North Carolina: Committee Advances Worshipper Protection Bill

Business Woman Concealed Carry
North Carolina may pass a bill to help protect worshipers from gunmen. IMG NRA-ILA

U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- February 23rd, the Senate Committee on Judiciary issued a favorable report for Senate Bill 43, to expand the ability of citizens to defend themselves and their loved ones while attending religious worship. They referred the bill to the Committee on Rules and Operations of the Senate for further consideration.

Senate Bill 43 allows law-abiding citizens who hold a concealed handgun permit to carry a handgun to defend themselves and their loved ones when attending religious worship taking place on private property that is both a school and place of worship, if it does not prohibit firearms. This empowers private property owners to set their own security policy rather than the state imposing a one-size-fits-all solution. In 2019, an armed citizen defended his church against an individual in Texas. This worshiper, Jack Wilson, was able to take action because of similar, NRA-backed legislation in Texas.

Last year, a similar bill, the Second Amendment Preservation Act, passed both chambers with bipartisan majorities after stalling the year before. It moved through the legislative process quickly last year because of strong leadership demonstrated in both chambers. Unfortunately, Governor Roy Cooper chose to veto this critical bill and the General Assembly was unable to override it.

NRA would like to recognize the North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association for their continued hard work on this legislation. Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org and your email inbox for further updates.

About NRA-ILA:

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the “lobbying” arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess, and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Visit: www.nra.org

National Rifle Association Institute For Legislative Action (NRA-ILA)

1 month ago

I can’t believe that in America’s quest to become civilized and remain protected at the same time that we would need a bill or ruling or law that says we can carry arms in church. Do you think the Knights Templar checked their swords in at the door while attending church?

It amazes me how after all these forward thinking generations, we have become so backward.

Get Out
Get Out
1 month ago

It’s sad that people have to worry a hateful person will attack them while attending church. What’s saddest of all, you have people who think they can give you permission to carry anywhere.
Concealed is just that, concealed until needed.

J Gibbons
J Gibbons
Reply to  Get Out

Concealed is concealed until needed. Unfortunately, there may be a costly legal and financial penalty after it is “needed.” We should not have to risk prison and six or seven figure fines/lawsuits to defend from a crazed killer looking for easy victims on their knees in prayer.

Gindy
Gindy
Reply to  J Gibbons

Yes…..but I’d rather not be slaughtered while worshiping! I think I’ll reserve that decision to make on my own. I agree with you that we shouldn’t have to risk prison or money to defend ourselves but apparently politicians think otherwise. My position is “concealed is concealed until needed”.

1 month ago

We had the same bill pass a few years ago.

Then the leadership of the church I attended decided the only people who could carry were people who issued speeding tickets in 1973 and people who fired off a couple rounds at muzzle flashes one night in Vietnam in 1972.

Their church, their rules.

Reply to  JSNMGC

If I disagreed I would not attend. I have been part of a couple of churches in my day and when they showed their backwards way I argued and left because they did not like me after I expressed an opposite opinion. I don’t like abortion but in the case of incest, rape and a child that will be deformed and not be able to live a somewhat comfortable life, I am in agreement with abortion. I especially didn’t like how they viewed and treated women. So sorry I was ever a Lutheran but I had no control of where… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by musicman44mag

“attended” – past tense.

There are some things “conservatives” believe and there is no amount of evidence that will convince them otherwise, among them:

• Government employees are the only ones professional enough to carry firearms;
  • The middle class pays the majority of taxes;
  • “Something” is going on with ammo availability/pricing and that something is not the dynamics of supply and demand;
  • It would be a good idea to have the government impose price controls on ammo;
  • Almost all farmers are “conservative;” and
  • 99.9% of LEOs are good and they shouldn’t be criticized for just following orders to enforce totalitarian laws.
Last edited 1 month ago by JSNMGC
Reply to  JSNMGC

Well, I don’t fit in that boat at all. The only one I agree with is that the middle class pays the majority of taxes but that may no longer be the case because I figured out I am really lower class because I don’t have tax shelters, investments in wall street or stocks and bonds. I worked my butt off to try and build an empire and payed taxes, lots of taxes like a good little boy only to have my government screw me in 2008. That is one of the reasons I am not to happy with republicans… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

The wealthy pay more dollars.

The wealthy pay a higher percent.

I have no idea how you came to your conclusions, but you are wrong.

Reply to  musicman44mag

The federal tax structure is progressive (punitive). Not only that, but tax deductions are phased out as you earn more.

Also, if you earn more, your kids’ college tuition is more expensive.

If you earn more, you most likely pay more in property taxes.

Last edited 1 month ago by JSNMGC
Reply to  JSNMGC

I don’t know where you live but where I come from the rich have things called tax shelters and businesses they can bury private expenditures in. I can only fathom them paying more on house tax because they live in a home that is above the median average so naturally it would cost more because it is all based on a percentage of the value and their value is more. As far as college tuition goes I wouldn’t know but what I do know is that I had two homes and paid taxes to three different school districts at the… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

You believed Biden: “it’s about time the wealthy pay their fair share.” There are a lot of people you probably deem “wealthy” who make $300K to $900K a year as corporate executives. They don’t have tax shelters. They don’t have their own businesses. Their wages are all W-2 and they are able to take very few tax deductions. They pay $50K a year for their kid’s college tuition and the person sitting next to their kid in class pays nothing. There is a big difference between the people I described and people like Warren Buffet. Look at the data I… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by JSNMGC
Knute
Knute
Reply to  JSNMGC

“who make $300K to $900K a year as corporate executives.” That is why such people are typically paid in “stock options”. They only make a small amount that is on a w-2 form, while the bulk of their compensation is paid as a discount on purchasing company stock. They get to deduct the amount paid to buy the stocks, and then when the stock is sold they pay capital gains instead of income tax. This explains why these people are always talking about the “capitol gains” rate, and could pretty much care less about the tax rate. That is for… Read more »

Reply to  Knute

Knute – 2/25/21:   “’who make $300K to $900K a year as corporate executives.’ That is why such people are typically paid in “stock options”. They only make a small amount that is on a w-2 form, while the bulk of their compensation is paid as a discount on purchasing company stock. They get to deduct the amount paid to buy the stocks, and then when the stock is sold they pay capital gains instead of income tax. This explains why these people are always talking about the “capitol gains” rate, and could pretty much care less about the tax… Read more »

Reply to  JSNMGC

I went to the link you provided and read it after my comment below and saw what President Trump must have enacted this with his tax plan because all my life people making over 250 thou a year paid less of a percentage so at this time you are right. I am sure the oliden tax plan will make what I am saying come true again..

I tried to edit the comment below to say that but it would not let me. So now insert the remainder below this comment.

Reply to  musicman44mag

The US has had a progressive (punitive) tax structure for many decades. You are incorrect with your statement about people making over $250K paying a lower percentage throughout your life.

The top 10% of earners have paid the majority of taxes for many decades.

Trump decreased the marginal tax rate for the top bracket (exactly the opposite of what you just described).

Reply to  musicman44mag

The majority of people born prior to 1950 were even more socialistic than today:

Reply to  JSNMGC

if the word (have) was there, you would be right.

Reply to  musicman44mag

Regarding attended? It is correct as it stands.

Reply to  JSNMGC

looks like two people disagree with the way you would write it.

Reply to  musicman44mag

I would get two or three down votes if I said the grass was green.

Reply to  JSNMGC

LOL. Ok, you believe what you want regarding payment of taxes, I will believe my eyes and what I have experienced and together we can agree to disagree.
How about that.

Reply to  musicman44mag

Joe loves people who reject data. What are you laughing at? You continue to believe something that is objectively not true, as you have your entire life by your own admission. It’s not a matter of opinion. You are so wrapped up in feelings that is blinds you to facts. You are a big supporter of Trump. You think people who make above a certain amount should pay a higher rate than in the past. Therefore, you believe Trump raised the rate (when in reality he lowered the rate). Do you realize how crazy that sounds? You rail on and… Read more »

Reply to  JSNMGC

Joe loves people who reject data. Yes the left doesn’t believe data unless it pushes their opinion or agenda. What are you laughing at? You continue to believe something that is objectively not true, as you have your entire life by your own admission. It’s not a matter of opinion. I refuse to believe your data provided because I know what I have seen and what I have paid and I don’t live my life with my head stuck in the sand I listen and learn and sometimes change my opinion based on information received. Your persistence that I am… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

I don’t remember correcting a bunch of your spelling/grammar errors. I pointed-out someone’s errors when that person was criticizing someone else , just because the hypocrisy was funny. If I did point out a bunch of your errors, my apologies. I absolutely can get along with someone who disagrees with me. I’ve been called all sorts of names on this site and shrug it off and try to keep the conversation civil (most of the time). I didn’t say you were ignorant, I didn’t say what you wrote was stupid, I didn’t call you a son-of-a-bitch, I didn’t call you… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by JSNMGC
Reply to  JSNMGC

Alright, looks like we can agree to disagree and still be civil to one another. Cool.

I still never got an answer why Warren Buffet’s secretary paid more taxes than she did per his own admission!

And, what about a flat tax, what do you think about that. I think that would be fair. Yes, you make more, you pay more but then again you have more to pay, right?

The current tax bracket in my opinion does not show fairness.

Last edited 1 month ago by musicman44mag
Reply to  musicman44mag

Now there is a conversation to be had. Warren Buffet’s secretary does not pay more taxes than he does. She pays a higher rate than he does (or did, at least for a period of time) because her earnings are regular income. Warren (one of the biggest hypocrites in the United States) has an extremely complex tax situation. He has an army of full time tax professionals that have been arguing with the IRS for a very long time to fight every aggressive tax position he has taken to reduce his rate. Warren Buffet is not the average senior corporate… Read more »

Reply to  JSNMGC

Humm. Fairness conversation would be about socialisim/communisim. Ok you kinda got me there. Maybe our definition of what is fair maybe different. I think that having one set of rules for all is fair and making it where one class is preferred or favored is like socialism/comm. For instance. Hitlary, Biden, holder and a bigger laundry list should be in jail especially the rich that don’t pay their taxes. Having upper and lower class in my opinion is ok, but treating them different or having a different set of rules is comm/sol. Just because you have more money gives you… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

Take the cost of running the government and divide by the number of people 18 years or older. That would be a flat tax. Is that amount per person “fair?” Is a flat tax rate “fair?” Right now, the bottom 50% of taxpayers only pay 3% of the total federal income taxes (and many of these people consume far more than the average amount of “services”). Is that “fair?” Socialism/Communism is sold to the masses as being “fair.” The Democrats have been successful at selling the notion that “the rich don’t pay their fair share.” They have even been successful… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  JSNMGC

Beautiful summary of “their” “though” process, though you missed one. “Older (middle aged or up) unfairly hold onto their jobs – stealing the jobs from younger and more deserving people.” To many wrongheaded assumptions in that view to address. Jobs are not a finite resource – a good employee drives business and creates more (and more profitable) jobs for younger/less experienced workers. Have repeatedly explained to my youngest that changes she supports would mean Mom and I would no longer be able to support her through her education. We would in fact cut off all the kids in the effort… Read more »

Reply to  JSNMGC

Take the cost of running the government and divide by the number of people 18 years or older. That would be a flat tax. Is that amount per person “fair?” Is a flat tax rate “fair?” Wow, your answer turns into a big question and has a lot of what if’s in it. What I mean by that is, what if we could balance the budget who determines how much debt we are going to make in a year and income always fluctuates so it is hard to nail down how much an exact tax would be. We give countries a lot of… Read more »

Reply to  JSNMGC

Ok, did some home work and if I can believe what I am reading on the internet, you are right. It looks like for a number of years, higher earners have paid the largest amount of taxes and it did say (Dont quote my numbers), that the top 10 percent pay as much or more than the bottom 50 percent so you are right. I was talking with the wife and told her of our discussion and asked her why about 14 years or so ago I got so pissed that the tax rate went down on people making over… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

No problem.  Can you see why so many people believe things that are not true about firearms, firearm laws, and crime? They get fed talking points and people believe what they are told. It’s very hard to convince them they are being lied to, no matter how much information you provide. The Republicans, the NRA, and others (including Sean Hannity) have done a horrible job of getting the truth out to people. By the way, you said you believe progressive tax rates are unfair, but you were mad the California rates for upper income brackets were decreased some time ago. California has had progressive… Read more »

Reply to  JSNMGC

“there is no amount of evidence that will convince them otherwise”

See discussion above for example (unless it is deleted).

J Gibbons
J Gibbons
Reply to  JSNMGC

Actually, most “conservatives” don’t believe any of that.

Reply to  J Gibbons

I put the word “conservatives” in quotes. Some of the loudest and most prolific posters on this site believe those things. I’ll add these false beliefs to the list:

• The majority of people born before 1960 were “conservative;” and
  • A progressive (punitive) tax policy is “conservative,” because wealthy people have tax shelters and own businesses, so raising the marginal tax rate is a good idea. Trump raised the marginal tax rate.
USCitizen
USCitizen
Reply to  JSNMGC

@ JSNMGC I’m conservative and I don’t believe any of the things you listed, I follow the evidence!

Reply to  USCitizen

It’s why I put “conservatives” in quotes. There are many people on this site who say they are conservatives who believe that stuff.

They get angry when confronted with data that is contrary to the items listed.

Gindy
Gindy
Reply to  musicman44mag

I agree with you about the cooperate churches! I’ve also grown distant from them because they’ve bent over backwards to appease politics. However, your statement reflects several selective, or emotional, priorities. Not that I want to upset you or take the conversation off track, I disagree with you about your support of selective abortion. In any situation outside of the womb it would be considered “murder” if we selectively eliminated all the categories you suggested. Why then is it allowed inside the womb? You and I don’t have the authority to decide who lives and who dies! No human does!… Read more »

Cruiser
Cruiser
Reply to  Gindy

Amen

Reply to  Gindy

They continue to push for abortions to be performed at the time of delivery if the woman feels anxious:

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  JSNMGC

The “they” who push to allow abortion up to birth are a rather small fraction of democrat voters. This is one example where conservatives and moderate “liberals” should work together to insure a more reasonable outcome. As with “conservatives”, those voicing the most extreme positions get almost all the attention – while those in the middle should be driving the conversation.

Reply to  Finnky

I think I’ll just end my participation in this discussion.

hoss
hoss
Reply to  musicman44mag

I hate abortion as well, but I believe God has a reason behind everything that happens, and we do not know his plans.
There are many, many examples of parents to be that have been told by doctors their unborn child would be born downs,retarded, or other defects, guess what the baby was born perfect, no problems! I don’t know the mind of God, but I chose to err on the side of caution.

Reply to  hoss

As with anything there is always a chance. I prefer no abortion but I FEEL that we should not push our belief on others that FEEL different. I would not want to face God and say I killed your baby because!!!!!!! But for someone else that doesn’t care or FEELs that it is something they need to do, or thinks that there is no God, I FEEL that it should be there right. It might be wrong but it is their sin to bare not ours. My mother aborted my would be sister before she married my dad. I was… Read more »