6mm ARC Ammunition is Breaking the Rules, but What is it? ~ VIDEOS

Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, Ammoland will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.

Editor’s Note: For those readers who were asking for more info on 6mm ARC.

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- Throw Out the Old Rules! Until now, true long-range shooting from the AR platform has largely been reserved to larger “AR-308” rifles. Those old rules go out the window with the 6mm ARC from Hornady – a cartridge that delivers an 800 to 1,000-yard effective range from a standard AR-15 platform.

What is 6mm ARC Ammunition?

Hornady 6mm ARC Ammo Ammunition
Hornady 6mm ARC Ammo Ammunition

The 6mm ARC cartridge is based on the 6.5 Grendel case necked down for 6mm bullets. Good News! If you already have a rifle chambered in 6.5 Grendel, the ONLY thing you need to change is the barrel. Everything else – bolt, magazines, gas system – is compatible with 6mm ARC.

Other pluses:

• 6mm ARC fits standard AR-15 rifles & Short/Mini action bolt rifles.
  • Built-in 30-degree case shoulder for reliable feeding.
  • Short, squat case profile similar to the 6mm PPC, one of the most accurate bench rest cartridges ever.
  • SAAMI spec cartridge, so NOT a fly-by-night Wildcat!

Aero Precision Complete Uppers

• 100-040-979     Complete Upper, 6mm ARC, 16″ stainless barrel. $749.00 retail
  • 100-040-980     Complete Upper, 6mm ARC, 18″ stainless barrel. $759.99 retail
  • 100-040-981     Complete Upper, 6mm ARC, 18″ black barrel. $769.99 retail
  • 100-040-982     Complete Upper, 6mm ARC, 20″ stainless barrel. $769.99 retail
  • 100-040-983     Complete Upper, 6mm ARC, 24″ stainless barrel. $799.99 retail

Read more here and find the parts you need to shoot 6mm ARC in your existing AR15 rifle.

Brownells : http://goo.gl/cJ1FMMAbout Brownells

Serious About Firearms Since 1939, Brownells is the world’s leading source for guns, gun parts and accessories, ammunition, gunsmithing tools, and survival gear. With a large selection of both common and hard-to-find items, and an extensive collection of videos, articles, and gun schematics, Brownells is the expert for everything shooting-related. Committed to maintaining our great traditions, Brownells has more, does more, and knows more – and guarantees it all, Forever. For more information or to place an order, call 800-741-0015 or visit Brownells.com.

Brownells.com Coupon Codes

FREE 2-DAY SHIPPING on all orders with Membership
No Code - The Edge Program
Expiration Date Unknown

Deplorable Bill
Deplorable Bill
10 months ago

A good 6.5 grendel works just fine, ammo is cheaper and available and I don’t have to mortgage my house to buy something else. Right now, with everything going on, I would rather invest in ammo, more than another upper, more than gold. If things go sideways, and I have to believe they shall, I want a proven tool, reliable and accurate.

Arm up and carry on

Phillyed01
Phillyed01
11 months ago

Think I will just keep my Grendel…people always chasing this latest and greatest crap…

donfranko
donfranko
1 year ago

Waiting for military to switch out to 6.8’s, and THATS what I’m adding. Once it becomes military standard issue, ammo will become plentiful and cheap. Better to carry rifle that shoots a common round than a specialty round. In a pinch you want ammo that is easy to find.

Oldman
Oldman
1 year ago
Reply to  donfranko

Uh huh, like you will find ANY military ammo for sale anywhere near REAL value in the next 36 months.

Dogma Factor
Dogma Factor
1 year ago

Just another big push advertising and media push of something new! Just like the 224 Valkyrie a couple of years ago, where’s that cartridge now? 224 Valkyrie barrels are now sitting unwanted in the bargain basement clearance sales. I’ll let the brave and daring waste their money first on the latest eye candy being pushed by advertorials. Just a parting thought, where have all men gone? All this new and latest crap is being push on the premise of less weight, less recoil, reduced loads, lighter bullets and smaller calibers. Yes more and more women are getting involved in the… Read more »

OlHickory
OlHickory
1 year ago
Reply to  Dogma Factor

I mean, other than the fact that less recoil helps keep you on target better than not, smaller/lighter bullets allow for higher velocities and theoretically better armor penetration with similar amounts of powder, and less weight allows for the ability to carry more ammunition or even other equipment without degrading your physical performance, I don’t know where all the men went in shooting.

Last edited 1 year ago by OlHickory
Matt in Oklahoma
Matt in Oklahoma
11 months ago
Reply to  OlHickory

“Theoretically” ask yourself why it’s just theory at this point in the game and not tested and proofed. It’s hogwash
This cartridge wasn’t vetted for hunting, killing or armor penetration before releasing. It was just thrown out to the military for money.

OlHickory
OlHickory
11 months ago

I say theoretically because I, personally, don’t know whether or not it has been tested. There’s still a good chance you’re correct though, I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility.

Also considering the comment I was replying to was talking about, “.45 won 3 world wars,” needed a response as to why companies and military’s would adopt or look at different ideas and their benefits against the status quo.

Last edited 11 months ago by OlHickory
Rock
Rock
11 months ago
Reply to  Dogma Factor

I built a .224 Valkyrie, FANTASTIC shooting rifle ! Billet upper, Wilson Combat Super Sniper heavy fluted barrel, drop in 3.0 lb trigger, Magpul PRS stock, etc. Extremely accurate and reaches way out. Awesome gun/caliber to shoot, yeah I really like the Valkyrie. Guess I was “brave an daring”, and ended up with a truly fantastic weapon.

Vern
Vern
11 months ago
Reply to  Rock

Everything I have seen with it is just a money sink for brass. The most one of the guys I know who jumped on it when it came out gets is three loads and the brass is trash. Most brass he has tried didn’t last more than two loadings.

Boris Badenov
Boris Badenov
1 year ago

Nice little blurb, but….where is the data? Ok it keeps supersonic out to 1,000 yards. I’m not seeing anything but bullet weight of 103, 105 and 108 gr. and the speed, beyond that nada. Or did I miss something.

Wikipedia to the rescue,

6.80 g (105 gr) BTHP BLACK 838.2 m/s (2,750 ft/s)2,388 J (1,761 ft⋅lbf) 24″ barrel

Larger-sized AR-10 performance cartridges such as 6XC6×47mm Lapua6.5×47mm Lapua6mm Creedmoor and 6.5mm Creedmoor have better long range performance compared to the 6mm ARC, but have more recoil, as well as overall lengths that make them unable to fit in an AR-15 sized magazine well.

Last edited 1 year ago by Boris Badenov
Vern
Vern
11 months ago
Reply to  Boris Badenov

I can match that 2,750 fps with a 110 grain bullet in my 6.5 Grendel, I am getting 2540 fps with 129 grain also. I am still on target at 700 yards with the 129 as well. What does your 6.8 do with a heavy bullet at that range?

StLPro2A
StLPro2A
1 year ago

Uh…is that a LAW in his safe????

HoundDogDave
HoundDogDave
1 year ago

Intrigued, but I’ll give it a year and some real world data and review. But this may, if t holds up to the hype, be the reason I finally break down and acquire a AR15 platform rifle (and maybe a new Bergara HMR)

OlHickory
OlHickory
1 year ago
Reply to  HoundDogDave

If you haven’t bought an AR of any sort all ready considering what is already out their to look at, I don’t think this will convince you to do so.

Bill
Bill
1 year ago

How does it compare with the new service standard the 6.8 enhanced Ammo?