CT State’s Attorney Releases Police ‘How to Manual’ for Harassing Gun Owners

Timothy Sugrue
Connecticut’s Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Timothy Sugrue Released a Police ‘How to Manual’ for Harassing Gun Owners
Connecticut Carry
Connecticut Carry

Rocky Hill CT –  -(Ammoland.com)- On February 5th 2016, Connecticut’s Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Timothy Sugrue published a memorandum to the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office detailing first what everyone in Connecticut should already know:

The unconcealed carry of a firearm with a valid Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers is 100% lawful, and that police cannot stop a person carrying a firearm unconcealed (Open Carry) to demand their permit absent Reasonable Articulable Suspicion of a crime.

That is detailed on page one of the memorandum…but.

The memorandum goes on for 5 more pages describing how police in Connecticut can still get away with harassing and detaining citizens not breaking the law. Instead of doing what the State’s Attorney’s office should have done long ago, and clarifying the issue as we have requested, they went on to add to the confusion that police departments experience. Clarifying the issue only needed the first page’s response, nothing else.

But this document was not created to clarify, it was created as a handbook for harassment.

And so, the illegal harassment and detainments of law abiding citizens carrying firearms in a manner prescribed by the law will likely continue by departments that are politically motivated to do so.

“The State’s Attorney’s Office has made it clear that they will put their collectivist politics over the need for them to perform their job as advocates of the law. Mentioning mass shootings and the fear-based political climates that their collectivist ilk have manufactured to describe how police should interact with law abiding members of the population is the height of propaganda.” – Connecticut Carry President Rich Burgess

Connecticut Open Carry Enforcement Guidelines 2016

About Connecticut Carry:

Connecticut Carry is a 501(c)(4) non-partisan, grassroots, non-profit organization dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

For more information, please visit www.CTCarry.com.

Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Charles Moore

Second time today that Ammoland ate a comment that cannot be re-entered! Whose side are you really on??

Charles Moore

” . . . licensed or PRIVILEGED????” The people GAVE the police the PRIVILEGE to carry weapons and to act on OUR BEHALF. They (and the rest of the government) GIVE us NOTHING! HOW you carry it? It is your own private property and you can most certainly transport it in any manner in which you may choose, even though some methods might be unwise safety or security wise. Is this the ghost of the old Army/Navy model laws?? (Note: they were too expensive for poor blacks to buy, therefor self-defense (and even harassment and assault of blacks) was the… Read more »

Bill Michael

It is clear that they are exploring ways to get around your legal right to carry openly.


This will be used at some future time as evidence of harassment in some future lawsuit, and this was unwise for the AG to publish.

HMLA-167 Warrior

I know I am late to the party here, but this is exactly what needs to happen. Every law abiding citizen of the state who is unlawfully detained and/or harassed by the police for legally and lawfully open carrying their firearm must file a lawsuit against the officer, the police department, the author of this “manual,” and the state itself. After enough lawsuits have been filed, the harassment and unlawfully detainment of the citizens will cease. Start using the judicial system, and your voting power, to stop these people from continually stomping on your individual rights as set for in… Read more »


Harassment is not “Politically Correct”. What we see here is a definition of a “domestic threat”.


This clown is part of the 99% of lawyers that give the other 1% a bad name.


Another F*ckhead in the Government ! ! ! !


Email and call Sugrue 24/7 365 days a years explaining your distaste for his police state mentality and violating the publics right to privacy by harassing a law abdiding citizen just because he carries self protection. Show him that law abiding citizens can make his email and phone system the property of the people.


How about a link to the relevant document?