BREAKING: California Suspends Ammunition Background Checks

NRA SAF And Other Gun Groups Sue CA
The NRA-ILA reports that it has successfully suspended CA's recent rulings requiring background checks for purchasing ammunition.

U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- The NRA-ILA is reporting that California residents may resume purchasing, and buying ammunition online without unconstitutional background checks. The NRA-ILA released a statement last late last night following an injunction by a Federal judge in the Rhode v. Becerra case. See full details from the release below.

A major victory was secured on Thursday when a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction in the NRA-supported case, Rhode v. Becerra. The case challenges the constitutionality of a California law that puts draconian restrictions on ammunition acquisition and transfers as a result of Prop 63 and SB 1235 (2016).

As the court said, ‘The right to keep and bear arms is the insurance policy behind the right to life … a shield from the tyranny of the majority.' California wasn’t just obstructing the people’s fundamental right to defend their families and lives—it was encouraging unlawful hostility toward an individual, Constitutional right,” said Jason Ouimet, executive director, National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action. “The NRA funded this case for the same reason the court struck down the laws: enough was enough.”

The law required law-abiding citizens to undergo background checks when purchasing ammunition and for all transactions to occur in-person through a licensed ammunition vendor.

Thursday's injunction means the law cannot be enforced while the case is active unless the decision is stayed.

National Rifle Association Institute For Legislative Action (NRA-ILA)

About:

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the “lobbying” arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Visit: www.nra.org

joefoam
joefoam
7 months ago

Nice try trying top jump on the case NRA. Too bad it got kicked up to the 9th and it was all for naught.

Ryben Flynn
Ryben Flynn
7 months ago

And the State AG went over Judge Benitez to the 9th. Circus and they issued an emergency stay, overruling him this morning, the 25th.

buzzsaw
buzzsaw
Reply to  Ryben Flynn

And the beat goes on…

Wash, rinse, repeat. But unlike hair, the law never seems to come clean.

I don’t see how the gun laws in certain places, and we all know which ones I’m referring to, are any different from the Jim Crow South. Well, I do see one difference. These laws oppress everyone there. Equality before the law is one of our great principles, but when did equality of oppression become acceptable?

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  buzzsaw

, When? Thousands of years ago, and continues even through the era of our republic an on into the present day. The corrupt parties and their influence see government as one of their tools. The parties have corrupted our Constitutional system since the very beginning.
Benedict Arnold sold out his country because other less capable and note worthy officers in the Continental Army were promoted, through corruption, above him. Congress said that they wanted to keep the number of promotions equal among the states. But the truth was party politics.

Relic
Relic
7 months ago

As usual the self serving NRA are trying to take credit for overturning the tyranny that they have been responsible for to begin with & that they in fact had nothing to do with overturning. It has been the FPC & GOA (& others besides NRA)that have been the ones actually overturning tyranny. The NRA LITERALLY opposes lawsuits in motions against unconstitutional laws but puts in motions just in case that say if the suit is successful then they want to join in as plaintiffs in support of repealing said law. In other words the NRA are actually the main… Read more »

Charlie Foxtrot
Charlie Foxtrot
Reply to  Relic

Thank you for pointing that out!

BobD
BobD
Reply to  Relic

They’re actually located in Virginia.

RetUSAF
RetUSAF
Reply to  BobD

NRA hq is 20 miles from DC.

Clamper24
Clamper24
Reply to  Relic

I noticed that no other group has posted what they did to help or do for this. Guess they just want to stay hidden, and the NRA wants to let people know what the hell is going on.

Charlie Foxtrot
Charlie Foxtrot
Reply to  Clamper24

The NRA is very quick in taking advantage of the successes by others. After all, the NRA is nothing but a fundraising campaign. The NRA reaches out to the lazy masses that are not involved in the fight and are clueless. That’s how the NRA managed to survive so long. Here is the actual case history of Rhode v. Becerra, if you are actually interested: https://michellawyers.com/rhode-v-becerra/

Clamper24
Clamper24
7 months ago

Thanks for the link. I’ve started reading it.

Charlie Foxtrot
Charlie Foxtrot
7 months ago

Rep. Thomas Massie is in the House. Who has the majority in the House again? Are you taking not of that?

Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy
7 months ago

All form or type of gun control laws are repugnant to the Constitution,thus un Constitutional,next tyrannical state.

Doszap
Doszap
7 months ago

ALL GCA LAWS are Unconstitutional, all records keeping laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL, our GENERATION before US allowed this crap to start.Joseph McCarthy was demonized turns out HE WAS DEAD ON. PEOPLE no matter how little $$$$$$$ they have need to AT least join the best 2A groups all they can, so we can continue to fight this. I am DEAD certain we are going to have a REVOLUTION before this is resolved one way or the other.The Foxes are living in the hen house and we have ALL but LOST THE REPUBLIC. If this Covid 19 crap keeps up, I would… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
7 months ago

Article says that following this ruling, residents are able to purchase ammo without a background check. However it is mute on impact on nonresidents. Under law as it was written, nonresidents are strictly disarmed if they are visit California for whatever reason. Law said it is illegal to import even a single round of ammunition and that nonresidents could not purchase within the state. Does the ruling change either of those? Seems like one could now legally dump carry ammo at closes rest stop before entering CA, then purchase and reload at first retailer inside the state. Not that I’d… Read more »

Doszap
Doszap
Reply to  Finnky

Why would any sane person want to go to Californicatia?.The Western Russia.

buzzsaw
buzzsaw
Reply to  Doszap

Please don’t give Russia a bad name.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Finnky

@USA – Thanks. That last paragraph in your post certainly is welcome – and totally unsurprising from Benitez, as he is a judge with actual uncommon sense. As for why I’d go to California, I am responsible for managing my mother’s home for the rest of her life. Quite hopeful that California’s economy does not tank as that house represents the majority of her estate and exceeds my families net worth including our home and retirement accounts. Lesser property of unknown value saved in a bank safety deposit box – which I will either collect or have shipped by the… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Finnky

@USA – Nice idea!!! House belongs to my mother not I. When she passes will be able to sell and hope it retains value to that point. After debt and taxes, remaining proceeds will be split equally among us “kids”, so no 6000 sqr ft home by that point. Besides HVAC that much space gets expensive and vacuuming becomes a chore. Rather spend time reloading 🙂 Wife would love to live somewhere away from city, especially Colorado. Nice thing about pandemic is move to remote work. If I don’t have to be physically present in office – no reason to… Read more »

Knute
Knute
Reply to  Finnky

USA) That’s how it is in Montana.
My 15 acres and 20 cattle are worth less than a 1/2 million in total. If I sold everything and wanted to move into the cesspit that is frisco bay, (let’s just assume I had my brain surgically removed… 🙂 ), I couldn’t even afford a hovel! Not even this one!

Knute
Knute
Reply to  Finnky

USA) And, yes, I do shoot out the windows. In fact, I’ve shot right through my own screens before! Damn feral cats. The 20 bucks it cost to replace the screen was the best 20 bucks I ever spent. I tried to get them many times before that, but cats are the toughest critters to hunt that I’ve seen, and I’ve hunted most everything. Small, fast, hard to hit, and really wary. They make whitetails seem as gophers by comparison. Shooting through the screen gets ’em though! They never even know what hit them. You have to be totally imperceptible,… Read more »

Charlie Foxtrot
Charlie Foxtrot
Reply to  Finnky

Moot, not mute! Also, non-residents are not allowed to carry a firearm in CA anyway! You would be carrying illegally!

As for the judge’s decision, it was a preliminary injunction in a case challenging a specific law. Judges can not rule on laws that are not part of the case!

Finnky
Finnky
7 months ago

@CF – I first thanked you for the grammatical correction, however mute means silent. In this case the ruling was mute (silent) with regard to impact on nonresidents. It is moot as ruling was on other topics – so really either word works. No CCW, but it is legal to have unloaded firearm locked in the trunk. Believe it is legal to be armed within domicile or on personal property as well, though I’m not certain. Definitely legal to be armed to the border and rearm on the way out – which is not really satisfactory, but can cross the… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Finnky

Have since read a large portion of Benitez’s ruling. He clearly struck down the no-importation part of the law as well. While I only made it about half way through the ruling before beginning to simply skim – it makes an interesting and educational read. The more of his rulings I read, the more I think of him as a hero – for simply doing his job of supporting the plain text of the constitution and applying (what should be common) sense.