At Home and at Work, More Self-Defense Gun Stories

Scared Bed Gun Nightstand Self Defense
Scared Bed Gun Nightstand Self Defense

Louisiana –-(Ammoland.com)- Here is the news you won’t get from the mainstream media. Again this week, responsible gun owners defend themselves and the people they love.

Self-defense instructor Tiffany Johnson joins the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast to look at four new examples. Were these gun owners lucky, or did they have a plan and training?  What can we learn from their experience? Listen and find out. (25-minute audio)

These victims survived lethal attacks because they had a gun..and a plan.

Click the title links for more info:

First story-  Are you armed at home?

It is about 9 in the evening on a saturday night, and you and your wife are at home. You hear someone beating on the side of your house. You get up and go to the front door, but no one is there. You go back inside an hear someone beating on your back door. This time you grab your shotgun and go investigate. You see two men and tell them to go away. You open the door to shout at them and they push their way inside. You chase one man who is headed toward your bedroom and your wife. He grabs you and pushes you toward the bed. You fall down, then roll over and shoot the home invader.

Now the intruder runs out of your home. You walk back into the center of your home to see the second intruder stick his head through the door before he also runs away. You call police.

They find your attackers nearby. They are charged with aggravated assault, and burglary/breaking and entering.

Second Story-  Do you have a firearm nearby at night when you sleep?

It is after midnight on a weekday night. You hear a number of men shouting and beating on your front door. You get up and walk toward the front door before you decide to go back upstairs and get your handgun. By the time you get back downstairs, you see three young men standing inside your home after they kicked in your front door. The intruders see you, and they see the gun in your hand. They turn and run.

You call police. The police arrest the three young men who say they entered the wrong home when they were looking for another young man they wanted to fight. All three are charged with felony burglary.

Third story- Are you armed at work in the middle of the day?

You’re behind the counter at a pawn and gun shop. It is the middle of the day in the middle of the week. Four teenagers walk into the store along with other customers. The two older teenagers ask to see some handguns. You show them the guns, but they don’t seem to be listening. You exchange looks with the three other employees who are in the display room. Two of the teens grab your guns and run. Two of the store owners and two employees are right behind them. All of you are armed. One of your employees tackles one of the robbers. You corner one of them as he tries to enter his car. Other store employees have already called the police.

You’ve seen these four criminals before. You were robbed earlier this month. You show the security video to the police. The police connect these robbers with several other gun shop robberies in your area.

Fourth story- Are you armed at home?

It is a little after noon when you hear someone at your back door. You’re a 79 year old grandmother and are home alone. You’re worried, so you call the police. You have them on the phone when the intruder breaks the glass of your back door. You shoot at the intruder and he runs away. A few minutes later you hear someone break through the glass door on your upstairs porch. Now you hear him upstairs. You shoot at him again.

The police arrive a few minutes later and arrest the 20 year old man as he hid in an upstairs closet.

What would you do in these situations? Podcast and full discussion at the link.

Slow FactsAbout Rob Morse

Rob writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily, and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. Rob is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.

Find Tiffany Johnson at Front Sight Press, at Citizens Safety Academy, and at Rangemaster.

Finnky
Finnky
1 month ago

In forth story, when grandma was verbally threatening the robber – While as Rob points out, it could easily be misconstrued as taunting them in effort to get them to come out where you can shoot them – in this case I took it as a non threatening grandmother making an effort to make her warnings credible so that’s she wouldn’t be forced to shoot. In that light, her verbal threats don’t appear to have worked – robber evidently didn’t believe she was a threat until after the second time she shot at him. Whispered pleas to dispatcher support this… Read more »

RoyD
RoyD
1 month ago

First off, in “story three” the clerk was in violation if he allowed persons under the age of twenty one to handle handguns.

Knute
Knute
1 month ago
Reply to  RoyD

Not quite. I ran a pawnshop with an FFL for a decade in the 1990’s. The rule is: sell, deliver or transfer a firearm to minors, not “possession” of. https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao-ut/legacy/2013/06/03/guncard.pdf Note in Part 7: “18 USC § 922(b).A firearms licensee faces up to 5 years imprisonment. A. May not sell, deliver or transfer a handgun or handgun-only ammunition to a person who is under age 18; B. A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun-only ammunition;(Certain exceptions apply to A & B, such as where juvenile possesses written permission of a parent.); Note the exception, where… Read more »

RoyD
RoyD
1 month ago
Reply to  Knute

I stand by my statement. In addition some State laws are even more restrictive. But, people are free to choose what they do as far as I am concerned. Choose wisely.

Knute
Knute
1 month ago
Reply to  RoyD

You are correct. State laws vary wildly. I was only refering to Federal Law as it applies to FFL holders. Many States have additional restrictions, but we cannot go into them without knowing the specific State in the hypothetical scenario. We also cannot go into whether the “other customers” mentioned were the teenager parents, since the hypothetical scenario does not say.
I was only pointing out that we cannot make the blanket statement that; “the clerk was in violation”, since whether he was or not depends upon other factors that we do not know.

R L Diehl
R L Diehl

I thought the 4th story had the most interesting factor; the intruder was shot at, ran away, but returned and tried to break in again! What is the mindset that takes that kind of chance? In other cases, it is fairly common for a person to continue to advance even though they have a gun pointed at them and are warned that they will be shot! Moral of the story: If you employ a gun, be ready to use it.

Pastor Roy
Pastor Roy
1 month ago
Reply to  R L Diehl

Absolutely. My wife and my sisters all carry. But I’m concerned that none of them have what it takes to actually shoot someone. I’m constantly telling them not to pull their gun unless they’re willing to use it, because if they don’t, their attacker will use it on them.

Finnky
Finnky
1 month ago
Reply to  Pastor Roy

I put off getting my CHL for that very reason. After a few classes and some soul searching I decided I had the skills and will to act appropriately. Had CHL, which converted to LTC though I persist with concealed.
My wife lacks skills and mindset to carry. I’m working on it – though not effectively.

Witold Pilecki
Witold Pilecki

In 35+ years of carrying a firearm, I have only displayed it once, and the potential bad guy went away. Here is that full story. My wife and I live in rural eastern CT with no town police department, only the six shift state troopers on patrol at any given time. On a good night, we can expect a trooper in 5 minutes at the latest, but during bad weather, trouble at the prisons or at UConn, we are basically on our own. Around 10:30 PM on Christmas Eve 2012, I was called out with my local fire department for… Read more »

JDL
JDL
Reply to  Witold Pilecki

Really a sad statement that in CT you can’t tell the police that you are armed in your home. CT – the UNconstitution state…

Pastor Roy
Pastor Roy
1 month ago
Reply to  Witold Pilecki

Appears to me that you handled everything exactly right. Or maybe I should say, you handled it exactly as I would have! 😉