USA -(Ammoland.com)- As more and more folks become interested in long range shooting, it was only logical that Bog-Pod would design and introduce their Xtreme Shooting Rest (XSR). The Xtreme Rest is designed to perfectly fit on any Bog-Pod tripod.
However, when installed on the CLD-3S, TAC-3S or HD-3S it will not rotate fully when in prone position. Since most folks won’t be using a tripod for long range shooting in that position, those Bog-Pods work just fine for sitting, kneeling or standing positions.
Hence, you do not need to purchase an additional Bog-Pod to use the XSR.
The Xtreme Shooting Rest (XSR) is constructed from high-strength, but lightweight aluminum. It comes with two specially designed USRs that can be adjusted laterally to fit most rifles.
The two Velcro strips keep the firearm securely locked down on the XSR permitting the shooter to step away if required. When installed on the Bog-Pod RLD-3 tripod, it can be rotated a full 360 degrees for target tracking.
The XSR is 15.5″ long by 2″ wide and weighs in at about 18 ounces and can be easily stored in your backpack. This is a very versatile piece of equipment that can also serve as a bench rest in the field.
However, its primary purpose is to provide a stable platform for long-range shooting or hunting from ground blinds. Once set up and your firearm has been “mounted”, it can remain in a “ready” position until needed. With an MSRP of $69.99, the Xtreme Shooting Rest is a well-priced piece of equipment.
If you do not have a Bog-Pod tripod, the Red Legged Devil Tripod Tall (RLD-3) is the one to purchase for use with the XSR. And, as with all Bog-Pods, it is designed to accept accessories as part of the Switcheroo Shooting System.
Specifications of the RLD-3 tripod are:
- Three-section, high-strength, lightweight aluminum legs with matte black finish
- Universal Shooting Rest (USR) swivels 360°
- Rubber covered to prevent damage to gun stocks
- Rapid-adjust twist locks loosen or tighten legs with just a couple of turns
- Legs adjust independently out to 40° angle with adjustable tension
- Inch markers on middle leg sections help to quickly reach a set height
- Removable rubber feet unscrew to a reveal carbide tip for better grip on ice
- Use in sitting, kneeling, or standing positions.
- Expands from 22″ to 68″ usable height when legs are spread
- Height when closed for carrying is 33″
- Carry bag and Allen wrench included
- Weighs approximately 33 oz.
Purchased separately, the RLD-3 has an MSRP of $129.99 and comes with the Y-shaped Universal Shooting Rest (USR) at no additional cost. If you purchased the USR separately as part of the Bog-Pod Switcheroo attachments it would cost $24.99.
AND, if you do not already have a Bog-Pod tripod, you can purchase the Super Steady Combo for $189.99, which includes:
- Red Legged Devil -3 tripod (with USR included)
- Xtreme Shooting Rest (XSR)
If you decided to get into long range target shooting, this is a piece of equipment that you should consider. If you are considering long range hunting, make sure the caliber of your gun is adequate for the task and remember the slightest breeze can blow your bullet off target at extreme distances.
That results in missed shots or wounded animals, which is why, from a personal viewpoint, we do not endorse long range hunting.
And, before everyone gets too upset, remember, Mary and I have both shot F-Class competition at 1,000 yards and understand the challenges and difficulty of getting on target at extreme ranges.