Where does the M&P 380 Shield EZ have a place in the shooting world?
USA – (Ammoland.com) The new Smith & Wesson M&P 380 Shield EZ coming as a surprise to most gun owners, I don't think that any of us expected to see a larger single stack .380 ACP from a large manufacturer. Many of us that digest gun content thought that the M&P 380 Shield EZ was a gun that no one had asked for and was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
How wrong we all were.
There are a ton of gun owners that aren't interested in the latest door kicking gun or even a large gun like the full-size M&P 9 M2.0. There is a growing segment of female shooters that are clamoring for a pistol that can be easily manipulated as well as countless others that just flat out can't run a gun like those of us that digest gun content on a regular basis.
So yes, this gun has been asked for, the rest of the gun industry just hasn't been listening.
M&P 380 Shield EZ Specs:
- Easy to rack slide.
- Crisp, light trigger with tactile and audible trigger reset.
- Includes (2) Easy to Load 8-Round M&P380 Shield magazines.
- Grip safety – grip pistol to fire.
- Windage adjustable, white dot rear sight (tool included).
- Can disassemble without pulling trigger.
- Grip texture optimized to size and recoil.
- Tactile loaded chamber indicator (TLCI) – can see and feel if there is a round in the chamber.
- Available with or without ambidextrous, manual thumb safety.
- Picatinny-style equipment rail for lights or lasers.
- Perfect size for nightstand or carry, or a day at the range.
- Reversible magazine release.
- Thin and lightweight – can be comfortably carried all day.
- Optimal 18-degree grip angle for natural point of aim.
- Armornite durable corrosion resistant finish.
- SKU: 11663
- Model: M&P 380 SHILD EZ Manual Thumb Safety
- Caliber: .380 Auto
- Capacity: 8+1
- Barrel Length: 3.675″ / 9.3 cm
- Overall Length: 6.7″
- Front Sight: White Dot
- Rear Sight: Adjustable White Dot
- Action: Internal Hammer Fired
- Grip: Polymer
- Weight: 18.5 oz / 524.5g
- Barrel Material: Stainless Steel – Armornite® Finish
- Slide Material: Stainless Steel – Armornite® Finish
- Frame Material: Polymer
- Purpose: Concealed Carry, Home Protection, Personal Protection
The first thing that I did when I got my hands on the new M&P 380 Shield EZ was checking the chamber, just like anyone that displays good gun handling skills should. To my surprise, I could have sworn that I was pulling the slide back on a .22 lr pistol and not a .380 ACP. Yes, it really is that easy.
Overall fit and finish on the pistol that I was able to shoot was very good given its sub $400 price point MSRP and should make most people happy. Several of the features really hone in on that consumer group that has largely been ignored and been forced to accept the J frame revolver as their mascot. What features could that be? Glad you asked.
The pistol comes equipped with an internal hammer that provides a crisp, easy to pull 5-pound trigger pull on a solid trigger that does not have a trigger safety like all other M&P pistols. Smith also added a grip safety to the gun to make sure that the gun is not only drop safe (yes I checked), but also ensure that when the gun is inevitably dropped into a purse, sock drawer, or even a diaper bag without a holster. Like it or not, some people just aren't going to practice safe gun handling with their carry piece and those people are more often than not in the demographic that would really appreciate the M&P 380 Shield EZ.
Shooting the M&P 380 Shield EZ
While I saw a real use for the M&P 380 Shield EZ, I was almost sure that I was going to hate the thing on the range. Wrong again. Not only is the magazine easy to load, but the gun shoots flat as hell! Normally .380 ACP pistols care snappy, flippy little pistols that just aren't fun to shoot. I wanted to keep shooting this thing all day but sadly had to put it down to do some other things.
I could go on, but I think the video above or below really does say it all.
View this post on Instagram
Got a chance to shoot the new M&P Shield EZ. Make sure to check it out. @mrgunsngear @triplecrange @xssights #gunsdaily #gunchannels #dailydefense #concealcarry #ccw #edc #gunsofinstagram #igmilitia #tacticalgear #gunstragram #sickgunsallday #380acp #hashtagtactical #pewpew #edcgear #gunsofig #concealedcarrynation #selfdefense #weaponsreloaded #gunsbadassery #weaponsfanatics #dailygundose #firearmphotography #gunspictures #TacticalMinded
I REALLY want to get one of these for teaching new shooters and for my wife to carry. Badly. I also secretly really enjoy shooting it and would love to see Smith & Wesson develop a full-size M&P 380 EZ. I would be the first in line at the gun store to order one since it is probably the most fun I have had shooting centerfire pistols in a long time.
About Patrick R.
Patrick is a firearms enthusiast that values the quest for not only the best possible gear setup, but also pragmatic ways to improve his shooting skills across a wide range of disciplines. He values truthful, honest information above all else and had committed to cutting through marketing fluff to deliver the truth. You can find the rest of his work on FirearmRack.com as well as on the YouTube channel Firearm Rack or Instagram at @thepatrickroberts.