Today is Sunday, April 20, 2014rss RSS feed
Winchester .17 Winchester Super Magnum Cartridge

Winchester .17 Winchester Super Magnum Cartridge

Winchester Ammunition

Winchester Ammunition

East Alton, IL – -(Ammoland.com)- Coyotes, prairie dogs and other varmints, beware.

In 2013, Winchester Ammunition will arm small game hunters with the most revolutionary rimfire cartridge in the company’s almost 150-year history – the .17 Winchester Super Magnum.

The .17 Win Super Mag offers the downrange performance of a centerfire cartridge at only a fraction of the cost. For the first time in history, hunters can expect pinpoint accuracy and devastating performance from a rimfire cartridge at ranges well past 200 yards.

“Our engineers have been developing the top-secret .17 Win Super Mag caliber for more than three years and the rimfire revolution begins now,” said Brett Flaugher, Winchester Ammunition vice president of sales, marketing and strategy. “At 3,000 feet per second it’s the fastest modern rimfire cartridge on the planet. The downrange energy deposited by the .17 Win Super Mag will be a game-changer for varmint and predator hunters everywhere.”

The .17 Win Super Mag will initially be offered in three bullet types: a 20-grain plastic tip in the Varmint HV (High Velocity) line, 25-grain plastic tip in the Varmint HE (High Energy) line and a 20-grain jacketed hollow point in the legendary Super-X line. Each .17 Win Super Mag bullet will far surpass the long-range wind drift and bullet-drop limitations of popular rimfire calibers like .22 Win Mag and .17 HMR, while depositing more than 150 percent more energy than both.

“Part of the appeal of rimfire ammunition to high-volume shooters is the relatively low cost,” added Flaugher. “With the launch of .17 Win Super Mag, now hunters will get the downrange performance of a centerfire cartridge at the more affordable price point of traditional rimfire ammunition. It’s the best of both worlds for our customers.”

.17 Win Super Mag specifications:

Symbol Sub Brand Bullet Weight/Type Muzzle Velocity
S17W20 Varmint HV 20-gr Plastic Tip 3,000 fps
S17W25 Varmint HE 25-gr Plastic Tip 2,600 fps
X17W20 Super-X 20-gr JHP 3,000 fps

Each of the brand-new .17 Win Super Mag symbols will be offered in a 50-round box and 1,000-round case. The ammunition will be available at Winchester dealers by April 2013. For more information on the .17 Win Super Mag, visit Winchester.com in January 2013.

With a company heritage dating back to 1866, Winchester Ammunition was there for the taming of the American West, the Allied Forces’ victory in World War II and through the years, millions of fond memories made in the great outdoors and at the range.

Known as The American Legend, Winchester is a global leader in sporting, law enforcement, military and personal defense ammunition production. Winchester continues to raise the bar with innovative products like Blind Side waterfowl and PDX1 Defender personal defense ammunition.

For more information about Winchester Ammunition, visit www.winchester.com, or connect with The American Legend on Facebook at Facebook.com/WinchesterOfficial.

Ammoland Click to read AmmoLand FTC Marital Disclosures Distributed to you by - AmmoLand.com – The Shooting Sports News source.
  • 22 User comments to “Winchester .17 Super Magnum the World’s Fastest, Most Powerful Rimfire Cartridge”

1. George Harris on January 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM said:

If I currently own a .17 Savage rifle, will I be able to shoot this round in my current firearm?

2. I HOPE SAVAGE CHAMBERS IT IN THEIR MKII 93 LINE. CAN’T WAIT TO SEE WHAT RIFLES WINCHESTER. PUTS OUT IN THIS CALIBER.

3. Kenneth Waggoner on January 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM said:

Well what doses it go in????? Will I need a new rifle? Will it go in one I already own???????

4. Nick Chiarillo on January 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM said:

If look at the illstration, you can see the the new round is longer than the HMR. Therefore. you will need a new rifle for this round. If you reload as I do, it is less expensive to a centerfire and reload it than to shoot these rimfires.

5. I wonder if you could just rechamber your .17 HMR to the new cartridge. A lot less money than buying a new rifle. Then again, any excuse to buy a new firearm is a good reason to buy.

6. Really looking forward to see what rifles will be offered, can’t wait to pick one

7. Jack M Geisz on January 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM said:

I have been reloading for a little over fifty years, from 218 B, 222, 223, 22-250 and Rem 17 just to name a few but I still enjoy my 22 magnums and will get the new 17 Winchester Super Mag, I hope it is available in the Browning T bolt

8. Ron Bittenbender on January 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM said:

This round will be available in a Savage similar to the Model 25. Synthetic Stock, and accu-trigger,

9. charlie smith on January 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM said:

I wonder how it would work with the 25 gr. on big game, deer etc, in a survival situation?
      I doubt it would be as good as a .22 Mag.!
      Hope I am wrong.

10. bruce hopper on January 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM said:

can you give me information on gun mfg’s. that will be available in the .17wsm this year? i know savage is going to be out soon. who else will have a firearm ready? will they all be bolt action, and how many rounds will a clip hold? i know you might not have complete information at this time, but i would like to know as much as possible as soon as possible. hope i’m not asking to much to soon. i do have a .17hmr, and in ohio you can hunt varmits on public land with a rimfire only. so you can understand my excitement.please e-mail as soon as you can.
      yours truly,
      bruce e hopper

11. Terry Webster on January 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM said:

I have a high interest in purchasing one of these,.. WHEN will they be available ?? I’ve been wanting a new varmint firearm to replace my 6.5 Swedish for some time now and this looks like the ticket!
      If someone could reply email me about this I’d appreciate it,..

12. Savage just introduced a new line for this specific round. Highly anticipated, inexpensive to buy and to shoot and a very fast round to reach out to 300yards.

13. No this is only for the B mag gun other fella. But this thing will beat ass(I was at shot show)

14. I would like to know what type of weapon or weapons will be used. To accomadate the 17 super magnum?

15. Larry Sorensen on January 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM said:

I just pre-ordered a Savage B-Mag at Scheels yesterday, they ordered 20 of them, said it would last part April, early May before they arrive. Also, they said that they would have the ammunition by that time also.

16. what will be the price of this new .17 super mag amo?

17. wmmichael20 on February 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM said:

just pre-ordered a b-mag Thursday shop said savage has some rifles ready for shipment just haven’t sent them yet

18. Wally Brogan on February 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM said:

I’ve been thining about buying a .17 rifle. Would it be able to shoot the mag. and other
      .17 rounds.

19. SizeMatters on February 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM said:

The specs for the .17WSM are very different than the .17HMR which is a necked down .22WMR case and yet again different than the .17Mach2 which is a necked down .22LR case. You cannot chamber a .17HMR in a .17HM2 rifle and similarly you cannot chamber a .17WSM in any other .17HM_ rifle. The .17WSM base is larger, the case is .27 (based upon the Winchester 27 calibre nail-gun blank), and the loaded cartridge longer. This precludes use in any existing semi-auto rifles such as the Ruger 10/22 Magnum. I am working on a .17WSM semi-automatic design that eliminates all of the problems associated with blowback design which effectively forced manufacturers to stop making semi-autos in any of the higher-pressure necked-down 17s.

20. I have a Savage 93 MKII and dressed it up with a nice laminated thumbhole stock (very pretty and also helps put the weight back from the heavy barrel) been having a lot of fun with it, like it so much that i will pick up the Savage .17 caliber Winchester Super Magnum rimfire ….there seems to a lot of options out there to dress up and make these guns more functional
      i dont think you can go very wrong for $350 for this new gun when it can shoot @3000fps or even the 2600fps with a 25 grain bullet.

21. Want an AR15 upper in .17 super with a 50 round mag.

22. John Bevers on June 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM said:

Need to know where to get 17 wsm ammo , have savage 17 cal wsm . Got it yesterday