Armaspec Battle Grip Screw – The AR15 Upgrade You Never Knew You Needed

Armaspec Grip Screw 01
The Armaspec Battle Grip Screw. IMG Jim Grant

U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- I know what you’re thinking, “a dedicated review on a grip screw?!” And that’s totally fair. If you had told me about it before I had a chance to check out the new Armaspec Battle Grip Screw, I would have scoffed at the premise myself.

But it’s actually a very handy little item that after installing in one AR-15, I wanted this grip screw in everyone I own. So what makes it so special? Read on and find out.

Armaspec Battle Grip Screw

Grip screws for the AR-15 come in two varieties – hex screw and slotted screw. The former is the overwhelming majority of screws out there. And it works great – when you have the right Allen key.

And I don’t just mean diameter, but length is absolutely critical. Because I don’t know about you readers, but for me, I never seem to have the right one handy. So if I want to tighten the screw down or replace a grip, I’ve got to go scouring my toolbox and workshop to find the damn thing.

Armaspec Grip Screw 02
The Battle Grip Screw can be tightened with a simple coin. IMG Jim Grant

The Battle Grip Screw from Armaspec takes a much more user-friendly approach. It utilizes both a large single slot that any standard US coin fits, and is shaped like a barbell with flairs at the end.

So what?

So shooters can just use a coin or flat-head screwdriver to securely install their grip. And that’s it.

I won’t waste your time going on about how much I love it, or how it’s perfect or anything. But simply put, the Armaspec grip screw is just so damn convenient that it makes me wonder why someone didn’t think of it sooner.

The downside? The Armaspec Battle Grip Screw is about three times the price of a standard grip screw at $10.99.

About Jim Grant

Jim is one of the elite editors for AmmoLand.com, who in addition to his mastery of prose, can wield a camera with expert finesse. He loves anything and everything guns but holds firearms from the Cold War in a special place in his heart.

When he’s not reviewing guns or shooting for fun and competition, Jim can be found hiking and hunting with his wife Kimberly, and their dog Peanut in the South Carolina low country.

Jim Grant

Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, Ammoland will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Country Boy
Country Boy(@country-boy)
1 month ago

Alsa it won’t work with my Magpul grip that holds the oil bottle….maybe they need to make a oil bottle that works with it?

E4TL34D
E4TL34D(@e4tl34d)
1 month ago

I bought a screwdriver-style hex driver for my grip screws. It lives on the wall above my bench. I don’t use it for anything else. And I’m starting to buy the grips with the little plug so I can store a tool or other items in the grips, so this wouldn’t work for that. But I can see the appeal otherwise! That’s a nice looking piece of hardware.

CWT
CWT(@tearlach65)
1 month ago

I have a small 1/4 drive socket set that came with a six inch extension, a magnetic bit driver attachment and a set of hex head bits. Cost me $15.

chiefton
chiefton(@chiefton)
1 month ago

$35 for a screw that you may never remove? Somebody out there has screws loose and it is not on their gun.

Cam
Cam(@cam)
Reply to  chiefton

Blue locktite is cheaper than that screw

Bill
Bill(@bill1776)
Reply to  chiefton

Maybe we need to find a way to replace ALL the screws on ALL our firearms that might ever loosen, and that can’t be tightened with a coin. What a great idea! (Meanwhile, my grips seem to all have lock nuts, haven’t loosened in the least, and if they ever do, I will probably tighten them, as if that were the usual maintenance thing….)

Knute Knute
Knute Knute(@knute)
Reply to  chiefton

I read this to mean that 10.99 was the price for this ‘special’ screw, and that the standard screw costs 1/3 of that. Nevertheless, I can’t imagine why someone would need to remove or install their AR pistol grip at the range. There’s nothing under there except the detent pin and spring that holds the selector in. Normally, they’re locktited in place and don’t loosen up. What, someone wants to bring a dozen different grips to the range and try them all for comfort? Even if one should want to do that for some reason, isn’t that something that could… Read more »

JayWPB
JayWPB(@fl-ga)
1 month ago

Never have a hex wrench long enough? Maybe someone could invent one shaped like a capital L.
Seriously, Jim, have you been watching too many Biden speeches?

Knute Knute
Knute Knute(@knute)
Reply to  JayWPB

You really should give the author a break. I’m guessing he was assigned this product to hawk at people and did his best. How many words can one come up with to sell a special screw that nobody wants or needs? How many ways can you say; “you might not have a wrench with you, but you might have a coin?” Poor guy.

Norm
Norm(@nglitz)
1 month ago

A solution in search of a problem.
Its main function seems to be transferring $$ from your pocket to theirs, like most AR “upgrades”.

swmft
swmft(@swmft)
Reply to  Norm

if you need this all your pins should be threaded too and captured springs for easy play

Arny
Arny(@dmaxter)
1 month ago

Weren’t you aware we are in a coin shortage ? Quit hoarding all the change to tighten your grip. lol

Last edited 1 month ago by Arny
Jaque
Jaque(@jaque)
1 month ago

Is this April fools day ? Who the hell changes grips every week.?

Or year ?

Or lacks a screwdriver or allen wrench ?

Maybe folks who shouldnt be messing with their guns.

A TEN BUCK SCREW FOR IDIOTS. HOW BOUT SOME LAND IN THE EVERGLADES

CwC
CwC(@99fxr2)
Reply to  Jaque

Yep, a fool and his… I use a stainless, 3/4″ Pan head Phillips screw that I get at the hardware store for $.25. They have a large head that accepts a #3 Phillips screw driver making it very easy to tighten. Anybody who pays even the $3+ mentioned for a grip screw is an idiot.

Then, too, how much tension are you going to get on a grip screw with a quarter? Pass!!

gregs
gregs(@gregsodeman)
Reply to  Jaque

the glades are great, come on down.

Jaque
Jaque(@jaque)
Reply to  gregs

Hell, we might be neighbors. Born and bred in the swamps of the Fla Glades. Ever busted caps at Pops range ?

Docduracoat
Docduracoat(@glenhermanhotmail-com)
Reply to  Jaque

Pops range !? It’s been along time since I shot at Pops range. Sharon, who has been running it ever since Pops died, has always been a very difficult person to get along with. She routinely throws temper tantrum’s and kicks people out or flat out bans them for no reason at all. The only reason to shoot there was that they allowed machine guns and Used to allow tannerite . Palm Beach has opened a five-star facility across from Corbett wildlife management area. The Palm Beach shooting sports complex is the nicest outdoor range I’ve ever shot at. if… Read more »

Jaque
Jaque(@jaque)
Reply to  Docduracoat

Pops was close the home. About 2 minutes away. Thats what made up for the the issues one might have encountered.with his daughter. Anyhow I never had any difficulties there.

Cam
Cam(@cam)
Reply to  Jaque

With all the ball python ya can eat!