shut your dick holster and get back in the gun closet where you belong. You’re pathetic.

D maynard
D maynard
Reply to  Tony

Thanks Terri S.
Your comment sums it up nicely! It sounds as if Tony was ‘butt-hurt’ from the beginning.
Hmm, wonder why. Oh wait… we can guess why. LOL!

Tony
Tony
Reply to  D maynard

You must be Terry’s boyfriend.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  D maynard

Tony is not his or her name. They don’t really care about any of this. This person is just getting responses so that they can get paid more. Boycott him, or her, or it.

Doc
Doc
Reply to  Tony

Hey Tony…ya’ gotta’ ask me Nicely…”

XtremelyDeplorable
XtremelyDeplorable
Reply to  Tony

“[…] shoves a big ass 45 down your throat […]”

Don’t go teasing him with a good time. He’ll probably think you mean an XXL cock, or something.

Doug
Doug

I think in my state of Pennsylvania confiscated items such as guns are considered assists. Being assists, they belong to the community and if they are of value they need to be sold and all proceeds art returned to the community. I understand others do not have the same policy but what if a really nice car had been confiscated, would the local PD have taken it to the junk yard?

eugene t caleris
eugene t caleris

whos kidding who?

Jingleheimer Schmidt
Jingleheimer Schmidt
Tim
Tim

No mas Benchmade. I will be sure to share your poor decision with my 3000 fellow employees. Maybe you can focus on Gold Level tomahawks for your gal pal pocahontas

Gerry
Gerry

When you take the absolutist route, everything has the potential to offend you. A simple gesture of good will by a knife company to the police has turned into a leftist-style boycott. Well, I hope that works for ya. I’m not a fan of depriving myself in order to “punish” someone else. It doesn’t do a thing for ME, especially if the thing I’m depriving myself of is something I might need. That said, I don’t get the sense of spending as much as I would for a gun on a knife. I’m sure folks have their “reasons,” but having… Read more »

Richie
Richie

“Specialty Equipment” my rear end. Oregon City Police can go to Harbor Freight and buy an angle grinder for 20 bucks. I was going to buy a new benchmade, but after this, I bought a Ka-Bar folder

Bob
Bob

Benchmade
My Company nor I will do business with an anti 2A business, organizations or individuals. Why because we have become a one issue voter and supporter of the Second Amendment due to the fact if the Second Amendment falls so does the the balance of our constitution!

Alan
Alan

Strange actions by both the OR cop department and the knife company.
Gerber is my choice as much as I dislike anything from the left coast.

Danny Koch
Danny Koch

oregon city needs to change there policy . Other police agencies turn guns over to a FFl for sale or if in bad shape to a gunsmith for use of parts. As a Columbia County oregon Deputy I was part of this program. I am now retired,but most agencies still follow this practice in Oregon.

john jones
john jones

no gun owner should do any business with company who donates to the demos and shows themselves to be anti-gun

James Brigham (Bigg) Bunyon
James Brigham (Bigg) Bunyon

They overwhelmingly give money to Democrat candidates and politicians. That alone is reason enough to never buy another knife from them.

Caleb
Caleb

Best case scenario here is that these were worn out and/or in unsafe condition. If they are irreparable or not worth repairing, destruction would be a good idea.

Michael Z. Williamson
Michael Z. Williamson
Reply to  Caleb

All they needed was an angle grinder or torch, both readily available at the local street department.

Neither law nor court required destruction, this is just a local pig “policy.”

Newell Anderson
Newell Anderson
Reply to  Caleb

Gun Parts Corp. will buy any gun for parts! Why would anyone destroy what they can sell?

TheHolyCrow
TheHolyCrow

This must be the result of that Commie POS by the name of Holder who used to be the AG under that other POS named O’Bummer. Remember him with his “fast & furious” thing ? He is on video from 1995 saying that they have to “brainwash the Americans about guns”. It’s funny how the local police depts, and the county prosecutors, have their yearly sales of recovered stolen merchandise ranging from statues of Aardvarks, to bicycles,to xylophones, and everything inbetween, but they never ever sell a firearm. They would rather destroy them in a way reminiscent of what happened… Read more »

Bob Freely
Bob Freely

I’ve only ever owned one Benchmade knife and I really liked it. However for the better part of the last thirty years I’ve not bough anything Benchmade simply because of the price. There are too many equal or better for far lower prices. For me their action put the finial nail in their coffin.

DitchtheBench
DitchtheBench

How about everyone that has a benchmade knife just send them in to be sharpened. When you get them back cut rocks with them and send them right back. Drown them in their lifetime/forever sharp deal.

Dan
Dan

Lars Larson did not do Benchmade any favors over this. The Oregon legislature and local directives mandate that some firearms taken in by local police agencies MUST be destroyed-CANNOT BE SOLD, so Benchmade was just helping their local PD. A lot a people, including lars are making this a much bigger deal than it is.

Michael Z. Williamson
Michael Z. Williamson
Reply to  Dan

Both in the pic are obviously functional or easily repaired. The SKS looks almost new, and cannot be imported anymore, so is a collectible. There was zero reason for b!tchmade to get involved, and certainly not without charging standard shop rates instead of as a “favor.” Neither law nor court required destruction, this is just a local pig “policy.” Should we chop up the cars of drunk drivers? Would you help do so, if one was a 65 Mustang? Should we go back to the Prohibition tactic of pouring out booze? Would you if it were bottles of 30 year… Read more »

sean
sean

i work for a local street department, and i would file a grievance with the union for working outside of our job description (assuming they asked us to do it) and/or preservation of work (assuming they used our equipment) if this happened in my town.

Libertarian4Life
Libertarian4Life

Everyone on here is pointing the finger at Benchmade, who for years has made it clear that they back the military and local police, however, when they obliged to their request everyone all of the sudden has an issue with them. Maybe instead of blasting a company you should save your energy to battle the real culprits… Benchmade didn’t write these policies. They also weren’t the ones that stole the guns from their rightful owners. And those who want to say that Benchmade is anti 2A really need to stop and think about what they are saying. The 2A doesn’t… Read more »

SkrewBenchmade
SkrewBenchmade

Yeah. I figured you for a Benchmade apologist based on your previous comment.

Jimboinwv
Jimboinwv

Hey, dumbass…look who they gave money to in the 2012 elections. Stop bowing up until you research all the facts…just like all the social media people with young Sandman…and the contribution money to anti 2A Dems could only come from the owner…

Michael Z. Williamson
Michael Z. Williamson

So if the guns were stolen, you support cutting them up rather than returning them to the owners?

There’s “supporting law enforcement” and “being a copsucker.”

We know which they and you are.

If the pigs want to cut up guns, the local street department has an angle grinder and a torch. There was zero reason for B!tchmade to get involved.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

@Liberarian4Life, We did not know that they meant “… that they back the military and local police, … ” in preference to the American people, American Constitutional Civil Rights, and their customers. Boycott Benchmade.

Doug
Doug

Nope, Benchmade donates all their political capitol to Democrats.

Superfluous Man
Superfluous Man

Benchmade says, “Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights.”

Well, Benchmade, you’re gonna have to choose. You can’t support both.

Jimboinwv
Jimboinwv

Actually, you can do both…but…at the end of the day…every concession we give to anti-2A factions just decrease our chance of winning…let them destroy their confiscated weapons. Peolice officers are not the bad guys…when the times come for them to storm our houses, the majority will be home protecting their own…it’s not you everyday policeperson, it’s the system they are forced to work in…I am sooo disappointed with the Benchmade folks..my friend used to say “I’m a little disappointed, but I’m not surprised…” come on..they choose to have their business in Oregon..

Charles Bender
Charles Bender

I have to agree that the police department could have sold these guns to law abiding citizens and then used the money to buy needed supplies for their department.

Cam
Cam

Screw them, I haven’t bought a Benchmade for more than 5 years but won’t be buying again. That knife had a crappy temper and once the factory edge was gone resharpening was impossible.

D
D
Reply to  Cam

Sound like you suck at sharpening.

Jim Harris
Jim Harris

Heres to Bench made

Duncan
Duncan

Forget Benchmade – no more $ from me

Colonialgirl
Colonialgirl

This moronic idiotic company has a HISTORY of large donations to the left winger, liberal, communist democrat party.
DO NOT BUY their products.

Donttreadonme
Donttreadonme

Nice try Benchmade, but how do you explain donating to the Democrat Party for the past eight years and supporting the anti-gunners?

You can thank your loyalty to the Oregon Police Department and the Democrat Party for having this impact on your business. Personally I am thankful that they exposed you as traitors could have Constitution and the Second Amendment. My only hope is that enough people find out how you can support in the Democrats financially so that your business is crippled.

Jim
Jim

Sad but mad. I just swapped out my EDC knife and will never again be purchasing from Benchmade.

Ridgerunner
Ridgerunner

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. You will never find their crap in my bags.

Rokflyer
Rokflyer

I have one Benchmade knife, that in all honesty is a great knife though greatly overpriced. Be that as it may, I will never buy another knife from your company. Do you really think these goofy Antifa liberals are shelling out 150.00 bucks plus! for your products. Your business sense is not good at all, and your patriotism is worse. I will carry on with my Case XX knives and feel better about what I stand for.

Michael A Smith
Michael A Smith

Stupid decision Benchmade. Our relationship is over. Don’t bother with the excuses.

Bob
Bob

If the PD wants to destroy confiscated weapons, let them buy their own equipment.
BTW, I tend to like Buck knives.

Dave Mehaffey
Dave Mehaffey

How can you possibly spin this far enough to vow that Benchmade supports guns-2nd Amendment?

BlackPowderBill FFL
BlackPowderBill FFL

BULL!
Every Police department and county has a facility maintenance department that has equipment to cut firearms down. Don’t blow smoke up out rears Benchmade & Chief!
IMO any law enforcement or government agency that destroys an salable asset needs some new management. LE constantly whines they need money , yet they continue to throw cash in the scrap heap cause it’s our policy.
Very weak excuses from Benchmade and the Police Chief.. SMH
These corporations just don’t care about us citizens they are always looking for that big government contract.
BlackPowderBill FFL 30+ years

Michael Z. Williamson
Michael Z. Williamson

I wonder why they couldn’t find $15 for a Hazard Fraught angle grinder in their budget from asset forfeiture.

Crazy 1
Crazy 1

Do not bring a knife to a gun fight, and screw benchmade!

Robert
Robert

Glad I buy Buck. Karma’s a bitch Benchmade be sure y’all wipe your shoes off before you go in your house tonight because y’all damn sure stepped in it this time!!

Craig
Craig

Benchmade please change your name to wenchmade. We can tell by the candidates you support you have bee stabbing gun owners in the back for awhile. Piss off!

Vanns40
Vanns40

This was a PR statement put out by their PR Dept to try and ease the damage. When you look at their history, which includes moving far to the Left and support of Liberal policies and candidates, it all rings hollow. They can choose whomever they want to support BUT, so can we. I choose to seek out and support small manufacturers who have stood by the Constitution no matter what slings and arrows come their way from the Far Left.

TomZ
TomZ

Benchmark is now off the table for me, anti 2nd amendment ass kissers.

DWEEZIL THE WEASEL
DWEEZIL THE WEASEL

It would just as easy for the Leviathan’s Orcs to throw them in the ocean. The agency I worked for in SoCal would dismantle firearms, burn the wooden stocks, and use their Harbor Patrol Division to transport the metal parts out to the middle of the Catalina Channel, where they would be given the deep six. The good stuff, such as S&W 38s and 357s, or ARs, would be kept. The revolvers would be issued to new recruits who could not afford to purchase one. The other firearms would be retained for tactical units. Anything unusual or of an odd… Read more »

Perry Roberts
Perry Roberts

If Huey, Duey and Chewy are legal to own firearms, then you shouldn’t be worried about them using them against you. If your an honest cop who follows the law and constitution you are swarn to uphold. Am I wrong?

191145
191145

Oregon is anti gun anyway . It doesn’t matter what their “policy” is, it was put in place by anti gun politicians . Benchmade should have refused on principal . I have 3 Benchmade knives that have a date with the cutting torch . C – YA !

Libertarian4Life
Libertarian4Life
Reply to  191145

I’ll take them off your hands! What a stupid statement to make, you already purchased them, and cutting them up doesn’t hurt the company. It only shows you’re an idiot.

Conservative inexile
Conservative inexile
Reply to  191145

Please don’t cut them up. Sell them to someone who wants them and screw Benchmade out of the sale of three new knives.

Jeff
Jeff

I will NEVER buy another knife from Benchmade.

Wayne Hennie
Wayne Hennie

This certainly does not look much like Benchmark “supports the 2nd amendment”.. I’ll not be buying and thus “supporting” Benchmark in the future.

Corrector
Corrector
Reply to  Wayne Hennie

Benchmade not Benchmark

john m nelson
john m nelson

No more. I’ll be sure to pass along to all my military friends

happenstandermanner
happenstandermanner

Seriously? The police department can’t afford an angle grinder from Harbor Freight? WTF?

Cam
Cam

They can but none of the cops could figure out how to use it.

RotaryConnected
RotaryConnected

Never buy anything electrical or electronic from Harbor Freight. Everything like that, that I bought from them, was a piece of crap. At first everything seemed fine, but soon after, as soon as the 60 or 90 day warranty expired, so did the item. Even some of their other stuff is crap.