Breaking News: An Animal Is Not A Human

Opinion by Larry Keane

Siding With Bronx Zoo, Judge Rules Happy The Elephant Is Not A Person
Siding With Bronx Zoo, Judge Rules Happy The Elephant Is Not A Person

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)-  Back in October, we were amazed to see that a court was taking up the question of whether a Bronx Zoo elephant was being illegally detained because the animal, as an “extraordinarily complex” creature, should have human rights.

Today we are happy to report that “Happy,” the Asian elephant, remains an elephant. Bronx Supreme Court Judge Alison Tuitt dismissed the lawsuit brought against the Bronx Zoo by the extremist group the Nonhuman Rights Project. This is the fifth time the group has lost a fight to claim legal personhood for animals. They seem undeterred by their past failures so an appeal would seem likely, as do future lawsuits.

Original Conservationists

While this is an absurd story, men and women in the hunting community should keep an eye on these – seemingly ridiculous – claims, as they could set a dangerous precedent for hunting. These groups are all too eager to ignore the benefits that hunting yields in terms of science-backed wildlife population management and industry-funded conservation efforts. Every time a hunter or sports shooter purchases a firearm or ammunition, a percentage is dedicated to wildlife conservation efforts nationwide through the Pittman-Robertson Act. Conserving these habitats and species is the ultimate animal rights effort. North American wildlife is at the healthiest levels ever, because of the efforts of hunter-conservationists.

Promote, Protect, Preserve

NSSF is working to make sure these extremist views don’t sneak into our communities and that the tradition of hunting is preserved for future generations.  That’s why we have worked to ensure hunting as a constitutional right in 23 states, mostly through the ballot box where the majority of voters have a say, not small fringe groups. The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation works, and the firearms and ammunition industry supports the sportsman-funded work to sustain and provide public access to resources, all without the bizarre argument that the animals have human rights.

National Shooting Sports FoundationAbout The National Shooting Sports Foundation

The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 10,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's organizations and publishers. www.nssf.org

Circle8
7 months ago

Of course the Judge was right but should have fined the group for filing a frivolous law suit and clogging up the courts with such actions. Then maybe these A-holes would stop this crap. Partial kudos to the Judge.

MICHAEL J
MICHAEL J
7 months ago

When animals start paying taxes then I will listen. My wife says pets are like socialists, they get everything provided to them, give very little in return, piss/crap all over the place and then have to be cleaned up afterwards. They get free food, medical and can’t be left alone. Kinda like family members.

OneEyeOpen
OneEyeOpen
Reply to  MICHAEL J

My animals give me more in return, than many humans do. There honest about their unconditional love. Taxes are paid by them, through me, when buying their food, care products, licensing fees and many vet’s, would be no more, without the care we give our small friends. For the last 30+ years my wife and I, have taken in and cared for our animals, that were discarded and tossed out like garbage. Humans have become a throw-away society. with their animals and even some of their children. Seems plastic is more of a concern than children or living animals. When… Read more »

willyd
willyd
Reply to  OneEyeOpen

O E O: So true on our pets, it is true that our pets give us more in return in return than any human would, my wife used to say she would rather have a dozen pets than trust any human, as a human can turn on you for one word, where a pet always doesn’t like to see you leave, and always is there to greet you when you return, with no question as to what took you so long, why did you stop there, why didn’t you call, just I’m glad your home!!!!! My wife has passed on… Read more »

Country Boy
Country Boy
Reply to  OneEyeOpen

I too, have always had a deep respect and admiration for my pets. I happen to prefer ABPTs. I do not condone anyone who,beats, mistreats or abuses their dog, or other pet. or any other animal for that matter. People who do those things are sick and should be dealt with IMO. Hunting is a different thing though.

Tman72
Tman72
7 months ago

An elephant is NOT a human it is an elephant so it does NOT belong in a shitty city (Bronx) with shitty people.
It should at minimum be in an elephant sanctuary with other ELEPHANTS!!!
Hell I’m a human and I don’t even want to be in the Bronx!!

Circle8
Reply to  Tman72

Just FYI the Bronx zoo is reportedly a well run zoo and the animals are cared for very well, space, food and medical care. I do not live in the city or state but have heard from various people about the place. Some animals, e.g. recovering from injuries that would prevent them returning to the wild, orphaned etc do very well in controlled environments. It is not ideal but with democrats in control of NY it is better than the alternative.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Circle8

@Cir, Yes, Animals cared for by man live much longer than animals in nature, not cared for by man.

Country Boy
Country Boy
Reply to  Tman72

100% Agree. Wild animals should be left in the wild. Why I don’t like zoos.

StWayne
StWayne
7 months ago

Animal activists have for a long time now been trying to get just one judge to rule that animals have the same right to quality of life that humans do. Should they be able to trick this judge, whoever he or she may be at the time, and there have been some very close calls, that this ruling then gives them the right to ban pet ownership, which has always been their goal.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  StWayne

@StWayne – Bit tougher to hide a dog in the city than an AR. Oh well… second would just have to protect the first.
Again.

Levelhead
Levelhead
7 months ago

It never occurred to me to think that an elephant should have the same rights as a person. But think about this. The Supreme Court has ruled that a corporation can have the same rights as a person. Think about it this way. What would you rather have snuggle up with you watching TV, a pussy cat or a corporation? Or which would you rather have watching your six, a pit bull or a corporation? An animal can have a personality, but I never met a corporation that would place my interests above its own. I’ll take an animal over… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Levelhead

A corporation is a legal entity comprised of people. Like any group of people they will look out for their own best interests first, generally guided by their morals as well. Could easily see incorporating neighborhood watch or even a preper group, for at least three reasons: taxes, insurance, and written bylaws for organization – insuring everyone is on same page. From neighbor watch group, incorporation would help gain credibility with police and within the neighborhood. So I would like a corporation watching my back If that is it’s purpose – good back up for my snuggly bears. Also for… Read more »

OneEyeOpen
OneEyeOpen
Reply to  Finnky

Corporation may be a legal entity and comprised of people, but ruled by an elite few with only one interest in mind and it’s not your well being. Many corporation pay few taxes if any at all. You didn’t have to go there about cats. There animals too. Rather have my cat snuggling up to me knowing he’s not going to lick me after cleaning his behind.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  OneEyeOpen

@OneEyrOpen – LOL. Done OK at training my dogs not to lick me, never going to get them to not lick themselves. Cats on the other hand – same problem and I’m not good at training them. Many small businesses are small corporations. There is even a special set o& rules for setting up an S-Corp, I;which “s” stands for small. Often there are tax and legal benefits of incorporating a small business, even if it’s just one person. I think you are thinking of mega corporations when you refer to “corporations”, in that you would be right. Refer to… Read more »

JPM
JPM
7 months ago

I am amazed to hear “animal rights” idiots comment on what they would do to someone (a human being) who abuses an animal, or even accidentally injures an animal (torture, maim, murder the human). Most of the PETA and other animal twits have no problem with abortion or even capital punishment of a human, and will routinely place an animal’s welfare above that of a child. If little “Fifi” is accidentally run over because his owner left the gate open they are more than willing to have the driver arrested, sued, jailed or even assaulted and consider the driver a… Read more »

Vern
Vern
7 months ago

Evolutionists like to believe man came from monkeys, there is nothing farther from the truth. There are more than 3 million genes difference between man and monkeys, so there is not even a tiny bit of closeness between us.

cav2108
cav2108
Reply to  Vern

Vern, I get your point, but there are only 30 thousand genes in the human body. Three million different genes would need to be carried in some sort of suitcase or large backpack.

Vern
Vern
Reply to  cav2108

That backpack is called DNA.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  cav2108

@cav – Additionally over 97% match with gorillas.
Interesting that what makes us weak is what makes us strong. Humans are entirely incapable of having bite strength comparable to any other predator because our skulls are too soft in childhood and remain weak for life. Were our skulls stiffer or thicker, our brains could not grow in size as they do. Seems to me that brains and opposable thumbs allowed us to become the preeminent super predators of the earth.

Vern
Vern
Reply to  cav2108

DNA defeats evolution.

OneEyeOpen
OneEyeOpen
Reply to  Vern

Where did the missing link go? We were hunter gatherers and all of a sudden we went into overdrive and poof. Almost the same growth as airplanes. In the blink of an eye, we went from conception, to going faster than the speed of sound. Mind boggling at times. If we don’t start to really use our brains, we were given, the planet will not be able to sustain the rate of growth, with which humans are copulating at. Glad my time will come, before I see anything as nasty, as what is to come, and we think our problems… Read more »

Vern
Vern
Reply to  OneEyeOpen

There is no missing link, that’s why it can’t be found. If we had to rely on evolution, the first living cell could not have survived.

Knute
Knute
7 months ago

Agree! Man IS an animal, however!
We are a subset of them, NOT the other way around. In much the same way as a shotgun is a firearm, but not all firearms are shotguns.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  Knute

We may be a subset but humans are the GE M134 version of the firearms world.