Canada’s Latest Gun Ban is Doomed To Fail – Spectacularly

(Photo from licensed Shutterstock account Lee Williams).
(Photo from licensed Shutterstock account Lee Williams).

Canada – To legally own a firearm, citizens must first complete government-approved firearms training.

They can then apply in writing for a federal gun license, which has its own hazards. The application process requires citizens to list every “conjugal relationship” they have had in the past two years. Of course, any previous sexual partner can stop the entire firearm application cold. And then there’s a massive and invasive background check.

Any American gun owner would scream just at this, but for gun-owning Canadians, things may soon get a whole lot worse.

The Canadian government has been struggling to implement a complex, convoluted national gun confiscation plan, which is supported by only one of its 10 provinces and three territories—Quebec.

The confiscation plan was first announced in 2020 by Canada’s famously flamboyant former prime minister, Justin Trudeau, who quickly divorced his wife after leaving office last year and started dating American songstress Katy Perry.

Trudeau’s “plan,” for lack of a better word, is a crazy amalgamation of liberal ideals—there were once more than a dozen government websites both touting and explaining the ban.

As it stands now, the Canadian government calls its national confiscation plan a gun buyback. Of course, they don’t guarantee any Canadian dollars for anyone who participates and actually turns in their arms.

“Please note that submitting a declaration does not guarantee you will receive compensation,” one of the government’s websites actually states.

It’s not too difficult to guess exactly what Canada’s liberal government wants to ban. Since 2020, they’ve compiled a list of 2,500 specific firearm models they are seeking to make illegal. ARs of all types, of course, top the list.

In 2026, Canadians have until March 31 to file firearm declarations through a federal government website. Those who fail to meet the deadline will lose legal amnesty for possession of a banned firearm as of October 30, according to the site.

The Canadian government actually tested a pilot program last fall in a small area of Nova Scotia.  They expected that residents would turn in around 200 banned firearms.

Instead, only 16 people took part and surrendered only 25 guns.

Canada’s Public Safety Minister, Gary Anandasangaree, who has been overseeing the new gun-ban program, has a habit of not watching his mouth.

At a news conference last week, Anandasangaree warned the public that “the compensation program is voluntary, but compliance with the law is not.”

However, during a radio interview just four months ago, Anandasangaree told a friend that he “shouldn’t worry about being arrested for refusing to turn in a banned firearm because municipal police have few resources to devote to such matters.”

Later the minister quickly issued a press release, describing his own comments as “misguided.”

Canadian gun owners are somewhat optimistic because their government’s gun ban plan is so complex and confusing. One pro-gun Canadian website— TheGunBlog.cabelieves they may be in the clear, and that the gun ban may not even happen.

“After more than five years of work, all they have is a website,” the site published.

Compensation

The Canadian government needs 52 pages to list the firearms it has banned and the amounts it will supposedly pay if the guns are turned in.

Quite frankly, the list is a mess. Evidently, its authors have never heard of alphabetical order. The firearms are listed in order of what the government will supposedly pay for the guns when they’re turned in. If anyone actually wants to see what the government will pay for their own firearms, good luck. You likely won’t find it on their confusing list.

The compensation, which even the Canadian government says is not guaranteed, starts low at $150 Canadian dollars offered for a full-auto submachine gun known as a GM-16. It ends at $9,945 with a list of CheyTac and other precision rifles, which cost much more.

Hundreds (maybe 1000’s) of firearm models have no government price listed. Instead, users are told to call the program’s contact center for information about what the government will pay. This unpriced list includes bolt-action rifles such as the Weatherby Mark V and even Smith & Wesson’s M&P 15-22.

Takeaways                       

One thing about the Canadian gun ban is crystal clear: No one who knows anything about firearms participated in creating the program.

While we in the States may giggle about what the Canadian gun owners are going though, it’s certainly not recommended.

Our Second Amendment needs continuous safeguarding and constant oversight, or we too could someday be told to turn in our firearms. Four years of the Biden regime made this crystal clear.

This story is presented by the Second Amendment Foundation’s Investigative Journalism Project and wouldn’t be possible without you. Please click here to make a tax-deductible donation to support more pro-gun stories like this.


About Lee Williams

Lee Williams, who is also known as “The Gun Writer,” is the chief editor of the Second Amendment Foundation’s Investigative Journalism Project. Until recently, he was also an editor for a daily newspaper in Florida. Before becoming an editor, Lee was an investigative reporter at newspapers in three states and a U.S. Territory. Before becoming a journalist, he worked as a police officer. Before becoming a cop, Lee served in the Army. He’s earned more than a dozen national journalism awards as a reporter, and three medals of valor as a cop. Lee is an avid tactical shooter.

Lee Williams

DeStefano Flown to New York City, Prepping for Court Hearings

Wolford v. Lopez: Why the Supreme Court’s Latest 2nd Amendment Case Risks Missing the Real Threat

Subscribe
Notify of
14 Comments
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
DDS

“Our Second Amendment needs continuous safeguarding and constant oversight, or we too could someday be told to turn in our firearms.”

However, unlike some of our cousins around the globe, American’s have proven time and again to be notoriously stubborn about refusing to do what we’re told.

“Defy, resist evade smuggle!” — Mike Vanderboegh

Rogue1

Americans will never give up their firearms. Some will turn them towards authoritarians demanding confiscation…some will just hide them. At least Alberta is working toward becoming an independent nation, free of the lefty lunatics in Ontario. Those who value the Constitution here will likely have to do likewise soon.

Bigfootbob

I don’t see anything amusing about what the Canucknuckleheads are going through. I don’t want to sound like I’m blaming the victim, however this problem is self inflicted by wanting to be wards of the state and electing evil leftist totalitarian politicians and the good people not voting. Collectively they haven’t learned a damn thing considering they elected Mark Carney. Talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. The lot of them excluding Alberta and a handful of citizens are too damn lazy and stupid to ever be welcomed as our 51st state, not that it was… Read more »

swmft

we need to collect a bunch of state trash and send them to fight in ukraine sticks and clubs ,if they worked as leos white flags and petroleum jelly with sand

Get Out

Canada may want to rethink its gun confiscation program of firearms and reissue the firearms back to their owners.

Canada plans for US invasion scenario as Trump posts ‘takeover’ map: reportAs Trump hints at making Canada the ‘51st state’, a report reveals a theoretical defence strategy to resist US forces if necessary.Canada plans for US invasion scenario as Trump posts ‘takeover’ map: report | South China Morning Post

Ledesma

Listing previous relationships. See, that’s how it’s done. You make something such a hardship, such a hassle, such a strain, such a pain in the back that everybody simply walks away.