Rift Over NRA Highlights Fundamental Divide among Gun Owners

Some of us would argue with that. Strenuously. Others would decry that as “NRA bashing.” And the gap is only getitng wider. (NRA Facebook photo)

U.S.A. – -(Ammoland.com)- A recent series of AmmoLand articles reveals deep divisions between Second Amendment advocates and their perceptions of the National Rifle Association. Comments under the articles show emotional divisions among readers, with the vitriol on display one would generally expect to be reserved for gun-grabbers.

I’ve seen some readers complain, they’re tired of reading about this.  Fine by me – there’s a whole Internet out there to occupy yourself with if you’d care to leave. If not, be advised – these are my opinions and if I wanted to be popular I'd be writing about the Kardashians.

I’ve seen some who read an article on this site that defends the NRA and accuse AmmoLand of being their shills. I’ve seen others get angry at criticisms of the Association and accuse AmmoLand of being “NRA bashers.” I’ve seen comment posters dismissed as “Russian bots” and worse.

Anonymity sure emboldens, doesn't it? Most of us are a lot more circumspect in the real world.

Longtime readers of my stuff know I’m in the camp that says criticizing the NRA's leadership statements and decisions is no more an indictment of the association than criticizing a politician as un-American. As the slogan says, “I’m the NRA.” And I reserve the right to criticize when I feel it warranted not only because it’s a duty people of conscience have, but also because I’ve done my part to support the association over the years.

I found over those years that I could be more motivated and thus effective for my own ends working independently of the NRA and without the restrictions that come from representing anyone other than me. Plus, as I became more involved and aware, I found increasingly that I had disagreements with what I was seeing coming out of Fairfax, Virginia.

The small part of my agenda that involves the NRA is motivated by a desire to see the organization reformed. It's certainly no secret that many hard core gun activists are fed up with the Association – or more precisely, its management. Unlike some of them, I don't advocate leaving it – I advocate holding its officers accountable to a constructionist interpretation of the Second Amendment and the Association Bylaws.

It’s no different in principle than holding a politician accountable for fidelity to our Constitution. And unfortunately – or I should say deliberately – those bylaws have not been posted online for all to see, but instead copies must be requested by members.

For those who don’t have a copy, the bylaws define the purposes and objectives of the National Rifle Association of America as:

“To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use firearms in order that the people may always be in a position to exercise their legitimate individual rights of self-preservation in defense of family, person and property as well as to serve effectively in the appropriate militia for the common defense of the republic and the individual liberty of its citizens.”

That is my benchmark for the NRA. That is what I expect its management to promote. That is what I expect its staff to promote. To people who want to slam anyone for taking on NRA political statements or political grades or public policy statements that contradict that, it’s on them to show where the criticism is untrue.

Support for any “gun control” law violates not only the bylaws, but also contradicts the truism that such laws don’t work.  The signal it sends is that such laws will work if  only they’re NRA-approved.

We’re told certain laws or rules will be supported because it’s pragmatic to do so, and if we don’t offer an alternative something worse will be forced on us. To me, that shows that the political ratings are flawed, since no politician worthy of an “A” and endorsement under the assurances that he is “a staunch defender of the Second Amendment” would support an infringement, but would instead go to the mat fighting it. Far too often we see it easier for a John Cornyn to advance a mental health blanket dragnet bill, or a Marco Rubio to push so-called “red flag” restraints that, by their very design cannot afford real “due process,” regardless of assurances insisting otherwise.

I’d expect an “A”-rater to be able to argue a compelling case to his constituents to educate them on the realities of citizen disarmament and to be able to demonstrate how they’re getting bad information and from whom. They present themselves as our leaders, so how about some leadership?

I’d also expect an “A”-rater to not endorse and support “F”-raters, as every supposedly “pro-gun Democrat” who turned around and supported Obama or Hillary for president did.  I’d expect an “A”-rater to not undermine his “pro-gun” votes by supporting “amnesty/pathway to citizenship” policies that will result in overwhelming anti-gun majorities, just like we’ve seen engineered in “sanctuary state” California.

But talking about all this plays into the hands of those who would “divide and conquer,” some will insist.

So what are we supposed to do? Pretend deep disagreements don't exist?

What will ignoring grievances accomplish, and how will it keep more of them from occurring? Some of us believe we are in an existential fight for the future of the Republic, and one that can devolve into much more serious conflicts than calling each other names. And speaking for myself, if you “compromise” for or enable any form of citizen disarmament, sorry, we’re not “on the same side.”

Besides, who would exploit the rift?  The gun-grabbers? Our enemies? They'll attack us regardless. The hell with them.

Here’s the other thing, though, for everybody placing all the blame on Wayne LaPierre & Co. (and he certainly has earned his portion of criticism): Out of the supposedly five million members, less than half of those meet the qualifications needed to vote for the Board of Directors. Of those who do qualify, Election Committee reports consistently confirm only around seven percent even bother to vote.

We can point fingers at the management-selected Nominating Committee if we like, but the bottom line is it’s up to each of us to MAKE the time to find out who best represents our interests. Believing what I call “Profiles in Apathy” to be the way things will continue to be, I don’t have high hopes to see the mandate for real change some are calling for actualized.

For those saying “GOA,” simple math tells us they won’t be in a position to exert as much influence without comparable membership numbers. That they have not attained those after all these years tells us something about them but much more about gun owners.

What all this means is, without something unforeseen and profound happening to unify gun owners, I’m not expecting to see the divide lessen. I wish I could offer a happy solution. But if it means giving up concessions to those that want it all, maybe we’re beyond debating in website comments and moving into something a lot more serious and for which far too few of us have prepared…

About David Codrea:David Codrea

David Codrea is the winner of multiple journalist awards for investigating / defending the RKBA and a long-time gun owner rights advocate who defiantly challenges the folly of citizen disarmament.

He blogs at “The War on Guns: Notes from the Resistance,” is a regular featured contributor to Firearms News, and posts on Twitter: @dcodrea and Facebook.

Dave Brown
Dave Brown
1 year ago

Well there must be Trolls on both sides. How about Free Your Mind, Be Party Blind. Me, 66, have owned and fired well over 250 firearms, and still going strong, but going back to the basics. Anyway, The NRA Welcomed me into the world of Firearms at age 12 as they use to use Attraction, key word is use to use. I have basically given up on The NRA as they Sold Out to Big Money. But, what goes around comes around. Maybe it is time for US to get together, not Attack, but go back to Attraction. I have… Read more »

Jack Mac
Jack Mac
Reply to  Dave Brown

Dave B, I am a Life plus NRA member that always felt the NRA should be more vehement. I am at the age to may soon be going hopefully to the Happy Hunting Grounds or Valhalla. So my leaving the NRA, which I wont, would have no impact. Since the Do-gooders, greedy tax collectors and lawyers caused my cigarettes go from under $2 to over $9 a pack, I no longer donate much. The little I have to donate will not go the NRA until their BOD is changed, maybe. Still no impact considering amount available. I think only Democrats… Read more »

ron
ron
1 year ago

DC, I appreciate you laying out the standard the NRA should be held to. Many of the members, past and present, are expressing their disappointment in that standard being betrayed. It’s vapid, however, to think that members will actively vote for various board members when nobody is verifying vote totals or ballot security. The NRA will put forth whom they desire, and it’s silly to think otherwise. Are you calling investors to vote on board members to all the companies their mutual funds hold stock in? You’re calling this a profile in Apathy is ridiculous. We defer to the dentist… Read more »

Jim
Jim

David,
I enjoyed your article as usual. I look at the various pro 2A organizations as fingers on a hand. we need them all for optimal effectiveness.

To the critics of the NRA, the NRA like many large organizations has its faults but it also has its strengths. Vote for the Board of Directors. Write to them and tell them that you’re unhappy with the NRA and suggest improvements. get involved at the local and state levels.

Jim

justjim
justjim
1 year ago

There is a HUGE rift in the gun community that goes beyond the Pro/Anti NRA dispute. Yesterday at the legislative committee meetings in Olympia WA there was testimony by people who announced their NRA membership and then went on to voice their SUPPORT for more regulations on guns and gun ownership, saying things like: “I’m an NRA member and an IPSC competitor. We only use 10 rounds in our competitions so I don’t see the need for ANYone to own “high” capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.” A State Senator GUY PALUMBO (remember that name so you don’t… Read more »

Charles Nichols
Charles Nichols
1 year ago

“To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States…” Since April of 2010 the National Rifle Association has been in Federal court defending California’s 1967 ban on openly carrying loaded firearms in public, a ban it endorsed and helped to write. Likewise, the NRA defends California’s Unloaded Open Carry bans which went into effect on January 1, 2012, and 2013. In its Peruta v. San Diego concealed carry appeal, the NRA argued in support of California’s Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995. In its opening brief, the NRA said that repealing the GFSZ would be, in its word, “drastic.”… Read more »

John Lewis
John Lewis
1 year ago

Every gun owner had better wake up. The Socialists, or Denocrats have unzipped their fly. They want gun confiscation period. But for now they will settle for semiautomatic ban. Whatever gun rights organization(s) you belong too you should be contacting asking what you can do to support their cause. Only working together can we save our rights.

Bill N.
Bill N.
1 year ago

While I agree that the NRA has made poor decisions it has done much good in the past. Yes it’s broken but why not fix it instead of scrapping it. Lip service does nothing, only our votes will fix this. Just look at congress, lots of lip service and nothing done.

Freebird
Freebird
Reply to  Bill N.

N.R.A. ” voting ” needs to be transparent and independently verified…… don’t hold your breath.

How about a nice NRA wine club selection while you wait ?

DAN III
DAN III
Reply to  Freebird

Would that NRA wine be T-bird or Ripple ?

Ricardo Riostirado
Ricardo Riostirado
1 year ago

I wrote a message to the NRA Board, expressing my displeasure with their actions and why I feel they are not representing gun owners and our 2nd Amendment. Here is a copy of my email, let’s my crucifixion begin!!! From: Operation Steel Rain Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 7:54 PM To: [email protected] Subject: YOU are no longer representing the interests of gun owners There is No question all of you at the NRA talks out of both sides of your mouth, supports gun control on the one hand and opposes it on the other. So proud of their support for… Read more »

Michael
Michael
1 year ago

Thanks for inspiring article, David. I’m sure if we looked a little deeper into our anger we could all see the same sentiment inside as yours. We are, however, in an emotional state in this country that the least of things will set us off into a tirade that isn’t easily appeased with nonsense out of the NRA leadership. We’re human, and we have deep emotional ties to our rights of self defense, be it a mugger on the street or the government at our doorstep. Sadly, I think the climate in America only pushes us farther into a corner… Read more »

BARNACLE BILL
BARNACLE BILL
1 year ago

I left two comments this morning and the simpler one was posted immediately but the one that contained detailed information about the NRA never appeared. The detailed one was posted first. It was NOT information that had to be verified. I will not be receiving E-Mails from ammo-land (ALL LOWER CASE} anymore. These people may be a wedge.

Reply to  BARNACLE BILL

I agree. Posted a neutral comment saying you are responsible for action/inaction not paying conglomerates to do the work for you then bitching when the steal your money

Never posted.

Reply to  BARNACLE BILL

@BB, The system gets overwhelmed. Longer comments take longer. I look forward to reading your more detailed comment.

m r c
m r c
Reply to  BARNACLE BILL

I have not had A LOT of comments posted who can we trust anymore? maybe we do need new leaders is THERE ANOTHER CHARLTON HESSTON OUT THERE?

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
Reply to  m r c

Charlton Heston was *NOT* a no-compromise celebrity figurehead. *He despised the AK family of firearms.* What we need, IF we must rely on celebrities to promote our cause (and we shouldn’t) is to get someone like Ted Nugent in the NRA EVP position IF the organization is to be saved and transformed. Uncle Ted doesn’t have a compromising bone in his body. He would argue for repaling EVERYTHING all the way back to and including the NFA. That being said, I don’t believe for a minute that the NRA can be salvaged. Their voting procedures are opaque and rigged to… Read more »

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog
Reply to  Will Flatt

I wouldn’t run off the rails and elect a cloned Ted Nugent. He speaks eloquently with his hateful speech, likes to threaten Presidents, and is a self proclaimed pedophile. If one supports that type of person, then he is your guy.

jim smith
jim smith
1 year ago

Re: “We’re told certain laws or rules will be supported because it’s pragmatic to do so” The purpose of the Second Amendment is clearly stated in the preamble to the Bill of Rights where it says “The convention of a number of states having at the time of their adopting of the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse, of its powers that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added”. Note that when the Second Amendment was written, every weapon was a weapon of war, there were no restrictions on the private ownership of weapons… Read more »

Robert Pollard
Robert Pollard
Reply to  jim smith

Well said. It sounds like David thinks comprise is ok in certain circumstances. IT IS NOT! David, the proof you were asking for where the NRA has compromised is abundant. One example I can give is fully automatic weapons. Also, when you said “And speaking for myself, if you “compromise” for or enable any form of citizen disarmament, sorry, we’re not “on the same side.” Does this mean the NRA is not on your side? As they HAVE comprised! Can you say “bump stocks”? BTW, you said “vote”. Guess what voting has done no good. As proof of that, look… Read more »

1 year ago

I wrote a comment a while ago. Guess I was not supportive enough to the agenda of this website since my Comments were not posted. Just another website that censores the public.

Reply to  Darrell Howard

@Darrell H, The system is just getting overwhelmed. Long comments take way longer. I look forward to your comments.

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog
Reply to  Darrell Howard

Darrell and Will Bill,
Yes, At times comments do take longer to post , especially if there is a link attached. If respective without any ugly language should be okay.

1 year ago

My comment was neither long nor offensive.

And no attachments.

1 year ago

Freedom of speech, as long as you agree.

James M. Beckett
James M. Beckett
1 year ago

1st and foremost turn back all encumbrances on the 2nd Amendment! There must be NO infringements to that Constitutional right at the federal level. NO 1934 machine gun ban, NO Hughes Amendment, NO infringements whatsoever! The wording of the second Amendment is clear on this, “shall not be infringed”. There should not be State or Local laws that greaten or lessen the absolute God Given right that the Constitution puts on paper for citizens of these United States! Without the Second we cannot protect the First or any other Constitutional Rights with absolute guarantee, If you are serious about supporting… Read more »

Joseph P Martin
Joseph P Martin
1 year ago

Well said David. I was the first President of Friends of the NRA in Mesilla Valley (Las Cruces, NM) with guest speaker Gov. Joe Foss. I have always stood first and foremost for the 2nd Amendment right of all citizens and do not hate the NRA, I am, and have been fed up with Wayne LaPierre being the man in charge for decades. He’s not unlike a career politician, something we all can agree is just wrong. I quit the NRA when I saw a segment on TV, paid for by the NRA members, of Wayne LaPierre hunting in Africa… Read more »

Gas Block
Gas Block
1 year ago

We’re not voting ourselves out of this mess folks, NRA or not.

Thomas J
Thomas J
Reply to  Gas Block

We are waaay past a political solution

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
Reply to  Gas Block

Yep, TINVOWOOT. Our founding fathers did not vote their way out of tyranny, the frickin’ shot the tyrants and their lobsterbacked, jackbooted thugs. We must do the same!!

Time for people to Ranger Up and get a good solid battle rifle or two, and stock up on as much ammo as you can get. I’m partial to 5.56×45 and 7.62×51, but your platform may vary, which is OK, as long as you’re able to resupply in the field off your enemy.

A storm is coming… will you be READY??

Rock
Rock
1 year ago

Do NOT allow a divide and conquer action to take place among the gun owners of America. WE need to get and keep our S**T together 100%.
This rift is EXACTLY what the Dems and libs are/were hopping for.
And WE all know it !!!!!

Gunrunner26
Gunrunner26
Reply to  Rock

Well said.

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  Rock

Yup. SO true. Anyone else here ever read Saul Alinsky? This is one of his most recommendedntatics… and is one of the most effective. Divide into factions, set those factions one against another, sit back, and watch the destruction and chaos. Once that has progressed to the point of meltdown, step in with “the final solution” to “fix” all the problems you have been busy creating. there is a REASON the kinyun former sorry excuse of a chief executive officer read and studied Marx and Alinsky… and he was a master (another word that rhymes withthis one also comes to… Read more »

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
Reply to  Tionico

For those who haven’t read Alinsky, these are the rules that everybody talks about. Obviously there is more-check the INTERWEB. Alinsky’s Rules: 1 “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood. 2 “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. 3 “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. 4… Read more »

Dave C
Dave C
Reply to  Rock

Amen! This is an UPHILL BATTLE! We need all the allies we can get. However, I do believe it’s time to get back to the core mission, and not acting like AARP selling wine, life insurance, etc. I don’t feel close to the 2nd Amm. battle looking at a wine ad…..

Kurt Francis
Kurt Francis
Reply to  Rock

You have just stated the comment I was going to post. Divide and conquer strategy works very effectively for the left. And when we fight among ourselves, we only weaken as a voting bloc.

Wayne Clark
Wayne Clark
1 year ago

The way I see it, the NRA has one (1) consideration to promote as a lobbying organization…that being the Second Amendment, in all its glory, wisdom & proclamations to the freedom it alone, pertains to in our Bill of Rights. Without this amendment, all other amendments are basically null & void because there would be no protection against the abuse of them by the government. The problem is, nobody is held accountable on either the NRA side, or the elected officials that swore an oath to uphold the Constitution…including the President. The fact remains though, the NRA has this one… Read more »

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  Wayne Clark

dintchya READ the NRA bylaws quoted above by David? It paliny says to uphold the CONSTITUTION.

from the article:
“To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use firearms”

protect and defend THE CONSTITUTION, especially with reference to…….

Does not say EXCLUSIVELY with reference to…..

Nuff said.

CHARLES WILLIAM MODICA
CHARLES WILLIAM MODICA
1 year ago

The left has to many rich that are out spending the NRA..Keep up the good work your doing

CAMO66
CAMO66
1 year ago

I don’t understand why those that are crying about the leadership of the NRA are saying “No more money to the NRA” or “I’m going to one of the other organizations that support the 2A”. Well I’m sure almost all of you voted for Trump to get the last anti gun President out so why are you all running away now instead of voting for board members that support a true “We won’t back down on the 2A” stance? You didn’t leave the country when Obama was Pres., so why leave the NRA when you can make a difference.

Amanda Lee Jobin
Amanda Lee Jobin
1 year ago

the nra is what, 140 years old? Yea… the goa doesn’t have the nra’s numbers.
The nra folded on… well… name it.
I was the NRA is the new sloggan, btw.

sick of these shill ass nra crap in my inbox.
you can support and goa and the nra… you know, unless your on the nra payroll somewhere.

I’ll avoid clicking on any more ammoland links from now on…

1 year ago

I do not support any organization. In the final analysis they allways turn out to be all about the money. I do my own research down at my local level on any and all elected positions from dog catcher on up. I look at what they have/have not done, where they are, and what their ambitions are likely to be. The battle starts at home, not with a lying politician in Washington nor a political organization that supposedly defends us by promising our votes. Wake up! The real power is in your local community. That’s where it all starts, and… Read more »

Jeremy White
Jeremy White
1 year ago

I’d say when it comes to Crunch time, there will be no “rift”. We will be the only thing that stands between this country and globalist.

Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy
1 year ago

Mr. La Pierre “we Will Never Ever Waver”/ “Stand and Fight”,however his and Negotiating Rights Aways track record of kneeling and betrayal of members/Americans natural Second Amendment rights speak and act differently. Look at the NRA’s “record” of protecting Second Amendment rights: –National Firearms Act of 1934–not a peep of protestation from the NRA –1968 Gun Control Act–no protestation here, either –1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act–allowed the banning the registration and civilian ownership of of newly-manufactured machine guns, No opposition offered –1994 “Assault Weapons Ban”–feebly protested by the NRA with little opposition. –2018 “Bump stock ban”–the NRA first suggesting a… Read more »

Snuffy
Snuffy
1 year ago

The Left seeks to divide us, and they’re doing a fine job of it. If we don’t hang together, then surely we will all hang separately.

JMR
JMR
Reply to  Snuffy

The left isn’t doing this. Unless the left is controlling the NRA, and causing them to push for gun control. And if that’s the case it’s even more reason the NRA is wrong.

“The left” is a boogeyman catch all to anyone on the right, similar to how Russia is with the left. Every time people encounter something they don’t like, instead of looking at, evaluating it, and being a reasonable person, they just throw up their hands and (insert the left or Russia depending on your political persuasions)

DBM
DBM
Reply to  JMR

Read all the comments. You have exact word for word posts from different people. We’ve seen it 4 or 5 times now. While not all the issues are created from the left they work hard to make the rift bigger. When anti NRA activists quote mother jones and the trace it is hard to say who is using whom.

JMR
JMR
Reply to  DBM

Oh, your back? I’m curious how do you know what mother jones and the trace write? How is it so deeply embedded into your mind that you can tell when someone quotes them?

Facts are facts, they cannot be changed, it doesn’t matter who reports them, and people you don’t like reporting them doesn’t change what they are.

However none of what you said changes that the NRA is pushing for gun control, and that it is that action that is causing the divide, not anything the left has done.

Reply to  Snuffy

, Just because we are dissatisfied with the efforts of the NRA does not mean that we will cease pestering our employees in government or cease sending contributions to Second Amendment organizations. We will merely send our donations to one of the other Second Amendment organizations that do get results. Example: GOA and Kettler v. USA. If successful in getting the NFA declared unconstitutional, the GCA in its entirety can not be far behind. That effort is worthy of a donation, I would think. And soon the NRA will be obsolete.

Oldmarine
Oldmarine
Reply to  Wild Bill

Oldmarine >>> Wild Bill A very good evaluation Bill, Huff and puff all evry one can but the donations will make the change. If any gun organization is more effective than others then they are the one to support. NRA supporters need to evaluate the organization realistically and decide where their money will make the biggest effect. Ridding a dead horse gets you nowhere. Cling to a dead horse leaves you Dead behind. We have the choice of being obstinate or flexible and adaptive. I feel that the NRA has acted stupidly and the GOA has proved it. No matter… Read more »

Oldmarine
Oldmarine
Reply to  Wild Bill

Oldmarine >>> Wild Bill
Have you ever wondered why the NRA members have so many complaints and the GOA appears to have none ?????

Reply to  Oldmarine

, Nope! I am pretty happy with GOA, but I’d be interested in what you are thinking.

Oldmarine
Oldmarine
Reply to  Wild Bill

Oldmariine >>> Wild Bill I wonder if AMMOLAND will post this? I have only one fault with the NRA and that it’s direction. The NRA is constantly on the defence and never on the attack. Why is that? Wayne LaPierre is a manager not a leader. He is certanly not a Charlton Heston “From my cold dead hands”. Additude is important and Wayne’s additude sucks. He sees the NRA as a defensive organization and not a offensive one. As long as he is the Manager there will be a dwindling membership. The NRA says it defends your rights under the… Read more »

SteveK
SteveK
1 year ago

Simple question: Are ya fer or again’ Unconstitutional Red Flag Laws? My money goes to those who are AGAIN’.

Pistol Pete
Pistol Pete
1 year ago

I house divided can not Stand
If we want to keep our rights all of them we better stick to gather.
The gun grabber are stuck to gather like Glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry (SquirrelSlayer)
Terry (SquirrelSlayer)
1 year ago

David; I am in 100% agreement with everything you’ve said. I am a NRA Benefactor Life Member and never fail to vote. Anytime I am in one of these discussions I tell people “At the end of the day if it had not been for the NRA you would be lucky to be allowed to own a BB gun”. That being said, I cannot for the life of me understand why while holding all three branches of the government we can not even get the Hearing Protection act passed. And the bump stock thing. And the National reciprocity thing. And… Read more »

JMR
JMR
1 year ago

So anytime your in a discussion you throw out a non proveable appeal to consequence fallacy.

Real enlightened.

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  JMR

non proveable appeal to consequence fallacy

Can you translate this into intelligible english? THen can you specifically identify what his “consequence fallacy” is and how it is so?

In other words, prove your own “consequence fallacy”.

Else you are merely spewing soap bubbles bacause they’re pretty to watch. but soap bubbles have no consequences……..

JMR
JMR
Reply to  Tionico

Consequence fallacy: is an argument that concludes a hypothesis to be either true or false based on whether the premise leads to desirable or undesirable consequences “Without the NRA we would not have gunrights” It’s a logical fallacy. Not to mention that the NRA didn’t start fighting for gunrights until… well about the Cincinnati revolt, in the late 60s-70s, with the formation of the ILA. Before that they would argue for gun control. They still do. However the that doesn’t change that the argument “without the nra we would have lost gun rights” is just a logical fallacy. One spewed… Read more »

Mark
Mark
1 year ago

@TLS (SquirrelSlayer), as a fellow NRA Member, (Benefactor/Life/Golden Eagles) I feel that I must inform you about “majorities” in Government. In an obstructionist role the democrat party has made it impossible to pass pro-gun legislation. This was when the Republicans had SIMPLE majorities in the House and Senate before the last election. Without a SUPER majority (67 votes in the Senate, 290 votes in the House), the Republicans needed help from the democrats to advance any pro 2nd Amendment bills. With anti-2nd Amendment people running the democrat party, these initiatives had a snowballs chance in hell of getting passed. Stand… Read more »

Don O'Shei
Don O'Shei
1 year ago

The reason is called the Filibuster. It’s not that complicated. 51 votes doesn’t control the Senate. 61 does.

jagpald
jagpald
1 year ago

I was one that felt the NRA had fouled up over the years and allowed my membership to just fade away. Now – I’m no expert at word salads, but I understand that most if not all of my fundamental rights are under attack. Now more than ever I feel it is important to align myself with and support those with the resources to defend my rights. There is very little I can do personally to change what is happening to our nation in regard to loss of rights. With that said, yesterday I made a small stand against tyranny… Read more »

Reply to  jagpald

@jag, you are quite correct! The elitists of this country were using the same arguments against free speech as they use against the RKBA, in the software to print guns on a computer printer, just only recently. I never, in my life, thought that the government would argue against our free speech rights.

Henry
Henry
Reply to  Wild Bill

Did you somehow miss the odious Schenck case (the famous “yelling fire in a crowded theatre” one, from 100 years ago)? Pure anti-free speech.

John Galt
John Galt
1 year ago

“If you “compromise” for, or enable any citizen disarmament, sorry, we’re on the other side” ……..and YOU are an enemy of the constitution and my children. PERIOD!

Way past time for torches, pitchforks and auto rifles

JDC
JDC
1 year ago

Well written and supports your points. I’ve said in this forum before that you should support as many 2A organizations as your time and wallet allow. I’ve also said that the NRA wouldn’t have to circle the wagons on the BOD and sending out spokesmen with the same old song if their leadership were doing a better job. If you are tone deaf, singing louder just annoys everybody, not makes them want to join you in song. The NRA should be saying “we hear you, and here is what we’re doing to address your concerns.” Then go point by point… Read more »

David W
David W
1 year ago

I am an NRA Endowment Life Member, and honestly right now I am not much in terms of wanting to be very supportive of them because they are not doing right by there membership as they appear more to not be following there own bylaws. So Wayne and Chris, I am calling you out, stop the nonsense and start steering the NRA back to what it is supposed to be doing for We The People, supporting our Right to Bear Arms without giving an inch. And start taking back the inches we have given over the decades. It is high… Read more »

Tim McCorkle
Tim McCorkle
Reply to  David W

Amen David! “Shall not be infringed” seems really simple tome and also as an NRA Endowment Life Member I do NOT see that stance being taken but rather compromising and the not-taking-back of recently passed laws that indeed o infringe on the 2A. I am sick of it. Articles like the above serve to support my belief that the NRA has simply become yet another political organization – period. and that is sad. “Something is better than nothing” is not always true.

joefoam
joefoam
1 year ago

I have been a supporter and member of the NRA for years. The latest round of position statements regarding bump stocks and red flag laws have me concerned about what the goals of the organization are. You can vote for the BOD all you want but top leadership remains, very frustrating. I have joined the GOA, SAF and NAGR to hedge my bets against gun grabbers. I would encourage others to do so as well. the most aggravating thing about the NRA is the constant nagging for funds offering useless trinkets to dazzle the members and potential members into donating.… Read more »

GregTorchia
GregTorchia
1 year ago

Attention Wayne and Chris /“”we the people “”don’t believe your lobbyist left-wing propaganda anymore you are compromised /you are big and bloated /everybody knows ,,it’s time to go —-to “gun owners of America”or just batten down the hatches ,at the ranchDown on the border

sb
sb
1 year ago

This is a well written article, As a strong supporter of the NRA and a membership recruiter for them I hear many of the complaints in the field. when I find dissatisfaction in something they are doing or questions I call the NRA-ILA and talk to the Litigators at HQ to get their take on issues being addressed. I have always found the legal department helpful and willing to answer any question I’ve put to them and there have been many. I’ve come to understand the NRA always has a long game strategy. Do I always agree with them NO… Read more »

Thom
Thom
1 year ago

My disappointment in the NRA stems from its conscious decision to portray gun rights as being rooted in hunting, self-defense, and shooting sports, when the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with any of those. The 2nd Amendment was written to recognize that for a free people to remain free they must have at their disposal weapons sufficient to resist an invading oppressor or eject a native tyrant. As a result, even gun owners become uncomfortable when the subject of the real reasons for the 2nd Amendment come up, as if being able to eject a tyrant is a disloyal… Read more »

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  Thom

who needs a 30 round mag to hunt deer? No one.. nearly every state limits hunting rifles for deer, etc, to five rounds. BUT.. many others DO need standard cap mags. Did anyone else read about the chap just this past week I believe, who was the target of what appeared to be a well organised home invasion….. at least five attackers were involved, and all were well armed. Homeowner acted alone. Three perps dead, two more in custody in hospital, none escaped. Did not read the actual number of rounds Defender fired, but the report did say dozens of… Read more »

Bugs1876
Bugs1876
Reply to  Thom

And no one argues with truth. Well said.

I walked away from the NRA over 10 years ago when I learned they have a history of not only allowing 2A infringements, but also being part of the drafting of 2A infringements. Anyone know the real history of why machine guns are regulated and priced out of THE PEOPLE’s hands. It’s worth researching. Can’t remember where the NRA was when suppressors became so regulated. Guess that should be looked into as well.

The Green Watch Dog
The Green Watch Dog
1 year ago

April in Indy is not too far away. Our speakers will sure address this critical issue.

The Revelator
The Revelator
1 year ago

Mr. Codrea, Heard you on Guntalk on Sunday. Definitely agree with the article above. I know you like to challenge and stir the pot on both sides, and I am much like that in that I believe accountability is a two way street and I do not exempt myself either. I was a member of the NRA until about 5 years ago. My votes were going no where, the BOD was even then circling the wagons to protect themselves(Most notably Grover Norquist at the time) and working to undermine the member vote. That is one of the reasons I left.… Read more »

Osiris^Rising
Osiris^Rising
1 year ago

Open up a private secure forum and I’ll be very happy to drop anonymity (not a criticism). Truth be told. I liked the article very much. I’d also like to see the faces behind the names. I also would love to see some leadership for what’s coming soon. I believe most here will stand and fight. But we can not win any battles as lonewolves. We need leadership to tell us when. Not to tell us to keep waiting until all our rights are gone and the jackboots are at our doors collecting our guns one-by-one as in AUS. We… Read more »

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
Reply to  Osiris^Rising

Agreed, on most points, but you are wrong if you think that there can be a secure forum. The data scavenging operations run by the various alphabet agencies make that an impossibility.

1 year ago

@Dave in Fairfax, You are correct our coms are not secure. But it is more than scavenging. Our out of control agencies do more spying on us than do spying on other countries. Domestic internet spyware by federal agency include: FBI has Carnivore; SS hasTriggerfish; NSA has Prisim & Blarney and Stellarwind; and those are just the ones that were being used before I retired. Our government agencies have more than a hundred satellites pointed toward us. Congress has been “advised” that the US population could revolt any time, now. The federal government has a Continuation of Government plan that… Read more »

Reply to  Osiris^Rising

@OR, Whomever volunteers to be the leader of your “direct and conclusive action” will be in the US Marshals lockup courtesy of the FBI, by 4PM on the day that person opens his mouth.
What you need is secure coms, logistics, and a plan.

Osiris^Rising
Osiris^Rising
Reply to  Osiris^Rising

@wildbill: That’s not the US Marshal’s purview. No mention mentioned violence. Then maybe the FBI<<< subverted. DOJ<<< subverted. State Dept.<<< subverted. CIA<<< subverted. NSA<<< subverted … ARE ALL of YOU getting the PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're on a cliff and a line has been drawn in the sand. It seems however that's it is the 2A American Republic supporters do not see the edge. We're falling off one-by-one, state-by-state. We…. We wait for leaders. Where are the rangers out there. Explain what 'RLTW' really means. Lead from the front or we WILL lose what freedoms are left and this nation. At the… Read more »

The Revelator
The Revelator
Reply to  Osiris^Rising

@Osiris rising. What you advocate is not an American revolution, but a French one. Preemptive strikes to murder those you disagree with always lose in the end. We “2A American Republic” supporters follow the constitution, and the Constitution guarantees rights for all. We will defend ourselves, but we wont jump the gun. Now you claim you did not mention violence. “I’m talking about direct conclusive action and an unmovable resolve that will guarantee the future for us and our descendants.” You see, most of us are smart enough to read between the lines. What you are doing is calling for… Read more »

Rocco
Rocco
1 year ago

So this writer thinks we shouldn’t have any restrictions on gun ownership at all? Or types of weapons either, I’m assuming. Felons, wife beaters, child abusers, the insane, those with Alzheimer’s and Dementia, etc… That’s just as extreme as any gun grabber. As usual in life, the far ends are wrong, and the truth and best solution for the most citizens and somewhere in the middle.

MikeRoss
MikeRoss
Reply to  Rocco

You’re being critical of the author for your assumptions, he said none of that.

Mellon head
Mellon head
Reply to  Rocco

You have the argument of a Bolshevik, you are the problem, an armed people is the solution.

Wayne Clark
Wayne Clark
Reply to  Rocco

Rocco, I don’t believe he is suggesting anything of the such. Types of weapons…maybe…but that would be because the Second Amendment doesn’t have any; “unless, if, except, only, until or but”, before or after, “shall not be infringed.” Violent felons, wife beaters, child abusers, et al you mentioned, should be exempt from having these rights…BUT…only if THEY ARE ADJUDICATED AS SUCH or in the case of mental issues, deemed incapable of the responsibility and safety necessary to own a weapon of any flavor by a qualified doctor of medicine/psychology AND it is adjudicated to be so. Otherwise, it’s just our… Read more »

Russ Curtis
Russ Curtis
Reply to  Wayne Clark

Well said, Wayne … you hit the nail on the head.

Thomas J
Thomas J
Reply to  Rocco

Freedoms hard, deal with it. If a person can’t be trusted with arms should they be exposed to the public in the first place? FUDD!

Ramsey A. Bear
Ramsey A. Bear
Reply to  Thomas J
BARNACLE BILL
BARNACLE BILL
Reply to  Rocco

FOR THE MOST CITIZENS is crap.

Old Marine
Old Marine
Reply to  BARNACLE BILL

Oldmarine >>> BARNACLE BILL

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  Rocco

You assume wrongly: You are confusing the right to bear ARMS (the range of devices that qualify as “arms”) with WHO is to bear them. That Second Article of Ammendment used the term “arms”< which encompasses ANY weapon of war able to be deployed by an individual. It stated that the right to bear and use such "arms" accrues to "the people", and uses the term"militia" as a clarifier, an example. So a good question to ask, which you do not, would be "WHO are the militia?" As one of those who helped write the Cosnttitution stated back then, the… Read more »

Jack Mac
Jack Mac
Reply to  Rocco

Rocco, and everybody else please review your concept of felons. Not all felons are or inclined to be sociopathic gunslingers or other types of homicidal bloodletting monsters. Imagine how many felon laws exist with ease of charges. This blanket law against felon access to firearms has done no blanket good or will it ever. The loss of voting rights is useless. Felons will not vote in blocks, the anti-social ones will like many non felons not even care about voting. This is yet another effective method of disarming people. I believe the reason that powers be have not already attempted… Read more »

Ramsey A. Bear
Ramsey A. Bear
Reply to  Rocco

@rocco Is just a troll. Please ignore the paid agitator.

wm mcdannold
wm mcdannold
1 year ago

Where is inclusion of some ‘nebulous’ NRA actions? Currently, reports that NRA officialdom supports red flag consfications based at least on heresay with no due process have this long life member truly bugged. What about it? True?

clark e myers
clark e myers
Reply to  wm mcdannold

“Currently, reports that NRA officialdom supports red flag consfications based at least on heresay with no due process have this long life member truly bugged. What about it? True?” False. The NRA, per Chris Cox, is not blocking “red flag laws” and IMHO can’t. Again per Chris Cox, the NRA can push for the same due process guaranteed by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. “The Constitution states only one command twice. The Fifth Amendment says to the federal government that no one shall be “deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law.”. The Fourteenth Amendment, ratified in… Read more »

The Revelator
The Revelator
Reply to  clark e myers

Been there, provided the video……

Posted Video elsewhere of Chris Cox calling for Red Flag laws using watered down terminology.

Also prior to the 14th, there is this little matter of the Supremacy clause which mandates that all states are accountable to the restrictions on violations of rights set forward in the Constitution, and that the US constitution over rules any state constitution trying to go past the level set by the US constitution.

Hop
Hop
1 year ago

You know, one thing you get on the internet a lot is how writers, respondents, etc., make points of the significance about “anonymity” and how bold people are behind a keyboard and being “anonymous” cowardly keyboard warriors, etc. I’d like to say one thing about being “anonymous”. The Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalists papers were written anonymously by the likes of Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, Patrick Henry, John Jay, Richard Henry Lee, etc., utilizing such aliases “The Federal Farmer”, “Publius”, “The Plain Dealer”, “Cato”, “Agrippa”, etc. None at the time knew who was writing the published articles except the “anonymous”… Read more »

som sai
som sai
1 year ago

Meh, you got to learn to go with the flow. Do you support 90% of what the NRA does? Then support the org. I’m a Dem, a lefty kind of Dem, the NRA supports candidates who do very bad things for the country, I mean besides gun rights. Yet to some extent I appreciate the NRA because of their 2A advocacy and especially because they are a very strong presence on every single piece of federal hunting legislation and a lot of what goes on in the states. There are a lot of orgs that I’ve no use for, the… Read more »

Hoplite
Hoplite
Reply to  som sai

I do not understand how you can support LEFTY democrats and say you support the 2A. The lefty dems oppose the 2A almost univerally.

Richard L
Richard L
Reply to  som sai

som sai, you mean when the NRA supported Harry Reid? Otherwise be more specific.

Nottinghill
Nottinghill
Reply to  som sai

GFY!!!!!!

Mark Laderwarg
Mark Laderwarg
1 year ago

I expect the NRA to support gun rights and candidates who support gun rights.

It should neither be a democrat or republican or conservative or liberal organization. It is a SINGLE-ISSUE group.

I remember the criticism the NRA received for giving Harry Reid an A rating. The fact is that the liberal ass wipe did support gun rights in word and deed. That is all that should matter to the NRA. He later changed, but that is a different story.

Donbmcd
Donbmcd
1 year ago

David, Many of the anti-NRA posters are not actually gun owners. Their purpose is to create a divide that had not existed.

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Donbmcd

I doubt that. That is just a wishful thought.

Donbmcd
Donbmcd
Reply to  Ben

No… The other side is more organized and funded than we are. Plus they have no morals.

Thomas J
Thomas J
Reply to  Donbmcd

You would be very wrong, many of us are 2A absolutists, who are sick of the compromises, the fudds and boomers. Constitutionalists and libertarians who have no voice, no representation in a two party system full of commies or cronies, you keep on thinking we’re paid trolls dumb ass, while your sitting on your ass crying we’re working out, training and getting ready to kick some ass

Rusty
Rusty
Reply to  Thomas J

Well said, TJ. The NRA bootlickers want to believe anyone attacking their idol must be a leftist / socialist / communist. They can’t imagine honest Constitution-loving Americans having issues with the NRA.

The most ardent NRA supporters are like battered wives. “I’ll forgive him, because this time he promised me it’ll be different.”

JaySheepdog
JaySheepdog
1 year ago

We have seen too much compromise by the NRA over the years and as an Endowment Patriot life member I will never fail to call them out on it. (I wholeheartedly agree that it would be nice if the GOA had the same member base and influence but you are spot on when you point out that over many years they don’t seem to be any larger — and there’s a reason for that.) We, as NRA members able to vote or not, need to call out the NRA when they compromise! Those that can vote need to vote! Just… Read more »

Jim Mackey
Jim Mackey
1 year ago

Well written and agreed wholeheartedly

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
1 year ago

“And speaking for myself, if you “compromise” for or enable any form of citizen disarmament, sorry, we’re not “on the same side.” That right there. And maybe more of us would vote if being a life member wasn’t the price of admission. If you think about it, isn’t it a bit like only a landowner or a plantation owner getting the right to vote? I’d buy in at that level if I had the free cash to throw around but I don’t. And sadly that simply underscores the fact that if I’m not someone who can throw that kind of… Read more »

buzzsaw
buzzsaw
Reply to  Ansel Hazen

You do not have to be a life member to vote in the Board of Directors Election. If you are current, and have been a member for five or more years continuously, you are eligible to vote.

Since NRA’s recent capitulations, I have been $upporting them less, the GOA more, and am training, and completing my preparation for “something a lot more serious” should it, Heaven forbid, become necessary.

James Rogers
James Rogers
1 year ago

NRA Benefactor Life Member here: I see this as a major crack in the armor of both the 2A community and the NRA. The 2A community consistently fails to look any further than the front sites of their own precious choice of which firearms they own. They are largely self absorbed in their chosen field, Be that shotguns, handguns, rifles, hunting, target shooting, tactical, black powder, or modern pleasures. Rarely do we find one group supporting multiple platforms. Therefore our community remains fragmented. It is difficult if not nearly impossible to bring a concentrated effort from most to step up… Read more »

Ben
Ben
Reply to  James Rogers

This right here. 100% reality. Support 2A or die out.

Don O'Shei
Don O'Shei
Reply to  James Rogers

There is no way to stop the slide into further gun control at the state level in some states. That is a pipe dream. The only answer to that problem is legislation and more likely litigation at the Federal level. By way of example, the voters of California have spoken clearly as to their desire to abrogate the rights of their fellow citizens. No NRA activity AT THE STATE LEVEL will reverse that.

Greg K
Greg K
1 year ago

David, if I had to grade this article I would give it an A…It’s easy to get pulled into the internal keyboard battlefield. Just a few weeks ago I tried to ferret something out of you. Fact is, I realized we are on the same page. Not one more step back, period!

However, there is a whole span of gun owner out there that believes their way is the best way. I’m on that continuum myself. Problem is, when people “Feel” threatened, we tend to strike out.

Excellent Article, and it’s why you’re a writer and I am not…well articulated.

David
David
1 year ago

OK, is the NRA perfect? Of course not. Has it made mistakes? of course. It’s perfectly fine to criticize – as members, we have the obligation to do so, in fact – we have the obligation to speak up when the leadership takes a path we disagree with. But imperfection does not equate to illegitimacy, or lack of value. I’ve given Uncle Wayne a bunch of money. I have no regrets, even though I’ve questioned the NRA’s tactics at times. It is the most powerful organization fighting for our rights, at the moment. I’ll continue to contribute. However – the… Read more »

Osiris^Rising
Osiris^Rising
Reply to  David

@David: It does not hurt either. Unless the shit is falling on your head. A bunch of millionaire mouthpieces selling us and our rights out one line at a time. MD has had one of the largest exoduses over the past forty years. It is states like those that have been left on their own. So tell us all about how the MD GOP sold everyone out and their excuse? Please start with the governor then work your way down. MA ME CO CT CA IL OH WA OR DE RI Those on the fall from grace. VA NC MI… Read more »

Hoplite
Hoplite
Reply to  David

David, glad you said that. Great comment. Will not effect the trolls though.

Nottinghill
Nottinghill
Reply to  Hoplite

Trolls gurgle and slurp… ass-kissers like the taste of sh!t, the smell of sh!t as heaps on the tip of their noses!
No it’s not a great comment. It sound like something the NRA wrote.