Gun Owners Hail ‘Monumental Victory’ For Gun Rights In 4th Circuit Ruling

Lady Liberty Justice
Gun Owners Hail ‘Monumental Victory’ For Gun Rights In 4yh Circuit Ruling, IMG istock

BELLEVUE, WA – -(AmmoLand.com)- The Second Amendment Foundation said this week’s ruling by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals declaring the ban on handgun sales to young adults in the 18-20-year age group to be unconstitutional is a “monumental victory for Second Amendment rights.”

Judge Julius N. Richardson, writing for the majority, observed, “Looking through this historical lens to the text and structure of the Constitution reveals that 18- to 20-year-olds have Second Amendment rights. Virtually every other constitutional right applies whatever the age. And the Second Amendment is no different.”

“Judge Richardson, in my estimation, has authored one of the best-written opinions in any gun rights case I’ve ever read,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “He has detailed the issue, provided the history and offered a perspective that doesn’t bow to political correctness.”

Gottlieb was especially impressed with Judge Richardson’s notation about the ironic nature of the gun control law being challenged.

“The irony does not escape us,” Judge Richardson wrote, “that, under the government’s reasoning, the same 18- to 20-year-old men and women we depend on to protect us in the armed forces and who have since our Founding been trusted with the most sophisticated weaponry should nonetheless be prevented from purchasing a handgun from a federally licensed dealer for their own protection at home.”

“I’ve said the same thing repeatedly,” Gottlieb acknowledged, “because it strikes at the very heart of gun control foolishness. We send young men and women into harm’s way to defend our national interests, yet our laws arbitrarily say they shouldn’t be trusted enough to buy a handgun here at home. That defies logic and common sense, and it’s an insult to anyone in the affected age group who can vote for president, run for local office, start his or her own business, buy a home, enter into contracts or get married and start a family.

“We have similar cases pending in Illinois, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Washington, California, Minnesota and other states that this Fourth Circuit ruling could directly impact,” Gottlieb said. “The importance of common-sense decisions such as Judge Richardson’s cannot be over-stated.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing, and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 700,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.Second Amendment Foundation

RoyD
RoyD
3 months ago

And then we have articles like this one from the National Review which goes to great lengths to avoid dealing with “the elephant in the room.”

The Racist Reality of Gun Control (msn.com)

Krythic
Krythic
Reply to  RoyD

It’s quite humerous to me, how Democrats loathe the idea of requiring ID for voting because it “hinders black americans who don’t have IDs” (This is a lie by the way), but they’re fine with limiting those same black americans from obtaining firearms because they can’t get an ID to purchase them.

Black americans need to seriously wake the hell up, and realize who is trying to help them, and who isn’t. Democrats have been playing blacks for centuries; ever since they lost them as slaves.

DonP
DonP
3 months ago

Apparently the judge is not aware that 17-year-olds can also join the military.

RoyD
RoyD
Reply to  DonP

I took the oath at 17 years three months. Delayed entry. Went active four months later and arrived at Ft Ord for basic ten days after graduating high school.

Russn8r
Russn8r
Reply to  RoyD

My Dad tried to join up in Dec 1941. Had to come back in a month when he was 17.

Rogue Fox
Rogue Fox
Reply to  DonP

First, joining at 17 requires parents’ permission. Second, they aren’t authorized to deploy to a combat zone until 18 even if they finish all their training before turning 18.

Russn8r
Russn8r
Reply to  Rogue Fox

My Dad was in combat zones at 17 in WWII, and they knew he was 17 because they made him wait until his birthday in Jan ’42 to enlist. Was the rule changed, or not enforced?

Krythic
Krythic
Reply to  DonP

Honestly, this is very easily fixed. And I say this as someone who loves the second amendment. If Democrats have such a huge problem with 18 year olds having firearms, then why not just make it so only 21+ year olds can join the military? Problem solved.

Russn8r
Russn8r
Reply to  Krythic

Want a poison pill? 21 to vote. Ds won’t like it. They want to cut it to 5.

“I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way!”

Gag

Last edited 3 months ago by Russn8r
DonP
DonP
Reply to  Krythic

I’d like to see them try and get enough enlistments then.

Tackleberry
Tackleberry
3 months ago

Between SAF, GOA, and FPC, I sent $300/m toward their efforts. I am ecstatic about the progress these groups are making in restoring our 2A rights.

Years of one-way “compromise” and apathy have led us down a steady line of infringement that I’m sure the Founding Fathers would find abhorrent.

Tackleberry
Tackleberry
Reply to  Tackleberry

In the grand scheme of things, my donations are but a pittance, but they have my help so long as they keep pressing forward. If I could give back my life membership from the NRA I’d do so in a heartbeat.

Last edited 3 months ago by Tackleberry
willyd
willyd
Reply to  Tackleberry

I’m surprised that the NRA didn’t jump on this to claim a victory, same as all battles done by other groups fighting for the Second Amendment, Lapue needs to go!!!!!!!!!

Stag
Stag
Reply to  Tackleberry

I wish I could get back the money sent to the NRA. Instead I’ll just have to keep my Benefactor Membership and continue to be a thorn in their side at every event.