Why You Should & Why You Should Not Glock ~ VIDEO

USA – -(Ammoland.com)- Glock pistols are everywhere for a variety of reasons. When looking for a first, or umteenth pistol it can be tempting to get into (or another) Glock, but is that a wise decision?  Let's explore the pros and cons of Glock pistols from a non-fanboy perspective. A Gen 3 Glock 19 was my first real carry gun after moving back to the US nearly a decade ago and it started me on an expensive learning path.

Glock Pistol Reliability

Glock was neither the first striker-fired pistol, nor the first to use a polymer frame, but it sure feels like they were. Through aggressive marketing and some clever lack of evolution, Glocks are about as ubiquitous as a Toyota Camry or Heinz Ketchup. Lore is that they undercut the competition significantly to win early police contracts and that's believable as a polymer-frame is much less expensive to make than machined steel or aluminum that was more common at the time. Glock pistols are infinitely reliable and simple enough to build that most people can assemble the gun or replace parts without any formal gunsmith education.

Glock barrels include the premium L2D Combat option (top), factory (middle), and Bear Creek Arsenal (bottom)

Ease of parts replacement combined with what some would consider lackluster ergonomics and trigger, plus decades without any significant design changes lead to an explosion of aftermarket options. Now aftermarket solutions can be found everywhere from budget-friend Bear Creek Arsenal barrels to completely re-engineered elite pieces of art from L2D Combat if there's a part of a Glock there are dozens of aftermarket replacement options. I can think of no other top of the line handgun brand that has such a massive aftermarket fanbase supporting it, but why?

Factory Glock slides of varying quality (left) and aftermarket options from Brownell's (bottom right) and L2D Combat (top right)

To GLOCK or NOT?

This is where some feelings may be hurt. Glock let decades go by without making significant design changes and for justifiable reasons. As the saying goes, “If it ain't broke don't fix it” so Glock did (or didn't?).  The pistols work, the tooling was already paid for, and the guns kept selling. In the meantime, profits could be spent on things like the Glock Equestrian Center (which also sells horse semen if you're in the market) and the company enjoyed stunning success. During that time, however, the competition continued to advance and as a result, some consumers found themselves wanting a little more out of their gun.

When front slide serrations became popular the aftermarket responded, the same with lightening cuts, optics-mounting solutions, and of course who could forget a replacement for those plastic sights! Triggers are also easily “remedied” from dozens of aftermarket companies all promising to fix that squishy Glock feel. They may or may not improve the gun in your mind, but the options are out there, and therein lies the rub.

While a major plus to the Glock platform is the ease of both parts availability and at-home modifications, the cost adds up. When I finally got my Glock 19 to where I personally wanted it I realized I had more than doubled what I had in the gun and merely patched the issues that I could have avoided by simply getting a different gun. Would I have known any better had I started with something other than what the local gun store clerk pushed in my face? Probably not. I'm grateful for the learning journey that used Gen 3 Glock 19 put me on, and still have that pistol today, but it is not my carry gun nor have I taken it to the range in some time. What do you think of your GLOCK pistol?

See more at www.us.glock.com

About Graham BaatesG B Guns

“Graham Baates” is a pen name used by a 15-year active Army veteran who spent most of his time in the tactical side of the Intelligence community including tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Post-Army Graham spent some time in the local 3-Gun circuit before becoming a full-time NRA Certified defensive handgun instructor and now works as an industry writer while curating a YouTube channel on the side. Visit Graham on Youtube .

Dave
Dave
29 days ago

I have shot a number of Glock handguns (and many others) however, in the same price range, I much prefer CZ handguns. I like the overall fit and feel of a CZ, but what really seem to give CZ a better than average edge is the lower bore axis that results in less jump, allowing me to come back on target quicker and with more accuracy, and I find that the triggers on the CZ handguns have a much smother and controlled action than almost any other handgun in the price range. I have carried concealed for 57 years.

Mikial
Mikial
29 days ago

This entire Glock vs ‘insert name’ conversation gets wearing and repetitive. A Glock handgun is just that, a Glock. Just as a Sig – Beretta – 1911 handgun is what it is. The term “Glock Fan-Boy” was coined by the old “I hate plastic guns” crowd 20+ years ago because they felt somehow threatened by Glocks, and I was surprised and disappointed to even see it used in what is supposed to be a serious gun blog discussion. Glock carriers are no more ‘fan boys’ than someone who carries a 1911 is a 1911 fan-boy or someone who likes Sigs… Read more »

Pa John
Pa John
29 days ago

Visit the following two websites and peruse the many fine aftermarket goodies they make available for all sorts of other-than-Glock firearms. https://gallowayprecision.com/ https://lakelinellc.com/ I am sure there are many more but those two are good enough that I remember them right off the top of my head. Fix up your sub-$200 Taurus G2 with glow-in-the-dark tritium night sights and a stainless steel recoil rod and 18 lb recoil spring (factory spring is 16 lbs) and so forth, just for one example… BOOKMARK those two websites – you never know if and when you may come across some bargain priced handgun… Read more »

THE HOOK
THE HOOK
29 days ago

My input isn’t really so much about the gun as it is the manufacturer. My duty gun is a Glock and it’s totally stock except for the back strap change. I leave it stock oviously for legal reasons. However like many of you I own a lot of Glocks, some I leave stock some I experiment with just for fun. From a marketing stand point why didn’t the R & D people at Glock realize that there was a vast untapped market for Glock parts they have missed out on millions if not billions of dollars if they’d just been… Read more »

RoyD
RoyD
Reply to  THE HOOK

I recently ordered two locking blocks and three sets of receiver pins and they were all aftermarket because factory Glock parts were not available.

SGT_Wombat
SGT_Wombat
29 days ago

I thought that it’s a liability to modify your EDC gun, especially the trigger. It can be used against you in a court of law, “The factory trigger wasn’t sufficient for him he had to get one with a 4 lb trigger pull to shoot my client more easily.” My Colt Commander is stock, S&W M&P Shield is stock and my Glock is stock.

Ray
Ray
29 days ago

I could not have said it better my self. When you can buy an out of the box ready to defend you and your family or enjoy shooting, why buy something that you have continually up grade to reach that same quality ? Which in my opinion is not attainable with the Glock. I am so tired of every book I read everyone has a GLOCK, give me a break. I’ll take my Springfield XDS or Ruger, Smith, or Colt, out of the box ready.

Don
Don
Reply to  Ray

That is silly. You do not need to continually have a need to upgrade Glocks. If you don’t like plastic sights, just order the gun with the optional night sights to begin with. Upgrade to reach the same quality? The same quality of what? The 4 brands you list are also ran competitors. You can’t be serious when you included Colt.

Z
Z

No problems here

gregs
gregs
30 days ago

not a fan boy is an understatement. using gb’s logic, then the 1911 would also not be a good handgun to own. it has many aftermarket parts. some people do not like the weight, shape, grip dimensions or lack of front serrations. the reason i have a firearm is for protection and my glock has never had a malfunction in over 15 years of regular range time and daily carry, although i have never had to fire it at any animal (two or four legged). and like jw stated, if i wanted to i could purchase aftermarket items (haven’t) they… Read more »

Ray
Ray
Reply to  gregs

I beg your pardon, the .45 ACP is one the most reliable hand guns ever made. Mine works all the time, every time, and eats anything I feed it. It is easy to maintain but don’t need to be babied. Besides when you run out of ammo you can beat the snot out of someone with it and not damage it.

Don
Don
Reply to  Ray

You missed Gregs point entirely.

JDL
JDL
30 days ago

I equate my defensive pistol to a parachute. It has to work when I need it. Period. Reliability is the highest priority. Practice with a stock Glock and you will be proficient without all of the modifications. It doesn’t matter if there are beauty cuts in the slide, fancy shaped cuts in the front of the slide, a solid gold trigger blade, or any of the other hundreds of modifications available for Glocks. Other brands have different features to differentiate their Glopy (Glock copy) guns under the guise of an improvement. I also don’t put spinning rims and a cigar… Read more »

Last edited 30 days ago by JDL
SGT_Wombat
SGT_Wombat
Reply to  JDL

Put enough rounds down range in rapid fire and the barrel can become a cigar lighter 🙂

JW
JW
30 days ago

I think of Glock as the Iphone of the gun world. If you want a certain type of holster or accessory, you can bet the farm they will make it to fit a Glock. That said, I carry one completely stock except for sights because I shoot it well, whatever holster I want to use will be made to fit it, and God forbid I should ever need to use it, I assume it would go into “evidence” and I’ll never see it again, so I’ll get another one just like it for a minimal expense. There are others that… Read more »

Last edited 30 days ago by JW
RoyD
RoyD
30 days ago

All of which just goes to show that “Graham Baates” is not necessarily a smart person. On the other hand he still owns one of the best carry pistols on the planet, so there is that.

Nam62
Nam62
30 days ago

The Glock is Broke!! Till they fix their Bad grip angle I will never buy one!!!!

Green Mtn. Boy
Green Mtn. Boy
30 days ago
Reply to  Nam62

Agreed,the best way to fix the ills of a Glock frame is replace it with a Polymer 80,Strike Ind or one of the other perfected frames that exist for that very purpose.

Knute
Knute
30 days ago
Reply to  Green Mtn. Boy

As a gunsmith, I can tell you that the Glock is not a bad gun (there are no BAD guns, but some are a lot better than others), but there are sure lots better choices out there. As a cheap plastic pistol, they’re as good as any other cheap gun is. But they have nothing over the Smith’s, the Springfield’s, or any other plastic framed, striker-fired pistol. Except for the extra 200.00 cost, OFC. 🙂

Don
Don
Reply to  Knute

A Glock 17 Gen 5 with NS sells for around $500. It’s worth it.

Knute
Knute
Reply to  Don

Don) And the S&W SD series RETAILS for 389.00, and it’s the same gun! Street price… about 300.00. And out of that Smith has to pay a 4.00 royalty to Glock for each one sold, for using their patents. Glock’s are simply 200.00 overpriced. There is no other way to ‘spin’ it.
You can like being raped if you want, but the bottom line is clear. Glock is bending you over, and you don’t even know it.

gcm
gcm
Reply to  Nam62

Did you ever think your grip might be broken?

Don
Don
Reply to  Nam62

The grip angle is perfect. Don’t expect to spend ten years or more shooting a 1911 and then go to any other frame style. People develop muscle memory and it takes awhile to adapt. Once you become a Glock shooter, other guns feel odd. I no longer buy or use other makes of handguns and think it is a poor idea to be switching around like so many people do. Learn your carry gun and stick with it. I retired 18 years ago and I can still pick up a Glock 17 and it points perfectly.