McMillan Announces the Limited Edition of the M40A1 Commemorative Marine Corps Sniper Rifle Package
Phoenix, Arizona –-(Ammoland.com)- McMillan is building 20 limited edition M40A1 Commemorative United States Marine Corps sniper rifle packages in honor of the Marine Corps and the legacy of the military sniper.
The M40A1 rifles are being built to the exact configuration as those originally issued. McMillan is calling the series Project 8541—the number used to designate Marine Corps snipers.
Gale McMillan, founder of McMillan, worked with the Marine Corps in 1975 to develop the M40A1 sniper rifle, recognized today as the first rifle designed as a true sniper rifle. The M40A1 is credited with the birth of the modern sniper rifle as well as ushering in a new era of rifle technology. For Gale McMillan’s contribution, in 2000 the Marine Corps presented him with a Service Award, a used dewatted M40A1. Each of the commemorative rifles is a replica of Gale McMillan’s original M40A1 rifle.
To further ensure the authenticity of the M40A1 Commemorative Rifle, McMillan traveled to Quantico Marine Corps Base and interviewed Marine armorers on specifications and gunsmithing procedures.
Each rifle is equipped with a MST-100 scope, period correct base and rings, Wichita swivels, leather military sling, and a numbered certificate of authenticity. The package comes in a custom inlet olive Pelican case.
In addition to the rifle, each package includes an original returned M40A1 stock from an actual USMC M40A1 service rifle. The Marine Corps issued 20 original stocks, each as unique in appearance as the men who used them. They come complete with the actual swivels and bottom metal they were received with, some matching some simply attached, but all original.
“The original rifle stocks have seen combat in places like Panama, Granada and Desert Storm. We only have 20 stocks available for the commercial market. It is a great rifle package for anyone who honors the Marine Corps and the sniper program. McMillan is proud to be part of our military history,” said Kelly McMillan, director of operations for McMillan .
According to Ryan McMillan, vice president of McMillan Firearms, “Collectors will appreciate owning a piece of history when purchasing the M40A1 Rifle Package.”
M40A1 Commemorative Rifle Specifications:
- The 25” barrel utilizes conventional rifling with a 1 in 12” twist and has a M40A1 spec barrel contour. It is finished off with a deep recessed target crown matching the rifle given to Gale McMillan.
- The action is a blue-printed Remington 700 short action that includes surface ground recoil lug; trued receiver face, threads, receiver lug shoulders and bolt head, and finally lapped bolt lugs. The receiver is machined with the correct stripper clip slots along with the ejection port modification and is marked “U.S.” above the serial number to match the original issue M40A1.
- The stock is a McMillan plain HTG with molded-in forest camo, like the original, no stippling or checkering is present. Correct Wichita 1 1/4” sling swivels are anchored into the stock by internal molded-in steel inserts per the original contract. The 1/2” brown Pachmayr basket weave recoil pad is fitted for the 13 1/2″ LOP. The action is hand bedded along with the 1 1/2” of barrel cylinder forward of the recoil lug. The remainder of the barrel is free-floated.
- The bottom metal is steel Winchester Model 70 style two-piece modified for the M40A1. Socket cap bolts, not factory slotted guard screws hold everything together. Like the originals, the BDL magazine box is welded to the receiver.
- The serial numbers on all sub assemblies reflect the high level of attention to detail. The last 4 digits of the serial number are stamped into the bolt handle, bottom metal including both the door and trigger bow, scope base, and barrel. “RTE-P”, the proof mark of the dedicated USMC creators of the original M40A1, has been reproduced and placed along side the serial number on the barrel.
- The scope is a continuation of the original contract steel tubed MST-100 10x furnished on the M40A1s. US Optics picked up the scope contract after it ran out with Unertl and performed all upgrades and refurbishing, as well as supplying new optics.
- The scope base is hand fitted to the receiver just as the originals were. The one piece period correct U.S.O. base and rings are a true match to the original Unertl mounts. The trigger is a Remington trigger tuned to a crisp 3 pounds.
For additional information visit McMillan’s website, www.mcmillanusa.com
McMillan Group International, located in Phoenix, Arizona, is the corporate parent for a family of firearms companies committed to excellence in the firearms industry. Companies include McMillan Firearms Manufacturing (formerly “McBros”), a manufacturer of the McMillan tactical and hunting rifles; McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, a leading manufacturer of premium custom fiberglass stocks for hunting, competition, tactical and OEM markets; and McMillan Machine Company a contract manufacturer of precision machined parts.