New Jersey –-(Ammoland.com)- With the take over of the New Jersey Governors office by rabid gun banning Democrat, Phil Murphy, the first attack on NJ gun owners rights and property, of what will be many, has been launched. The proposed bill would ban most all the rifles and shotguns you currently own and legally bought under the current NJ laws.
Sponsored by state senator Senator Nia H. Gill this bill would “strengthen” the State’s current assault weapons ban by revising the definition of an “assault weapon” to include: rifles with detachable magazines and one military style feature; semi-automatic shotguns with one military style feature; and semi-automatic pistols with one military style feature.
You can read the bill here:
The current definition of an assault weapon sets forth a list of prohibited firearms and specifically includes any firearm that is “substantially identical” to any of the enumerated firearms. Under State regulations, a semi-automatic firearm is to be considered substantially identical to an enumerated firearm if it meets certain criteria. This bill codifies these regulations while expanding the number of firearms that would be considered assault weapons by adding criteria and reducing the number of criteria that must be met from two to one. For example, under current regulations, a semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two listed criteria would be considered an assault weapon.
These criteria include:
- a folding telescoping stock,
- a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
- a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
- and a grenade launcher.
Under the bill, additional criteria are added including a thumbhole stock and a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand. The bill also requires that only one criteria be met, rather than the currently required two.
Now is the time to start calling. Ask them for a no vote once in committee. Law and public safety committee members.
- Senator Linda R. Greenstein (D) (Assistant Majority Leader) DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS: 1249 South River Rd. Suite 105 Cranbury, NJ 08512 PHONE NUMBER: (609) 395-9911 FAX NUMBER: (609) 395-9032
- Senator Patrick J. Diegnan Jr. (D) DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS: 908 Oak Tree Ave. Unit P South Plainfield, NJ 07080 PHONE NUMBER: (908) 757-1677
- Senator Christopher “Kip” Bateman (R) DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS: 36 East Main St. Somerville, NJ 08876 PHONE NUMBER: (908) 526-3600
- Senator Joseph P. Cryan (D) DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESSES: 985 Stuyvesant Ave. Union, NJ 07083 1120 East Jersey St. Elizabeth, NJ 07201 PHONE NUMBERS: (908) 624-0880 (Union) (908) 327-9119 (Elizabeth)
- Senator Declan J. O’Scanlon Jr. (R) DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS: (Temporary) 32 Monmouth St. 3rd Floor Red Bank, NJ 07701 PHONE NUMBER: (732) 933-1591
- Senator Nicholas J. Sacco (D) DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS: 9060 Palisade Ave. North Bergen, NJ 07047 PHONE NUMBER: (201) 295-0200
About New Jersey Oath Keepers
NJ Oath Keepers is a Constitution Education Outreach, Public Safety, Civil Rights and Anti-Terrorist Group that is composed of Current and former Military Members, Police, Reservists, Sheriffs Officers, Firefighters, First Responders and concerned citizens that have sworn an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States. www.njoathkeepers.org