Indiana State Senator Liz Brown (R), and Leadership, Kills Constitutional Carry

Hoosier Governor To Defend The Second Amendment? - Eric Holcomb, iStock-884171528
Indiana State Senator Liz Brown (R), and Leadership, Kills Constitutional Carry, iStock-884171528

U.S.A.-(AmmoLand.com)- Indiana appeared to have a good chance of passing Constitutional Carry in 2021. The House passed the bill 64 – 31. A majority of Republicans in the Senate called for the bill’s passage.  From therepublic.com:

Republicans easily pushed the proposal through the Indiana House, but Senate leaders have decided against taking up the bill in the final weeks of this year’s legislative session even though it was co-sponsored by 21 GOP members of the 50-person Senate.

The Indiana Senate has 39 Republicans and 11 Democrats. The opposition of key Republican leaders killed Constitutional Carry through the simple expedient of inaction.

Republican State Senator Liz Brown of Ft. Wayne killed the bill by never scheduling it for a committee hearing. From the indystar.com:

Fort Wayne Republican Sen. Liz Brown, the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee where the bill has been sitting, declined to give the bill a hearing before the deadline, effectively killing the legislation.

Instead, in the last week bills can be heard in committee, she gave a hearing to a resolution emphasizing the Indiana Senate’s commitment “to protect the constitutional right to keep and bear arms.”

Liz Brown was supported in the killing of the bill by the Republican Senate President Pro Tem Rodric Bray.  Bray may have organized the killing of the bill. From pdclarion.com:

Specifically, Bray said he concurs with the Hoosier Gun Rights organization that the requirement in the legislation for Indiana to create a database of individuals barred from possessing a gun due to a felony or domestic violence conviction, dishonorable military discharge, or history of mental illness is a “poison pill,” since data restrictions and privacy concerns inevitably will prevent such a database from being created.

Bray said eliminating the handgun license without creating the database means Indiana police officers will have no easy way of knowing whether a person they encounter on the street with a gun is legally permitted to be carrying the weapon.

That interpretation of the bill is disputed.  From journalgazette.net:

Guy Relford, a Second Amendment attorney in Carmel, disputed Bray’s characterization of the bill. He also has a radio show called “The Gun Guy.”

“This is an outright lie. H.B. 1369 did not mandate any new ‘database’ at all and certainly did NOT contain a ‘poison pill,’” he said in a Facebook post. “The bill simply required a ‘process’ for getting information in existing criminal history databases, … to an officer on the street. That process could be as simple as a radio call or an email.”

Resolution SR 39, has many lofty sentences about supporting the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It has no force of law. It may be a coincidence it was passed by Senator Brown’s committee on April Fool’s day.

President Pro Tem Bray offers a consolation prize of eliminating the current $75 fee for an Indiana lifetime carry permit. From wane.com:

Instead, the Senate will support eliminating the $75 fee for a lifetime permit after the Legislature eliminated the state’s five-year permit fee in a 2019 bill.

If the Indiana Senate can eliminate the fee for a lifetime permit, they could easily have passed Constitutional Carry, if President Pro Tem Bray had wished to pass it. Bray represents Indiana Senate District 37.

About Dean Weingarten:

Dean Weingarten has been a peace officer, a military officer, was on the University of Wisconsin Pistol Team for four years, and was first certified to teach firearms safety in 1973. He taught the Arizona concealed carry course for fifteen years until the goal of Constitutional Carry was attained. He has degrees in meteorology and mining engineering, and retired from the Department of Defense after a 30 year career in Army Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation.

Dean Weingarten

6 months ago

I hate scumbag politicians worse thsn Illinoise Nazis.

Markeb2800
Markeb2800
6 months ago

Get busy Indiana patriots. Primary the traitors out of office.

APG member
APG member
6 months ago

Well golly gee it is the fault of those bad ol’ RINOS! If that is what you really believe you should just turn in your guns now.

Last edited 6 months ago by APG member
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  APG member

Well if the House passed it 64-31 and the Senate has a majority of republicans, (39 to 11) and 21 of them co-sponsored the bill. who do you think killed the bill you shitbird?

Random71
Random71
Reply to  APG member

I dont like to blame RINOs blindly. In this case however, the RINO’s killed it.

I am sure that marching orders from Lily/Pfizer came down and had to followed. It is still Indiana and down in the Statehouse, they know who butters their bread.

As I said below she was a useless petty tyrant on the city council as well.

Edit: Why is it when I speak directly of MY “representative” (as in the state senator for my district) it needs approval? If anyone would have the right to criticize her, would it not be her direct constituent?

Last edited 6 months ago by Random71
J Gibbons
J Gibbons
Reply to  Random71

There were a number of factors involved. A big piece of it was the pushback from ISP Superintendent Doug Carter. Either way, Bray and Brown need to go in 2022 since they clearly don’t have the backbone to do the right thing. Indiana is strong on 2A and should be strengthening that position in light of the BS coming from DC.

CourageousLion
CourageousLion
6 months ago

Massa…may I please have yo permission to carry a gun to protect myself and family massa? That’s what a permit reeks of to me.

Degforyou
Degforyou
6 months ago

The longer we the people wait the harder it’s gonna be to take back our country. If I was a good leader I’d set up time and place for all that is on board to take back our country to be there. Someone step up and take control, I’ll be there. I am fed up with all the bu////it that is going on.

Boz
Boz
6 months ago

Is RINO considered large game? Asking for a friend.

Reply to  Boz

No, but Apathetic U.S. citizens ARE! (At least that’s what my friend said?)

Random71
Random71
Reply to  Boz

Invasive species, perhaps? I am not sure.

CourageousLion
CourageousLion
Reply to  Boz

Soon…soon…wait patiently.

BigMikeU
BigMikeU
6 months ago

I just cant understand how anyone has to pass a law to carry. Its like the people that swore an oath to protect and defend the contents of our Constitution and Bill of Rights ,ignore the very thing they swore to protect and defend?These people would have bene considered “traitors” not too long ago and imprisoned or most likely “hanged” for their crimes or inactions that is a crime in it self. The lack of consideration and passing this law will end up equating in deaths on the streets by criminals and terrorist like Antifa….(Antifa/CAIR/BLM/Moslem Brotherhood-have all partnered) when i… Read more »

Reply to  BigMikeU

First of all, NOBODY has the authority to “give you freedom”. THAT is up to whatever level of freedom that the the individual feels they are capable of fighting for. But you do NOT sit around and wait for someone to come along and give it to you… YOU TAKE IT AND DEFEND IT! As for ANY elected or appointed official that has violated their Oath of Office? The fourth federal law, 18 U.S.C. 1918 provides penalties for violation of oath office described in 5 U.S.C. 7311 which include: (1) removal from office and; (2) confinement or a fine. The definition of “advocate” is further… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by USMC0351Grunt
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
6 months ago

When I moved out of the People’s Republik of Illinois, I’m glad that i went to Iowa. Governor Reynolds just signed constitutional carry.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
6 months ago

BTW, I’ll maintain my permit to visit other states.

BigMikeU
BigMikeU
6 months ago

Yeah i have some family that i will be leaving behind as they dont see things like i do.My wife seems to have an issue with me buying i t in a state that allows open carry….yano a red state not a purple or nothing. Have looked around a bit and i could basically get 10 to 15Acres for about 15K to 25K or there abouts? It dosnt have to be finished land although i would like water on it as well as some open areas, and not just dense forest. I know im getting kind of specific but i… Read more »

Bill
Bill
Reply to  BigMikeU

Texas has ports on the Gulf.

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Bill

Land may be available for such prices in some parts of Texas, but around here 25k/acre would be more likely. Been looking to see if I could find 40 affordable acres within an hour’s drive – but finding 10-25 acres for 400-700k$. I’ll just keep looking and hoping 🙂

If willing to go out toward Abilene or Midland I suspect it’s considerably cheaper – but still probably more than you’re thinking.

J Gibbons
J Gibbons
Reply to  Bill

Need more strong 2A supporters to move to Texas to counteract the big businesses fleeing CA for Houston and Austin. Texas almost went blue a few years ago. That would be a trajedy.

CourageousLion
CourageousLion
6 months ago

I visit states all the time without a permit. Once I vistited about 6 of them with two pistols and a semi auto KelTec 2000 and an AR 15. Gosh, and no one died. Never asked anyone for permission. I’m not going to start now.

BigMikeU
BigMikeU
6 months ago

in the process of leaving Comrade Murphy’s Communist state of New Jersey. I gota go even if that means my wife and i have a long distance relationship! Im selling my house in a few weeks and using some of that to get property in a free state and then ill build something on it myself!

Henry Bowman
Henry Bowman
6 months ago

Indiana, land of the RINO. We’ve been trying for well over a decade to get Constitutional Carry, and RepubliCANTs say they support 2A but consistently refuse to let go of the infringement that many constitutionalists call “permission slips”. Dean is right, if you can have free lifetime carry then there’s no reason to not have constitutional carry. I’ve had my lifetime carry since it first became available, but I’m fixing to leave Indiana for a free state (next to Canuckistan but way out west). I’m tired of cuckservatives and commiecrats violating my rights just because they think they know better… Read more »

Stag
Stag
6 months ago

This has been happening in Texas for over a decade.

Reply to  Stag

And every two years, when it happens, it pisses me off to no end. We thought, once we got rid of thst ass clown Dennis Bonnen…

BigMikeU
BigMikeU
6 months ago

Yeah i am selling my house in a blue state and fleeing it and taking my toys and batteries and going! I was thinking Texas or maybe Arizona but after some recent events im thinking not? I dont want a purple state but a totally RED one that wont go blue before i die!! Its the only way i see myself peacefully waiting out my days. I do not want to pick up a rifle again and have to fight!!! But i will if i have too and then its like a switch.There wont be much anyone can do to… Read more »

musicman44mag
musicman44mag
Reply to  BigMikeU

I am really happy that AZ decided to make it a law not to follow any new federal non constitutional gun laws that are implemented. That puts it number one in my books. I am waiting for South Dakota and Wyoming to follow suit. South Dakota is the most Republican state in the US and Wyoming has more republicans than demonrats by a large margin.

Last edited 6 months ago by musicman44mag
Savage
Savage
Reply to  musicman44mag

You seem to be forgetting Oklahoma.

Reply to  BigMikeU

I was thinking about founding a “Wild Bunch Club” of likeminded individuals, sworn to go out in a blaze like Butch and Sundance.

Bill
Bill
6 months ago

Bonnen was bad. Strauss was TERRIBLE. Glad they are both GONE! Phelan is an ally of Bonnen so we’ll see if he is worth a hoot or not!

Reply to  Bill

I thought he had already shown himself to be a weasle…?

JSNMGC
JSNMGC
Reply to  Stag
Stripeseven
Stripeseven
6 months ago

The knife blades in your backs are the evidence that you have been deceived. Just wow…

Winchester1873
Winchester1873

Another useless woman…

Random71
Random71
Reply to  Winchester1873

Was useless on city council too. Damned straight ticket voters.

nrringlee
nrringlee
6 months ago

Let us play a little game. Now, those of you who are gun owners in Indiana raise your right hand. Keep those hands in the air while answering this next question. Those of you who trust the Republican Party to defend your enumerated natural rights raise your left hand. Now, keeping both hands high in the air stand up and march off and pass under that arch with the words “Arbeit Macht Frei” on it. Stand still while you get your mark of the beast tattoo. And remain silent until the progressive fascists decide what to do with your pathetic… Read more »

Reply to  nrringlee

We dont send elected legislators to Washington, or to our state capitols, to “vote their conscience”.

Henry Bowman
Henry Bowman
Reply to  nrringlee

RINOs are just commiecrats in elephant skin.

BigMikeU
BigMikeU
Reply to  nrringlee

AMEN Brother!!!I dont trust any of them but one dose have to pick the lessor of two evils and if it wasnt for Trump we would still not know what was going on in DC! Theft, Murder and “Pedophilia” has run ramped long enough! Im truly surprised the left didnt try to assassinate Trump! I was praying for his ass every day! Now so called patriots stood by and allowed the theft of our Presidency! The right in DC stood there with their mouths shut but for a very few! Gatez was one of them and has been one of… Read more »

Reply to  BigMikeU

“I will never abide by any policies, laws or executive orders this Illegitimate “Government” try to impose on the people! You don’t have to: Un-Constitutional What does it mean if something is unconstitutional?: not according or consistent with the constitution of a body politic (such as a nation) an unconstitutional infringement on rights. Illegal means that a given activity by a person, group, or organization violates a law. Unconstitutional means that a law violates conditions laid down in the constitution, and therefore is not a law and is not enforceable… as applied by the independent judiciary, all the way up to the supreme court. It’s… Read more »

Watch um
Watch um
6 months ago

Sounds about like our politicians in Alabama. My heart goes out to those who hold the plain and simple words of the second amendment as the law of the land.

Random71
Random71
Reply to  Watch um

Hell the Indiana constitution is even more clear and blunt than the 2nd, Art. 1 sec 32.
No need for the subordinate militia clause, per Article 12 all males age 17+ are subject to call up unless legally exempted.

APG member
APG member
6 months ago

VOTE REPUBLICAN! Your gun rights will be protected HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Terry
Terry
Reply to  APG member

Both sides have the best politicians that money can buy!

Henry Bowman
Henry Bowman
Reply to  APG member

Republicans and Commiecrats are opposite wings on the same bird of prey.

Reply to  Henry Bowman

Their defacto single party governance may come with Unintended Consequrnces.

Random71
Random71
6 months ago

“Thus the right of nullification meant by Mr. Jefferson is the natural right, which all admit to be a remedy against insupportable oppression.” -James Madison

“The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.” – Article 1 Section 32, Constitution of the State of Indiana.

Do the math.

ALL GUN LAWS ARE INFRINGEMENTS
ALL GUN LAWS ARE INFRINGEMENTS
6 months ago

ITS BS! They are like scared children to give back our rights that have been stolen from us! Vote them OUT!

Grigori
Grigori
6 months ago

…and when we are unable to vote them out because the system is hopelessly rigged and/or the majority of the electorate is severely mentally retarded, then what?

Last edited 6 months ago by Grigori
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  Grigori

The Founding Fathers gave us the 2A for a reason.

They meant for it to be used.

Grigori
Grigori
Reply to  Ansel Hazen

Exactly!

nrringlee
nrringlee
Reply to  Ansel Hazen

Against tyranny. Not deer. Tyranny and tyrants.

Terry
Terry
Reply to  Grigori

‘the majority of the electorate is severely mentally retarded’
Some are, however, I would cast my vote for corrupt.

Grigori
Grigori
Reply to  Terry

I get where you are to a point Terry, but every time I go out to shop for groceries, pick up fast food, or whatever, the number of compliant, obedient, mask-wearing, zombies I see everywhere screams that I am right about the severely MR part. I mean, they outnumber the rest of us about 95 to 5.

Last edited 6 months ago by Grigori
Reply to  Grigori

And they ALWAYS WILL! People in general are weak-minded carbon deposits and they show this to us by their will to be followers rather than leaders.

nrringlee
nrringlee
Reply to  Terry

They went to public school. Same thing. Strive for not only gun rights but for universal school vouchers for ALL children in the United states.

nrringlee
nrringlee
Reply to  Grigori

Years ago we had a saying in US Southern Command concerning elections and election fraud. Banana Republics have a choice. Ballots or bullets. We are now a Banana Republic. Same choice.

PMinFl
PMinFl
Reply to  nrringlee

So sad but so true.

Reply to  Grigori

Another lemming…. See my response above to “ALL GUN LAWS ARE INFRINGEMENTS.

Reply to  Grigori

2nd Amendment remedies.

6 months ago

“Vote them OUT!” Ahhhh, the battle cry, or should I say whimper of the weak-minded lemmings! YOU DO NOT “VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE!” You reach down into your pants and pull up whatever balls you find in them and USE THEM, or the guy standing next to you if necessary! PAY ATTENTION! EVERY LAW ON THE BOOKS HAS A PENALTY FOR VIOLATING THAT LAW! The PENALTY for Violating the Oath of Office: The fourth federal law, 18 U.S.C. 1918 provides penalties for violation of oath office described in 5 U.S.C. 7311 which include: (1) removal from office and; (2) confinement or a fine. The definition of… Read more »