Vermont: Gun Bills Introduced as Legislature Begins Work Remotely

NRA-ILA Vermont Flag Bricks
Vermont introduces several new gun bills to committee. IMG NRA-ILA

U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- While the Capitol in Montpelier is atypically quiet for January, the COVID situation has not prevented the Legislature from moving forward with their business.  Session is underway remotely.  Instead of meeting in cramped rooms under the dome, lawmakers are logging in to video conferences to discuss bills.  And although leadership had indicated weeks ago that the session would be confined to COVID-related business, there is some indication that there could be a deviation from that plan.

As a result, we have been closely monitoring all Statehouse activity for potential threats to the Second Amendment.  Vermont NRA members should be aware that a handful of gun bills have already been introduced.

S. 31 by Sen. Alison Clarkson would do several things.  In addition to creating a 72-hour waiting period, it would create a mandatory storage provision, allow family members to initiate “red flag” protection orders, and prohibit “large-capacity” ammunition magazines from being manufactured in Vermont.  This bill has been assigned to committee, however, no action has been scheduled.

S. 4 by Sen. Phil Baruth would create a 48-hour waiting period on firearm transfers.  Similar legislation was introduced in the previous session, but it failed to pass.  Like S.31, this bill has been assigned to the committee, but no hearing has been scheduled.

On Wednesday, the Senate Judiciary Committee began preliminary committee work via Zoom on another bill by Sen. Baruth, S.30.  This week’s online meeting included a “walk-thru” from legislative staff and testimony from several statewide elected officials.  This legislation would prohibit firearms at daycare facilities, hospitals, and publicly owned buildings.  Several questions and concerns were raised by committee members.  The committee will resume discussing the bill next week, and it is expected that these hearings will continue to occur over the coming weeks.

Please follow NRA-ILA alerts, as we will continue to keep members informed of any public hearing notices and votes as they are scheduled.

About NRA-ILA:

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the “lobbying” arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess, and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Visit: www.nra.org

National Rifle Association Institute For Legislative Action (NRA-ILA)

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
8 months ago

Hi there, just posting again to kick you off of the main board and again we don’t care that you are making money or providing a link for us to click on that is unprotected.

Last edited 8 months ago by musicman44mag
Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy

What makes Vermont safe

It most certainly isn’t the Marxist totalitarians under the golden dome upon Mt. Stupid,that are directly responsible for these infringements.

Winchester1873
Winchester1873
8 months ago

Liberal women are a serious danger to our Second Amendment rights.

PMinFl
PMinFl
8 months ago

Ah Vermont, I remember when it was a free state.

Jonesy
Jonesy
8 months ago

Ammoland, who the hell in your group of rinos is allowing this garbage?

Reply to  Jonesy

Jonesy,

The info in the article is about bills that are coming up. If you have a problem with the source of the information, the problem isn’t the information, or even the source.
One thing the Left is known for is only accepting information from their own sources, in other words , what they want to hear. If you are refusing information and calling names based on who gives you the info you need to take a long look in the mirror.

Will,

I post everything he sends me, usually legal clarifications to comments he sees. I don’t think that anything is wrong, i suspect that he’s just busy and possibly trying to simplify his life. Given what’s going on in DC, we could all use some clarity and calm, we’ll need it.

8 months ago

UPDATE Will, WB is copying the mail. I just got this from him. Dear Dave,  To all at Ammoland, I read all of their comments but can not respond due to my very old computer. I could have replaced it but got caught up in the long distance shooting craze. So I put the computer fund money into a Christianson 6.5 PRC and a 1200 yard range that my immediate neighbor and I cooked up. Christmas was particularly depressing for the community so my wife and I worked particularly hard to cheer up the community. Christmas cards, local charitable donations,… Read more »

8 months ago

Is there any way you could ask him about his too old to race horse with the infected foot? I’d like to know how that worked out for him. When he went silent it was slightly better, but not yet out of the woods.

Reply to  Knute

Knute,
I asked him about that a while back and he skipped over answering. I figure that if he’d wanted to talk about it he would’ve. I try not to push.

8 months ago

In good news… B.T. is back, at least in Montana and Washington State!
In addition to my local liqueur store, my sister in Spokane picked me up a few bottles, so now I have a stock. Who knows for how long, because now it’s her favorite tipple also.

Reply to  Knute

Knute,

NUTS! I knew I shouldn’t a mentioned it. Now there’s less for me. Enjoy it and stock up when you can, don’t tell her where your stash is. You don’t live THAT far from her.

Last edited 8 months ago by Dave in Fairfax
8 months ago

It’s only 600 miles. In Montana, that’s a weekend drive!

Reply to  Knute

Knute,
That’s my point, your stash isn’t safe. Next time you go hunting a raid could happen. %-)

8 months ago

I have things all split up in different caches. My Dad used to say: “Don’t keep all of your eggs in one basket”. It’s worked out well for me. I’ve survived both floods and fires, and so has my sister in Spokane. But she lost most everything in the Spokane wildfires back in the ’90s.
But I recovered quicker. IMO, distributed is better…

Reply to  Knute

I did hear one more from him after the vet. The vet had put a poultice on and was hoping for the best. A Farrier was due out at the end of that week to check on the hoof and change the poultice, and that was the last I heard.
As Dave said, if he doesn’t want to speak of it, it probably means bad news that he wants to forget. Best not to push.

Reply to  Knute

Knute,
LATE BREAKING NEWS
Dave,
Both horses are fine, and the Vet asked me to adopt another mare that needed a good home. I call her Lady Jane. A small skinny runt looking dog also made it to my house, just after Christmas. He needed vet care, all his shots, and neutering. He has gained ten lbs. I call him Noodles.
WB

8 months ago

Great to hear that Old Harold is still around! You know us cowboys and horses. My cousin kept Ginger, her favorite horse, alive to be 46 years old. She had to grind all of her feed for a dozen years. Boy, that was one old horse.
I guess the love of horses goes for cowgirls, also. 🙂

Reply to  Knute

Knute,

Yup it’s good news alright. I figured the same as you did. It’s good to be wrong.

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
8 months ago

Sounds like an honorable man.

Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy

My fear also.

Ryben Flynn
Ryben Flynn
8 months ago

Spammer reported several times.

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
8 months ago

Yoo know, you can loose wait and get a better looking body, to bad you cant fix your face so we can stop using the paper bag or in your case they should switch to plastic.

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
8 months ago

I am getting really pissed with our governments and their use of platforms. My God, it’s the government, they don’t steal enough money that they cant provide a platform for us to see the debates on we have to use fakebook and Zoom. Everyone knows zoom has more holes in it than swiss cheese when it comes to getting viruses and if you were kicked off fakebook because you are a republican then how are you supposed to watch the legislators lie in action? The brown clown of oregone uses fakebook all the time and sends out messages to her… Read more »