The Passing of Charlie Cutshaw – Friend and Great Gun Writer
By Laura Burgess Marketing
“Charlie was a great resource of gun knowledge and many of his firearms articles are timeless pieces worth reading by everyone with an interest in shooting sports. He always took the time to speak with us and will be greatly missed, God’s Speed Friend.” – Fredy and Brian AmmoLand
“He was always there for us,” says Laura of Laura Burgess Marketing. “We will surely miss him.”
Charlie was buried at Greenview Memorial (3657 Old Chisholm Road, Florence – (256) 764-2411) in the Veterans section on June 15th.
Charlie was given full police honors with an Honor Guard and motorcade escort to Greenview Memorial.
- Contributing Editor, SWAT Magazine
- Contributing Editor, Harris Publishing.
- Industry Consultant and Small Arms Analyst, Expert Witness
- Lieutenant of Infantry, USA 1964-1967
- Ordnance Ammunition Officer 1967-1979
- Vietnam Service 1969-1970; Bronze Star Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Vietnamese Honor Medal First Class,
- Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, Meritorious Unit Citation
- Civilian Technical Intelligence Officer 1980-1996
- Ground Weapons Systems Analyst in Infantry Weapons of all types, 1988-1990
- Head, U.S. Marine Corps Technical Intelligence Division, 1990-1996
- US National Representative for Small Arms & Infantry Weapons, US/UK/CAN/AUS Intelligence Coordinating Committee.
- National level small arms technical intelligence authority for US Department of Defense
- Regularly briefed US small arms industry and flag rank military officers on foreign small arms developments and technology
- Editor, Jane’s Ammunition Handbook,1996 – 2005
- Co-editor, Jane’s Infantry Weapons, 1996 – 2005
- Citizen Service Award – Florence, Alabama Police Department, 2003
- Reserve Police Officer – Killen, Alabama Police Department, 2002 – present.
- Author, Tactical Firearms of the 21st Century, published March 2006
- Author, The New World of Russian Small Arms and Ammo, detailed reference book on Russian small arms, published September 1998.
- Co-author (with Valery Shilin), Legends and Reality of the AK, published March 2000.
- Co-author (with Dianne Cutshaw) comprehensive major study of firearms, law enforcement and crime in the United States.
- Recognized international authority on small arms and ammunition
- Military and law enforcement technology consultant
- Legal consultant for lawsuits, patents and criminal cases involving firearms issues.
- Industry consultant for emerging technologies and innovative military and law enforcement products
- Firearms and ammunition technology consultant to major news media – both broadcast and print, including CNN, NBC, PBS and many major newspapers.
- Bachelor of Science in History, Spring Hill College, Mobile, AL, 1964
- Master of Science in Strategic Intelligence (Russian Studies), Defense Intelligence College, 1988
- National Shooting Sports Foundation
- Life Member, National Rifle Association
- Life Member, US Army Sniper Association
- US Army Infantry Association
- National 4th Infantry Division Association
- Alabama Tactical Officers’ Association
- Blackwater Alumni Association
- Military Order of The World Wars
- Reserve Police Officers’ Association
In lieu of flowers: Please send donations to one of two of Charlie’s favorite charities. The first charity being ASPCA. Please use the following address of Linda Tiramani, ASPCA Special Giving, 520 8th ave 7th Floor, New York, NY 10018. Please include a note,“in memory of Charles Q. Cutshaw”.
The second charity is Wounded Warrior Project, 4899 Belfort Rd., Ste 300, Jacksonville, FL 32256. Same note as before please.