Today is Tuesday, July 29, 2014rss RSS feed
Second Amendment Letter Writing

Texas Senator Ted Cruz Needs Letters Supporting the Second Amendment

Texas State Rifle Association

Texas State Rifle Association

Houston, Tx --(Ammoland.com)- U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, & Human Rights :

The Senate committee listed above will take up the subject of “Proposals to Reduce Gun Violence: Protecting Our Communities While Respecting the Second Amendment” next Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. Senator Cruz is the Ranking Member of this subcommittee.

Senator Cruz is asking for your help.

Please be willing to submit your thoughts on a relevant topic for Sen.Cruz and the committee to consider in the form of a formal letter to the committee which makes either a pro 2nd Amendment argument or a tells a short, compelling, personal story about how you exercised your 2nd Amendment rights in a positive way, such as in defense of yourself, your family, your business, or how you scared off a robber.

Please submit your stories and statements in MS Word, well-written and clear. Then send as an attachment to the email address of Senator Cruz’s staff below.

• Jon_McClellan@cruz.senate.gov

Statements must be received by Monday, 02/11/2013 in order to be helpful. Your statement could be submitted into the Congressional Record.

Senator Dick Durbin is the Chairman of the subcommittee and prides himself on carrying in a large stack of statements from the other side to showcase and submit into the record.

Texas Senator Cruz would like to be ready to respond in kind.

Please share this annoucment with any and all Texans who have a story to tell.

TSRA-backed legislation is listed and update at TSRA.com. Check often for Updates and Explanations for what’s going on in the Texas Legislature. More information can be found at http://www.legis.state.tx.us

Thank you and welcome to new TSRA members. Thank you for keeping Texas strong. Now get to writing and make it good.

Also, keep in mind that political action committee funds (PAC) need to be replenished before the next election cycle so we can help re-elect those who help us in the Texas Legislature. Go to www.tsra.com

Keep the faith,

Legislative Director

Sincerely,
Alice Tripp
Legislative DirectorTexas State Rifle Association

About:The Mission of the Texas State Rifle Association is to protect and defend the inalienable rights of the individual Texan to acquire, possess, transport, carry, transfer ownership and enjoy the right to lawful use of firearms for self preservation, for the defense of family and property and the common defense of the Republic and the individual liberties of the people. Visit: www.TSRA.com

• 27 User comments to “Texas Senator Ted Cruz Needs Letters Supporting the Second Amendment”

1. Palin Smith on February 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM said:

Here is my video letter.

2. AS A VOTING VETERAN I SAY LEAVE MY 2ND AMENDMENT ALONE AND IN ADDISON I SAY THE DICK ACT OF 1902 ALSO SAY’S THAT TO MAKE LAWS TO CONTROL ARMS IS AGAINST THE LAW SO IF IT IS DONE THEN THE LAW BREAKERS SHOULD BE CHARGED AND IMPRISONED FOR TRYING TO DESTROY THIS WONDERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY WE HAVE

3. Orrin Potter on February 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM said:

Charlton Heston said it best FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS. I know he wasn’t the first to say it but he sure said it well.

4. Tell me what month “20″ is as in “20/11/2013″ which you put in your story. Do you not proofread articles before committing them to print??

5. Bruce the article said 02/11/2013, not 20/11/2013.

6. JAMES MC CORMACK on February 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM said:

Support the 2nd amndmnt.Keep the Constitution intact.

7. David Reynolds on February 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM said:

Leave the second amendment in tact, do not take my ability to protect my family and loved one’s due to the immoral actions of other mentally duranged criminals that would find another source to create violence if oprotunity presented itself.

8. Please Sir protect our Constitution and the 2nd amnendent in particular ! Thanks I have great faith in you and appreciate your service and leadership on the preservation our constitutional rights ! A proud fellow Anerican and Texan.

9. John Estill on February 8, 2013 at 3:36 AM said:

Do not use the Sandy Hook Elementary as an excuse to impose more restrictions on The People. Enforce the laws already on the books including punishing the criminals who use firearms during crimes. Improve support for those with mental health issues. Millions of gun owners will not comply with anymore infringement on their Second Amendment RIGHT!

10. Leave the right to bear arms. ( 2nd amendment ) RIGHTS. ALONE. If your going to take away the right. Then remove the fence around the White House. No more secret service. No security service for the presidents kids. They can go to a public school. My POINT being. We all have that personal security that we need. That’s why our forefathers wrote it into our constitution. And when we elect our leaders we need to check them like they do us in order to purchase our fire arms. CLOSELY. This country has been protected by fire arms. And that’s what I’m planning on doing for my family. I’m a veteran and I believe in serving and protecting that constitutions. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

11. I have lived both sides of the Coin, I grew up a preacher’s kid, and then went to a life of crime, and now I am back on the right path. What got me started was low self-esteem and a glorified view of Billy the kid. I saw bill as a kid fighting the corrupt government and companies. I never really thought about the damage being done to the people that were actually dealing with me. Removing the glorification of violence and crime from the media would be a big start, second thing we need a way to reach out to the kids hurting inside, not because they are pore, not because they are bullied but just because satin grabs some people better than others. For me I grew up helping every one. You needed help I was there one day I realized I did not have anyone that was there for me. I got angry started drinking a lot more I started to think well if I can’t have real friends may be I can buy them, Seems to work for the rich.
      What I am trying to say is in order to stop the Violence first you have to understand why. Now some people are just born evil and there is no stopping them but I bet there is a way to reach out and stop a lot of violence and removing guns that protects people from the wicked and confused is not a good Idea, pulse there the side of the 2 amendment that I see most important. And that is the fight against Tyranny. If American people give up their guns, then what Stops Washington from doing whatever they want. Washington already does not listen to the people, and you guys have shown that breaking the Constitution is not a big deal as long as you get what you want. The reason people need full auto weapons, armored vehicles, armor piercing rounds, assault type weapons, Is because that is what you have. and if you don’t stop taking the freedoms from the people, if you don’t bring the government back in to the confines of the constitution then one of two things will happen the guns won’t be used and we will lie down and become your slave or we will rise up capture try and hang the traders that broke the Constitution.
      If you would like to talk about the things I think would help lower violent crime you know how to contact me.

12. Kory Booth on February 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM said:

Sent today:
      Senator Ted Cruz
      Via Email: Jon_McClellan@cruz.senate.gov

Dear Senator Cruz:

I am a lawyer in Texas, California and Colorado, and also a member of the bar of several federal courts including the Supreme Court of the United States. I studied the Constitution during my undergraduate years at UCLA and during law school at the University of Denver College of Law. I also interned in the United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations under Senator Sam Nunn, Ret. I grew up in a family that possessed guns used for hunting and self-defense, if necessary. I was raised with an attitude that government should not be trusted, much like the Forefathers of our country. My family has been here for over 100 years longer than the United States has existed, at least as early as the arrival of the Mayflower.

It is with my background and education that I am truly outraged and disgusted at the flagrant attempts by certain members of the Democratic Party to eviscerate my inalienable right to keep and bear arms. I choose to retain my right to protect myself and my family from tyranny, for defense, for hunting, and for any other lawful purpose. The right to keep and bear arms is my birthright. The Constitution does not grant me such right but serves as a reminder that government may not intrude on my natural ability to preserve liberty. Congress, the President, the Supreme Court, and the individual states will not eviscerate my right because I will not permit it. And I am only one of many.
      Sincerely,

Kory S. Booth

13. Michael D Peterson on February 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM said:

I’m a retired US Army Infantryman who spent 22 years on active duty and who served in Operation Desert Storm,Operation Joint Guard, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Overall, this is a really good video with lots of factual information. With that said, I think there is one thing that needs to be clarified pertaining to the ammo. There are several different types of ammo for the AR-15. Some of these will over-penetrate in a home defense scenario. The current military round, the M855, 62 grain, full metal jacket with steel penetrator is one of them. The round I believe you are referring to is the older M193, 55 grain, full metal jacket round. The M193 round will penetrate the first layer of a sheetrock wall but it will deform and break up to the point that it will not penetrate the second layer of sheetrock. On the other hand, the M855 round, which can easily penetrate 1/4″ plate steel, will certainly penetrate both layers of a sheetrock wall and, it will still have enough energy to kill a person in that room. I don’t have accurate information of the multitude of other commercially produced ammo but, for “home defense”, you should only use the M193 or other similar round that will not over penetrate. The M855 round should be avoided for this application. If you have doubts, you can test this yourself by taking two pieces of sheetrock to a range, attaching them to two 2×4′s 16″ apart, with about a 4″ space between them and shoot it with different rounds to determine whether they will over penatrate or not. When it comes to protecting your family, the best information is gained from personal experience.

14. Obama is stepping over the line the 2nd amendment gives the people that right this man dose not respect the American CONSITUTION which is the law of this land and he was sworn in to up hold and to preserve and preserve means unchanged. (impeach)

15. John Gillmore on February 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM said:

The 2nd Amendment is all about defending the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic…the use of any firearms that we have at our disposal should be protected! The 2nd is not about deer hunting or duck hunting, its about protecting the Constitution!

16. Charlie Johnson on February 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM said:

I found this the other day on the C&E Gun show website. I find this interesting since what NY has done to the 2nd Amendment.

Five of the states that ratified the Constitution also sent demands for a Bill of Rights to Congress. All these demands included a right to keep and bear arms. Here, in relevant part, is their text:

New Hampshire: Twelfth[:] Congress shall never disarm any Citizen unless such as are or have been in Actual Rebellion.

Virginia: . . . Seventeenth, That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well regulated Militia composed of the body of the people trained to arms is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free State. That standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the circumstances and protection of the Community will admit; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to and governed by the Civil power.

New York: . . . That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms; that a well regulated Militia, including the body of the People capable of bearing Arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free State; That the Militia should not be subject to Martial Law except in time of War, Rebellion or Insurrection. That Standing Armies in time of Peace are dangerous to Liberty, and ought not to be kept up, excess in Cases of necessity; and that at all times, the Military should be under strict Subordination to the civil Power.

North Carolina: Almost identical to Virginia demand, but with “the body of the people, trained to arms” instead of “the body of the people trained to arms.”

Rhode Island: Almost identical to Virginia demand, but with “the body of the people capable of bearing arms” instead of “the body of the people trained to arms,” and with a “militia shall not be subject to martial law” proviso as in New York.

17. James McCravy MSgt USAF (Ret) on February 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM said:

I spent 22 years active duty upholding my oath to “…protect and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic…” My oath is my bond. It is a damned shame that our president and many members of our Congress do not have the same integrity. Obama does not have to worry about re-election – can we make him sweat impeachment? And Congress – YOU’RE FIRED!!!

18. DAVID J. SUSI on February 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM said:

IT’S TIME OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS BE REMINDED, THAT THE OATH THEY TOOK UPON ENTERING OFFICE, WAS TO THE CONSTITUTION. IT WAS NOT TO A SINGLE MAN, WOMAN OR A DISTRICT OF VOTERS! IT WAS NOT TO AN IDEOLOGY,TO BOW TO PUBLIC OPINION, OR TO ENFORCE AN AGENDA. TO ALLOW BY ACTION OR INACTION, THE BREAKING OF THAT OATH,IN MY OPINION, IS A ACT OF TREASON! YOU DON’T AMEND THE “TEN COMMANDMENTS”, BECAUSE THEY’VE BECOME AN INCONVENIENCE, NEITHER SHOULD YOU ARBITRARILY,MISINTERPRET THE CONSTITUTION, TO SUIT YOUR POLICIES! THE FOUNDING FATHERS KNEW HOW DANGEROUS LEADERS COULD BE, WHICH IS WHY YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THEIR STATEMENTS, ALONG WITH THE LETTER OF THE CONSTITUTION. ” A FREE PEOPLE OUGHT NOT ONLY BE ARMED AND DISCIPLINED, BUT SHOULD HAVE SUFFICIENT SUPPLIES OF ARMS AND AMMUNITION, TO MAINTAIN A STATE OF INDEPENDENCE FROM THOSE THAT WOULD ABUSE THEM, WHICH WOULD INCLUDE THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT”: GEORGE WASHINGTON. THIS IS A REFERENCE TO THE “PEOPLE” NOT JUST TO “MILITIAS”. THIS WHOLE ADMINISTRATION, NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT UP ON CHARGES OF VIOLATING THEIR OATHS! MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA!

19. Jack corrigan on February 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM said:

I’m a 73 year old veteran never owned a gun until recently fear of my govt prompted me to obtain a lic to carry

20. Ronnie Lamb on February 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM said:

I am tired of people trying to get my guns. Espically those who know nothing about guns. They don’t understand that bad people will have guns and good people wont have a prayer.

21. Tolbert Parnell on February 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM said:

All my adult life I’ve heard that history repeats itself! It is a fact that it is happening as I type this note! zerobama is doing exactly as Hitler, Stalin & Mussolini did to disarm citizens so they could be imprisoned & executed for no reason!! Folks, we have a fight on our hands & it is coming sooner than later too!I will die defending my rights to bear arms & defend myself,homeland & family!

22. victoria on February 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM said:

sent via email to Sen Cruz this AM

Dear Senator Cruz,
      I am from Austonio, Houston County, Texas we are rural community outside of Crockett-our only law enforcement is County and they are located in Crockett. This area is also the home to multiple prisons-minimum, maximum, work release, etc. My grandpa raised Quarter horse and it was nearly a mile to the highway, nearly 4 to the nearest neighbor. When I was a child we had an escape from one of the area prisons-3 rapists and murderers that somehow through the woods and pastures found the way to our ranch. Luckily it was and still is the norm that we always have a guns within easy reach (we have rattlesnakes and copperheads too). My grandfather and his foreman was able to hold the 3 men at gunpoint for the 45 minutes it took the sheriff to arrive, I cannot imagine what would have happened to us if we had not have had weapons available. These men have murdered a guard escaping so there certainly would have been no hesitation on their part.
      In the area where I grew up every home had a gun leaned by the doors-front and back, every gun was loaded. As children we were taught guns were not toys and do not touch them. My dad, my grandfather and all of my uncles to the best of my knowledge as well as the families of my friends all slept with a gun within hands reach. Not one person including us children was ever shot “accidently” we were raised to never pick up a gun. During hunting season there was a gun in nearly every truck-teachers and students at the school-we also never had a school shooting. We played Cowboys and Indians with toy guns and bows, we watched violent cartoons like Roadrunner & Bugs Bunny-this did not turn us into killers. We also watched a million westerns with the shoot em ups which also did not turn a one of us into a mass murderer (or for that matter into a single murderer). Guns are not the enemy-liberal values are-we were also taught that you respect your elders, your God and your country.
      As a grandmother with 4 grandchildren, 3 of which are girls-I have no intention that they be victims, so I thank you for your support of their 2nd Amendment rights to not be. Maybe instead of gun control people need to focus on the underlying reasons for mass murder.

Sincerely,
      Victoria
      Lovelady, Texas

23. Milton West on February 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM said:

Please tell me, why does Senator Cruz need a “stack of letters” from people trying to justify what they are already granted under the 2nd Amendment? He took an oath to “….preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States”. And, that includes that part of the Constitution that reads, “….. the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Hundreds of thousands of red blooded Americans have given their lives to defend that right and I know that millions of Americans expect Senator Ted Cruz to use EXTREME MEASURES, by a politician’s standard, to prohibit any alteration of the present gun status for sane, law abiding citizens. Otherwise, Obama just might get his shot at declaring martial law and I have not doubt that Americans, at such time, will carry out our forefathers’s purpose for creating the 2nd Amendment. Milton

24. carl c roten on February 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM said:

My wife and I are just waiting to see which states support our God given right to own and carry a gun. As soon as the smoke clears that will be the state we move to. I hope and pray that all gun owners feel the same way. Any body can buy a new home and move and thats what we WILL do.

25. Cal Campbell on February 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM said:

In 2010 there were 39000 Gun related deathes in the US, 19000 of these were suicides, if you take out gang related deaths, it puts the total at less than.oo5% Seems to me we have a mental issue instead of a Gun issue

26. Artiemontoya on February 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM said:

I am leaving my comments in fearof the bedrock of our country the constitutionwill be destroyed piece by piece! As disabled citizen I m well aware of the fact that being paralyzed I may look to be an easier target for. A criminal. Having been in a life threatening situation At night unarmed wishing I had a gun I am not willing to be put in that type of situation again !! Luckily the situation was resolved by a close friend with a gun before it became any worse or anyone was injured but let me tell you standing there in the midst of of a pack of predators I felt so naked and venerable That I vowed to myself to never let that happen again! Showing fear was not an option ! Standing my ground was ! Now unable to run or even walk fast I cannot depend on someone else to be armed and helpfull in the future!! The police are to slow and only come to write an incident report after the fact !, unless you are extremely lucky! I can’t take that chance with my life please do everything you can to defend our second amendment rights and our great constitution! Funny thing all the talk about crime and gun control has never once mentioned criminal control !! Harsher penaltys for the actual root cause of crime and deaths . Hey not? It appears that the real goal is citizen control.

27. Behind the 2nd amendment all the way. we have the right so keep fighting. It;s the people behind the gun that we need to focus on. Taking guns makes us sitting ducks for intruders and/or recreation for hunting and sportsmanship.