Within heavy duty classes, the Ram 3500 took top honors for outstanding pulling power, braking, fuel economy, comfort and handling under extreme towing conditions. Award winners were announced following the 2015 Denver Auto Show press day on April 8, 2015.
“Ram Heavy Duty trucks are equipped with a long list of exclusive features that set them ahead of the competition, including a cargo view camera, air bag suspension option and of course the hard-hitting 6.7-liter Cummins turbo diesel engine with best-in-class torque,” said Bob Hegbloom, President and CEO – Ram Truck Brand. “This award from TFLtruck recognizes Ram’s overall commitment to engineering and innovation leadership, which includes a four-pillar list of best-in-class titles; fuel economy at 29 mpg, torque at 865 lb.-ft., payload at 7,390 pounds and towing at 30,000 pounds.”
To score the trucks, TFLtruck editors took to the notorious Eisenhower Pass “Ike Gauntlet” located outside Denver with a 21,600-pound trailer in tow. The grueling climb reaches elevations in excess of 11,000 feet with increasing grade near the peak. At the end of the haul, the Ram 3500 Heavy Duty excelled.
“The 2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty was loaded with a 21,600-pound trailer for Gross Combined Weight of nearly 31,000 pounds,” said Andre Smirnov, Technical Editor at TFLtruck. “The Ram dually came out on top based on its confident downhill performance, consistent uphill climb and leading observed fuel mileage among the competitors.”
The Ike Gauntlet drive is not the sole criteria to determine the winner in each category. The Ram 3500 also was judged on its overall performance unloaded.
Gold Hitch Award-eligible trucks include 2015 model year pickups (or trucks from previous model years that have not significantly changed for 2015). Trucks are only eligible for the award if they were tested before March 31, 2015.
Moving into the 2015 model year, Ram continues to beat the competition in the two most sought-after titles, fuel economy and towing capacity:
- Best-in-class fuel economy with exclusive EcoDiesel – 29 mpg with Ram 1500
- Best-in-class towing capability – 30,000 pounds with Ram 3500
- Best-in-class payload – 7,390 pounds with Ram 3500
- Best-in-class torque – 865 lb.-ft. with Ram 3500 equipped with Cummins
Follow Ram and FCA US news and video on:
- FCA Content On Demand (COD): www.fcacod.com
- Company blog: http://blog.fcanorthamerica.com
- Company website: www.fcanorthamerica.com
- Media website: http://media.fcanorthamerica.com
- FCA360: www.fca360.com
- Ram Trucks brand: www.ramtrucks.com
- Ram Zone blog: www.ramzone.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/RamTrucks or www.facebook.com/ChryslerGroup
- Flickr: www.flickr.com/RamTrucks or www.flickr.com/ChryslerGroup
- Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ramtrucks or www.pinterest.com/FCAcorporate
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ramtrucks or www.instagram.com/FCAcorporate
- Streetfire: www.streetfire.net/uploaded/chryslervideo.htm
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/RamTrucks or www.twitter.com/FCAcorporate
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/RamTrucks or www.youtube.com/pentastarvideo
TFLtruck is the most popular online video reviews, news and views publication. Nearly 2.5 million truck buyers watch TFLtruck video reviews and tests every month. This includes the signature “TFL Ike Gauntlet” extreme towing test, which challenges the trucks to the absolute maximum of their performance capability. Simply put -TFLtruck is All Trucks All The Time.
About Ram Truck Brand
Since its launch as a stand-alone division in 2009, the Ram Truck Brand has steadily emerged as an industry leader with one goal: to build the best pickup trucks and commercial vehicles in the industry. Creating a distinct identity for Ram Trucks has allowed the brand to concentrate on core customers and features they find valuable. Whether focusing on a family that uses a Ram 1500 day in and day out, a hard-working Ram 3500 Heavy Duty owner or a business that depends on its Ram ProMaster commercial van every day for deliveries, Ram has the truck market covered. In order to be the best, it takes a commitment to innovation, capability, efficiency and durability. Ram Truck invests substantially in its products, infusing them with great looks, refined interiors, durable engines and exclusive features that further enhance their capabilities. Truck customers, from half-ton to commercial, have a demanding range of needs and require their vehicles to provide high levels of capability. Ram trucks are designed to deliver a total package.
For more information, please visit www.RamTrucks.com.