COVID19, Virtue Signaling, and Victimology…

COVID19, Virtue Signaling, and Victimology...iStock-1223872520
COVID19, Virtue Signaling, and Victimology…iStock-1223872520

U.S.A.-(AmmoLand.com)- Virtue-signaling isn't virtuous  …And blurting out, “We didn't know what we didn't know,” is no longer an example of acceptable tautology. Propaganda works.  We typically don’t refer to indoctrination that way any longer.

Today the term “Virtue Signaling” is the path forward.  Window dressing aside, propaganda is as virtue signaling does.  Have you heard any of these recently?  Here are just a few:

• Save Lives
  • Stay Home
  • Flatten The Curve
  • We Are All In This Together
  • Social Distancing

Once a society, or in this case a community accepts this mode of thinking, all kinds of atrocities are possible.  Why?  Because you’re made to feel selfish or you’re ostracized via social pressure.  This compels compliance.  If you think I’m all washed up, you must not have paid any attention to anything going on around you recently.  These folks enjoy asserting victim status at each turn as they rely on your decency to push you into denying your gut response.  Some of them have been highly effective as well.

The real problem here isn’t that the soft-headed among us continue to run their yaps incessantly about things of which they know little, but that they occasionally manage to destroy businesses, futures, and people, all never having taking one iota of responsibility for any of the havoc they bring upon the neighborhood.

Once the dust settles from the covid19 scare, the virtue-signaling protagonists will fall into two camps.

One camp will take the posture, had they not managed to strangle an entire community, state, and nation, that the devastation would have been much worse.  This false premise should scare each of you.  For the moment you hear that response, it truly is the universal “The Ends Justify the Means” defense.  Each time you hear a person blurt out “The Ends Justify the Means” you’ve listened to a disgusting thought, as they have told you in no uncertain terms they truly neither care about you nor do they have any respect for truth.  Any action was apparently necessary for their will to be granted, and aren’t there some things that are off-limits in a civilized society?

The other camp will make the claim they couldn’t predict the future, and someplace over in a dark corner, seated in a little bistro enjoying a cucumber sandwich with a progressive pal, one will utter to the other, “We didn’t know what we didn’t know…”

So…  You’ve got a group of pawns.  Split among them will be people who seek to avoid the truth at all costs, and the others seek to avoid responsibility.  Can you and I inhabit a world void of both truth and responsibility?  There will be some stragglers who read this and work hard to avoid the reality I’m illuminating.  Despite those attempts, their actions, words, posts, and postures will reveal their character.

The question isn’t whether these folks have done this and will do it again, but rather, how long are you willing to allow these voices to manipulate you?  “We didn’t know what we didn’t know” won’t pay your gas bill, your kid’s college, or make the balloon payment on your ranch.

The possibility exists that herd immunization, like it or not, could the path forward.  I’m no different than others in that I’d like to avoid getting or transmitting something.  So, I use ‘best practices’ at every turn.  While I pretty much adhered to those standards before, I benefitted from some shoring up.  I’ve been known to eat a ham sandwich with greasy hands after coaxing my near-worthless Massey Ferguson 165 to start and run.  This was a wakeup call for me to do a better job of washing up thoroughly and being extra careful about what comes out of my snoot.

The mask?  I have relatives and dear friends in emergency management and some in microbiology and virology.  They’re pretty much telling me what I figured.  “Yes masks are fine, and we often tell people to wear them, but that is primarily for the masses that are none too bright coupled with the paranoid among them.  A mask is fine, but it honestly doesn’t do much at all.  And what most masks actually accomplish on a minute scale is what comes OUT of you and not what you take in.”  After fully digesting this information offered me many ways but similar in sentiment over and over, I was led to a couple of conclusions.

First, this thing might just have to run its course.  There is no practical way unless everyone in America agrees to live like a hermit for the better part of a month, to kill this off.  The idea the Mask Brigade offers is fine in notion but kicks the inevitable can down the road.  It simply isn’t going to work.  It hasn’t anywhere else in America, why would your neighborhood be the exception to the rule?

Second, considering what masks do and don’t do, what the Mask Brigade is really telling you is kind of funny when you think about it…  They’re saying they can’t be trusted not to cough on you and they’re not that good at hand washing.  You might as well visualize what I have been for a while now.  When I see a person wearing a mask in a food prep area, I’m pleased – you might not be able to cough into your elbow while sporting raw chicken in one hand and 10” chef’s knife in the other – I get it.  It is a safeguard for others.  When I see a person sitting at a park bench, I chuckle a little.  Especially some guy wearing a mask made out of a T-shirt…  They’re telling you, even though they can’t grasp it, that they can’t be trusted not to sneeze on your face.  Maybe they know something about themselves, but that’s unlikely.  They’re following orders, even if they defy logic, past precedent, and the capabilities of a mask.

The other thing many in the Mask Brigade seem to be?  Living in fear.

I don’t envy them that either.  Some, in truth most, probably believe some of the rhetoric they offer.  Living in fear is a terrible way to inhabit your culture.  I genuinely feel sorry for them.  They want to be taken care of rather than accepting responsibility for themselves.  Compliance is key to their way of thinking.  I too have concerns, but I won’t misplace my fears onto others.  I wouldn’t remove from them their human and basic civil rights to calm my fears, as if forcing them into something could somehow translate into my safety or security.

I truly don’t know how this will play out, but the blame game is tell-tale of the weak of mind.  When they apply this model, they assume, falsely, their version of the moral high ground, chastise you and me, assert their status as victims, and cash in on our guilt.  Not this time.  I’ll do all I can to love and respect my neighbor as a reasonable guy.  But what I won’t do is succumb to the will of those who either know and don’t care, or who willingly pass on the propaganda as if it were the truth.  Shaming your neighbors and stupidly destroying your core as you worship at the alter of the virtue-signaling gods isn’t my idea of Faith, Family, and Community.  All three of which are necessary for America to flourish.

About Michael Ware:Michael Ware

Michael is a Christian husband and father to two children. He owns and operates Controlled Chaos Arms, a premier custom weapons shop in the Midwest. He serves as Chairman of the board of Directors at the Iowa Firearms Coalition. The pursuit of truth drives him in research and his writing.

Michael enjoys shooting, hunting, and fishing throughout the Midwest and Rockies. An avid outdoorsman and tireless supporter of all Second Amendment virtues, he can be found in his gun shop, in a tree stand with his kids, or on Capitol Hill lobbying in support of Freedom and Liberty at any given time.

Patriot Solutions
Patriot Solutions
21 days ago

The tyranny of operation Covid election tampering exposed.

EdDAY_CXkAo238L.jpg
21 days ago

Information from a subject matter expert, a doctor that actually treated COVID-19 patients:

Patriot Solutions
Patriot Solutions

^

EdDUuxNWsAEU06b.jpg
Last edited 21 days ago by Patriot Solutions
Catatonic
Catatonic
20 days ago

Last edited 20 days ago by Catatonic
Knute
Knute
21 days ago

CF is not rational. He was for a few weeks, but I suspected it was too good to last. Whenever it comes to health issues (the named after a beer disease that cannot be named without suffering censorship), he is determined to be the boss of everybody. To all, PLEASE stop feeding this particular troll. IMO, he is mentally unstable about this single issue, and is looking desperately for someone(s) to dominate. And when he doesn’t find it, he ridicules, insults, and whatever else he can find that’s destructive, to dominate the thread. Please, just stop responding to the nonsense.… Read more »

Reply to  Knute

Here we go! I missed you! Thank you for proving my very first post in this thread right. , this is what I was talking about. The Ammoland clown show has arrived! I give you the floor, so you can, once again, derail this discussion thread and dominate it with your personal attacks. I expect no less from you.

Knute
Knute
21 days ago

Half the posts on this thread are yours, and yet you perceive that I’M the one hijacking it?
Clownshoes levels of irrationality, as already stated. 🙂

Patriot Solutions
Patriot Solutions
Reply to  Knute

EdDVsHdXsAAGvy2.png
JPM
JPM
21 days ago

Why are the “authorities” insisting and ordering people to use a device that is not effective in preventing viral infection and lying about its effectiveness? The answer is simple, at least to those who bother to use their brains, some logic, common sense and research hard scientific data.

106501020_3341026585927549_5248780573296675574_n.jpg
Patriot Solutions
Patriot Solutions
Reply to  JPM

EdDVc29WoAAo043.jpg
Beobear
Beobear
21 days ago

Here’s what I don’t understand. Most people with even a basic education understand that most masks aren’t capable of keeping the wearer from inhaling covid. The purpose is to keep those WITH the virus from inadvertently spreading it. Considering that, especially in the early stages, someone with the virus has no idea they have it, it makes sense. To suggest that someone with covid would only spread the virus by not washing their hands and not coughing on other people is just absolute ridiculousness. Simply talking releases enough droplets to spread it. Those droplets remain airborne for a short time… Read more »

Arny
Arny
19 days ago
Reply to  Beobear

Funny those refrigerated trucks weren’t even running during the climax in NYC. I was watching Jason Goodman from Crowdsource the truth He would walk & try to interview Police, doctors, military, etc. He never once wore a mask. And never got sick. You realize people die daily. Where else would you put them when you’re not allowed to bury them ? There’s a lot of elderly everywhere & people with preexisting conditions. They are the INNOCENT that got killed by either lack of care or the wrong care.

21 days ago

True or False: Tear gas affects the eyes?
True or False: Mustard gas affects every piece of your body that is exposed?
True or False: Respirators let all gases go through freely, including O2 and CO2?
True or False: N95 masks are not rated for asbestos use, as they have “only” 95% protection?

If you feel you need protection from something, investigate what type of protective equipment is needed!

21 days ago

I do! I have N95 masks and I am wearing them.

However, since President Trump failed to invoke the Defense Production Act for N95 masks, anyone who needs them and doesn’t already have them is screwed.

So, millions of Americans are put at risk, because the protective equipment they need doesn’t exist and their fellow Americans give a s**t and infect them.

Freedoms exercised irresponsibly kill many Americans each day!

21 days ago

And with that one post, you just put an argument on its head. Does that mean that I can just sneeze and cough at you without covering my mouth during flu season, because it is your responsibility to protect yourself? Cloth or medical masks are just a more efficient way of covering your mouth and not infect everyone else. In other words, it is a more efficient way to do the right thing you would normally do anyway. Unfortunately, doing the right thing and being courteous has become political virtue signaling. I am curious, President Trump is now wearing a… Read more »

21 days ago

You are saying that anyone who wants to protect themselves from this virus is on their own and should not rely on their fellow Americans to help out! If you want to help your fellow Americans not to get sick, wear a mask to stop the spread, just as you would cover your face when sneezing! That’s apparently too much to ask these days. I truly believe that politics could have turned the mask wearing issue the other way around. One party will always oppose what the other party wants. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense or it it… Read more »

21 days ago

I already explained to you that the lack of protective equipment means that anyone who wants to protect themselves simply can not protect themselves. N95 masks to protect themselves are rare, Cloth and medical masks to protect others are abundant.

This has nothing to do with whatever personal attacks you want to launch at those that want to protect themselves. This has all to do with the fact that they simply can’t. Apparently helping fellow Americans is not only out of the question for you, but is now accompanied with belittling for the situation they are in.

Catatonic
Catatonic
20 days ago

Last edited 20 days ago by Catatonic
Arny
Arny
19 days ago

So how’s that mask going to save you ? You need MOPP gear. lol I’ve worked thru this BS from day one in construction with people that travel from all over the world. I’m also high risk. Being a smoker of 40 yrs. I never wore a mask & still don’t. Cause building Court Houses was essential don’t ya know ? LOL I must be one lucky MFer. Funny another journalist videoed walking NYC without a mask everyday exposing the BS. Guess what another lucky MFer. Maybe during the next flu season it will get us after all elections are… Read more »

19 days ago
Reply to  Arny

You are free to believe in whatever you want. I was answering to posts that now have been deleted from this forum. I didn’t know that I need a MOPP suit to protect me from the seasonal flu. Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

21 days ago

Ammoland, your premier source for medical advice, where self-proclaimed Internet experts stand by 24/7 to give you advice on everything there is to know about. We read it on the Internet, so it must be true! We will give you unnamed and unverified sources for all of our information, so you can judge for yourself. We will degrade and belittle anyone who disagrees with our opinion, because we are obviously superior. We will shame everyone who does not follow our advice, because they are clearly stupid. Virtue signaling and politics is our primary objective and we don’t care much about… Read more »

21 days ago

How’s the view up there from the high moral ground?

Far be it from anyone to opine on an online forum, lest we be shunned for being an self-proclaimed expert without ever having uttered those sentiments. Congratulations for riding the middle and always being correct.

Reply to  JW

Thank you for validating my post with a personal attack! Congrats on not understanding sarcasm and on continuing this clown show on Ammoland! Let’s see how low this COVID-19 thread can go. The usual suspects haven’t even replied yet, so we are off to a good start.LOL

21 days ago

So, to hide behind sarcasm with personal attacks is better than mine?

But what’s wrong with having some civil discourse? People have a lot of different opinions on the subject. If we give them on the internet we are some clown show? Whatever. Heck, I even learn things sometimes on here and open my mind to different views.

Reply to  JW

My past experience has been that there is no civil discourse on Ammoland on this topic. I guess you missed every single previous COVID-19 discussion here. I have been relentlessly attacked and trolled for having a different opinion. This has formed my opinion that lead me to my post above. I don’t “hide” behind sarcasm. Sarcasm is the only think I have left and I get attacked by you even for that. LOL So, thank you for proving my point. Here are some points that I have been attacked for: Mask mandates are illegal, but masks work. People that argue… Read more »

Last edited 21 days ago by Charlie Foxtrot
Jeff
Jeff
21 days ago

Here are some interesting facts from the CDC as of July 10, 2020: –         US Population: 329,934,000 –         Documented Covid Cases: 3,106,931 –         Deaths: 132855 This means: –         Only 0.94% (less than 1%) of Americans have even contracted the virus. –         It also means that 95.72% of those survive –         Best of all, only 0.04% (less than half of 1%) have died from the virus; a 99.96% survival rate. In addition, almost half of all Covid deaths have occurred in nursing homes (mostly related to state policies (such as Cuomo in New York) and chronic short-staffing in most nursing homes. THE TAKE-AWAY: Unless you are in a nursing home or… Read more »

Last edited 21 days ago by Jeff
Jeff
Jeff
Reply to  Jeff

Here’s a really interesting article about mask efficacy: https://tinyurl.com/y98mm559

Reply to  Jeff

The hydroxychloroquine treatment only works for those patients that don’t have severe symptoms. It is ineffective for those that have severe symptoms. There are a few credible double-blind randomized controlled trial studies about its effectiveness and a lot about its inefectiveness. Masks work if you know what that means and if you know how to use them. N95 masks protect you significantly from inhaling and exhaling any virus if properly used. Cloth or standard medical masks only minimize the droplets you spit out onto other people or in the air while breathing, speaking, sneezing and coughing. Why were you being… Read more »

Jeff
Jeff
21 days ago

The FDA has approved Chinese made “KN95” masks for health care workers, and therefore the public, and they are available and considerably less expensive.

BUT: You need to check the FDA website for the Chinese manufacturers they have approved since not all meet the requirements, and some are typically “Chinese!”

My suggestion (who cares?) would be to arm those who are at-risk or fearful with N95’s so they could protect themselves, and stop the rest of the insanity. But until the November elections, any common sense is pretty much out the window.

Reply to  Jeff

I am good. I have genuine M3 N95 masks that I bought years ago!

As for your suggestion, that would work, but we don’t have enough N95 masks on the market, hence all that other insanity. It all goes back to the fact that we were ill-prepared and had to make stuff up as we go. Months into this and we are still behind.

That situation won’t change with the November elections! I don’t expect common sense afterwards either. Where is invoking the Defense Production Act for N95 masks?

Reply to  Jeff

PS: As for the Chinese KN95 masks, I don’t trust them. The FDA already pulled several off the market. The current list of approved respirators is here: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-euas. The first search hit for KN95 masks at Amazon.com shows a product from Magicare, which is not on the FDA list. There is just a lot of garbage out there right now.

Reply to  gregs

Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

Transmission of COVID-19 virus by droplets and aerosols: A critical review on the unresolved dichotomy

Scientists Urge Consideration of Airborne SARS-CoV-2 Transmission

Should I trust independent studies by scientists that have been scrutinized and peer reviewed or talking heads on TV with a political agenda? Difficult decision indeed!

Last edited 21 days ago by Charlie Foxtrot
TexDad
TexDad
21 days ago

This is my problem with the Anti-mask Brigade: what’s so hard about wearing a mask? It takes very little effort and is mostly just an exercise in self-discipline to keep it on and not touch it. I agree nether government nor shaming get to tell Americans what to put on our faces. So in the absence of others to make the choice for me, I choose to be a responsible adult instead of a defiant child. Sub-point: test results vary, but the results I used to make my decision showed the ability of a single layer of cotton material to… Read more »

Last edited 21 days ago by TexDad
Reply to  TexDad

To tie into the Ammoland genre…What’s so hard about just having 10 round magazines? What’s so hard about just having a brown wooden shotgun and not a black plastic rifle? What’s so hard about having your name on a list with every firearm you own? What’s so hard about just owning one gun? What’s so hard about a background check on ammo? “What’s so hard” is that phrase is what makes it “hard” for some of us to follow in lock step, especially when the data is controversial. I’m sure you think that is a silly tin foil hat idea,… Read more »

TexDad
TexDad
Reply to  JW

While in the same post I agree that government doesn’t get to mandate that to us and give reasons as to why people would CHOOSE to protect themselves and others rather than do the opposite out of spite, I can with confidence say that that is not a fair comparison.

Reply to  TexDad

Fair enough, But how do you know it’s out of spite? I’m not spiteful toward others, yet I don’t really want to wear a mask. It’s annoying and for every study that shows they’re effective, there is one that shows they are not. I CHOOSE to protect myself based on the threat at hand. I am not threatened by this virus. If you are, I have no problem with you wearing a mask. I will keep my distance. I always do. So, how hard is it? It’s not hard at all. I just don’t want to. Call me spiteful or… Read more »

TexDad
TexDad
Reply to  JW

Don’t tell me you haven’t heard from those folks, ridiculing others for wearing “muzzles” or “freedom suppressors”, not considering the possibility they might have chosen a simple piece of protective equipment willingly. I live in a remote rural community that never really had COVID-19 until recently, other than a barely double-digit case count we only read about in the paper. Now starting about two weeks ago we’re having some fatalities and we all know neighbors or relatives that are infected. People weren’t being careful before it finally really got here, and now they are. Wish we’d have gotten ahead of… Read more »

Reply to  TexDad

Actually I haven’t heard those terms. lol. Makes me chuckle, but I do agree with you there. I’m not that overboard about it. I just really don’t want to.

I just wish people would be honest about the sources. If not wearing a mask at a grocery store will spread it, fine. But don’t tell me that thousands of people marching on the street won’t. Know what I mean?

TexDad
TexDad
Reply to  JW

I do.

Arny
Arny
19 days ago
Reply to  JW

So you wear a mask. Any idea where peoples fingers may have been ? And you touch the same things. Best get yourself a MOPP suit. Only way you may have a chance. What about the things you lean against ? Its now on your clothes. Did you wash your hands after removing your clothes ? Did you remove them outside before you entered your home ? Or did you just come in & hug your wife or kids ? Or maybe just flop down on the sofa ? And what about the items you buy ? See where this… Read more »

Last edited 19 days ago by Arny
gregs
gregs
Reply to  TexDad

how about, this is America, and i don’t want to. it is my choice if i decide to wear one or not. although i live in south florida, generally do not wear a mask unless forced to do so (attending church), i finally after 6 month of this virtual signaling, government control and shutting down the economy know of someone who has the wuhan virus, my wife’s friends who live in ohio. just like everything else, i will decide what is best for me and my family.

TexDad
TexDad
Reply to  gregs

Yeah, just do what you want. That’s way more important than doing something that’s zero skin off your back to protect the weak.

Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.
22 days ago

138k Covid deaths… So far… DURING lock down. How many more dead do you need to admit this is real?

For perspective, total US deaths from 9/11, OEF, and OIF are about 10k.

And we haven’t even started talking about the otherwise young/healthy people that had blood clots and lost a limb or had strokes.

Ammoland, please stop posting partisan virtue signalling and stick to guns and gun rights.

Reply to  Jeremy B.

what does terrorist attack and war casualties have anything to do with perspective on coronavirus deaths? WW2= 400K+ US deaths, Civil War=600k+ deaths. But that perspective doesn’t matter does it because it doesn’t fit your argument. and no one said this isn’t “real”. Maybe some of us are skeptical at the data we are shown because it is always so inconsistent.Some don’t just believe everything we’re told, no matter who is telling us. For starters, try to find in that 138,000 how many died WITH Covid19 versus how many died DUE TO Covid 19. Not saying I’m right and you’re… Read more »

vbirddogs
vbirddogs
Reply to  Jeremy B.

Jeremy, you just supported this author by displaying your ignorance and FEAR!!! The chances of getting covid and dying from it are about .000062543 %. Sorry dude, I’ll take those chances everyday of the weak!! Just so you know, you stand a solid 1% chance of dying every time you get in your car to go somewhere. Put that in perspective. PLUS, we know that a very, very, VERY large percentage of the “deaths” related to covid have nothing to do with covid. Most states don’t even have mandates that require that if a person dies and “covid-related” is put… Read more »

Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.
19 days ago
Reply to  vbirddogs

That’s not quite right. So far about .00043125 of our population have died from it (.04%). But that’s not what an “average” persons chances are of getting it.

Eventually nearly everyone will be exposed without precautions, just like the flu. Then you have closer to 1-3% chance of dying. That’s 3-9 million people in the US.

When 3k people were killed in 9/11 I (and a lot of other people) were sent over seas to avenge and “end terrorism”. Please do the math on 3k deaths versus 3million deaths.

Vince
Vince
Reply to  Jeremy B.

45% of all these deaths were in nursing homes where residents had other developing health issues. In fact, almost all deaths can be attributed to other underlying health issues, stage 4 cancers, AIDS, emphysema etc. Reality is that young people too have health issues. We have all heard of the young youth football player who dies suddenly during practice due to unknown problems. Deaths among healthy people are rare, and in a USA population of 300,000,000 are a mass media effort to install the new profit mantra of “misery and fear sells”.

Truth
Truth
Reply to  Jeremy B.

What is “real” about this COVID-19 is the massive fraud created by the media, over zealous governors, politicians and medical establishment/Big Pharma. The media, government and med establishment ONLY report the increased daily numbers and supposed deaths caused by this virus. The facts are 1) at least 98% of the population are asymptomatic, do NOT experience any illness and “recover”. 2) the reporting of deaths are fraudulently being manipulated to keep the public in constant fear. 3) so-called COVID-19 deaths are lies. There is financial incentives for hospitals to add “death from COVID” to the certificates even when NO testing… Read more »

Reply to  Truth

Good points Truth…and my bet is that this will magically get better the third week of November.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. America is a big country. Everywhere is not NYC. For example in Santa Rosa County FL, (NW panhandle) as of yesterday, we have 1523 confirmed cases (11 deaths total) which is 0.004% of 301,810 Florida cases. We are not South Central Florida. You want to extrapolate the worst case scenario and overlay it everywhere. Do you see how easy it is to be seduced per the author’s narrative?

Last edited 21 days ago by Bob
rexx45
rexx45
Reply to  Jeremy B.

150k people have died average per day world wide in 2017.

AZ Lefty
AZ Lefty
22 days ago

“The real problem here isn’t that the soft-headed among us continue to run their yaps incessantly about things of which they know little”

OK then quit bearing false witness!

China Berry
China Berry
22 days ago

Shaming? You sound pretty good at it.