Today is Tuesday, July 22, 2014rss RSS feed

By Evan F. Nappen, Attorney at Law

I survived the assault weapon ban

101 Reasons Why You NEED an “Assault Weapon”

Evan Nappen

Evan Nappen

Eatontown, NJ --(Ammoland.com)-  When I was Counsel to the NJ Coalition of Sportsman I wrote this piece for the April, 1991 issue of the THE GUARDIAN which was the group’s newsletter.

It was later published by Harper’s magazine. Here is an updated version as the issue is being pushed again by the blood dancing anti-gunners.

A question we are all tired of hearing in the so-called “debate” over so-called “assault weapons” is, “why does anybody need one?” Here is the answer once and for all.

You need an assault weapon—

• 1. to help continue the American tradition of citizen/soldier.
  • 2. for recreation.
  • 3. to collect military small arms.
  • 4. to get quick extra shots at more game while hunting.
  • 5. to get quick extra shots at the same game while hunting.
  • 6. for more fun plinking.
  • 7. to defend yourself against a street gang.
  • 8. to defend yourself against mob violence.
  • 9. to defend yourself against looters.
  • 10. to shoot in a Civilian Marksmanship Program competition.
  • 11. to shoot in an “Action Rifle” or “Practical Rifle” target match.
  • 12. to assist the police in an emergency (e.g. 1966 Texas Tower Sniper incident, citizens assisted with M1′s).
  • 13. to help defend the country from a foreign invasion.
  • 14. to help defend the country from an internal takeover.
  • 15. to help the firearms industry remain economically strong.
  • 16. to pay the federal tax on guns that goes to aid wildlife.
  • 17. to encourage further research into new firearm technology.
  • 18. to save time while shooting.
  • 19. to have increased reliability in functioning.
  • 20. to have a longer lasting firearm.
  • 21. to have a less costly/ more affordable firearm.
  • 22. to have an easier to manufacture firearm.
  • 23. to have an easier to repair firearm.
  • 24. to have an easier to take apart and clean firearm.
  • 25. to have a more versatile firearm.
  • 26. to own a highly weather resistant firearm.
  • 27. to appreciate the evolution of firearm technology.
  • 28. to defend your business.
  • 29. to defend your home.
  • 30. to defend your boat.
  • 31. to defend your camp.
  • 32. to defend your ranch.
  • 33. to defend your farm.
  • 34. to defend your family.
  • 35. to have reduced recoil when shooting.
  • 36. as an investment.
  • 37. as a military souvenir.
  • 38. as a hedge against inflation.
  • 39. because criminals statistically prefer revolvers over all other firearms.
  • 40. to have a more psychologically intimidating firearm. (often the mere presence of a firearm will stop a crime)
  • 41. to own a firearm least likely to be used in a crime. (less than 1% are assault firearms.)
  • 42. to own a firearm which purposely functions slower than other firearms thereby reducing recoil. (e.g. Remington 1100.)
  • 43. to own a firearm used in Olympic competition.
  • 44. to appreciate the mechanical genius of firearm designers.
  • 45. to have a firearm which uses external magazines.
  • 46. to shoot at the National Matches at Camp Perry.
  • 47. to reject anti-gun bias.
  • 48. to challenge “Big Brotherism”.
  • 49. to protect yourself against a pack of feral dogs.
  • 50. to own a firearm better for the physically handicapped.
  • 51. to save all firearms by not giving in to “salami” tactics.
  • 52. to do trick shooting (e.g. multiple aerial targets).
  • 53. to shoot military ammunition. (Inexpensive surplus)
  • 54. to be part of an armed populous, creating a tactical disadvantage for any potential enemies.
  • 55. to familiarize yourself with your country’s military rifle.
  • 56. to familiarize yourself with a foreign country’s military rifle.
  • 57. because they are interesting.
  • 58. to hang on your wall.
  • 59. to shoot clay targets.
  • 60. to shoot paper targets.
  • 61. to shoot Metallic Silhouettes.
  • 62. to exercise your constitutional rights.
  • 63. to exercise a natural right.
  • 64. to exercise a civil right.
  • 65. to exercise a fundamental right.
  • 66. to exercise an inalienable right.
  • 67. to exercise a human right.
  • 68. to defend yourself after a New York City-type blackout.
  • 69. to defend yourself against a Miami-type riot.
  • 70. to defend yourself after a St. Croix-type hurricane in which both officers and escaped prisoners have run amok.
  • 71. to avoid a “Tiananmen Square” in the U.S.
  • 72. to own a firearm in common use and therefore protected under the Heller decision.
  • 73. to protect livestock from predators.
  • 74. to show support for political ideals of the founding fathers.
  • 75. to own a firearm designed to wound rather than kill (according to the Dir. Of the Wound Ballistics Laboratory).
  • 76. to own a firearm not readily convertible to full automatic.
  • 77. to own a firearm with that “shoulder thingy that goes up.”
  • 78. to own a “state-of-the-art” firearm (e.g. FN SCAR).
  • 79. to own a “turn-of-the-century” firearm (e.g. Borchardt).
  • 80. which is more pleasant to shoot (lighter and less recoil).
  • 81. because all of your other firearms will be banned next.
  • 82. to own a firearm which is difficult to conceal.
  • 83. to own a firearm which the media glamorizes.
  • 84. to own a firearm which might be banned.
  • 85. to own a firearm which is banned.
  • 86. to own a firearm that is no frills and practical in design.
  • 87. to own on of the most mechanically-safe firearms. (e.g. Uzi).
  • 88. to own a firearm that is a “work of art”.
  • 89. to own a Valmet M-76 which the BATF says has no sporting use.
  • 90. to own a Valmet Hunter which the BATF says has sporting use.
  • 91. to own a firearm that made history (e.g. M-1 Carbine).
  • 92. to shoot a firearm that made history.
  • 93. to own a firearm that can be dropped and still function.
  • 94. to own a firearm that can be coated in mud and still function.
  • 95. to own a firearm that can be dunked in water and function.
  • 96. to own a firearm that can be frozen solid and still function.
  • 97. to own a firearm that can be buried in sand and still function.
  • 98. to be a prepared member of the unorganized militia as defined in the US Code (10 US Code Sect. 311 (a)).
  • 99. to distinguish between an object and its misuse.
  • 100.because you believe in freedom.
  • 101.if YOU say you need one. In America, an individual’s need should not be determined by the state. There are approximately 100 million firearm owners in the country. That’s 100 million more reasons for owning any firearm.

About:
Evan Nappen (www.EvanNappen.com) is a criminal defense attorney who has focused on New Jersey firearms and weapons law for over 23 years. He is the author of the New Jersey Gun Law Guide. Visit his website at www.EvanNappen.com

Ammoland Click to read AmmoLand FTC Marital Disclosures Distributed to you by - AmmoLand.com – The Shooting Sports News source.
  • 59 User comments to “101 Reasons Why You NEED an “Assault Weapon””

1. Scott Connors on July 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM said:

102. To drive the philosophical and intellectual descendants of Carrie Nation and the Prohibitionists to apoplexy.

2. Steve Mitchell on July 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM said:

I Like! that is why I am buying another AR-15

3. I was kind of expecting the most important reason, but didn’t see it listed. Namely Jefferson’s admonition in the Declaration of Independence for the citizenry to ‘throw off’ a tyrannous government and erect a new one in its place that secures the liberties of the people. How are we to respond to the Founder’s admonition to us if we are denied the most effective small arms of the time period in question?

4. Tango7 on July 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM said:

103. To keep the tradition of your Minuteman ancestors (genealogical or spiritual) alive in being able to “answer the call” should said call ever come.

5. 104. Because “Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God” (- with thanks to Thomas Jefferson for that timeless insight).
      105. To Live Free or Die – because having an ‘assault weapon’ to resist tyranny is preferable to dying, but dying is preferable to subsisting as an unfree subject to a despotic ruler(s).
      106. Because my church is not BATF approved, and has already been confused or conflated with another church that has been burned down by the agency known as “Burn All Toddlers First”.
      107. To defend ourselves against a government that’s increasingly hostile to everyone who loves liberty and the Constitution: A government that has already sent agents to my home to warn if I don’t shut up, that my family would be brutally murdered (I’m not making this up and I’m not the only one). [If you know someone who has been similarly threatened, have them contact me.]

6. Carolyn "Barrel Shroud" McCarthy on July 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM said:

I’m dissapointed that I only made #77 on the list with my barrel shroud.

7. KennyB on July 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM said:

We ought to obey God instead of man.

8. karl knudson on August 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM said:

its nice to see a few people are intune,and i do believe that it is in alinement with GODS will to defend our right to worship him,and id rather die shooting than being forced into a guilotene, im thinkin, at least you will be dieing for this great countrys freedom,that way id feel like my death would not be in vain, ive pretty much accepted the fact that im gona die purdy soon when this sheet lets go

9. [...] so-called assault weapon suits the need of the moment in many circumstances.  Evan Nappen gives us 101 more reasons to own an assault weapon.  But I want to return to the issue of tyranny for a [...]

10. WOW amazing list! Here is one from me:
      110: Because it’s so great to just look at it, hold it, shoot it and brag about it to your friends.

There are some really great points here but to me it really comes down to – EFFECTIVELY protecting your family/home/yourself/your property from whoever, whenever – particularly in situations when a simple gun wouldn’t help much..

11. for a zombie appocolipse

12. This is such an informative list. I grew up around guns, shot them, and respect the hell out of them.

I didn’t know that no other guns could be used for shooting clay targets, are interesting, or suitable for hanging on walls.

RE: reasons #s 91 & 92: If you own or have shot a Bushmaster, then you must be thrilled to pieces that you’re affiliated with such a special piece of history that killed 20 children yesterday. (I know what you’re going to say: “But, but, but…guns could’ve protected those kids! They should’ve been armed!”

Thanks for the weaponry advice for after the blackout. But what kind of weapon do I need DURING a blackout, by the way?

I have several friends and family members who are cops — civilians showing up with guns so they can “help” is not advisable. (One would think an attorney’d know that. Then again, he advocates that a banned weapon is reason enough that we “NEED” assault weapons.)

I’m sure most of you are responsible gun owners and am not saying people who own guns are bad. I’m saying that the “NEED” for assault weapons is not worth more lives being lost.

If you’d rather see more mass shootings, then carry on. Thanks for your time.

13. janie Mcknight on December 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM said:

Evan, you are one sick bastard.

14. So that your kid can shoot you in the face, and go on to massacre babies…

15. “If you own or have shot a Bushmaster, then you must be thrilled to pieces that you’re affiliated with such a special piece of history that killed 20 children yesterday.”

I doubt we’ll be seeing that one again. It has exactly nothing to do with the millions of rifles that weren’t used to hurt innocent people. Logic is not your strong suit.

16. In Texas all my friends have at least one AR15 ! My favorite is my LMT w/10.5 SBR !

17. Janie,you are one libturd bitch !

18. Pablo Pancho,the Bushmaster was found in the trunk,not used !

19. I am not saying if assault rifles should or should not be banned. I know I have 2 that I use for recreational purposes. I do think it is worth some further research. My question is that with the number of people killed by guns in general in 2010 was less than 9000 and over 10000 were killed by drunk drivers. While neither numbers are acceptable why are we so dedicated to eliminating or controlling firearms and not about reducing the number of DUI deaths? There are options to reduce drinking related deaths such as increasing the drinking age, control devices on cars or increasing the age for getting a license since over 35% are contributed to drivers under 26 just to name a few off the top of my head. Like firearms I am not saying we should get rid of cars but do more to eliminate the misuse of them. Again I am not saying assault rifles should or should not be banned I am saying if we are going to do something about reducing innocent people getting killed by reckless people we should look at all avenues because living in a safe environment should be everyones goal.

20. Actually, the Bushmaster was the gun he used to shoot everyone, excluding himself. He put the bullet through his head with the Glock.

21. Joe – that argument really is irrelevant. We are working to fight drunk driving deaths. Sure, more could be done but that doesn’t mean we should turn a blind eye to excessive gun ownership.

I did not see any reason why a person “needs” an assault type weapon, but rather why they “want” one. Ultimately, do you want it so badly you are willing to turn a blind eye to murdered children? No one is proposing to take guns away, but it doesn’t hurt to take a look at sensible reform. Just because the status quo isn’t perfect and the solution takes time–doesn’t mean we need to keep doing the same things that aren’t working.

22. Also – are we not acting to make cars safer? They are much safer these days. Laws were passed limiting teens ability/freedom to drive, but no one cares because they’re kids so their rights don’t matter I guess?

Gun rights supporters really disservice their cause by not being able to engage in a rational, common-sense discussion…

23. Flatlandr on December 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM said:

I’m not particularly worried about renewed “assault weapons” legislation. History has proven that legislation like that only last as long as the political winds blow its way. We are obsessed with guns as a culture and I am not embarrassed to say that at all. I feel for the families of the people that are killed by these lunatics. But that’s just it, you can’t stop crazy. Crazy people have a knack for finding ways to do unexpected things without warning. That is why we call them crazy. Reactionary thinking is not going to reduce these types of events. At best it will only make them more sensational and add to the allure for the murderous insane. The truth is there is nothing that can be done to stop it short an armed guard at every corner of the nation. And to those of you who think this list is a joke, go be a Syrian for a week.

24. Well said Flatlandr. Punishing the many for the sins of the few always results in resentment. Isn’t it amazing that every time something bad happens to this country the feds solution is to take away another constitutional right.

25. @johnnyB…the M1 Carbine from WWII is on the ban list. Why do I want one? Because it is american history and should be preserved. If you can’t understand that then go collect Hummels. What serious law abiding tax paying citizens collect really isn’t anybody’s business and note I said law abiding.

26. Freedom Warrior on December 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM said:

Reason 102: We are the “first responders” and the police are the “second responders” – “when seconds matter, the police are minutes away”. I need the same rifle, magazines, and accessories that the second responders show up with in order to be effective as a first responder. Put a trained first responder in every school tomorrow and the carnage will stop (see Israel). Discuss it ad infinitem in legislative committees, and the carnage will continue ad infinitem!

27. 101 Reasons Why You NEED an Assault Weapon on December 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM said:

[...] [...]

28. 102. So everybody may continue shooting each other and killing children, all the while being blind enough to think this means Liberty and Patriotism.

29. Pablo:

“If you’ve ever driven a Ryder truck, bought fuel or fertilizer, then you must be thrilled to pieces that you’re affiliated with Tim McVeigh, a special piece of history that killed 19 children in OKC.

30. Why is everyone looking to restrict gun ownership? He stole those guns after he was denied the purchase of one legally. I live in Alaska where the gun to people ratio is 7 to 1. You can conceal carry without a permit. with almost 300k people in my city of Anchorage, we had 18 homicides, all had previous criminal histories. Making the “shootings” from legal gun owners 0%. Maybe along with mental health and secure schools, we should look at “true” rehabilitation programs of criminals in our prisons and stricter gun laws on those who stole, did not register and possess firearms when on parole or a felon.

31. Why Does Anyone Need on December 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM said:

To everyone asking “why anyone would need a such-and-such weapon”; I would answer that it’s because you asked that question in the first place. It’s not a Bill of Needs. It’s the Bill of Rights.
      Would you ask why blacks and women need to be able to vote too?
      Why would anyone in Colorado and Washington need to smoke weed?
      Are you also planning to ticket me because the guy in front of me was speeding?

I’m sure they’ll be lots of snappy comebacks from the trolls but I don’t mind that.
      Rest assured that I will defend your right to freedom of speech for as long as I’m allowed the tools necessary to do so.
      After that, you’re on your own.

32. Do you REALLY think that you would last for more than a couple of minutes against a squad of trained soldiers when the tyrannical gubmint decides to do whatever it is that you think they’re going to do?
      An American Tiananmen square? My god, you people are delusional.
      Basically, you want one for the same reason dogs lick their balls: because they can.

33. I need it because I said so. I’m a citizen, not a subject. I am a part of the militia, just like every other citizen. Therefore I need a personal weapon that is capable of being used in battle. The AR-15 uses mostly the same parts as the military variant, therefore repair can be completed by military armorers should the need arise. Most lowers can accept an m-16 trigger group, also installed by said armorers. It can accept military ammunition, and military magazines. The second amendment exists for this very reason. The populace must remain armed with battle-ready weapons should the need ever arise. Flame on libs, I ignore retards anyway. Gun banners are always reactionary and hysterical. I’ve never seen a logical argument in favor of banning weapons. Hell, gangbangers still use full auto weapons even though they’re banned, so why can’t I buy one? Makes sense, right?

34. bill stagemeyer on December 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM said:

I have seen so many times…the ar15 was found in the trunk of the car…the kid never used it..so ..if the victims were killed like the coroner said…then there was a second shooter..eye witness accounts from the surviving children says that as they passed the police there was a man on the ground in handcuffs…also what about the man in the woods wearing camp……?this whole thing is sad but nothing adds up…..fishy….

35. Harry A. Fullerton on December 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM said:

I saw your comments so here is mine!FORTIETH CONGRESS. sess.II Ch. 249,250 1869 This and the Nevada superior court common law venue this set me free. I have all info if you need anything. Retired Chief Justice 3 yr. retired Harry A. Fullerton

ii

36. @ dave: Here’s the only reason you need smartass. Its none of your business what anyone owns.

37. Let me know when the president tells the Secret Service not to carry guns around his children or even himself!

38. Allowing assault weapons isn’t working. They will be banned. Get over it. My right not to send my kids to school safely trumps your right to compensate for your lousy aim. I’m loving watching the NRA implode though.

39. Well hate to disappoint ya Mr. Eric (not really) but don’t you think 30+ million semi-auto weapons owners are going to take exception to your wish? And what about the U.S. Congress…??? Or is your commie buddy obama the supreme law of the land now? Pesky Constitution just keeps getting in the way doesn’t it?

40. Dave, before you go underestimating your fellow citizens against ” a squad of trained soldiers”, you must remember that there are a hell of lot more former trained soldiers that still know what to do, and some of those are battle hardened. Just wanted to remind you of that.

41. You’re a very funny man.

42. 102. Because your ass itches and you don’t need to explain to some guy pushing pencils as to why you feel the need to protect yourself, loved ones, and property against criminals that don’t seem to understand 29 warning shots.

Oh, and I’ll pay you $20 for a t-shirt with that picture. I’ll pay in cash or Target gift cards. It’s all I got.

43. I honestly can’t tell if this is satire or not. that scares me.

44. Bingowings on December 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM said:

102. to use as an unusual (and kinky) anal sex toy.
      103. to protect AMERICUH! against an invasion by the inhabitants of Monster Island.
      104. to look like an inbred, mentally deficient, goon.
      105. to shoot yourself in the head when black, homosexual, jewish, left-handed, actors take over AMERICUH!

45. As far as I am concerned there is only one reason to own an assault rifle: Revolution against an oppressive government.

46. [...] Here ya go, @tubig . 101 reasons why anyone would NEED an assault rifle You need an assault weapon— •1. to help continue the American tradition of citizen/soldier. •2. for recreation. •3. to collect military small arms. •4. to get quick extra shots at more game while hunting. •5. to get quick extra shots at the same game while hunting. •6. for more fun plinking. •7. to defend yourself against a street gang. •8. to defend yourself against mob violence. •9. to defend yourself against looters. •10. to shoot in a Civilian Marksmanship Program competition. •11. to shoot in an “Action Rifle” or “Practical Rifle” target match. •12. to assist the police in an emergency (e.g. 1966 Texas Tower Sniper incident, citizens assisted with M1′s). •13. to help defend the country from a foreign invasion. •14. to help defend the country from an internal takeover. •15. to help the firearms industry remain economically strong. •16. to pay the federal tax on guns that goes to aid wildlife. •17. to encourage further research into new firearm technology. •18. to save time while shooting. •19. to have increased reliability in functioning. •20. to have a longer lasting firearm. •21. to have a less costly/ more affordable firearm. •22. to have an easier to manufacture firearm. •23. to have an easier to repair firearm. •24. to have an easier to take apart and clean firearm. •25. to have a more versatile firearm. •26. to own a highly weather resistant firearm. •27. to appreciate the evolution of firearm technology. •28. to defend your business. •29. to defend your home. •30. to defend your boat. •31. to defend your camp. •32. to defend your ranch. •33. to defend your farm. •34. to defend your family. •35. to have reduced recoil when shooting. •36. as an investment. •37. as a military souvenir. •38. as a hedge against inflation. •39. because criminals statistically prefer revolvers over all other firearms. •40. to have a more psychologically intimidating firearm. (often the mere presence of a firearm will stop a crime) •41. to own a firearm least likely to be used in a crime. (less than 1% are assault firearms.) •42. to own a firearm which purposely functions slower than other firearms thereby reducing recoil. (e.g. Remington 1100.) •43. to own a firearm used in Olympic competition. •44. to appreciate the mechanical genius of firearm designers. •45. to have a firearm which uses external magazines. •46. to shoot at the National Matches at Camp Perry. •47. to reject anti-gun bias. •48. to challenge “Big Brotherism”. •49. to protect yourself against a pack of feral dogs. •50. to own a firearm better for the physically handicapped. •51. to save all firearms by not giving in to “salami” tactics. •52. to do trick shooting (e.g. multiple aerial targets). •53. to shoot military ammunition. (Inexpensive surplus) •54. to be part of an armed populous, creating a tactical disadvantage for any potential enemies. •55. to familiarize yourself with your country’s military rifle. •56. to familiarize yourself with a foreign country’s military rifle. •57. because they are interesting. •58. to hang on your wall. •59. to shoot clay targets. •60. to shoot paper targets. •61. to shoot Metallic Silhouettes. •62. to exercise your constitutional rights. •63. to exercise a natural right. •64. to exercise a civil right. •65. to exercise a fundamental right. •66. to exercise an inalienable right. •67. to exercise a human right. •68. to defend yourself after a New York City-type blackout. •69. to defend yourself against a Miami-type riot. •70. to defend yourself after a St. Croix-type hurricane in which both officers and escaped prisoners have run amok. •71. to avoid a “Tiananmen Square” in the U.S. •72. to own a firearm in common use and therefore protected under the Heller decision. •73. to protect livestock from predators. •74. to show support for political ideals of the founding fathers. •75. to own a firearm designed to wound rather than kill (according to the Dir. Of the Wound Ballistics Laboratory). •76. to own a firearm not readily convertible to full automatic. •77. to own a firearm with that “shoulder thingy that goes up.” •78. to own a “state-of-the-art” firearm (e.g. FN SCAR). •79. to own a “turn-of-the-century” firearm (e.g. Borchardt). •80. which is more pleasant to shoot (lighter and less recoil). •81. because all of your other firearms will be banned next. •82. to own a firearm which is difficult to conceal. •83. to own a firearm which the media glamorizes. •84. to own a firearm which might be banned. •85. to own a firearm which is banned. •86. to own a firearm that is no frills and practical in design. •87. to own on of the most mechanically-safe firearms. (e.g. Uzi). •88. to own a firearm that is a “work of art”. •89. to own a Valmet M-76 which the BATF says has no sporting use. •90. to own a Valmet Hunter which the BATF says has sporting use. •91. to own a firearm that made history (e.g. M-1 Carbine). •92. to shoot a firearm that made history. •93. to own a firearm that can be dropped and still function. •94. to own a firearm that can be coated in mud and still function. •95. to own a firearm that can be dunked in water and function. •96. to own a firearm that can be frozen solid and still function. •97. to own a firearm that can be buried in sand and still function. •98. to be a prepared member of the unorganized militia as defined in the US Code (10 US Code Sect. 311 (a)). •99. to distinguish between an object and its misuse. •100.because you believe in freedom. •101.if YOU say you need one. In America, an individual’s need should not be determined by the state. There are approximately 100 million firearm owners in the country. That’s 100 million more reasons for owning any firearm. Read more at Ammoland.com: 101 Reasons Why You NEED an "Assault Weapon" [...]

47. Excuse me fellows,but you see the constitution is the supreme law of the land.There’s this little clause at the end of the second amendment that says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed keeps getting in you gun grabbers way.Ha Ha you! Seriously though,No one should lose any rights because of what someone else does.If that be the case,no ones rights are safe.Our founding fathers wrote a constitution to keep people free from tyranny, and the second amendment to enforce the constitution.The militia is the peoples army, and they need assault rifles.Now everyone should know why we the people need an assault rifle.

48. Ha!

This is supposed to be serious? It reads like poorly thought out irony.

49. NobleExperiments on January 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM said:

102. Because I need a visible penis substitute to go along with my oversized SUV/pickup.

Seriously, you think your AW is going to hold off a foreign invasion or the National Guard? You think you’ll *need* to? Put down the “Red Dawn” DVD (it’s fiction). At the best your list is repetitive nitpicking; at best it’s delusional.

50. Merlin coffee on January 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM said:

I am willing to give up my right to own any semi automatic weapon to keep my children and grandchildren safe. And I believe that they would be safer if they were NOT legal to own.

51. Bob Dole on January 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM said:

Man these reasons SUCK. Then again what can you expect from an NRA turds who can’t come up with any excuses beside “my…my.. RIGHT…wahhh”… because Tinament Squarre!!!

52. Bob Dole,

Once again, you show how uneducated you are by lack of being able to present an adult-like argument. Like the rest of the anti-gun zealots, you resort to name-calling, and childish banter, rather than facts.

53. Several of my ancestors actually fought in militias in the Revolutionary War. Shamefully, the Supreme Court misinterpreted the second amendment to the Constitution (for entirely political reasons), deciding that the clause tying the right to bear arms to the need for well-regulated militias is irrelevant. But they were wrong, wrong, wrong. As the Constitution was written, the right to bear arms depends entirely on the need for well-regulated militias to defend our country (in the absence of a standing army). And that doesn’t mean “militias” of traitorous nutcases who think they need to defend themselves against our legitimately elected government. No one “needs” an assault weapon unless he or she is a traitor, nutcase, or criminal.

54. The leftwing nutjobs posting on this thread is reason enough.

55. Over the last year I’ve given this question a lot of thought and done a lot of research regarding violent crime, home invasions and the like and for me it boils down to one simple reason: it sucks to run out of ammo before the bad guy does.

56. Aerin,

I appreciate your passion. Please consider a little history: legitimately elected government officials once passed an act that allowed a certain chancellor(who had been appointed by a legimately elected president)to exercise dictatorial power without legal objection. The year was 1933, the act was the Enabling Act, and the president was Paul von Hindenburg. Oh and the chancellor was a man named Adolph Hitler.

57. Its so amusing to see the Libs crying about the rights they want to take away from everyone. They seem awfully eager to lay down, and submit themselves to any government that promises to make them safer. It’s too bad that gun bans have proven to do absolutely nothing to make anyone safer from criminals wielding illegal weapons. If laws could help then Chicago would be as safe as DisneyWorld. Even more amusing is the way in which they stomp their feet and scream and curse when they don’t get their way. What ever happened to adults having a mature conversation? Well, I guess Libs fail to qualify as either adults or mature or they’re just unable to converse without the name calling and cursing. Here’s the bottom line; The 2nd Amendment is not going anywhere and it protects my right to own firearms. Because I own firearms, I am able to protect the other rights you enjoy.

58. [...] such a lethal piece of hardware? Evan Nappen, a New Jersey defense attorney, kindly wrote a list of 101 Reasons Why YOU Need an “Assault Weapon” that I will refer to. Some of the reasons, such as “38. as a hedge against inflation,” [...]

59. I hope people aren’t so naive to thank that sandy wasn’t an acted out, played out, false flag.