By Rob Morse
Southern California –-(Ammoland.com) This is an un-teachable moment. A young man stabbed three people and shot three people next to the University of Santa Barbara campus Friday evening.
This should teach us what makes us safe and what doesn’t. This should teach us, but we don’t want to learn.
In his statements, a pampered and failing son blames everyone for his failures, everyone except himself. He drives an expensive car and lives a pampered life, none of which he earned. He writes about hating his parents and wanting to stab his step mother and brother. After his son’s death, a father of one of the victims blames the NRA and politicians who allowed guns into the world.. while his son was killed in a gun free zone.
Do you notice a pattern here? The father blames mental illness. A father blames guns and the NRA. The son blamed others for his problems. Unfortunately, you and I are also part of this same pattern. We refuse to learn from past mistakes and blame others instead.
Rather than place blame, let me describe the next public murder for you.
- The murderer has a narcissistic personality and demands attention. He wants his name in the news and will kill to get it there.
- The attack will be launched against people in a gun free zone. Narcissists don’t like competition.
- The murderer will have mental health issues and will probably be on psychotropic drugs prescribed by a doctor.
- The murderer will be enthralled by violent video games and spends a lot of time playing them.
- There will be warning signs, and they will be ignored.
Let me tell you about what the next murderer didn’t do.
- The murderer will have limited exposure to competitive athletics. Narcissists can’t stand to obey the rules, to fail, and be expected to rise and try again.. just like everyone else.
- The murderer will have very limited exposure to Christian religious training. Why listen to god and serve god when you really want to be god.. for a minute. Narcissists do not subjugate themselves to authority.
Making predictions about the media’s reaction to the next public murder is too easy. Liberal media will blame the NRA and lax gun laws.. even though this latest crime was committed in the state with the strictest firearms laws.
- California is rated first among the 50 states for restricting firearms by the Brady Campaign.
- California has strict gun-free school zone laws so there were no armed defenders within thousands of feet of the UCSB campus.
- Santa Barbara sheriff Bill Brown so dislikes armed citizens that he refuses to issue concealed carry permits.
In short, this mass murder took place in a gun control paradise.. again. This crime should have been impossible if gun control actually worked.
Evidence says gun control doesn’t work, but we won’t learn from our mistakes.
Instead, liberal politicians will double down on gun control and claim it is for the children. The media will support them.
Here comes the new tragedy, same as the old tragedy.. until we learn.
About Rob Morse: By day, Rob Morse works as a mild mannered engineer for a Southern California defense contractor. By night he writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Gun Rights Magazine, Clash Daily and on his SlowFacts blog. He is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.