NRA Applauds Attorneys General Amicus Brief in New York Carry Case

NRA Gavel American Flag
The NRA appaluds the Attorney General Amicus Brief in New York carry case. IMG NRA-ILA

U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- In December, The National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) partnered with the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association and asked the Supreme Court to hear a challenge to New York’s restrictive process for issuing concealed carry licenses.

Today, the NRA-ILA applauds the 23 Attorneys General who filed an amicus brief in support of that petition. That effort was led by Attorneys General Eric S. Schmitt of Missouri and Mark Brnovich of Arizona. Also signing on to the brief were Attorneys General Steve Marshall of Alabama, Ed Sniffen of Alaska, Leslie Rutledge of Arkansas, Christopher M. Carr of Georgia, Ashley Moody of Florida, Lawrence G. Wasden of Idaho, Theodore E. Rokita of Indiana, Derek Schmidt of Kansas, Daniel Cameron of Kentucky, Jeff Landry of Louisiana, Lynn Fitch of Mississippi, Austin Knudsen of Montana, Douglas J. Peterson of Nebraska, Wayne Stenehjem of North Dakota, Dave Yost of Ohio, Mike Hunter of Oklahoma, Alan Wilson of South Carolina, Jason R. Ravnsborg of South Dakota, Ken Paxton of Texas, Sean D. Reyes of Utah, and Patrick Morrisey of West Virginia.

Attorneys General have a “special responsibility to safeguard their citizens’ fundamental rights, including their right to bear arms in self-defense outside the home,” the brief argues. It also argues that “liberty ensures security. The Founding generation knew this all too well, and they enshrined the right to bear arms in their constitutions to keep it safe, not just from kings, but from legislatures as well.”

The NRA-ILA greatly appreciates the efforts that these Attorneys General put into this brief and their support for the right to keep and bear arms.

Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org for future updates on this and all of NRA-ILA’s efforts to defend your constitutional rights.

About NRA-ILA:

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the “lobbying” arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess, and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Visit: www.nra.org

National Rifle Association Institute For Legislative Action (NRA-ILA)

Charles Nichols
Charles Nichols
2 months ago

“[I]n State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann. 489, 490 (1850), the Louisiana Supreme Court held that citizens had a right to carry arms openly: “This is the right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, and which is calculated to incite men to a manly and noble defence of themselves, if necessary, and of their country, without any tendency to secret advantages and unmanly assassinations.”” District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S.Ct. 2809 “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right… Read more »

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax

Charles,

That’s where we part ways. You are willing to accept a SCOTUS ruling that infringes on the 2A, I am not. I hold that the BoR is inviolate. The SCOTUS has the authority to rule on whether some other law complies with it, but has no authority to modify it. Those unalienable rights come from our Creator, they aren’t conferred upon us by the government. I don’t hold the government as being superior to our Creator and therefore it has no power or authority to overrule those natural rights.

2 months ago

Ok, the message board has gotten a little off topic so I will try and rein it in with the following questions to these individuals and anyone else that wants to join in. Right now I am really happy to see the gang is all here USMC JSNMGC now I can remember without having to look back for the letters. OldVET. Dave one of our authors. 1 Are you going to watch the superbowl and who is your pick. 2 Are you cooking? if so what? I am making four types of chicken wings. BBQ, Asian, Curry and Louisiana hot… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

I couldn’t care less about the NFL (the pLaYERs are PRICE gOUGers!!!!!!). I will be snowshoeing during the game.

Making roast red pepper soup, salmon tacos and serving gran cru red Burgundy.

Reply to  JSNMGC

Man that sounds good to eat and you are definitely going to get some major exercise. Be safe.

Reply to  musicman44mag

Just before and after sunset is a good time to go – usually see some critter out and about (mule deer, elk, moose).

Reply to  musicman44mag

Damn now I am in the mood for some smoked salmon.

Reply to  musicman44mag

I did the same thing but I am so tired of all the same stuff on TV and being in lock down I am going to watch the super bowl. They have a team that has an old quarterback that a team let go because they said he was to old and now he is in the super bowl again. I am voting for him. As far as nascar is concerned I lost interest when I saw they were pushing dale Jr. and wanted him to be a super star. I was kinda in and out but when they fired… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

We don’t have any pro teams for anything here in Oregone and don’t say the potland trail hosers I don’t want to repeat myself.

RoyD
RoyD
2 months ago

I carried here in Oklahoma for twenty years before the State decided it would be an alright thing for certain people to do. Never lost any sleep over it either.

Reply to  RoyD

I’m going out on a limb and take a wild guess – you never shot anyone for disrespecting your shoes, did you?

chocopot
chocopot
2 months ago

What about us here in Communist-controlled NJ?

Laddyboy
Laddyboy
Reply to  chocopot

@c: Ditto for Maryland — “the free state”.

Charles Nichols
Charles Nichols
Reply to  Laddyboy

The Supreme Court has already denied the concealed carry cert petitions from Maryland.

2 months ago

Who produced the Certs? What law firm? Organization? What support did they have in doing so? Do these Certs need to be reconstructed to give them a stronger fundamental basis of law?

Reply to  Laddyboy

Read above statement (Once approved.)

Charles Nichols
Charles Nichols
Reply to  chocopot

The Supreme Court has already denied the concealed carry cert petitions from New Jersey.

Wass
Wass
2 months ago

The refusal by the US Supreme Court to hear concealed carry cases brought by plaintiffs in Maryland and New Jersey, were before the current makeup of the court. Hopefully, with the three appointed justices by President Trump, there will be some movement toward restablishing constitutional law in those states with regards to gun rights.

2 months ago

See my reply to Charles Nichols (above)

Reply to  chocopot

Communists love government-imposed price controls.

Reply to  chocopot

STAND YOUR GROUND! Create a coalition of like minded people, go to your City Council and County Commissioners meetings and if you have people on either that are in violation of their Oaths of Office, step up to the podium when it is your time to speak and SPEAK! Point your finger at them and put them on public notice, “YOU, are in direct violation of your Oath of Office, (Then state WHY) and alert them, “If you do NOT get in-line with the law, WE ARE GOING TO YANK YOUR BUTT OUT OF OFFICE!” Then calmly go sit back… Read more »

Charles Nichols
Charles Nichols
2 months ago

This is a concealed carry case which, like it or not, is not a #2A right. The brief mentions #OpenCarry once but mentions concealed carry 33 times. This cert petition is D.O.A.

J.C.
J.C.
2 months ago

I don’t see how you bear arms would matter, the right is to bear arms. if I want to tuck in in my waist band that’s my choice not the nanny states.

Charles Nichols
Charles Nichols
Reply to  J.C.

It matters because concealed carry fails to give notice to people around the concealed carrier that he is armed so that they may govern themselves accordingly and takes steps toward self-preservation. Also, only cowards and criminals carry concealed weapons.

Keep digging.

Stag
Stag
2 months ago

That may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

Reply to  Stag

It’s not really that uncommon. People like him voted for FDR and LBJ. Paternalistic authoritarians.

Daddy knows best – is that right Charles Nichols?

Stag
Stag
Reply to  JSNMGC

Unfortunately, the gun community is full of butters and Fudds who have no understanding of ‘bear’ or shall not be infringed.

Reply to  Stag

Butters, Fudds, people who want government to solve their petty problems, people who have a need to tell other people how to live, people who want gun control exemptions for government employees/ex-government employees, people who will follow bad orders, etc.

Last edited 2 months ago by JSNMGC
Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
2 months ago

Charles Nichols, That may be the best description for situational ethics that I’ve heard yet. It is also absolutely amoral. Your argument boils down to, “People only need to behave properly when there are consequences for them not doing so.” Furthermore your assumption about cowards and criminals doesn’t hold water. The best argument for concealed carry is that it DOESN’T tell bad people that you are armed and make you their first target when they decide to commit a crime. I’m not sure where you got your education about guns or laws from, but you need to broaden your exposure,… Read more »

2 months ago

This is about the most stupid answer I have ever read. What you are saying is that you are a loud mouth and treat people like shit and you want to know if they have a gun or not because if they do you will treat them better because you are afraid you will get shot if you piss them off. This perception totally shows you don’t know what carrying a gun means or what it is for. It’s not to solve little squabbles or even fights. It’s there to save your life if you think someone is going to… Read more »

Reply to  musicman44mag

I’m sorry, I saw this and went off and didn’t bother to read what the others had wrote but son you have to realize what we are saying is true. I basically said the same as the others without even reading their responses to what you had said. i hope that eventually you educate yourself about guns and that they are for fun and they are also a tool.

“You have to be a kid,”

I’m guessing quite the opposite.

Age does not confer IQ, education, experience, or wisdom. It is just the passage of time.

Joe, Chuck, Nancy, Diane, and many others are elderly.

Reply to  JSNMGC

unfortunately what you said is true. I am hoping is it someone young enough to learn and not an old salty dog set in their ways that will never change.

Hey, yesterday you asked me if I would vote for President Trump no matter what and I told you I would vote for the constitutionalist. Did you respond to that?

I did.

Reply to  JSNMGC

Do you mind repeating what you said. I find a lot of what you say informative and smart, but don’t get a big head, I don’t’ agree with everything. In your defense though, I never do.

No big head here.

I said I don’t think a Constitutionalist will be one of our options in the 2024 Republican primary.

Reply to  JSNMGC

Thanks for saying it again. Well, I hope that is not the case. I think we both know that is exactly what is required to get this mess straightened out. I want to see Romney run again so I can vote for my dog catcher in the primary. LOL

Reply to  JSNMGC

Did you run to the head or something? Did you not want to copy and paste what you said? I don’t remember which post it was on.

Reply to  musicman44mag

You think Charles Nichols and wil are the same person?

Reply to  JSNMGC

I hope so if not we have double trouble.

Reply to  musicman44mag

I think more likely his alter ego is DEE

Reply to  JSNMGC

I always wondered what that stood for just like JSNMGC, i assume it is something military but I have not idea. There are a couple others too.

Just
Say
Gun
Control

Reply to  JSNMGC

Right on, I like it. Now I have two of my most favorite reads out here, you and USMC grunt.

Reply to  musicman44mag

Why, I will take that compliment! Thank you! My appreciation goes along with the two of you (JSNMGC) as well.

Last edited 2 months ago by USMC0351Grunt
Knute
Knute
Reply to  musicman44mag

Such persons as C.N. want to know who might be armed, so they can know to be polite to them. Others… not be polite to. Their default position is mean, but they will be nice to someone they consider to be dangerous. They wish to know because their desire is to run roughshod over everyone else. They want to know who they can easily and safely, bully (speaking of cowards… 🙂 ).
Such ones never clue to the idea that one should just respect everybody…. until they prove by action to be unworthy of respect.

2 months ago

May as well give me your mailing address so I can ship you a case of Tampons ™ because you are sure going to need them…. Either that or STAND YOUR GROUND WITH SOME BACKBONE!

Reply to  USMC0351Grunt

I looked up your MOS the other day.

Last edited 2 months ago by musicman44mag
Reply to  musicman44mag

Yes… A part of the Noise Boys! I have been known to do things that you should NEVER try at home?

Last edited 2 months ago by USMC0351Grunt
2 months ago

LOL, glad I am not the only one that says antifag. We need more like that.

2 months ago

Or, “AntiPanties” works, depending if he has bun and biscuits? By the way… What ever happened to that fundraiser to send razor blades to those geniuses in Oregon and San Francisco that were going to slice their cumquats because they were protesting being WHITE?