You Need to Learn to Use a Tourniquet ~ VIDEOS

RATS Tourniquet
RATS Tourniquet

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- Tourniquets are a simple but very import tool and skill that you need to have in your range bag, be able to understand their correct use and practice how to apply them effectively as they can save lives including your own.

RATS Tourniquet Application
RATS Tourniquet Application

Here is a selection of great videos that give you a range of instructions on applying and using a Tourniquets. Then visit our friends at My Medic providers of some of the best Tourniquets on the market.

For as little as $18.00 you can save a life, maybe even your own.

tomcat1483
tomcat1483
1 year ago

Folks interested in bleeding control might want to check out Until Help Arrives (https://community.fema.gov/until-help-arrives) and Stop the Bleed (https://www.dhs.gov/stopthebleed) they offer free training and practice on how to stop death from bleeding using tools like tourniquets, wound packing and more.

jukk0u
jukk0u
1 year ago

I have sharpies in all my T kits to write the time the T was applied, in bold letters on the forehead of patient

Jim
Jim
1 year ago

Jim again…I should have added that any padding I use may not be the cleanest. The idea is to get the bleeding stopped and yet to protect the wound and the limb (if possible). The medical professionals can/will deal with any reasonable contamination via the sox, shirt or whatever.

Jim
Jim
1 year ago

Having saved a few lives myself, how about this? Put some type of padding on the wound; shirt sleeve, sox, or real deal sterile padding. Them apply the tourniquet over it all. This will stop the bleeding and yet prevent the tight area shown in the image because that can/will be too sharp of a pressure area and you may well lose the limb (if still attached). Then every 10-15 minutes you could loosen the tourniquet a really small amount (small) few seconds little to allow a bit of blood flow (to avoid blood starvation to the limb–IF THE LIMB… Read more »

tomcat1483
tomcat1483
Reply to  Jim

YOU SHOULD NEVER LOOSEN A TOURNIQUET ONCE APPLIED!

Will
Will
Reply to  tomcat1483

You have to very quickly every ten minutes for blood flow. Gangrene dead tissue and lost of limb can occur otherwise.

Will
Will
Reply to  Jim

,I didn’t know that about blood deprivation to the brain. That’s another reason the tourniquet should be released/tightened quickly every 10 min.

Hankus
Hankus
1 year ago

A sobering fact that was related to me by an EMT is that you can expect to lose the limb when you apply a tourniquet.

mlhtd51
mlhtd51
Reply to  Hankus

Hankus, Lose a Limb, Save a Life, Your Turn

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  mlhtd51

@mlht, Quick Clot. Try Quick Clot first. May not even get to the tourniquet.

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
Reply to  Wild Bill

WB, I carry quick clot(not that brand) and CAT at all times. Compression bandages and other goodies in a backpack in each car at all times, along with hard 3A armor. 1st responders are frequent TOOs. I generally get my stuff from israelifirstaid.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
1 year ago

in Fairfax, Impressive. All I carry is four Quick Clots, two maxi pads, and a roll of duct tape!

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
Reply to  Wild Bill

WB, That oughta work. I was told that I was OCD about safety stuff. I prefer to think of it as being detail oriented. You never need a chest dressing until you REALLY need one. That’s why God made zip-loc and duct tape.

tomcat1483
tomcat1483
Reply to  Hankus

This used to be the wisdom but it is no longer. If the patient can get to to doctor in under 2 hours they can usually save the limb. (depending on injury) After 2 hours it gets dicer. But you can bleed out and die in minutes. Losing just two liters of blood can lead to irreversible shock and death.

Robert
1 year ago

We already had a tourniquet in our kit but still added one of these, both to be prepared and to support patriot businesses

Quick links to purchase

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
1 year ago

Oh, there’s one other training mnemonic for students of the gun. You need to be able to:
-Make holes (your firearm)
-Prevent holes (your armor and the use of hard cover), and
-Plug holes (your medical kit).

All your training, equipment, and practice needs to revolve around these three basics.

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
1 year ago

When I was in, the basic first aid protocol was “ABCD”; Airway open, Bleeding stopped, Control shock, Dress wound. If you’re spilling all your blood rapidly into the dirt then “B” goes to the top of the triage. Being able to breathe means nothing if there’s no blood to oxygenate. THINKING goes a long way towards casualty survival. SURVIVAL IS THE NAME OF THE GAME.

There’s a LOT of medical training resources online and especially youtube so seize the day!!