U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- The City of Alexandria is moving forward with public comment and a vote on a proposed ordinance to ban guns completely in government buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, and at permitted events and adjoining streets.
City Council had a chance to drop the proposed ordinance on Tuesday night, but did not. They made a minor amendment that did nothing significant for gun owners and voted to move forward with the public comment period and final vote on Saturday, June 20.
If passed, this ordinance would take effect on Wednesday, July 1, and would make criminals out of peaceful gun owners for merely being on a street that abuts a permitted event, or walking through any one of a myriad of public parks, or to go in City Hall to pay their taxes!
ACTION ITEM – GUN OWNERS NEED TO PROTEST THIS ATTACK ON THEIR RIGHTS!
This Saturday, June 13, from 1:30 PM to 3:30 pm, VCDL is calling on gun owners from Northern Virginia and beyond to protest outside of Alexandria City Hall, located at 301 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.
Let's have a huge number of gun owners there to get our message across!
As gun owners, we need to stand together and fight gun control as a team. Gun owners should come to protests, even if they are in different localities. Fairfax, Falls Church, Prince William, Arlington, and Loudoun gun owners need to support Alexandria gun owners and vice versa. An attack on the gun-rights of any of us is an attack on all of us! Gun control in a locality effects not only those that live there, but also anyone that travels to, or through, that locality.
A large turnout will send a strong message to any other localities that are considering following in Alexandria's footsteps, that gun owners are NOT going to meekly accept ANY restrictions on our right to protect ourselves and our families!
If you wish to bring a sign to carry, here are some suggestions for wording:
- Leave my gun rights ALONE!
- No more gun control
- Gun rights are women's rights
- Gun rights are minority rights
- Criminals are the problem, not me!
- Guns SAVE Lives
- Alexandria is attacking our rights!
- Stay on the sidewalk or other public areas outside City Hall
- Do NOT block roadways, sidewalks, or entrances to businesses
- Bring water and sunscreen
- Look for people handing out VCDL GSL stickers
- We are there to protest one thing and one thing only: City Council's proposed ordinance to strip us of our right to self-defense. Do NOT be goaded by any bystanders into addressing any ANY other issues. Stay on point
- I have notified the police department that we will be there to peacefully protest
- IMPORTANT: Alexandria is one of the locations where you cannot have a loaded firearm with a magazine in it that will hold MORE than 20 rounds or that has a threaded barrel or that has a collapsible stock UNLESS you have a CHP (18.2-287.4)
SPREAD THE WORD FAR AND WIDE! LET'S ROLL, VCDL!