Pensacola Murders Tell Us Much about Background Checks and More

Commander-in-Chief Donald Trump is in a position to do more than pray. And he did promise he would end military “gun-free zones.” (NAS Pensacola/Facebook)

U.S.A. – -(Ammoland.com)-Pensacola Naval Air Station shooter Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani “acquired his gun locally,” Heavy.com’s “5 Fast Facts” profile reports.

“The New York Times reported that the gunman used a ‘locally purchased Glock 45 9-millimeter handgun with an extended magazine’ and had more magazines in his possession,” the article explains. “The shooter was involved in an Air Force military sales training course and the Saudi government was paying for it, according to The Associated Press.”

It’s not clear that the second sentence has anything to do with the first. The whole paragraph is confusing because it does not say who “locally purchased” it. Per federal law:

“An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.”

The Pensacola News Journal brought us a bit closer:

“A foreign national is allowed to purchase a gun in the state of Florida if a certain set of criteria is met, he said. But [Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan] said he could not release information as to whether that is how the gunman was able to get his gun, referring those questions to the FBI, which is leading the investigation into the base shooting.”

NBC Investigates reporter Andrew Blankstein tweeted the most definitive explanation:

“1st [email protected]: While non-citizens are normally prohibited from buying handguns, Alshamrani used a LOOPHOLE to legally purchase his weapon from a dealer in Pensacola. Non-citizens w/ hunting licenses can buy firearms, and the shooter apparently had such a license, sources said.”

It's always a “loophole” with these people.

The point is, if he went through a dealer, Alshamrani went through a background check. And he went through more than that, according to the Associated Press:

“Foreign nationals participating in U.S. training go through a vetting process. The Pentagon said it includes screening for any illicit drug activities, support for terrorist organizations, corruption and criminal conduct. Those who fail to pass the approval process are not issued international travel orders.”

The same would apply to Alshamrani’s “fellow Saudi military students,” who, per the New York Post, “watched mass shooting videos” at a “dinner party” with the killer.

“One of the students at the dinner party recorded video outside the classroom during Alshamrani’s Friday morning rampage,” the Post reported. “The two others watched from a car…”

It’s curious that while “universal background checks” are one of the key demands of the Democrat-dominated citizen disarmament lobby, they reverse themselves when it comes to letting foreign nationals of unknown ideologies into this country, particularly when it comes to illegals. Instead, they demand open borders, amnesty and admitting and embedding “refugees” in communities throughout the Republic, most for whom no checks are possible because such records either don’t exist or are unobtainable. When President Trump imposed travel restrictions by executive order affecting Muslim countries associated with radical Islam, howls of xenophobia and racism were followed with legal action. Significantly, Republicans Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, and Jeb Bush joined in the condemnation.

That makes Graham’s call to suspend the foreign training program seem more than a bit bipolar, but this is politics after all. Have no doubt that groups like the Council on American-Islamic Relations and their Democrat promoters will finally say something — loudly — when they see an opportunity to exploit “Islamophobia (a search for “Pensacola” on the CAIR site and Facebook page yields nothing relevant at this writing).

Meanwhile, the question of what can and will be done remains, with the AP report noting: “[Defense Secretary Mark] Esper said he is ‘considering several steps to ensure the security of our military installations and the safety of our service members and their families.’ He provided no details.”

Then-candidate Donald Trump had some relevant “details” he was willing to share back when he was courting gun owners for votes:

“[Gun Free Zones] No, not optional. As Commander-in-Chief, I would mandate that soldiers remain armed and on alert at our military bases. President Clinton never should have passed a ban on soldiers being able to protect themselves on bases. America’s Armed Forces will be armed. They will be able to defend themselves against terrorists. Our brave soldiers should not be at risk because of policy created by civilian leadership. Political correctness has no place in this debate.”

What’s stopping him?

About David Codrea:David Codrea

David Codrea is the winner of multiple journalist awards for investigating/defending the RKBA and a long-time gun owner rights advocate who defiantly challenges the folly of citizen disarmament. He blogs at “The War on Guns: Notes from the Resistance,” is a regularly featured contributor to Firearms News, and posts on Twitter: @dcodrea and Facebook.

6 months ago

SO he had a hunting license? And THAT enabled him to buy a Glock? Will someone please tell me exactly WHAT one can hunt in Florida with a nine mm handgun?

What preciesly did his FLorida non-resident hunting license allow him to legally hunt?
And yes, I think thus exception for non-residents to legally buy guns IS a loophole that needs tightening up. I know Montana will issue non-resident hunting licenses, but they also have a requirement that non-residnets must be accompanied by a certified guide.

Bill N
Bill N
6 months ago

Is it just me? I think willheavy got Pensacola mixed up with Pearl harbor. The shooter in Hawaii used an issued weapon. The shooter in Fla used a locally purchased handgun. Funny, not a single comment about that fact.

Jim
Jim
6 months ago

Overall, we are damn lucky he was not training in a jet fighter when he went on his nut cake attack. Allowing “these people” to base their aircraft here or use ours for “training” ups the threat issue way past a handgun. While not armed jet fighters are potentially very high speed “cruse missiles.”

willheavy
willheavy
6 months ago

Everyone (news stories) seems to be ignoring or bypassing THAT THE WEAPON HE USED THAT KILLED THE MOST PEOPLE WAS THE ONE THE U.S. GOVERNMENT GAVE HIM. The first two people who died at his hands were killed using the US Government issued M4 carbine that he was issued for his guard duties. It was during a period of guard duty that he started his shooting incident. Regardless of whether he was able to get a “civilian” firearm – the LITERAL GOVERNMENT ASSAULT WEAPON (a TRUE one, because it had selectable burst fire) in his possession seems to be an… Read more »

Doszap
Doszap

But,
None dare all Muslim/Islamic’s Terrorists.(same Bstd’s that did 9-11 with our Govt’s help)………..Just WHITE FOLKS.
We LOVE GOD,Family Our Freedoms and we LOVE our Freedoms paid for with American blood for over 240 years, and our Constitution BOR’s and all the Amendments.
We hate Socialism and we hate what Socialists are Government controlled Marxism.

Justista
Justista
6 months ago

We were heading over to the Naval Air Museum inside the base last Friday when this happened.
I hope they electrocute this cretins cameraman and two buddies who knew about it and sat in the car and let it happen and bury them in a hog lot.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Justista

I’d say skip the electrocution, just hog tie them and leave them for the hogs. They have to know what’s happening for it to really mean anything 🙂

Vanns40
Vanns40
6 months ago

All the comments, all the posturing and wailing by politicians of what went wrong and how to fix it. It’s simply amazing when you consider that background checks have never stopped those intent on doing harm BUT, they do hinder, obstruct and put on govt lists millions of innocent Americans. We must do “something”? Okay, abandon background checks, strictly enforce laws against all violent criminal activity. There, fixed it.

Reply to  Vanns40

Yes, abandon background checks as they are now. How about this for a rehash of the system? First, remove the section where ATF want the specifics of the firearm being purchased. NO ONE need know what I am buying but myself. That removes the probability that somehow somewhere in contravention of the laws, some gummit agency is keeping track of who buys what. Not good. Now, for the rest of it… firs,t standardise the NAME under which each record is kept. Use the name exactly as it is on that person’s Social Security Account. Only. No, don’t tie it with… Read more »

Vanns40
Vanns40
Reply to  Tionico

Tionico: Sorry but no to all your ideas that have will have or do keep any records of purchases or purchasers. There should be nothing, nada, zip, zero. It should be no different than if you want to buy a knife or a hammer.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  Tionico

Sorry Tio, the last thing we all need is a publicly searchable database of names and DOB, with father and mothers name of people who purchase guns.

hippybiker
hippybiker
6 months ago

I don’t understand how the supposed quote “loophole” for a hunting license worked? As a Florida resident and firearms owner, I don’t believe hunting with a semiautomatic pistol is allowed. Single shot and revolvers, yes! I know they are not allowed in my former State of IL.
Could someone clarify?

Doszap
Doszap
Reply to  hippybiker

He was hunting American Military.Amazing how stupid the Dems and Military still is.
GUN FREE ZONES are free ticket for bad actors to MURDER at will.
Personally I do do ant nor do I watch any SO called Mass murders anymore due to the stupidity of the traitorous pricks that WILL Not change the laws to STOP them COLD.
But blame the weans not the SHOOTERS.

JDC
JDC
Reply to  hippybiker

@hippybiker I once had a FFL (dealer’s) license and I didn’t remember this exemption. It is there, I looked it up. The law (like many) was poorly written. It basically says that a foreigner who can obtain a hunting license from a state (allegedly for hunting) and buy a firearm. That is strange, as on the background check form, it clearly asks if you’re a citizen or permanent resident (green card holder). This exemption was built in because foreigners come to the US to hunt, and restrictions often prevent them from shipping their firearms into the country. It also promoted… Read more »

throwedoff
throwedoff
Reply to  JDC

In my reading of the statute it specifically states “a rifle or shotgun” can be purchased. There is no mention of handgun purchases.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  hippybiker

@USA – In this case there may be an error in the law. However – please do not fall into the left’s trap of disparaging “loopholes”. Every time you buy a gun or ammo, they consider you to be exploiting a loophole… As I’ve seen elsewhere, Loophole = Freedom. When one refers to loopholes – we are just encouraging ever tightening restrictions on OUR rights. If we want to allow foreigners to come here to hunt, or even get to shoot guns they are not allowed at home – surely we can find a way to support both freedom and… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Finnky

– Most loopholes are just a taste of freedom one can acquire without fighting for it. We all should automatically get the whole meal – but now it is necessary to fight the political fight to retain even the snacks we can legally get. Other options are perhaps more antisocial… but our rights must be retained/regained.

6 months ago

Sometimes I come here and actually keep the page up and refresh it time to time just to see how many down votes I can garner from all the pansies that write comments on here. And I’m not saying ALL of you are pansies, but there sure are enough. Butt kissing state worshiping fruitcakes. Today is one of those days…My record is 8! And I LOVE It because I know it is aggravating some of you. For instance anyone who still believes the BULL CRAP the “government” told us about 9/11 must live in a cave. Anyone who believes that… Read more »

Doszap
Doszap
Reply to  CourageousLion

BINGO, 9-11 was a Joint Venture to get the Patriot Act and the enlistment of a ton of Patriotic Americans to start global sand wars.

Reply to  Doszap

That’s right. No doubt about it!

JPM
JPM
6 months ago

Between 9/11 and the Ft. Hood murders, and many, many more examples, we, as a nation, obviously learned NOTHING about the true nature of anyone who is a Muslim.

Reply to  JPM

9/11??? BBC CENSORS DR ALAN SABROSKY, former US Marine & US Army War College Director who says “It is 100% certain that 9/11 was a Mossad operation” Naaaaa….they wouldn’t ever do something bad to their great ally the US! Well except for the USS Liberty…and many, many more examples. Look for WHO benefited from 9/11 and there you can find the perpetrators.

Reply to  JPM

YEAH! Screw innocent until proven guilty. Just kill them all and let “god” sort it out!

Reply to  CourageousLion

god – He/She/It whatever, knows who I mean.

james
james
6 months ago

Background checks, ‘common sense’ or otherwise are only good at the time of processing. Like your driver license, when you walk out of DMV you drive responsibility or like a maniac.

No law(s) past, present or future can stop a person who wants to ignore the law(s) and kill you.

Reply to  james

Me? Like a maniac. Can’t help it. BMW’s have a mind of their own.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  CourageousLion

@CL – Me, I drive like a little old lady (even though I don’t live in Pasadena). Use cruise control a lot – lead finger takes longer to put me in stupid territory than lead foot does.

Reply to  CourageousLion

Lion, so your Beemer is an Assault Beemer? Kewl. I’ve always wanted a Bavaria, the original stealth 911.

Reply to  Tionico

All automobiles can be assault automobiles if you use them as assault automobiles. I only speed in mine. I haven’t assaulted anyone with it yet. However, if I get caught in traffic while the police are shooting at a UPS truck and one gets behind me to shield himself from a truck jacker, I’m going to back over him. ON PURPOSE.

Reply to  james

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

nrringlee
nrringlee
6 months ago

On September 12, 2001 we failed to learn a few very valuable lessons from the experience. First and foremost our primary lines of defense are our borders and our immigration system. Without effective control of entry and exit we are wide open to attack. secondly, we should have learned that disarming, unlawfully searching and spying upon loyal Americans is a waste of time and resources and further alienates Americans from their own federal government. Third we failed to learn why people from the Islamic world hate us and how to put that hate in terms Americans can both understand and… Read more »

Reply to  nrringlee

Let’s just say, for sake of argument that it really was Muslims that attacked us on that date. You really think they had no REASON? SERIOUSLY? The first thing that had come to my mind was that it was BLOW BACK for being in their countries shooting their men, women and children for the international Banksters and oil cartels! But you really couldn’t understand why they hate us….ROTFLMFGO! Like I said, this site is frequented by imbeciles.

Terry
Terry
6 months ago

Amen to that. Kinda makes you tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

BowserB
BowserB
Reply to  Terry

Our campaign and election system is in need of overhaul, but the Socialist Democrats are going to make us wish we still had our current broken system IF WE DON’T GET OUT AND VOTE for those lesser evils!

Terry
Terry
Reply to  BowserB

Oh, I have no idea of not voting and abhor anyone who doesn’t, but, I do it with a large sigh!

Reply to  Terry

Two reasons I don’t vote: first of all, it’s meaningless. This country was bought and sold and paid for a long time ago. The crap they shuffle around every four years doesn’t mean a #*$&’ thing. And secondly, I don’t vote ’cause I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around. I know, they say, they say: “well if you don’t vote you have no right to complain”. But where’s the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent people, and they get into office and screw everything up,… Read more »

Reply to  CourageousLion

Voting is a mind game started by the Elite to get the common man to “believe” that he actually has a say in the whole messed up process and to “believe” he actually voted for a “representative.” No one has any say and no one has a representative. The only ones they represent are themselves and those that fill their pockets with bribes. And the only CHOICE we get is the CHOICE they give us. If they can convince you that you really had CHOICE between Hitlery and the Orange Fuhrer.well they did their job. Think about it…how many people… Read more »

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  CourageousLion

I can go along with all of that except the Orange Führer. Trump was not in any way the preferred choice of the GOP and the entrenched Rino’s in the party are still shitting twinkies over his arrival on the landscape.Things were proceeding nicely for both sides of the aisle until He showed up. That said I’m definitely one of the many tired of being lied to. My line in the sand these days is action speaks louder than words. I’ll only vote for someone who actually does something for gun rights. To get my vote will require voting for… Read more »

Russn8r
Russn8r
6 months ago

It wasn’t Clinton. The rule was promulgated under GHW Bush, the enemy in our tent.

Will
Will
6 months ago

,right before 911 the US Gov. was teaching the terrorists how to fly airliners. Those Muslim scumbags weren’t interested in learning how to land,just fly and point in whatever direction their ragheads wanted to go. Now we Americans still pay that! Keep that scum off of our military bases and out of our country!

BowserB
BowserB
Reply to  Will

I seem to recall it was private flight schools the terrorists attended, not run by the government. However, I remember reading that in one case a school official attempted to contact the FBI about the suspicious limited interest the “students” had and were brushed off by the agency.

Mack
Mack
6 months ago

David, do you remember how Doug Collins (who ought to be SENATOR) pulled a coup and got HR8 amended?

* https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190301/hr-8-votes-reveal-dem-house-leadership-values-illegal-aliens-over-law-abiding-gun-owners

[SNIP]
Just prior to the vote on H.R. 8, Rep. Doug Collins (R-Ga.) made a motion to recommit the legislation to amend it to include a provision that would require the National Instant Criminal Background Check System to notify U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) if an illegal alien attempts to purchase a firearm. Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(5), it is already a felony for an illegal alien to possess or receive a firearm.

Reply to  Mack

Well, then that “felony” is a violation of natural rights. Sure, I may agree that an “illegal” alien has no rights at all, but surely they have a right to defend themselves from unlawful aggression no matter where they are and no matter what they are labelled. But stupid me…I believe in UNALIENABLE rights for everyone. Not just us special “Americans”.

Buckshot
Buckshot
Reply to  CourageousLion

Then are you for open borders too? Or are you saying freedom of travel isn’t an inalienable right? Or maybe an aliens pursuit of happiness is killing Americans. What about that inalienable right – the pursuit of happiness? Of course those are absurd examples but if one isn’t a citizen or resident alien you don’t have the same rights as either of those.

Reply to  Buckshot

Good grief! The “pursuit of happiness” doesn’t embody murder and other heinous acts. What kind of fool would even begin to use an argument like you just made? How many of US are born to “illegal aliens”. Oh I know, at the time my ancestors came here there was no such thing. Those native Americans didn’t have “illegal alien” laws. And at what time in our history did it become against the “law” to immigrate to America without asking permission? Illegal just makes another freedom lost.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  CourageousLion

@CL – I agree with you regarding unalienable rights. However I also support rights of property owners – if I don’t want you carrying in my home, I tell you – then you choose whether to enter my home unarmed or not to enter my home. An alien can be considered a guest in our country, as such we are allowed to put conditions on the invitation and they are allowed to decline. As for illegal aliens, if I caught a burglar in my home I would probably hold them at gunpoint until police could respond – if they were… Read more »

Reply to  Finnky

but even a guest or visitor in your home/yard is there at YOUR pleasure. Some stranger walking up the road must FIRST turn into my driveway/path gain my attention then ASK: may I enter? I he simply walks on, sets up his tent, starts harvesting my apples, timer, or deer, walks into my house unannounced and without MY permission (I AM the soveriegn here, don’t forget) and begins helping himself to the contents of my larder and safe, then he has NO RIGHT whatever. In face, even the bible declares if he comes in unannounced I can “strike him that… Read more »

Reply to  Finnky

Your home is your home. A country is a made made construct to enslave the people within the borders to a special group of psychopathic control freaks. I quote Thomas Paine, the Founding Father credited with instigating the war of independence with his pamphlet “Common Sense”. You should read it. The WORLD is my Country, MANKIND are my BRETHREN and TO DO GOOD is my religion. ~Thomas Paine.

Reply to  CourageousLion

if a guy is here illegally, that is, did not come through the door as required by law, he has no right to BE HERE, and this no right to anything else. except perhaps to enough breath to get him OUT of here.

Reply to  Tionico

What a crock.

Reply to  CourageousLion

And exactly how many people are killing Americans that aren’t illegal aliens? That argument doesn’t wash. MOST “illegal” aliens are working for substandard wages or doing whatever they can to survive this screwed up world. As long as ANYONE isn’t robbing, raping and murdering, why should you give a crap about where they are from? If there was no government would coming to America be “illegal”? Sure, there wouldn’t be the welfare state that attracts them by the droves, which would also probably keep many from coming in the first place, but what would be illegal about coming and making… Read more »

Reply to  CourageousLion

So all the illegals in Colorado are pulling out thick wads of cash to blah blah blah blah…and you’re talking about Kool aid? Maybe you should quit BATHING in it. And besides that…who should give a flying rats ass how they pay for things!

Reply to  Mack

Colorado’s Constituion, in that regard, is not in accord with the US COnstitutin, which trumps COlorado’s.

Reply to  Tionico

Legal demon weed..OK USA…you’re really showing your true insanity.

Mack
Mack
Reply to  Mack

Have you a cite? I’d like to look.

I know resident aliens can exercise this right. Of course, they are here legally.

Mack
Mack
Reply to  Mack

I was wondering about Colorado’s case law on the subject. “Colorado Constitution protects the right to arms for illegals.”

It would help to see it.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
6 months ago

And what’s stopping him from doing a lot of things David. Let me add, if the military gets their gun free zones cancelled WE THE PEOPLE better get ours cancelled too.

Reply to  Ansel Hazen

There should be no “gun free zones” ANYWHERE. They need to be renamed CRIME SPREE ZONES