Bills Will Make CT Citizens Instant Criminals.National Shooting Sports Foundation
NEWTOWN, Conn –-(Ammoland.com)- Let Your Voice Be Heard or Face Banning of Your Rifles and Magazines
Legislators in Hartford are in the process of destroying your Second Amendment rights by exploiting recent tragedies. Gov. Malloy, Sen. Beth Bye, and Rep. Bob Godfrey want outright bans and onerous restrictions on your rights through an enormous number of Anti-Gun Bills.
Here are a few of the items included in one of their proposals:
- An outright ban on ALL modern sporting rifles classifying them as “Assault Weapons.”
- Restricting your ability to defend yourself and family by arbitrarily restricting the magazine size to 10 rounds.
- Confiscating ALL magazines holding more than 10 rounds, pistols included.
- Statewide gun registration for ALL firearms; knowing full well criminals won't ever register their guns.
- Re-registration every 2 years with ever increasing fees.
- Requires permit for any rifle with a pistol grip.
- Limiting how much ammunition you can purchase AND possess.
- Registration of all ammunition purchases.
- Bans internet sales of ammo in Connecticut.
- Mandatory gun storage laws, like the one the U.S. Supreme Court struck down in the Heller decision.
There will only be a few opportunities for discussion and opposition as many in Hartford are trying to pass legislation as quickly as possible. The first hearing (and may be the only time to testify) will occur next Monday, Jan. 28, at 10 a.m. at the Legislative Office Building.
Gun Violence Prevention Working Group Public Hearing
- Monday, Jan. 28, 2013
- Legislative Office Building
- 10 a.m., Room 2C
NSSF is urging all gun owners, sportsmen and hunters to attend Monday's public hearing to be held in the Legislative Office Building in Room 2C at 10 a.m. and to contact their state representative, senator and all members of the Committee immediately, urging them to oppose knee-jerk reaction legislation.
Find your elected officials here.
If this bill passes, law-abiding gun owners will have to begin surrendering their magazines and possibly modern sporting rifles, or face confiscation by the state police and a felony charge. Again, this proposal would make simple possession of a legally owned firearm or magazine a felony.
This draconian measure will also affect non-gun owners as all Connecticut tax payers will be forced to foot the bill for the extraordinary process of having police confiscate — from law-abiding citizens — AND registration databases.
Making matters worse, Connecticut manufacturers including Colt, Mossberg, Stag Arms, Mec-Gar, OKAY Industries, Ruger and Metalform will be directly affected by this legislation. That means a loss of jobs and tax revenue to the state.
Here are a few of the other pieces of legislation under consideration:
- HB 5268, SB140: To require firearm owners to maintain liability insurance and establish a sales tax on the sale of ammunition at a rate of 50 percent and require all ammunition to be purchased in person.
- SB 122: A class C felony offense for any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate, transport, possess or use any gun except one made to fire a single round.
- SB 124: Prohibit the possession of magazines that accept more than ten rounds.
Don't let legislators trample your rights. Let your voice be heard now.
Please contact members of the Task Force listed below. These are the main numbers so please ask for the legislator's office.
- Sen. Martin Looney, Co-chair 860-240-8600
- Rep. Craig Miner, Co-chair 860-240-8700
- Rep. Gerald Fox III 860-240-8500
- Rep. Stephen Dargan 860-240-8500
- Rep. Bob Godfrey 860-240-8500
- Rep. Toni Walker 860-240-8500
- Rep. Rosa Rebimbas 860-240-8700
- Rep. Janice Giegler 860-240-8700
- Rep. Dan Carter 860-240-8700
- Sen. Eric Coleman 860-240-8600
- Sen. John Fonfara 860-240-8600
- Sen. Joan Hartley 860-240-8600
- Sen. John Kissel 860-240-8800
- Sen. Scott Frantz 860-240-8800
- Sen. Tony Guglielmo 860-240-8800
- Sen. Kevin Witkos 860-240-8800
Visit NSSF's Government Relations site at nssf.org/GovRel
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 6,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's organizations and publishers. For more information, log on to www.nssf.org.