Beretta 92 Pistol ~ The Forgotten Handgun

Editors Note: With the resurgence of police Beretta 92 surplus pistols this review is an update of one of Mikes’s articles that ran on AmmoLand News in 2015 and just a great read.

Beretta 92 Pistol
Beretta 92 Pistol

USA – -(Ammoland.com)- Do you remember the first time that you saw a Beretta 92?

It may have been while watching an action film from the 1980s such as Lethal Weapon or Die Hard or a thriller from the 1990s like Leon: The Professional.

Perhaps movies aren’t your thing and it was on active or reserve duty with the US Military over the past 30 years or on duty with a law enforcement agency.

Whenever it was, for three decades the Beretta 92 in all of its configurations was one of the most popular 9mm handguns on the market, selling between $500 and $1000 and bringing imitations from Brazil, Egypt, Turkey, and Romania. Then things went south for the venerable model and today Used & Surplus Beretta 92s Pistols can be had for as little as $429.

Beretta 92 Pistol

Beretta 92 Pistol Barrel
Beretta 92 Pistol Barrel

When the 92 series debuted, it was a revolution in the firearms world. The pistol was double action, held 15 rounds of 9mm in the magazine and the open-top slide made it look vastly different than its predecessors such as the 1911, Browning Hi-Power, CZ, Smith & Wesson semi-autos, etc. In the 1980s, it was the pistol to have. Glocks were new on the scene and had taken a bad rap for their polymer frames; Sig Sauer pistols were deemed to be too expensive.

Beretta made basic changes along the way to the base model Beretta 92 handgun. A version came out with a more vertical grip frame known as the Vertec. The Inox models in stainless steel became available, as did an enclosed barrel model dubbed the Centurion. Double-action-only models were made for customers that refused to learn anything about shooting apart from how their double-action K-frame revolver felt. The late 1990s ushered in frames with rails so we could hang lights and lasers on them.

Yet, the market grew smaller.

Other companies were offering pistols with better triggers, lighter frames, increased magazine capacity, and simplified maintenance. The misguided 1994 Federal Assault Weapon Ban made people shift to larger calibers that held closer to 10 rounds than 15. When concealed carry became a reality in many states, people did not want full-sized service pistols in their holsters; they wanted something lighter. As most police departments moved on to other firearms, so did much of the civilian firearm market.

With active duty military and veterans, there were ebbs of nostalgia; yet that group seemed split into two camps: one side that loved the Beretta M9 and the other that did not.

Perhaps the biggest hit that the Beretta 92 series took was when it was announced that it would be replaced after serving US forces as a sidearm since 1985. The armchair commandos came out in full force citing that it was time to move up to a 45 ACP handgun, screaming from the mountaintops how the bigger caliber had better results.

This, of course, is not entirely accurate. Most of the shootings with a handgun in 45 ACP were at the hands of Special Forces, Navy SEAL, Marine Recon or Delta Operator. The 9mm was more typically wielded by cooks, truck drivers or mortar men in a line unit. The comparison is one of apples to oranges as the typical cook, mortar man or truck driver simply does not have the same level of training as a tier-one warfighter. The real output of those shooting incidents is more of shot placement. A trained shooter will simply be more accurate and hence, more deadly with a pistol than a troop who is not as well trained.

Now retired Beretta 92s are hitting the police trade-in market in droves, with the average retail price between $300 and $400. The author picked one up for a sense of nostalgia. I had been in the camp that disliked the Beretta and had not shot an M9 since the early 1990s while serving as a US Marine. Over the years I had contemplated adding one to the collection but found better firearms at the same price.

The sight of a Beretta 92 FS for $400 and change, made me grab one.

It was beaten up and rough on the outside, but like new on the inside. We took her out to the desert to run a box of ammo through her and she was reliable and accurate. The Model 92 was made for shooting and three decades of service use mean there are a lot of spare parts and aftermarket accessories for this fine old warhorse.

It may not make the carry rotation but would serve fine as a home defense pistol, “truck gun” or just an excellent shooter to make noise on a Saturday afternoon.

Beretta 92 Pistol
Beretta 92 Handgun Trigger

About Mike Searson

Mike Searson’s career as a shooter began as a Marine Rifleman at age 17. He has worked in the firearms industry his entire adult life as a Gunsmith, Ballistician, Consultant, Salesman, Author and was first certified to teach firearms safety in 1989.

Mike has written over 2000 articles for a number of magazines, websites, and newsletters including Blade, RECOIL, OFF-GRID, Tactical Officer, SWAT, Tactical World, Gun Digest, Examiner.com, and the US Concealed Carry Association.

Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, Ammoland will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
12 days ago

I carried some compact variant in .40 S&W in Iraq; really had no opinion on the pistol one way or another. In the last year ot so, I realized I did not have a single 9mm pistol in my gun room, so picked up several, including a 92FS, a 92X Vertec, and a 92X Performance. I have come to appreciate the craftsmanship and how slick they are, even if th 9mm cartridge is only a choice for cost and availability.

Last edited 12 days ago by Roland T. Gunner
JIAZ
JIAZ
12 days ago

“I have come to appreciate the craftsmanship and how slick they are,”

^Ditto

Alan in NH
Alan in NH
12 days ago

The Taurus 92 is made under license in Brazil, and I like it better because the safety works in the same direction as a 1911.Up for safe, down to fire and also Taurus has a decocker to safely lower the hammer to D/A first shot.

Vinnie
Vinnie
11 days ago
Reply to  Alan in NH

My first gun was a PT99AFD and I still have it. I recently bought an older PT92AF that was built before they added the decocker. Both are tack drivers, will eat any ammo, and always go bang. I have NEVER had a single malfunction on either.

2gats
2gats

It was good enough for pedo joe to give 160,000 to the taliban

nobodyuknow
nobodyuknow
1 year ago

Dear Mr. Searson: Thank you for your article on the Beretta 92/M9 I much prefer the Taurus 92, The reason is that the Taurus 92 allows the shooter/user to carry the handgun safely cocked and locked. This a condition not afforded by the Beretta model. You made a comment that stated “Double action only models were made for customers that refused to learn anything about shooting apart from how their double action K-frame revolver felt.” Frankly, Mr. Searson, that is just a pile of horse-hockey! The traditional double action semi-automatic pistol, because of it two different trigger pulls, IS slower… Read more »

Reply to  nobodyuknow

You can chuck that DAO overboard any time now.

Core
Core
1 year ago

Chow Yun-Fat’s “The Replacement Killers” is a good M9 movie. He also has some Chinese movies where he uses other models, but he really rocked the M9 in cinema. Trained hard on M9’s in the Navy, had a few mags blow out due to double charges and it really hurts when they hit your leg: slap a new mag in rack it and keep on going, and a few barrel’s rupture in a seven day where they saw tens of thousands of rounds in short order. Every mechanical device fails eventually under hard use. The ONLY two guns I did… Read more »

Ej harbet
Ej harbet
1 year ago

Ill pick up the m9 from the table if the last 2 next to it are a highpoint and a 1911. During their heyday i was a smith kframe wheelguner

nobodyuknow
nobodyuknow
Reply to  Ej harbet

Ej . . . I gotta’ S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum you would dearly love. Shot the gun in competition for years. D.A Trigger pull is a slick 4.5 lbs. You have to shoot Federal ammo or Federal primed reloads in it but it puts them right where you point it.

Reply to  nobodyuknow

I found a NIB 66-2 for a pretty good price several years ago; kind of nostalgic as my brother and I both carried the same 66 as rookies that our father carried before us. I’d like to shoot this one, but I’m trying to make myself keep it NIB. That family revolver was lost in a burglary about 10 years ago.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
1 year ago

This article purports to have a 6 April 2020 date. Yet, some of the comments are 2,3 and 4 years old. Cryptic.

F Riehl, Editor in Chief
Admin
Reply to  Wild Bill

WB, you are not going crazy… “Editors Note: With the resurgence of police surplus pistols this review is an update of one of Mikes’s articles that ran on AmmoLand News in 2015, and just a great read.”

Tionico
Tionico
1 year ago

I liked all those action flicks but in those days a handgun was a handgun, though I certainly did know the differenbe between a pistol and a revolver. I thought revolvers were way more cool.. in those days CHP officers wore a S&W sixgun, I believe in .357 Mag. Those funny looking things like James Bond ‘carried” did not attract me. More recently when I DID decide it was time to arm up, I applied for my Mother May I Card, and got it a week later. Did not know what I would carry, but the smallest thing out there… Read more »

Knute
Knute
1 year ago

One little piece of advice I’d offer on these LE trade-ins. Pay the extra 20 bucks or so for the ‘select’ (or whatever word. Hand-picked or what have you). As armorer maintained weapons, they all shoot, but some officers, just like some mechanics or HVAC guys or whatever, take better care of their tools than others. In my experience, the selected ones are well worth the few extra dollars they cost.

Cam
Cam
13 days ago
Reply to  Knute

Depends why is doing the grading, I paid for select from classic firearms. They just took the $20 extra and obviously didn’t choose a good one. My hand select had 20% finish on slide and deep pitting. I called and emailed classic and never heard back. I then took pictures and left a review on their web page. They deleted the pictures and review in about a day.

3l120
3l120
Reply to  Cam

Classic is known for that.

Reply to  3l120

I dont usually buy from them becsuse their prices are not usually competitive, but what you are describing is scumbag behavior.

Mike Crognale
Mike Crognale
1 year ago

My first brand new pistol purchase was the 92FS. It was accurate right out of the box. I liked it a lot. My son shot it and immediately asked if he could have it. He and his wife still have it and shoot it regularly. Great piece.

Indiana
Indiana
1 year ago

idk how this can be “forgotten” when it’s literally used in every tv show ever made that features a gun.

glendalehawk
glendalehawk
1 year ago

I’ve always liked the Berretta but they were pretty expensive. I picked up a brand new 92FS for $479.99 a couple of weeks ago and this has become my favorite for all around shooting. I use the M&P Shield for concealed carry but really love the Berretta 92FS. It’s a good addition to my collection of 9’s.

Joefriday
Joefriday
1 year ago

I carried a 92F for many years on duty with L.A. County starting in 1987. It was one of the best firearms I have carried and shot. Accurate and dependable! This was the first semi-auto the department authorized after transitioning from revolvers.

Doszap
Doszap
1 year ago

Palmetto State Armory has them for sale right now,but due to the barrel lock block breakage on the S models and FS models I have steered clear of them.Love the weapon,they shoot great,but are no longer suitable for carry.Like the man said car/truck/home defense sure.

JIAZ
JIAZ
1 year ago

I like mine and it’s still in my EDC rotation.

JIAZ
JIAZ
Reply to  JIAZ

My 92FS is still my favorite OWB cold weather concealed carry piece. In addition to it’s flawless functioning, I personally find it easy to shoot extremely well.

Eddie
Eddie

“Double-action only models were made for customers that refused to learn anything about shooting apart from how their double-action K-frame revolver felt.”
Nope. The DAO was the correct answer to the question “why not make things simple and the same for every shot?” rather than an aswer to a question no one was asking, i.e. DA/SA. Well trained double action shooters have no problem with DAO-ask generations of NYPD officers.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Eddie

– Are you seriously suggesting that NYPD can shoot? Other than “limited” immunity for legal protection, they are literally outgunned by pretty much any half way decent shooter. Would consider firearms advice from bozo the clown just as legitimate .

Superman
Superman
Reply to  Finnky

Then why don’t YOU become a NYPD officer and show us all how it SHOULD be done? Put up or shut up.

Ej harbet
Ej harbet
Reply to  Finnky

Rip jim cirillo nuff said!

3l120
3l120
Reply to  Eddie

Same for LAPD. All our service revolvers were castrated to DAO. Same with personal firearms carried on duty. I have several Smith J-frames and a Detective Special that way. Once you get used to it, the only way to go. Last shooting I was in, I used a Smith 5904, and I am sure I could have been more accurate with my wheel gun. Only marked him for evidence in the shoulder instead of center of target. And to those who think cops are all spray and pray, how many shootings you been in? In the Nam there were a… Read more »

Daniel Hammel
Daniel Hammel

If this 92fs still for sale plz email me at [email protected]

Stan
Stan
Reply to  Daniel Hammel

The pistol isn’t for sale, moron.

Eric R. Wendt
Eric R. Wendt

Around 1976, my suburban Chicago police department was sent 2 Berettas for evaluation.
Everyone that fired them thought they were “kinda cool”, but nobody wanted 2 carry one.
Most just thought they were too big.
Eric Wendt

Mike
Mike

Forgotten? It’s still the most prolific pistol to be found in use by U.S. military personnel worldwide. The 92 in its many forms is a fantastic sidearm that can be counted on to work in the most extreme of conditions. The weapon should have its recoil spring replaced every 5000 rounds and it’s locking block inspected after every range session and be replaced every 10,000 rounds. If this is done the gun should last a very long time indeed and be a piece of equipment an individual can trust to function flawlessly. It’s a big gun but it’s size makes… Read more »

Dave C
Dave C

“The Inox models in stainless steel became available, as did an enclosed barrel model dubbed the Centurion”

I believe the Centurion is actually an open slide model as well, with a full size framed but shortened slide and barrel.

Jeff
Jeff

Is your 92DAO still available?
[email protected]

ANDREW BILLUPS
ANDREW BILLUPS

What are you asking for this weapon?

Re Moses
Re Moses

I have a 92D DAO brand new never used in the case, anyone interested email me at [email protected],
I want to sell it legally.

Kirk
Kirk
Reply to  Re Moses

Do you still have It? What state are you In?

Reply to  Re Moses

Legally, the buyer hands you cash, and you hand him the pistol.

G.SMITH
G.SMITH

LOOKING FOR STOLEN BERETTA 9mm
BER 431 360 stainless

aircargoguy
aircargoguy

I just picked a 92S Italian military police gun for $325 shipping and all. It is a solid piece and shoots great , I have a bunch of guns but this is just sweet for the price.

Joe Fertig
Joe Fertig

I don’t think the author disrespects anyone and by your own words, you confirm what he says.”Training time is limited for the pistol” is much different than a Spec-Ops guy who shoots that same amount of ammo in a week as opposed to what you guys do in a year! I too, prefer enclosed slides on pistols like the Ruger, USP, and 1911 but this article makes me want to grab a Beretta 92S from SOG, now!

Greg Tag former 11C
Greg Tag former 11C

Small gripe here My first platoon leading job was Heavy Mortars. The author disses 11C ( Indirect Fire Infantryman) as not being ” first tier warfighters”. 11 Charlie is expected to wield a rifle or machine gun as effectively as 11 Bravo. Mortar platoons provide their own security, patrols and maneuver base. They may be in the boonies several kicks from the rest of the battalion , plus they can fight as effectively as a maneuver platoon. 11 Charlie has to be good with all the tools of the infantry trade , plus one more – the 120mm bad guy… Read more »

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Hmmm maybe I am wrong, but the tone sure seems disrespectful. Yeah Greg, that is kind of odd that he would have confined mortar men to the some other than first tier of warfighter. (I didn’t know that the Army classified into “tiers”. Is that something new? Because I remember Combat Arms, Combat Support and Combat Service support. Oh, well no matter. Maybe he never needed to call for support or he would see things differently. Why not cite the CEs, the JAGs, the AGs, the IG or the Medical Corps, none of those guys are very STRAC…but they are… Read more »

3l120
3l120
Reply to  Wild Bill

Think what he was complaining about is that everyone but the grunts were lumped together. Big difference between being a 1302 and whatever the supply MOS is. Learned that in the Nam…Semper fi.

Reply to  Wild Bill

The “Tier” reference has become a household word, but its real meaning is midunderstood and misused. Tiers actually refer to how much funding is committed to a particular program.

James
James

I bought a 92FS Enduring Freedom 1 of 2500. Looks Great, never Shot it. Still in the Box, I bought it because it was a Commerative Edition.

Mike Crognale
Mike Crognale

I bought a 92FS brand new in the box about 14 years ago. It felt right in my hand and was dead nuts accurate. I loved it. So did my son. He liked it so much that I gave it to him. He still shoots it.

Dr. Ramon de Torres
Dr. Ramon de Torres
Reply to  Mike Crognale

Though I was trained in the Navy (nearly 30 years ago as a member of the BAF, we ran around the ship with .45s and Mosbergs practicing to repel threats), I am relatively new to carry. My DW asked to buy guns and I (who wanted to but didn’t bother to bring it up to DW) okayed it (she is good enough to have not bought a gun had I vetoed it). Well, being a newcomer to guns as a civilian after almost 30 years, I just don’t know what ‘dead nuts’ means. I can assume dead-nuts means 100% accurate;… Read more »

Tionico
Tionico
1 year ago

YU sir are the causative agent for the best belly laugh I’ve had in a long time. Your “continuum” from dead nuts to just plain nuts is hilarious. I suppose DW means “darling wife” or “dear wife” now in process of being tranformed into Dangerous Wife, perhaps Deadl Wife. Stay armed and carry on. Don’t forget, that when you D encounter that bad guy trying to do bad things, and subdue him to await hus just rewards, make sure you exlain to HIM the different stages of “nuts”. He will realise he was somewhere between just plain nuts and no… Read more »

3l120
3l120
12 days ago

Think you missed some. Walnuts are when your aim is really off, peanuts are when you castrate the bad guy, hazelnuts are when you drop a bandida, cashews are when you sneeze while firing, usually leading to a walnut, and Brazil nuts are when you use a Taurus.

james
james

Always liked the 92 series, buds had some for $299 and jumped on it.
Most likely a security guard service weapon, holster wear only.

Earlier model with mag release at the bottom, no big deal.
Uses Genuine Beretta magazines available from Midway p/n C86021 under $20 each
will fit the 92S and newer models. Notch for mag release in both places.