The Tactical Industry and the Erosion of Constitutional Rights

by Eric Dorenbush – Green Eye Tactical

Benchmade assists Oregon City Police in the destruction of firearms
Benchmade assists Oregon City Police in the destruction of firearms

U.S.A.-(Ammoland.com)- Earlier this week, a Facebook post by the Oregon City Police went viral and resulted in severe backlash to the knife company Benchmade.

Right up front, I want to restate, as I have in the past, that Green Eye Tactical trains RESPONSIBLE citizens. That is how I look at it. I don’t care if you are civilian, LE, Fed, Military, or whatever we will offer the same high-level training. I provide no training for LE or Mil that I would not offer to civilians.

I base my position in the issue on the Constitution and its original intent. Period. I’m not a “but”er. You either believe in the Constitution, as written, within the purpose and frame of when the founders wrote it, or you don’t.

I do have a high degree of respect for our Law Enforcement Officers. They do a completely thankless job where they are underpaid, underfunded, undermanned, undertrained and under-equipped. And it is OUR fault as taxpaying voters and citizens. However, you are volunteering for a job where you are enforcing laws and protecting rights- and all that entails.

Just as there are people who I would not train, there are departments and agencies that I will not teach. One of my local departments are on my blacklist due to their ingrained positions on engaging someone for the mere presence of a firearm, whether it was legal use or not. Everyone has to search themselves and determine where they stand and what lines they will not cross. That’s mine. Your lines may be different, and that’s fine. It is your choice. /rant off.

Back to the issue at hand, in this post, the department thanked Benchmade for assisting in destroying confiscated firearms, in the Benchmade shop. There were also pictures of the destruction posted.

This post quickly spread on social media pages and has resulted in numerous boycott campaigns. The new leading 2a advocates, the Firearms Policy Coalition, even posted a screenshot of their FOIA request to Oregon City Police.

Firearms Policy Coalition FOIA request to Oregon City Police
Firearms Policy Coalition FOIA request to Oregon City Police

So, why is this such a big deal?

Well, if you have been following the news lately, there have been massive encroachments into many Constitutional rights across the country, including, in this case, the Second Amendment. Recently, Oregon narrowly passed their Red Flag laws- along with some other states. These laws allow for the immediate confiscation of firearms, without due process. These laws are a very sensitive issue in the industry today.

When we put things together and view the totality of circumstances, we see a police agency in a red flag law state destroying confiscated firearms. We have a popular company in the industry aiding them (interestingly, committing a federal felony in one of the pictures). This insight can give viewers the perception that the Police may have taken these firearms without due process in one of these red flag cases.

That might sound like a bit of a leap in logic, mixed in with assumptions- but there is more to the story.

As with most things, when someone calls attention to something, that thing gets looked into:https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000047693&cycle=A&fbclid=IwAR0YxWklPFmV9uCF7Cf2I4SvWyy0Ant_Y55ccxB6op1-7zP0LUO-jUQJQRI

It looks like starting in 2012, Benchmade increased political spending. They also ceased contributions to Conservative candidates and solely donated to Democrat candidates.

Benchmade donated to two primary state officials in 2017-2018.

The first is Rep. Kurt Schrader. He is the rep for Oregon’s 5th Congressional District. He is not a pro-2a official. In 2012 he was quoted by The Oregonian as saying:

“However, while the immediate focus will inevitably be to ban certain firearms and magazines, the problems we have are more deeply rooted in American society.”, after the Connecticut school shooting.

If that 2012 date looks familiar, that is where Benchmade’s political contributions switched from small donations to Conservative candidates, to more substantial contributions to Democratic candidates.

The second contribution is even more puzzling than the first. That donation was to Senator Martin Heinrich of NEW MEXICO. I scrubbed through all of Benchmade’s business listings and couldn’t find any business interests in that state.

Martin Heinrich is an interesting name. He is not well known, but he was one of the names in the hat for Hillary Clinton’s Vice-Presidential candidate for the 2016 election. This guy has MUCH scarier views on the Second Amendment.

In 2018 the Albuquerque Journal as saying:

“It doesn’t matter if you have a folding stock, it doesn’t matter if you have a pistol grip … but it does matter how the action cycles and how fast they (the weapons) can throw lead downrange, and how many times you can pull the trigger before you’re out of ammunition, Those are the functional things that are at the heart of what makes these (guns) so dangerous compared to other firearms.”

Yeah, this guy wants to forget targeting cosmetics and re-define language restricting firearms to function, capability and effectiveness.

Read the interview to grasp the full extent: https://www.abqjournal.com/1153462/heinrich-hopes-to-influence-gun-debate.html

So, now when we look at the totality of circumstances, we see that Benchmade changed politics back in 2012. They supported two leading candidates, both anti-2a Democrats, one of which isn’t even in their state.

Oregon passes controversial Red Flag confiscation laws, and these laws are a very hot button topic in the industry today. Then Benchmade’s local police department asks Benchmade for help in destroying confiscated firearms, and they happily comply.

Both Oregon City Police and Benchmade have posted replies where they apologize or walk back the posts. I think that they are very telling also:

Oregon City PD Satement
Oregon City PD Satement
Benchmade Statement
Benchmade Statement

First off, the Oregon City Police’s wrote the post craftily. Pay attention to:

“We receive guns that are turned in from community members that they no longer want the guns and want them destroyed. We also have guns that are evidence and when a case is adjudicated the guns are ordered by the court to be destroyed.”

This post is a broad and general statement. It does not say “the guns in this picture” or “the guns in this post.” To excuse the pun, this raises some red flags immediately to me.

If criminals used these firearms in violent felonies (robbery, assault, etc.) I think most people wouldn’t be too upset. Equally, it is the property owner’s choice to do what they want with their property. So, if some gun owner doesn’t want their firearm anymore and takes it willingly to the police to have it disposed of, then hey, that’s your choice. I may not agree with it, but that’s your right. Regardless, what they are NOT definitively stating speaks volumes, at least to me.

Likewise, if you look at Benchmade’s response above (or in the gallery of pictures if you are on FB), it is utterly devoid of addressing the issue that has caused this uproar. They simply state:

“Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.”

And then they follow up with:

“Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights.”

Yet they make zero statements quantifying what “rights” they support, nor do they address the gun confiscation issue. How simple would it be to state:

“We were assured by OCP that all firearms destroyed were used in violent crimes or destroyed at the owner’s request”?

Case closed at that point for me. You can’t hide behind policy or law if it is unconstitutional. You can’t hide behind “I was following orders” if that order was unconstitutional or immoral, period.

I reserved judgment when I saw this issue go viral before I had time to adequately research this issue, which is why my article here is late to the party. However, at this point, I feel that there is enough to make a statement on the subject.

Here it is:

Green Eye Tactical will no longer recommend Benchmade products. While Green Eye Tactical has never been contacted by or provided training for Oregon City Police in the past, they will be added to our Blacklist and will be ineligible for any Training, Consulting, or Advice in the future. If either Oregon City Police or Benchmade make definitive statements that clearly state their position on the pertinent issues (following policy doesn’t count), then we will re-evaluate this position.

It is my hope that other product suppliers, consumers, and trainers in the industry also make their position on the issue clear as well.

About Eric Dorenbush – Green Eye TacticalGreen Eye Tactical

Eric is a U.S. Army Special Operations veteran with Extensive combat experience in Afghanistan and Iraq. He has served in the 82nd Airborne Division and 1st SFOD-D as an Operator. He has been instructing Special Operations personnel, Law Enforcement, Military and Civilians since 2010. He is also an NRA certified instructor and a Texas Concealed Carry Instructor.

Ken Murrah
Ken Murrah
1 year ago

Never owned a Benchmade Knife, and don’t plan to. Sticking with my Ka-bars, thanks.

Freeillinois
Freeillinois
1 year ago

Benchmade must be boycotted until they are put out of business. I do not want to hear any more nonsense about a so-called legal reason to destroy or confiscate guns.

Benshmade is done.

Texas Charlie
Texas Charlie
1 year ago

Please do not use the term “Democratic Candidates”. They are certainly Democrats, but in no way are they Democratic. Thank you.

John T Turner
John T Turner
1 year ago

Benchmade!! I’ve bought my last knife from you.
Your response? Elizabeth Watren night say you speak with forked tongue. Talk is cheap. $$ to any Democrat is treasonous. Support and defend the Constitution?
I won’t buy another Benchmade product. I’m unsubscring from your emails. Nice knowing you.

Gerry
Gerry
1 year ago

Absurd, overblown bullshit. The explanation by the police is complete and entirely within the practice of agencies across the country – when they are ordered by the court or requested by a citizen, they destroy firearms. That’s all that matters. We don’t have to like it, nor do the cops. A “higher authority” made the decision – go beat down the judge’s door. As for Benchmade in this particular instance, so what if they helped the police? People seem to expect them to say, “Hell no, officer, I don’t believe in cutting up guns. It’s UNAMERICAN!” But instead, they decided… Read more »

Jim
Jim
Reply to  Gerry

Cops are doing what they do (enforcing whatever law stupid or not it is the law–probably liberal democrat crap) –but the knife company that makes fighters, and of all things hunting knives (that need guns and hunters), etc Benchmark certainly do not need to help by cutting up guns–unless they really need the contracted money to do so due to lost sales–and if that is the case, wait until this gets through the gun and hunting industry.

Robert Pollard
Robert Pollard
Reply to  Gerry

So, when do you actually stand up for the 2nd amendment, after the “practice of agencies across the country” takes your guns away as well? What this is all about is not supporting red flag laws. If you think they’re good and it’s okay, China probably needs some more organ donors if you’re okay with Communism. I don’t think you really understand the gravity of the red flag law situation. All agencies do not support red flag laws across the country. I can tell you for a fact that Sheriff’s all across Washington state are rebelling against red flag laws.… Read more »

luckieboy
luckieboy
1 year ago

A statement from Benchmade might or should read: We at Benchmade at one time supplied fine knives to the American and free international sportsman. We now are proud to say we are the sole supplier of the world’s most expensive letter openers used exclusively by the Democratic Party of the United States. You can find our letter openers on any Democratic statesman’s desk. Talk about crapping where you eat…….

Jim
Jim
1 year ago

After reviewing and digesting this information, I have concluded two things. Benchmade made a grievous error in judgement, and I will never purchase any other product representing their trademark. Oh, a third thing, as I will discuss this with any and all people I encounter and reiterate my stance on Benchmade as yet another sellout on our 2A rights.

Adam Grantham
Adam Grantham
1 year ago

Who benefits from an outright ban on firearms? Knife companies, looking to supply those law abiding citizens who can no longer legally do so with firearms, a tool to use in the defense of their and their families safety. Why wouldn’t a knife company support anti 2A agendas when it eventually leads to them selling more product? This is short sighted thinking on Benchmades part, however, because one need only look to the UK for what happens after gun bans and violent crime with knives begins going through the roof… what comes next? Knife bans! This whole thing is ridiculous… Read more »

Robert Pollard
Robert Pollard
Reply to  Adam Grantham

You are correct about what gets banned next after guns with the UK being a perfect example. The globalists want you to be a victim and taking every thing away from you that you could use to defend yourself and allow the invaders to attain any weapon they want is what they do.
Obviously, there’s a Democrat at the top of the company as they only are thinking short term.

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up
1 year ago

CRKT and Zero Tolerance makes some nice knives using USA steel and manufacturing, though some of CRKT knives are made with Chinese steel. You need to look at the type of steel in the knife description. Also another good clue is if it’s cheap, it’s likely made with Chinese steel. Like most quality, you need to spend a bit more for it. I refuse to buy knives made in China or made with Chinese steel. At a gun show last year, I commented to a knife vendor, after looking at his knives, that I wasn’t buying because all his knives… Read more »

tomcat
tomcat
1 year ago

I had never heard of benchmade products before. I try not to buy things made in commie China so I wouldn’t give them a thought if I ever looked at one. They sure got a lot of publicity here though, just like the Hollywierd gang does. Negative publicity runs people off rather than bringing them closer. They made their bed, now they have to lay in it, or they could change their name and sell some other Chinese junk.

RB
RB
1 year ago

my Zero Tolerance is twice as beautiful as it was before I read this article. Hopefully the Bernie-ites &AOC’s adoring sheeple like $250.00 knives as they’ll be the ones doing business with Bit*hmade Knives. Unfreakinbelievably stupid move in the 2A climate we are in right now. Remember “ Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don’t”

Perry Roberts
Perry Roberts
1 year ago

If those guns had serial numbers that could be traced back to a legal owner, they should not be destroyed, they should be returned to the owner. That being said, if they are serialised guns and are legal guns to be owned, they should be sold to the public. I can only think of a very few excuses to destroy guns. If they are unsafe to be used maybe. I myself recovered a firearm that had been stolen some 15 years earlier, long story short, when I picked it up from the sheriff’s impound, it was painted gold. The guy… Read more »

Spanky
Spanky
1 year ago

Plenty of other companies to do business with besides Benchmade, I will never buy another item produced by Benchmade as long as I draw breath!!

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Spanky

Can anyone say Zero Tolerance??

Spanky
Spanky
Reply to  Robert

If there were such a thing beyond negative tolerance this would be it!!

Seriously considering destroying my Benchmade knives and sending them back to them in pieces!

Texas Charlie
Texas Charlie
Reply to  Spanky

Use your local knife shops “special equipment” and send pix to Benchmade.

MB
MB
1 year ago

They only support Democrats, as per last 2 elections. What’s that business model for when the Dems bring London type knife bans here? Just wondering how stupid are the officers of that company .Never owned any of their crappy knives, all the more reason not to now.

Robert Black
Robert Black
1 year ago

Since when are side grinders specialty equipment? I buy Buck or Kershaw anyway but Benchmade is now no longer even an option. What is wrong with the people on both coasts??

Jack
Jack
1 year ago

Hummm, a knife company that imports Chinese foreign made knives to begin with now destroys our firearms–just sounds really wrong! I think I will stick with my only all American made White River Knives forever!

Chris Mallory
Chris Mallory
1 year ago

Civilians are government employees not in the military. LEOs, Feds, and DMV clerks are all civilians. People who have to be productive and produce a profit for their livelihoods are CITIZENS. All those civilians live off the sweat of the citizen’s brow.

m.
m.
1 year ago

bitch-made: goodbye & good riddance. God help the patriots still living in ore-gone.

Bill Gkar
Bill Gkar
1 year ago

Whoever, at Benchmade, made this decision should be fired…right along with their Marketing VP for not having sense enough to know you don’t alienate your customers! This was a very stupid move on their part, demonstrating little understanding of their marketplace and who their customers are. This is what happens when you mix politics with business. They deserve what they’re about to get!

Margo Ann
Margo Ann
1 year ago

it is a very sad day for our country for sure… i see line upon line of white crosses in our national cemeteries most of them from fighting socialism in from or another… now we have a political party in our own nation that openly endorses socialism,a political party that would love to see us disarmed and incapable of resisting …so weather it be a police force, our own military…( God forbid..and yes i used that bad word GOD ) or some international body such as the U.N. so as to avoid conflict between the american people and our own… Read more »

Navyseadog
Navyseadog
1 year ago

What a crying shame Benchmade has some of he finest knives around, I have many but it will be a long time till I buy another unless the clarify their position.

Chris Cary
Chris Cary
1 year ago

I will never spend money with benchmade, supporters of dem/antifa scum

Vanns40
Vanns40
1 year ago

I have Benchmade and will be selling them. The nice thing about this is that there are, literally, thousands of manufacturers waiting to take their place. We can do the little guys a huge favor by searching them out and spending our hard earned $$$ with them.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
1 year ago

The capitalists will sell us the rope that we hang them with. Benchmade will sell us the services to destroy the tools of freedom with.

Snuffy
Snuffy
1 year ago

Benchmade Knives claims to support the second amendment, and at the same time supports democrat politicians with donations. BS

Gdubb
Gdubb
1 year ago

Benchmade just signed their own death warrant, with the help of a communist-led police agency. They obviously do not support 2A – Quite the opposite as made abundantly clear here. We should have known better – the butterfly logo should have been a dead giveaway that they are a weak company with little integrity and poor judgemental ability.

Dr. Daniel R. Thomas
Dr. Daniel R. Thomas
1 year ago

It is a shame that this happened. Clearly poor thinking is captured in these images. I will no longer support Benchmade and their products. I am also having mine destroyed. Perhaps I will send them to the OPD for destruction?

Ben
Ben
1 year ago

Benchmade is dead to me. Go piss up a rope. No benchmade, Nike, dicks sg, Levi’s, yetti and many others. Bye bye

Shaun
Shaun
1 year ago

I will no longer buy benchmade products! And I will spread the word.

Witold Pilecki
Witold Pilecki
Reply to  Shaun

Let’s see…what proud Second Amendment pro-freedom and liberty company can I get to grind up my Bench-Made knife, and post the photos of the destruction on-line?

Chris Howard
Chris Howard
1 year ago

Anybody or any Company that supports ANTI 2A RIGHTS is lower than the snakes they are supporting !!!!!

Ron
Ron
1 year ago

Wait till Benchmark is on the carpet. Like England, knives will be targeted here too. Then BM can be cut up by some fork and spoon Co. What goes around,comes around.

GaryGary
GaryGary
1 year ago

Personal Bench Mark is off my shopping list permanently !

Don
Don
1 year ago

It’s hard to believe that people in Oregon have unwanted guns and no need for a little extra money. They could take an unwanted gun to any gun shop and get SOMETHING for it. I wouldn’t refuse to pick up 20 dollars on the sidewalk if I found it and I doubt these casual gun owners would refuse it from a gun shop either. My credibility warning buzzer is going off now.

JC
JC
1 year ago

At this point anyone who supports the Democratic Party, I don’t even want to know. The Democratics have basically gone off the deep end. The epitome of stupidity.

Steve
Steve
1 year ago

BenchMade can write excuse posts until the cows come home. Apparently the management does not know the word: “NO”
There are plenty of other fine makers of great knives available. BenchMade is no longer an option for me.

Trevor
Trevor
1 year ago

It was easy to throw away my Gillette products, stop shopping at Dick’s SG, dig through the bevy or car rental companies to find a company that still supports the 2A and all the other sacrifices I make in defense of my right to self defense but it’s gonna take me a minute to find a replacement for my BM 781.
I guess I’ll try sending it back in the box as I received it with a copy of this article and maybe they will send me my money back for the same reason I’m sending the knife back DISASSOCIATION

JMR
JMR
Reply to  Trevor

Just sell it, it takes money out of their hands by not giving them a sale and puts money back in yours.

dava golino
dava golino
1 year ago

what comes around goes around. look at the EU Controlled UK. After they took the guns they went after knives . in Londonstan the little Soy boy muzzy mayor wants all knives to be blunted. so who will be asked to cut up Benchmade stuff?

Tactical Tea Company
Tactical Tea Company
1 year ago

Not pointed out by the author is the blatant hypocrisy of Benchmade’s statement of being an “unwavering” supporter of the Second Amendment while also donating to anti-2A politicians.

F*ck Benchmade.

-TTC

SteveK
SteveK
1 year ago

Hmmm, I don’t think you can simultaneously support The 2A AND support anti-gun democrat politicians.

Doug
Doug
1 year ago

I was looking to purchase a specific benchmade knife last week. No more . I will just stick with an old favorite. Buck knives are less expensiive and last a lifetime.

EJ
EJ
1 year ago

I have not nor will I in the future purchase Benchmade products. Their are hypocritical and why would I do business with a company that has mixed priorities.

Mark R
Mark R
1 year ago

Interesting article. For the past couple of years I have considered purchasing a knife and training to use it for personal protection. In my local arms dealer shop, they mostly carry Benchmade knives which are very expensive. I thought, “well, if I save a little here and there I can buy one of these knives.” After reviewing the article and the facts to date, I will not purchase any Benchmade knives most importantly BECAUSE of their contributions to democRAT party members. No way; no how.

Gary Smith
Gary Smith
1 year ago

I wish companies like Benchmade would stay the hell out of politics IE. Political Donations. I will no longer consider Benchmade knives for this reason.

Irv Stark
Irv Stark
Reply to  Gary Smith

Would you feel the same if the political donations had gone to politicians who support 2A?

Martin
Martin
1 year ago

Sounds to me as though Benchmade stepped in it, big time.
Not one to call for boycotts, but wonder who might purchase their products in the future.

C
C
1 year ago

There are hundreds of other businesses that would have been happy to destroy those guns. Machine shops, body shops, welding shops, fabricators, mechanics, scrap yards, etc. Terrible optics for BM to be the ONE AND ONLY facility to do it For some reason, BM wanted this notoriety. Now the can own it..

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  C

Heck I’d a dunnit with my oxyacetylene cutting torch… on two ocnditions: they deliver the guns and walk away, and I get paperwork declaring I am legally in possession of those firearms and am thus immunt from any prosecution. I won’t even charge them for the gas I won’t use…………… wink wink nod nod. NO WAY should these guns have been destroyed, even if the SN’s had been ground off. They can be legally renumbered and thus get back out there and do what they were built to do. This is political theatre at its most disgusting, for both of… Read more »

Iconic Industries
Iconic Industries

Exactly.

Conrad
Conrad
1 year ago

The soy boys at Benchmade need to learn how to write code.
There are other Companies who have wood for the Constitution and can carry the extra weight.
So long Benchmade.

REPEAL THE SAFE ACT
REPEAL THE SAFE ACT
1 year ago

Just remember Karma’s a bitch, when your dem buddies go after are knifes next ,the same one benchmade produce then what?

Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy
1 year ago

After all knifes are Arms,covered under the same 2 amendment as the firearms the destroyed,there is that karma thing again.
Glad I don’t own any Benchmade products !

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
1 year ago

Agree totally with the authors viewpoint.

Dusty
Dusty
1 year ago

Corrupt cops, nothing new. Benchmade donates to democrat politicians, which is an even bigger issue than this PR nightmare. As usual, all parties are the bad guys. No more looking at Benchmade for any knife shopping.