Oregon – -(AmmoLand.com)- SB 978 has it's first “amendment”. It's 44 pages long and turns the bill into a nightmare anti gun bill.
We told you about SB 978 yesterday and assured you that this harmless looking bill was going to be gutted and stuffed with draconian anti-gun language, and it has been.
Here is a link to the “Dash 1” amendment to the bill. And of course we use the word amendment quite loosely.
The “amendment” is 44 pages long. The “bill” was a few paragraphs.
After our first review of the bill here are the elements we noticed immediately. No doubt we missed a few.
If this “amendment” is adopted, the hateful bill will:
- Allow gun stores to refuse to sell firearms and ammunition to young adults (As Bi-mart, Walmart and Fred Meyers have done in violation of the law.)
- Exonerate gun dealers who violated our anti-discrimination laws, even if they did it before this bill was passed. (Get out of jail free card for corporations that broke the law.)
- Require that your self defense firearms be locked up. Under this bill you can be prosecuted even if you did lock up your guns with a cable lock if someone has “access” to a device to defeat the lock. Which of course, is anyone who has access to almost any tool.
- Hold gun owners responsible for two years for guns they “transferred” unless they could prove the transferred gun had a trigger or cable lock. (This is one of the most inane ideas we have ever seen.)
- Hold gun owners responsible for crimes committed with guns that were stolen from them.
- Treat “80 % lowers” as complete guns requiring background checks and registration. If the lower is transferred and has no serial number, the police need a “detailed description: or the lower.
Ban “undetectable firearms.”
- Ban “untraceable firearms”
- Increase CHL fees.
- Allows cities, counties, metropolitan service districts, airports, schools, colleges and universities to ban CHL holders from “public buildings.” Please note. The bill does NOT say buildings owned by those entities. It says “public buildings.” Under this bill a school in John Day could forbid you from carrying your firearm in a public building in Troutdale.
- Ban CHL holders from airports. No, not just the terminal. But the parking lots and grounds “adjacent” to parking lots. Picking up your spouse at the airport? Go to jail.
This “amendment” is insane.
If you can come to the capitol on April 2nd to testify against this please come. The sideshow hearing starts at 8am with sign ups to testify starting at 7.30 am in room 50 in the Capitol basement.
If you cannot be there in person please upload testimony to [email protected]
You can contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee here.
The Senators who support your rights on that committee are: Kim Thatcher, Cliff Bentz and Dennis Linthicum. All the rest are opposed to your rights.
The person allowing this outrage to go on is Senate President Peter Courtney. You can, and should, contact him here.
This is not the end of it. Floyd Prozanski is planning another anti-gun bill to be heard on April 8th 2019 where, not doubt he plans to take away whatever he missed on this bill.
It's essential that you get involved. NOW.
About Oregon Firearms Federation:
The Oregon Firearms Federation has proven itself to be Oregon's only no compromise lobbying group, OFF takes the same tough stands and serves as a vehicle for educating gun owners, promoting their rights and when necessary, fighting the freedom haters in court. Visit: www.oregonfirearms.org