Covington VA –-(Ammoland.com)- On May 9th 2015 the Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club (RRRC) again hosted the VCDL/RRRC Defensive Pistol Shoot (IDPA).
This was a big undertaking, much more than the average person might think, but it ran like a well-oiled machine thanks to Board member Al Steed Jr. and all the wonderful people and businesses listed below. (There are some photos of the event on the VCDL web site: http://vcdl.org. The videos are not working yet, as we need to get some additional software.)
Here’s the report:
It was a beautiful day for a shooting match! This year’s match set a new record with 95 shooters, dwarfing previous years! For those keeping track, 95 shooter fired about 9,500 rounds of ammunition — with NO SAFETY problems, no one injured, and only a few targets escaping unfazed in the process! 😉
We wish to thank the 23 folks from RRRC who made this possible, along with the Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club for their support:
Simon Leray – the match manager, Mike Bailey, Bobby Baker, Bill Barnette, Ken Clark, Paul Deel, Dwight Fix, Bobby Fleshman, Noel Gardner, Janice Gregory, Matt Gregory, Larry Harris, Mike Henson, Tim Honaker, Steven Kinsey, Tiffany Kinsey (Tiffany provided invaluable help with scoring the match), Kathy Smith, Josh Stowers, Joe Stowers, Rob Tackett, John Webster, and Greg Zachman.
These hard working RRRC members worked a LONG (from approx. 7 AM to 6 PM) day to make sure the match was set up, ran smoothly, and equipment was torn down and put away. They helped to make sure that it was a fun day for all! Yes, several are members of VCDL also.
The following businesses and individuals donated prizes and are deeply appreciated:
- BIG BOYZ GUNS, 4568 Blue Ridge Blvd, Blue Ridge VA, 540-650-2520, donated a TAURUS CT9 for the drawing AND also donated about 50 smaller items (Pepper spray, “T” shirts and such)
- “POI” (POINT OF IMPACT), maker of steel reactive target systems, SALEM VA; 540-929-1881, donated a small target stand as a “shooter prize”, and a top-notch steel reactive target as a drawing prize
- TRAPPER DAN'S GUNS, donated 9mm ammunition, holsters, a gun cleaning mat, hats and cup holders
- TRADER JERRY'S, 724 4TH ST, SALEM VA, donated a Remington Gun Care System, an ammunition box with special inserts for organizing items, and a Sarge knife set.
- SPORTSMAN WAREHOUSE donated $50 worth of ammunition
- FRANKLIN OUTDOORS, 320 OLD FRANKLIN TPKE, ROCKY MOUNT, VA, donated a $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE
- BRYANSTEEN'S GUN and ARCHERY donated three $15.00 gift certificates
- KIM'S CANDLES, BLUE RIDGE 540-529-4206, Donated a nice Lavender Candle
- JOHN PIERCE, VCDL EM and Second Amendment attorney, donated FOUR CUDA safety glass sets
- JULIA CRUMP, gave a $50 CASH DONATION
- EM KEN MODICA donated bottled drinking water and hot dogs, PLUS he made TWO trips during the shoot for more WATER and supplies! (It was a WARM day and water was in demand.)
- AL & LINDA STEED, donated both AMMO CANS and METAL PROTECTOR (“MP”) SPRAY
- SHELLIE MEIKLE, HEATHER AND STEPHEN baked a LARGE, TASTY, SHEET CAKE with decorations!
Also thanks go to SHERRILL SMITH, BILL WASH, and others for their donations of water, drinks, and their TIME to help with set up; cooking, serving food, and clean up!
SEVERAL others donated items–without leaving their names with us. If we left anyone out, please forgive us!
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO DONATED PRIZES!
SHOOTERS AND VCDL MEMBERS–REMEMBER TO THANK THE ABOVE SUPPORTERS WHEN YOU VISIT THEIR STORES!!
Getting donations for this event wasn’t easy for several of our supporters, requiring several trips from our hard working members (ED FRENCH; KEN MODICA; SHERRILL SMITH; JOHN EVERETTE; AL STEED JR and others) to get prizes lined up for the match.
Your support of those who supported us will go a long way to make this effort easier net time! Please remember to say “THANK YOU” to our supporters and to patronize their businesses whenever possible.
Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right. Visit: www.vcdl.org