SIG SAUER Files P365 Magazine Patent Infringement Case Against Springfield

P365XL Streamlight TLR-6 Sub
The new Streamlight TLR-6 Sub mounted on a SIG P365XL. IMG Jim Grant

U.S.A.-(AmmoLand.com)- SIG SAUER, Inc., filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, Rock Island Division, alleging that Springfield, Inc. (Springfield Armory) infringes two SIG patents relating to SIG’s P365 magazine.

The P365 has seen tremendous commercial success, due to the innovative design of the high-capacity magazine. In its complaint, SIG alleges that Springfield Armory’s making and selling of certain “Hellcat” branded magazines infringes upon two SIG patents. SIG SAUER is seeking injunctive relief, as well as monetary damages for Springfield Armory’s past and ongoing infringement.

Ron Cohen, President and Chief Executive Officer, made the following statement:

“When the SIG SAUER P365 was introduced it took the market by storm as the most innovative high-capacity, micro-compact pistol to be introduced due to its magazine capacity, and quickly became one of the top selling handguns in the market due to this unprecedented innovation. SIG is not a litigious company, but given the extent of infringement by Springfield, SIG has a responsibility to protect both our intellectual property and the significant investment we make to develop our innovative products. As a company we are proud to yield more than 100 patents worldwide, with more than 40 patent applications currently pending, and we will protect the extensive research and design that goes into developing these patents rigorously.”

About SIG SAUER, Inc.

SIG SAUER, Inc. is a leading provider and manufacturer of firearms, electro-optics, ammunition, airguns, suppressors, and training. For over 250 years SIG SAUER, Inc. has evolved, and thrived, by blending American ingenuity, German engineering, and Swiss precision. Today, SIG SAUER is synonymous with industry-leading quality and innovation which has made it the brand of choice amongst the U.S. Military, the global defense community, law enforcement, competitive shooters, hunters, and responsible citizens. Additionally, SIG SAUER is the premier provider of elite firearms instruction and tactical training at the SIG SAUER Academy. Headquartered in Newington, New Hampshire, SIG SAUER has over 2,300 employees across nine locations. For more information about the company and product line visit: sigsauer.com.

SIG SAUER Logo

Arny
Arny
26 days ago

No way to resolve this issue without courts ? Couldn’t the court expenses be used for better issues ? Such as fighting the commies wanting to remove everyone’s right to self defense.

Dee
Dee
27 days ago

The 365 is my 365 carry for my wife and I. Excellent firearm. Don’t own a Hellcat but I’m sure they are great too. Hope they figure this out. I’m curious if the new micro-carry M&P stole any proprietary technology from Sig as well.

Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.
Reply to  Dee

I bet S&W and Ruger are having some long talks with their patent attorneys as we speak.

J Gibbons
J Gibbons
27 days ago

I haven’t seen exactly which magazines fall under “certain Hellcat branded magazines” or what the specific infringement might be.

I can say that both are excellent carry and self-defense pistols. They carry like a single stack, but hold more than 6 or 7 rounds, which is typically of common single stacks (Glock 43, S&W Shield, Walther PPS, FN 503, etc.)

There will be a settlement. I hope that doesn’t involve removing the Hellcat from the market as it is an excellent gun given the size and features.

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
Reply to  J Gibbons

The only reason for the law suit is because the Hellcat has eaten up so much of their business and Sig has gone way down hill from what it once was. I wouldn’t trust my life to one anymore.

BeReady
BeReady
Reply to  musicman44mag

LMAO – “Gone Way Down Hill” – yeah, you certainly have not been keeping track of gun sales as of late. Sig is one of the fastest growing gun companies in the world due to their innovation and quality. The P365 revolutionized the CCW market – and they have every right to protect their patents. Why pay for and go to the expense of getting a patent if you will just let people rip you off? They did the work – so should Springfield.

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
Reply to  BeReady

Springfield did do the work. That is why they have a product that is taking over the micro market and making Sig cry. I believe that the Springfield is made in Croatia. The U. S. could only stop the flow into America not stop them from making them. Ever since Sig went from Germany to America the they have gone down hill. I’m so sorry that I bought into the hype about how great Sig is supposed to be. With the extra money I spent on a name I could have bought half of another well made Hellcat that I… Read more »

CourageousLion
CourageousLion
Reply to  BeReady

My experience with SIG has my SIG pistols parked in my safe. TWO P320’s blew up with factory ammo in .357 SIG. I’ve seen other P320s that have blown up due to early extraction. I have a P226 that was a German version that had the rail fall off on one side. SIG sent me a return as a replacement for a teflon coated one. It was so ugly I painted it. I have about 10 SIGS and won’t carry one for protection. They have me soured. I’m big enough to carry a Glock 29/30 easily and no one can… Read more »

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
Reply to  CourageousLion

Lol your story just gave me a new nickname for them. Sig Soured. I’m sure someone else has thought of it but I have never seen it that way.

Dee
Dee
Reply to  CourageousLion

I’m ordered the Sig Cross before they were recalled. Thanks goodness I was able to swop it for the Ruger Precision 6.5. And now I’m bout to trade this for the Daniel Defense bolt precision rifle.

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
27 days ago

Come on man. I bought a hell cat because my two Sig P938 pistols had problems with the sear and have gone back for repair of the same problem in both pistols three times. I hope this doesn’t mean that my hellcat is a POS like my Sigs are.

Gee Sig, is the design over 10 years old? Patients aren’t valid after ten years and you have to modify it in order to keep it. For instance. Colt rifles. M16, M4 etc.

Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.
Reply to  musicman44mag

Speaking of questionable legal advice…
Utility patents typically last 20 years from the date of application or 17 years from the date of issuance, whichever is longer.

linkman
linkman
28 days ago

But I thought Biden said that gun manufacturers are immune from lawsuits?

Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.
28 days ago

Queue the fanboys attacking each other, offering questionable corporate legal advice, denouncing the American patent system, and 3rd party fanboys denouncing both Sig AND S-A.

BeReady
BeReady
Reply to  Jeremy B.

LMAO – I agree 100%. The auto industry is not the only one full of “Ford vs. Chevy” blind followers. Perfect Comment.

Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.
Reply to  BeReady

Don’t look now, here come the Dodge bros.