U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- Gun-control failed again in Virginia Beach, and it failed big. A disgruntled city employee quit his job and then came back to kill 11 of his coworkers. The news media and gun-prohibitionists called for more more gun-control while ignoring all the failed gun-control regulations that were in place. These gun-prohibitions didn’t keep us safe in Virginia Beach.
Why would new laws work any better?
- The murderer passed a required background check. The background checks, which looks backwards, failed to predict future behavior. Background checks never find new criminals.
- Local preemption means that cities can write their own gun laws that are more restrictive than state law. Virginia Beach did that and it failed to stop this murderer. In fact, it enabled the attack.
- Virginia Beach declared its municipal building as a “gun-free” zone. The city did not post armed guards after they disarmed their employees. We know that murderers prefer “gun-free” zones for their attacks because these zones disarm the intended victims. We also know Virginia Beach city employees wanted to go armed at work for their own safety.
- Concealed carry licensing didn’t disarm the murderer. All the criminal histories and fingerprint requirements failed to identify this murderer or stop him, but these gun-prohibitions might have disarmed his victims.
- We already regulate noise suppressors on firearms, but that didn’t disarm the murderer. Both the victims and the responding officers heard the gunshots.
- There was an extraordinarily rapid police response, but electronic key-card access on the municipal building kept police outside while people died inside. Security doors keep out both the bad guys and the good guys.
- The elevated stairway/entrance prevented a terrorist from crashing a vehicle into the main hallway of the municipal building. The stairway also kept first responders from breaking down the doors.
- As expected, no more innocent victims were shot once the murderer faced armed opposition. A good guy with a gun stopped the bad guy with a gun. Does that surprise anyone?
The 23 thousand firearms regulations we already have in place failed us. They did not stop this murderer. They will not stop the next one. Democrat politicians proposed more of the same ideas that failed so badly in Virginia Beach. That passes for leadership among the advocates of gun control.
Stop voting for failure.
About Rob Morse
The original article is here. Rob Morse writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily, and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. Rob is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.