Today is Thursday, October 23, 2014rss RSS feed
Target's Non-Ban Gun Ban

Target’s Non-Ban Gun Ban

Virginia Citizens Defense League

Virginia Citizens Defense League

Covington VA --(Ammoland.com)- Target has followed Starbucks’s and Chipotle’s lead and is “asking” gun owners not to carry in their stores.

That is totally different from banning guns.

It’s meant to shut up the Lying Moms Demand Action (LMDA) members (all 30 of them), while leaving everything else status quo.

** For gun owners, it really means nothing has changed at all. **

What’s happening is really pretty simple. Starbucks, Chipotle, and Target are in the business of selling things. They were not formed to either protect, or to hurt, the Second Amendment or any of the other Amendments for that matter. And they certainly don’t want to be in the middle of a battle over those rights. They just want to sell things regardless of their customer’s religion, politics, race, gender, or any other status.

So the LMDA starts whining (and they are really good at that!) and the corporation tries to figure out how to extricate themselves from the controversy, while keeping as many of their customers as they can. They aren’t anti-gun or anti-self-defense, they just want out of the middle.

The solution is what we are seeing now. It goes like this: in a soon-to-be-forgotten press release, they announce that they are “asking” gun owners not to bring guns in their stores. And, in the same press release, they make it clear that they are not actually banning guns. No gun-buster stickers on the doors, no one asked to leave if they do carry.

A Target spokesperson specifically stated that this policy is NOT a gun ban.

Some gun owners want to boycott places like Starbucks, Chipotle, and Target because these stores ASKED that guns not be carried there. Far be it from me to tell any of you how or where to spend your hard-earned cash. But for me, it’s life as usual. I will continue to go to Starbucks and Target and I will be carrying. If they didn’t want me there, they’d TELL me, not ASK me.

If Target were to start kicking gun owners out of their stores, that would change everything. But there has been no hint of any such thing happening from either Starbucks or Chipotle and I don’t think it will happen at Target either.

This question has been coming up: if the LMDA attacks stores like Target to ban guns, shouldn’t we counter them?

That’s a good question without an easy answer. Gun owners DID lobby Starbucks heavily and in the end we got a non-ban ban. We did NOT lobby Target and we got a non-ban ban.

From a store’s point of view the non-ban ban is a great way to resolve such an issue. It’s hard for us to argue and win against a ban that does nothing but stop some loud whining from grown women.

We could try to punish the stores in question, but why? They said we can still carry and that we are still welcome there. What is it we would be fighting to accomplish that we don’t already have?

I say we hold our ire for a store that actually ends up banning guns. THEN VCDL will kick into high gear with protests, email, mail and robocalls against those stores. They will be lit up like a deer in the headlights, for our numbers are vastly superior and our members are much more dedicated and articulate than anything LMDA could ever hope to muster.

For now we have a non-event.

There is one caveat, however: if you hear the media saying that Target has instituted a gun ban, do not let that pass. They are probably parroting something they heard elsewhere without actually investigating what was really said by Target. Make sure everyone understands the truth about these non-ban bans.

Again Target SPECIFICALLY said there is NO gun ban, just a polite request.

About:
Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right. Visit: www.vcdl.org

• 16 User comments to “Target’s Non-Ban Gun Ban”

1. thepunisher on July 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM said:

Target Stores better watch their “P’s & Q’s” if they want to stay in business.

In the past nine months, target was “hacked” for millions of credit-card numbers and customer’s personal info. If Target can’t protect themselves, what makes you (the individual) think that protecting you is in their best? The best way to hurt businesses that attack the Second Amendment is to take your money elsewhere. That includes TUNING OUT Bloomberg News on your satellite or cable provider.

Remember:

It’s not about revenge – it’s about PUNISHMENT!

The Punisher

2. Charles Nichols on July 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM said:

Concealed carry is of no use to me, I don’t carry a purse.

“[A] right to carry arms openly: “This is the right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, and which is calculated to incite men to a manly and noble defence of themselves, if necessary, and of their country, without any tendency to secret advantages and unmanly assassinations.”” District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 – Supreme Court (2008) at 2809.

“Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose. For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues.” District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 – Supreme Court (2008) at 2816.

“[T]he right of the people to keep and bear arms (art. 2) is not infringed by laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons…” Robertson v. Baldwin, 165 US 275 – Supreme Court (1897) at 282

Charles Nichols – President of California Right To Carry

3. john Carr on July 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM said:

I promise you Target I will never carry my “legal” hand gun in your store. I stopped shopping at your junk store when you stopped the Salvation Army from setting up at Christmas.
      I encourage everybody to tell Target to kiss your a**. As much as I dislike Wal-Mart they honor gun owners rights.

4. RE Hafner on July 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM said:

Time to say no to Target. Put them out of business.

5. brian winters on July 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM said:

Open carry of long guns can scare non gun people and make them believe negative stereotypes. Whenever I have spoken at a public forum abotu guns I wore a coat and tie and was as calm and rational as I can be even when I was told that myself and all gun owners are accomplices to all gun deaths.

6. askeptic on July 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM said:

“Time to say no to Target. Put them out of business.”

Target is doing a pretty good job of that all on their own. Though from CA where the open/concealed carry of firearms is virtually impossible to do legally, I have no intention of carrying anything more dangerous than pocket-lint into a Target, no matter where I am.
      One thing I will not do is enter a Target with either cash or plastic.

7. Chuck Cassity on July 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM said:

I would suggest you concentrate on selling Pampers and T-shirts and stay away from public policy positions that can “Target” you by, oh, say 100,000,000 gun-owing Americans. Disregard my sage advice at your mortal peril…

8. Wildfire on July 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM said:

I will however honor Target’s wishes and not enter their store with my tools of protection, per their asking so nicely.

Because I have loved ones whose lives are *WORTH* protecting, I will no longer enter Target stores.

9. I dont shop at Target anyway !

10. Marc Brewer on July 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM said:

Hmmm, well, I for one WILL continue to shop at target. I will conceal carry like I always do. All they did was merely ASK people not to open carry, some of you act like they just slapped your mother. Seriously, geeeeeez

As for “put em outta business” comments….SMH, really? Are YOU gonna support all those workers and their families?

11. Moot point for me ! I dont shop at Target nohow ! Target will be out of business soon !

12. They did ask politely…so I will honor their request….and shop elsewhere while doing so.

13. Our local minnesota gun rights group (GOCRA) did have members call and e-mail Target to let them know that we were opposed to them posting signs at thier stores. Yes, I do spend money at Target and Chipotle and yes I always carry when in thier stores.

14. Mike11C on July 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM said:

I can’t speak for other states but, in Texas, there MUST be a very specific sign in front of ANY store or other business that is in accordance with the Texas Penal Code 30.06 or it is perfectly legal to carry your licensed concealed handgun into that establishment. A simple sign that says “No Guns” is not good enough for the law. They CAN ask you to leave but, that’s like going barefooted into a store that requires you to wear shoes. It’s no big deal. If you’re asked to leave, just go and take your money with you.

15. Target sitting on the fence.

16. […] to neutrality. Even the national chains have been unwilling to actually ban guns . They just issue nonbinding requests 4 to placate the Bloomberg media […]