USA – -(Ammoland.com)- The Scholastic Clay Target Program and Scholastic Action Shooting Program are excited to announce a new event at this year’s National Championships – the Top Gun Challenge.
Over the years we have watched the increase in athletes shooting multiple disciplines in both our programs at nationals. We wanted to find a way to recognize the commitm, nt and stamina these athletes have shown competing in so many events, over the course of the week of nationals.
CZ-USA, a large sponsor of both SCTP and SASP heard us talking about wanting to start some kind of “Top Gun” competition and graciously offered to sponsor the top prize for the winner. CZ-USA will be donating a Shotgun, a Rifle and Pistol to SCTP/SASP andRimfirel be awarding all three prizes to the High Overall Top Gun Challenge competitor.
With CZ’s support here is what we have come up with for the 2018 SCTP/SASP Nationals.
Top Gun Challenge Eligibility Criteria, Scoring and Prizes
- Athletes wishing to compete in the Top Gun Challenge must be current team members in the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) AND the Scholastic Action Shooting Program (SASP).
- Athletes wishing to compete in the Top Gun Challenge must be pre-registered to shoot the following events at the 2018 National Championships:
- 16 Yard Trap
- Sporting Clays
- Rimifre Rifle (irons or optics)
- Centerfire or Rimfire Pistol
- Each athlete wishing to compete in the Top Gun Challenge must complete a registration form in person at either the SASP or SCTP registration desk located at the Cardinal Center Central Entry Building prior to competing in their first event. Athletes will then shoot all competition events as usual.
- We will compile scores from your events and calculate the winners. Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays is easy you will get the total number of birds you break in each discipline, so a possible 600 points. Since SASP is based on time and not total targets hit, it will be done a little differently. We will take all participants and rank both their rifle times and their pistol times fastest to slowest.
- The fastest in each discipline will get 200, second place 199, third place 198 and so on down the line until everyone has a score. We will add all those points together and the athlete with the most points out of the possible 1000 will win.
- Every Athlete who competes in all the events and signs up, will receive a Top Gun Challenge challenge coin just for participating and showing your shooting stamina.
Prizes for Athletes Grade 12 and Under
- 1st prize – CZ USA 612 Target Shotgun, CZ 75 SP01 Phantom Pistol and a 512 American Rifle
- 2nd Prize – CZ Drake 12ga. Over/Under
- 3rd Prize – Certificate for a GLOCK Pistol
- 4th Prize – Mossberg Blaze .22 Rifle
- 5th Prize – Case of Aguila shotgun shells and 1000 rounds of Federal Premium Hunter Match .22 ammo
- 6th Prize – Walker’s electronic hearing protection, Certificate for XX2I glasses
Prizes for Collegiate Athletes
- 1st Prize Mossberg Blaze .22 Rifle
- 2nd Prize Certificate for XX2I Glasses
- 3rd Prize Browning Range Bag
SCTP and SASP want to thank all of our sponsors for their support of our programs and the Top Gun Challenge!
About the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation
The Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation (SSSF) is 501(c)(3) public charity responsible for all aspects of the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) and Scholastic Action Shooting Program (SASP) across the United States. SCTP and SASP are youth development programs in which adult coaches and other volunteers use shooting sports to teach and to demonstrate sportsmanship, responsibility, honesty, ethics, integrity, teamwork, and other positive life skills. SCTP was developed as a program of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) until the SSSF was created in 2007 to operate SCTP. In 2012, SSSF created SASP and became the managing foundation of both programs.